Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just saw the most mind-blowing hack on reddit:

quote:

"Super glue a stack of smaller bases under your large bases to allow you to attach them to a painting handle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_balloon_dog
Mar 9, 2006

fashionly snort posted:

This is superb and I hope you post more of your minis! (also, your style + conversions would go real well w/ Horus Heresy stuff ...)

BULBASAUR posted:

these are excellent! especially considering you've been on a 10 year break

I think this guy is my favorite.
https://ibb.co/SfyLKr9

From the conversions to the checkers you did on the power claw, just a ton of little details all over. I'm a sucker for conversions and the love on these models really shows.

Cheers guys.... the converting and making individuals is my favourite part, coming back is expensive I have no bitz boz at all.... Used to work at GW HQ back after Uni in 2001, had pile and pile of stuff, all sold as sat in shed for 3-4 years... hey ho...

I'll post here as I go, not much else to share yet.....

Winklebottom posted:

Tried out a Nebalebadingdong-esque base for the Gloomhaven Scoundrel.

Lots of room for improvement but decently happy for a first try (although just now I realize that I hosed up the shading on the cracks :v:)

That looks really good, deffo need to up my basing game... its always just been cork, and some sand (and skulls) painted same muddy brown colour if they get done at all...

So seems that if I'm doing this an airbrush would be a plenty useful tool, anyone got any good recomendations for a started airbrush, in the UK if that matters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

I just saw the most mind-blowing hack on reddit:

This isn't as cool as supergluing a nut to the bottom of your rhino, unscrewing the spring loaded part of the handle and screwing it into the bolt underneath

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm completely new to this stuff so I decided to try the basic bitch Reaper miniature kit since I was interested in making some Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff someday. Probably sloppy af for a first ever paint but I pretty much just improvised this thing and will likely be watching a shitload of videos from mini artists before I try the orc that came in this kit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hixson posted:

finished up some jet bikers. vroom vroom

Always love seeing your Night Lords. Also drat, how many points worth of them do you have now?

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Finished chonky #2 last night.

Really liking the green and purple.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

the_balloon_dog posted:

That looks really good, deffo need to up my basing game... its always just been cork, and some sand (and skulls) painted same muddy brown colour if they get done at all...

Thanks, but I'm jealous of your bases :v: They work extremely well with your models, love the grimy-ness.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Spiv posted:

Finished chonky #2 last night.

Really liking the green and purple.

This angry bot boy has such a soothing color palette.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Who makes the best fluorescent purple?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I love airbrushing!!!!!!! It's so much easier to do all this, I am gradually getting crippled as I age and I just had to take weeks off from painting stuff due to some serious nerve pain issues, getting back in there has been so nice and I don't know how I lived without this drat thing

I want to add a few more shades to the wings and a little more detail work here and there but man this is coming along so cool

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah airbrushing is great especially when you're working on stuff with delicate features like feathers.

Also do Sanguinary Guard really have a giant jet engine strapped to their back lol

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DLC Inc posted:

I'm completely new to this stuff so I decided to try the basic bitch Reaper miniature kit since I was interested in making some Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff someday. Probably sloppy af for a first ever paint but I pretty much just improvised this thing and will likely be watching a shitload of videos from mini artists before I try the orc that came in this kit.

Not bad for a first mini actually! Is that some freehand you gave a go there on the cloth?

I dont really have any advice apart from practice (and sure, watch some getting started videos on youtube, but mainly practice), except; Do you have any washes? Because a black wash over that armour will definitely help. You can highlight it back up a bit afterwards, but theres a reason people sometimes (jokingly) refer to dark washes as liquid skill.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eej posted:

Yeah airbrushing is great especially when you're working on stuff with delicate features like feathers.

Also do Sanguinary Guard really have a giant jet engine strapped to their back lol

haha, yeah. It's a bit silly, but I guess if those wings are functional they probably can't flap as fast as a jet!!!!

it's kind of an orky way of thinking for a bunch of space marine vampires

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

goodness posted:

Who makes the best fluorescent purple?

If you’re looking for actual fluorescent paint and not just a very bright color, There is a very bright fluorescent magenta in the Vallejo Mecha Color line.

Real fluorescent paints tend to have poor coverage so you need to use a lot of coats.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I can vouch for both the Scale 75 FX Fluor and Golden Fluorescent Acrylic paints being good, but I don't have either of their purples so I can't help there. Like Bucnasti said though they have absolutely horrid coverage, so you need to put them over a bright color or white, and use multiple coats. I have had the most luck using them through my airbrush, they are so thin that they work fantastically as a glaze to really make a color pop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Not bad for a first mini actually! Is that some freehand you gave a go there on the cloth?

