Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I once avoided a 20 minute gridlock by taking one of those slip ramps and just getting right back on the freeway on the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

This section here is the canary for my city's traffic.
Basically, if anything goes wrong somewhere in my city - traffic-wise - this entropic mess gets backlogged quickly.
It actually works remarkably well, given how fugly it is. Ideally, the middle interchange wouldn't be there, but there isn't a way to distribute the sheer quantity of traffic that needs to go 'up' or 'down' through it any other way. This is probably the fifth major iteration of that interchange; it's taken a lot of time to get working (there are mini-slowdowns, but those are always caused by lane-switching).

There's generic industry just south of the picture, my first large residential hub to the north and roughly half of my city to the east. We just hit 75k population and I'd guess half the traffic in the city goes through that turbine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's this kind of intersection called?

I made one but I couldn't get the roads to line up all pretty. You can't see the really heavy road this is intersecting because it's in a tunnel bypassing the intersection just like the tunnel entrance at the north side of the intersection in the satellite image.

They are really common in China. (It's also not unheard of to find cars parked in the intersection.)

No idea what they are called, but Mexicali Mexico has a bunch of intersections using various combinations of tunnels and/or bridges bypassing intersections that are sometimes like those, and sometimes round-abouts or bastardized round-abouts. They work really well if you are taking the tunnel or bridge... not so much if you need to make a turn and not use the bypass.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Arglebargle III posted:

What's this kind of intersection called?

I made one but I couldn't get the roads to line up all pretty. You can't see the really heavy road this is intersecting because it's in a tunnel bypassing the intersection just like the tunnel entrance at the north side of the intersection in the satellite image.

They are really common in China. (It's also not unheard of to find cars parked in the intersection.)

Like always there's a mod for that:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2182208524

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Does anyone get white outlines on ninjanoobslayer's vehicles? The farther out I zoom the worse they look. Example:

Not so bad zoomed in but awful from far away. I tried a bunch of different anti-alias settings but no luck. This has been happening for years but I'm finally trying to get to the bottom of it.

Maybe it's just the assets...

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I think it's an unfortunate combination of mipmapping + texture bleed because of the atlas on the asset. Have had this problem myself when creating stuff as well.

Maybe the Sharp Textures mod helps?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its been 5 months since I loaded this game. I have missed it. Some really useful new mods. Some useful mods completely broken.

Didn't really 'finish' anything today apart from this junction but I worked on a fair whack of stuff in the background.

This junction leads off from this Motorway interchange.

Still only got 15k population!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its almost 2 years since I last did a video on my city. Its had a name change since then and various face lifts in lighting and skyboxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7wjQcswBo

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Looking for some inspiration as someone who doesn't want to deal with mods at all.

Do any of you any recommendation, of someone/somewhere that does awesome poo poo with just the current vanilla offerings?

I can look at streams, screenshots..how-to articles, whatever. There's no dearth of folks doing amazing looking stuff with all the modded goodness.. but you know, I mostly just want to zone out after work, making pretty towns, solving simple problems - not deal with dependencies and mod-related breakage. Extra points if I can look for particular topics.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Splorange posted:

Looking for some inspiration as someone who doesn't want to deal with mods at all.

Do any of you any recommendation, of someone/somewhere that does awesome poo poo with just the current vanilla offerings?

I can look at streams, screenshots..how-to articles, whatever. There's no dearth of folks doing amazing looking stuff with all the modded goodness.. but you know, I mostly just want to zone out after work, making pretty towns, solving simple problems - not deal with dependencies and mod-related breakage. Extra points if I can look for particular topics.

ImperialJedi has a vanilla series that's got like -25 ish videos in it on youtube that shows the whole city process

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Waroduce posted:

ImperialJedi has a vanilla series that's got like -25 ish videos in it on youtube that shows the whole city process

gently caress me...I'm a dense moron.. 7 minutes into the "How to" series and I already learned that elevation steps can be changed to lower than 12m and junction traffic light/stop signs can be toggled.

I have a couple of hundred hours in this, on off over the years.. but I used to be with it, they just changed what it was. :eng99:

Also, thanks!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is Sunset Harbor worth it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is Sunset Harbor worth it?