I dont really have any advice apart from practice (and sure, watch some getting started videos on youtube, but mainly practice), except; Do you have any washes? Because a black wash over that armour will definitely help. You can highlight it back up a bit afterwards, but theres a reason people sometimes (jokingly) refer to dark washes as liquid skill.

Thanks! Yeah, I did a little freehand for the cross symbol on the cloth there---wasn't the neatest thing but it looks alright.

I can technically make a black wash; I tried a little silver but blended stuff together in a way that wasn't too neat. I read the manual that came with the kit about washes/coats but will have to practice that more on the orc mini next.

For videos I've taken to watching some of Sorastro's stuff (which is batshit incredible) though I've also been looking at the KillerMinis guy's channel for something more feasible to learn from. I watched some Dana Howl material too but her technique seems way out of my orbit.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is there a secret to airbrushing inks I don't know? I tried using white ink to do some zenithal undercoats, and it just ends up a runny mess. I tried high pressure, low pressure, thinning it, not thinning it. What am I missing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spray further away

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Furism posted:

This looks very cool. I like how dark and dirty they look. The lightning effect looks great too. drat.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Always love seeing your Night Lords. Also drat, how many points worth of them do you have now?

thanks friends. Honestly I've never added them all up, its gotta be a ton!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Eej posted:

Spray further away

You may need some flow improver as well, depending on the surface.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What methods do people use for keeping dust out of your paint? I've been wiping everything down regularly but I keep finding little fuzzes permanently layered in my models.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

What methods do people use for keeping dust out of your paint? I've been wiping everything down regularly but I keep finding little fuzzes permanently layered in my models.

Vacuum your house

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Booley posted:

Vacuum your house

Replace your air filter in your HVAC (assuming you have this option, probably not if you are renting in an apartment), could upgrade to a higher filtration level one. Wipe down your hard surfaces to get the dust that settles there (windowsills, trims, bookshelves). Oh and mop your hard surface floors after you vacuum. I also sometimes spray my miniswith a computer compressed air can.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

w00tmonger posted:

again, I haven't done it myself. but to my knowledge they have batches of colorshift paints that you can use to create gradients in the shift. They do something like that in the middle of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8PjN3D6ds

it's the same type of pigment they use in cars

my wife has a ton of this kind of paint in nailpolish lacquer form that i'd like to try putting on some models with the right prep sometime

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Booley posted:

Vacuum your house

I'm unemployed. All I do is clean these days.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Replace your air filter in your HVAC (assuming you have this option, probably not if you are renting in an apartment), could upgrade to a higher filtration level one. Wipe down your hard surfaces to get the dust that settles there (windowsills, trims, bookshelves). Oh and mop your hard surface floors after you vacuum. I also sometimes spray my miniswith a computer compressed air can.

Replaced the filter when the seasons changed and I do the high filtration ones cause we have a sheddy dog. I'll give this room a good mop though, thanks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cat Face Joe posted:

we have a sheddy dog.

Ah think Ah see yer problem.
I gotta keep a pair of tweezers next to my paint palette so I can easily pick the dog hairs off my minis. No matter what I do they still get on everything.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
When people talk about airbrushing their minis, I still can't see how (apart from base coating / large areas of gradient like vehicles) you could do it without having to constantly mask off entire areas of the mini and then change the masked areas when you want to move on from the legs onto some pouches or something.

Or am I a dolt and completely missing how people airbrush?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You generally don't airbrush details like pouches.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Here's an anecdote. I stupidly bought Angel Giraldez's painting book sight unseen when it came out cause I thought Infinity studio minis were really impressively painted and for some reason thought it would contain something that wasn't easily available for free from a million other painters online. 90% of the steps in that useless rear end book is "ok cover everything but this part with liquid mask and airbrush a gradient onto it."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DrDraxium posted:

When people talk about airbrushing their minis, I still can't see how (apart from base coating / large areas of gradient like vehicles) you could do it without having to constantly mask off entire areas of the mini and then change the masked areas when you want to move on from the legs onto some pouches or something.

i am not really an expert here, literally just started, and ftr: I have insanely great hand-eye coordination despite my gradual nerve degeneration but fwiw:

I can nail some pretty small details for the most part, but mainly I just sequence how I airbrush things so I can get small details without messing up the big ones. The surface area of the actual "brush" isn't that wide, so like... the armor panel on the belt of a space marine? That's not that hard to hit, really. Elbow joints are a little bad but they're easy to hit when you're shading, and easy to avoid when you touch up. Imagine if a rattlecan had the target area of a sharpie adjustable up to a little bit wider than a fat marker and you'll have some idea of what this is like.