I'd say no, free stuff coming out in the form of mods like Intersection Marking Tool and Node Controller is more game-changing than anything the devs have produced since initial release IMO.

Here's what this stupid game looks like these days if you put only a bit of effort into doing better nodes and markings on the freeways alone BTW:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've got my city up to 91k people and I'm only just starting my first ore mine.
Biggest challenge today was trying to sort out the traffic in my generic industry area. Just masses of traffic backing up even with pretty decent through-flow. Ended up having to make the external roads into a one-way system and then experiment with road layout to get something that works.

I also set up yet another Cable Car route and within a couple of in-game months, over 600 people were using it. I'm really starting to like Cable Cars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cable cars are very good and people really like using them, can you run them over buildings in vanilla? I do with mods on and it's one of the best things about them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Another few hours in this game and they could possibly be some of the last due to the performance issues i'm getting now. It takes nearly an hour to load in and the fps is so low even on pause that its getting difficult to do anything in the city.

My computer isn't the greatest so we'll see what an upgrade does but I won't be able to work on the town anymore. I'll see what happens when i'm working over the other side of the map.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
This game eats RAM, especially if you have any appreciable number of assets. My work computer (hey, sometimes I have downtime) starts to really chug at 40K people, and that's with minimal mods. My home computer has a bunch more and can handle 300K people and about 2500 assets, but it does start to crawl as either number pushes up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Albino Squirrel posted:

This game eats RAM, especially if you have any appreciable number of assets. My work computer (hey, sometimes I have downtime) starts to really chug at 40K people, and that's with minimal mods. My home computer has a bunch more and can handle 300K people and about 2500 assets, but it does start to crawl as either number pushes up.

Ram isn't the issue. I have 9000 assets.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I've been trying to get back into the game for several months. I keep starting cities and just not feeling it. I have a couple of issues, I think:

1. I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit the different industries into my cities. I understand the basics for them, but I can't seem to grow them in a way that makes sense. Is there a guide or any helpful hints somewhere?

2. I can't find a new map I like. I want to try something like some islands, or a desert area, or an area with a lot of mountains, instead of just a lot of open buildable area. I like to make a lot of little towns as well as a central city area, and I'd like to follow the terrain that's available.

I've tried a lot of maps but haven't found one I really like yet. I also am trying to avoid downloading a bunch of extra assets, so I don't want a map with all custom trees and props. Does anyone have a suggestion or two?

Thanks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Trying to build on uneven terrain without it coming out looking like total rear end is beyond my patience for hours of painstakingly finicky work, and building strictly flat cities gets old after a while. That’s basically the cycle for me with Skylines, spend a few hours trying to build on/around hills -> say gently caress it and start a new city on a huge flat plain -> get bored by around 50,000, ok, this time I’m gonna make a cool city on terrain that’s half realistic! -> get frustrated and quit, play SC3000/SC4 for a few months -> repeat.

This has been the last 5 years of my life.

Ultimately I think if you don’t actually enjoy hours and hours of careful methodical finetuning to make everything just so, you’re too casual for Skylines (or even SC4) and SC3000 is the best citybuilder for you.

But then I see the mind blowing screenshots in this thread or on reddit, and I know better but I just can’t... resist...

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 27, 2020

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

colossal order needs to spill the beans about their next project(s) already

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

a dlc that adds a pony express transit option

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

I'm waiting for this since before Sunset Harbor

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ultimately I think if you don’t actually enjoy hours and hours of careful methodical finetuning to make everything just so, you’re too casual for Skylines (or even SC4) and SC3000 is the best citybuilder for you.

But then I see the mind blowing screenshots in this thread or on reddit, and I know better but I just can’t... resist...
I spend hours finetuning traffic and trying to come up with functional city layout until I am reasonably happy. And then I see some other people's creations and I feel like I was building sloppy sand castles from dung the whole time.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ROFLburger posted:

cities in motion 3 :whitewater:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

spend a few hours trying to build on/around hills -> say gently caress it and start a new city on a huge flat plain -> get bored by around 50,000, ok, this time I’m gonna make a cool city on terrain that’s half realistic! -> get frustrated and quit

Dwesa posted:

I spend hours finetuning traffic and trying to come up with functional city layout until I am reasonably happy. And then I see some other people's creations and I feel like I was building sloppy sand castles from dung the whole time.
hi, are both of you me?