Here was my process for a blood angels Bladeguard Veteran: zenithal, then spray some thin base-coats of red over the armor. Hit the helmet, sword, shoulders, pouches, aquila, elbow joints, beltbuckle, loincloth, areas under the legs, areas under the arms, area between the backpack and the back, etc, with enough of whatever shade of black, either to shade or base coat the area depending on what it is. You'll end up with some misting around the pouches, misting around joints or whatever, that's fine. Misting around the joints will just look like shading. Shading under the legs/arms/etc is so intuitive if you have done any zenithal highlighting with a spraycan, it is apparent how to do it immediately. Hit the helmet with gold, as long as you're careful it'll only really get on the shoulders and collar and will look good on accident. Spray preferred shade of white on loincloth. Wait a little bit to dry, then mask the loincloth (silly putty is fine) and touch up the armor everywhere you got too much black or white overspray on with a couple more coats of red. Don't worry about getting a little red on the black stuff, when you go over with a brush it will be trivial to fix.

I got like 90% of the work done on three bladeguard veterans in about an hour. What I am liking about the airbrush is that I am getting most of the tedious stuff done in minutes and spending a lot more time doing the things that make people say "oh that's dope". I am no longer fatigued from basecoating and the finished product has a smooth finish that I can maybe, maybe get with a paintbrush, but it takes a hobby-killing amount of work. (i painted 20 assault intercessors with a 5 coat ink glaze by hand, never again) And gradient effects are just like, [dump color in, *bloop*, clean airbrush, dump color in, *bloop* clean airbrush], not [wiggle two brushes together like you're the inigo montoya of miniature painters and hope the finish doesn't look like your character has a skin condition]

All the important stuff is still gonna be done with a paintbrush but important stuff becomes "trim, faces, weapons, the stuff you really want to look a certain way, freehanding, fixing mistakes, edge highlighting" and not "the shoulders". An Airbrush is like the ultimate rattlecan.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 28, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

WIP.

My Slann's method of locomotion isnt quite as dignified as that of his peers.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Without getting into serious effort post territory:

Sub assemblies are your friend.

For those guys the heads are all airbrushed separately, and the bodies are hit with a gradient.

Here the body gets hit with a general blue Grey, then free hand the highlights with the airbrush running in lines. The canopy is also airbrushed. Then add some weathering, again mainly with the airbrush.

People who only use the airbrush as a spray can replacement are seriously underselling themselves as an artist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DrDraxium posted:

Most people aren't airbrushing the entire mini. But if you really want to do that, "constantly masking off entire areas" is actually really easy: just get a thing of silly putty and wrap your mini in that. If you're using painters tape that is slow and a pain. Silly Putty is fast and easy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bought this little 25mm Santa Claus mini from reaper and painted him up to put in a bauble and give to my mum. Oh god I've forgotten how much I hate painting metal models - this is the first one I've done in maybe 20 years and the paint will flake off at the drop of a hat. Anyway, this is done apart from baking soda + pva to slap on the base, and a million layers of varnish to maybe stop the paint flaking.

Even though metal is the devil's music material, I'm mostly pretty pleased with how it looks so I bought 4 more to paint up as gifts this xmas :)

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Yeast posted:

People who only use the airbrush as a spray can replacement are seriously underselling themselves as an artist.

I just started with mine last week; and though it was originally bought with the intention of being a can replacement; as I've used it for a hour or so a day since I got it, I really feel the itch to learn more techniques, so I'm ultimately doing almost everything, but the finer things, with it.

On that note: has anyone tried airbrushing Citadal Contrast paints? If so, how was it in terms of consistency and what was the effect like? I know it's going to apply differently being spray, than brushed on; but I'm preparing to do my Knight Warden, similar to my small bot boys with the old, weathered metal effect and if I don't have to hand brush this giant rear end thing with the contrast, but spray it instead with the same effect - I will be much happy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

people really like airbrushing contrasts over a basic grey metallic paint to get whatever metallic colour they like, that seems to be the primary use case from what I’ve seen

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spiv posted:

I just started with mine last week; and though it was originally bought with the intention of being a can replacement; as I've used it for a hour or so a day since I got it, I really feel the itch to learn more techniques, so I'm ultimately doing almost everything, but the finer things, with it.

haha, :same:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Righteo, thank for taking the time to write out your whole process. I can visualise this much clearer now. The pinpoint precision mixed with the fact that your overspray either ends up looking like cool shading or can be easily fixed with a brush later.

EDIT: and thank to everyone else who posted thoughts and advice, definitely gives me some hope for when I dive back into airbrushing this weekend.

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 28, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

people really like airbrushing contrasts over a basic grey metallic paint to get whatever metallic colour they like, that seems to be the primary use case from what I’ve seen

Is this effective for large flat surfaces, or does it still pool? I've hair-brushed on contrasts over metallic primer and the results usually look awesome, but I haven't tried airbrushing contrasts yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How much can silly putty be reused anyway? Or do people just buy lots of silly putty as a disposable resource like liquid mask?