I also gently caress around with millions of mods and assets which cause my game to become bloated and slow so I uninstall a few and then come back months later and my mods are out of date and broken so I say "lets uninstall all of em and go stock" and then I need to spend an hour pruning mods and then I inevitably say "man ok maybe just a few mods" and then I spend dozens of hours on the workshop and troubleshooting and getting them all to work and then I'm back to a million mods and the cycle begins anew.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 28, 2020

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
One thing I miss, from SC2K of all things, is the ability to open up a map generator, fiddle with a few mountain/water/etc sliders, and hit GENERATE until an interesting landscape fell out. I don't have the patience (or the hardware) to wrangle a billion mods and hand-place custom assets, but I could easily kill 30 minutes at a time with a 'roll the dice and surprise me' mode.

Other things for a successor checklist: mixed-use zoning; getting rid of utilities because ugghhh busywork; a more organic, non-highway-junction start...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mixed use zoning kind of already exists if you want to use the generator cubes. You can put a housing cube and a commercial cube in the same building etc.

But then its not really 'zoning' as we know it.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I would kill for roads with more realistic lanes tbh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm on ps4 so I don't get fancy things like mods.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I would enjoy a region simulator. Even if it meant smaller workspaces at a time (like the default 9 square), having your other areas be visible and connected to your primary city (or multiple cities) with the ability to make actual farm country and forests without having to use dozens of extra assets and mods to sort of make it look right would be a dream.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Are there any mods that add some sort of like... Racetrack or NASCAR or Formula 1 things? I feel like you could probably use the football stadium mechanics as a base and I'm curious about adding something like that to a city but I haven't had luck with finding such a mod.

EDIT: also if we're doing wishlist things, Formula 1 track making using the existing road and zoning/district mechanics. It seems like a relatively easy thing to include all things considering, and would add a lot of fun to pruning your own race tracks that most people can probably enjoy like the existing park mechanics.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Deltasquid posted:

Are there any mods that add some sort of like... Racetrack or NASCAR or Formula 1 things? I feel like you could probably use the football stadium mechanics as a base and I'm curious about adding something like that to a city but I haven't had luck with finding such a mod.

EDIT: also if we're doing wishlist things, Formula 1 track making using the existing road and zoning/district mechanics. It seems like a relatively easy thing to include all things considering, and would add a lot of fun to pruning your own race tracks that most people can probably enjoy like the existing park mechanics.

Yes theres a complete pack for F1 track. It runs like a bus depot so the cars actually go out onto track.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1500446351

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like you could take the Cities Skyline engine as the starting point and make a really drat awesome Rollercoaster Tycoon game out of it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
You probably could but it just uses Unity Engine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but that's like saying the GTA3/Vice City/SA engine was just renderware. The Skylines engine is it's own engine build atop the Unity engine. The point was that there's a whole bundle of systems: the landscaping and the dynamic and flexible road building and network construction and placement, and the time-progressing agent population simulation with all the various forces on individual agents, that would be extremely cross-applicable and prime to be adapted out.

I mean we all occasionally just build a rollercoaster interchange just for the hell of it anyway.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well that's fair. They've certainly built up a lot of systems that could translate well.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

C:S is on sale at IndieGala (85%) and DLCs are also on sale (from 60% to 25%), including newest ones.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

If I was going to buy one DLC for this game, what would you recommend? I have just the base game and have about 8 hours into it. Loving it, but still learning early/intermediate game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'd vote Mass Transit and Industries, but most of them are pretty fun

Possibly wait for Steam Holiday sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

If I was going to buy one DLC for this game, what would you recommend? I have just the base game and have about 8 hours into it. Loving it, but still learning early/intermediate game.

Otacon posted:

I'd vote Mass Transit and Industries, but most of them are pretty fun

Possibly wait for Steam Holiday sale?

and then Green cities for being able to fill in empty space with parks, alternative garbage processing etc. Also seconding that you wait for the upcoming Holiday sale.