Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I've long thought that Seth is the only person in late night that was actually saying anything with barbs instead of trying to comedy around poo poo, but Amber Ruffin might feel like the best new host I've seen in a long rear end time. I bit on more than a few jokes and the fact that she's rolling with this minus an audience is kinda impressive.

I ADORE that she's going for basically "Conan back in the day but just the fun bits" instead of just doing the inevitable interviews that will come in. Putting comedy first makes me happy, though that's a LOT of heavy lifting. Still, the angle is something important and I am very sad this isn't actually on network TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Speaking of Seth, he's starting to look like the 'my hair is a bird' Nick Cage

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Speaking of Seth, he's starting to look like the 'my hair is a bird' Nick Cage

He has embraced quarantinehead, as have I. My hair's never been this long, and I hate everything about it but what I can do when I goof around in front of the mirror after I get out of the shower for probably like five minutes longer than I should.

I'm getting super old now and it's all just falling out everywhere or greying and getting like one tiny strand tickling my eye that I can't see and I just have so much more respect for a woman's stoicism in the face of all this bullshit. I dunno, guys, I think I kinda "get" how hard childbirth must be for them now. It's a struggle, I think I see that for the first time. Well, we're all in this together now, sisters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SamBishop posted:

I've long thought that Seth is the only person in late night that was actually saying anything with barbs instead of trying to comedy around poo poo, but Amber Ruffin might feel like the best new host I've seen in a long rear end time. I bit on more than a few jokes and the fact that she's rolling with this minus an audience is kinda impressive.

I ADORE that she's going for basically "Conan back in the day but just the fun bits" instead of just doing the inevitable interviews that will come in. Putting comedy first makes me happy, though that's a LOT of heavy lifting. Still, the angle is something important and I am very sad this isn't actually on network TV.

Give it a little time, this is definitely a trial run for her to take Late Night when Seth moves on to take over for Lorne.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Conan's dark this week, and Kimmel's off Monday because he's on for Game Night on Friday. Over on Fallon, it's BTS week, for all you tween Goons out there. Colin Quinn was bumped from last Wednesday's Seth Meyers, his interview will be on tonight, and Phoebe Bridgers will perform on Tuesday's Seth!

Schedule for the week starting 2020.09.28
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Mariah Carey, Rex Orange County
Tuesday - Live following the first presidential debate; Senator Cory Booker, Public Enemy
Wednesday - John Lithgow, Jonathan Alter
Thursday - Ethan Hawke, Prosecutor Andrew Weissmann

Corden
Monday - Jeff Daniels, Summer Walker
Tuesday - Andrew Rannells, Brittany Howard
Wednesday - Tyra Banks, Surfaces
Thursday - Gloria Steinem, Sally Hawkins, Craig Roberts

Kimmel
Tuesday - Senator Bernie Sanders, Kal Penn, HAIM
Wednesday - Before the Game in Primetime: Adam Sandler, NBA All-Star Mean Tweets; After the Game in Late Night: Julie Bowen, My Morning Jacket
Thursday - Travis Scott, Lauren Cohan
Friday - Before the Game in Primetime: Matthew McConaughey; After the Game in Late Night: Shaquille O'Neal, Lamorne Morris, A$AP Ferg feat. Tyga

Fallon
Monday - Jim Parsons, Shepard Smith, BTS
Tuesday - John Cena, BTS
Wednesday - BTS, Chris Colfer
Thursday - Michael Che and Colin Jost, Kaitlyn Dever, BTS
Friday - Adam Sandler, Guy Raz, BTS

Seth
Monday - Colin Quinn, Kim Cattrall, Jeff Rosenstock
Tuesday - Sarah Silverman, Lili Reinhart, Phoebe Bridgers
Wednesday - Taylor Schilling, Brian Stelter
Thursday - Cecily Strong, David Wright, Miranda July

Conan
Reruns (Monday night is last year's Scrapisode!)

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2020

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is Colin Quinn still right-wing or did he avoid going full chud?

pwn
May 27, 2004

whydirt posted:

I don't know, but I was glad he got bumped last week. That was the night that the Kentucky AG said killing black women in their sleep was totally sweet and legal, so some of the shows scrambled to change their interviews. I haven't heard from him much lately.

Edit: Southern states are all the same anyway.

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whydirt posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/theater/review-colin-quinn-red-state-blue-state.html

that lays him out, he's not a Trump fan so I don't think of him as a chud tbh, just a boomer

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Conan's non-guest segments on his latest podcast were so good this week. Conan, Sona and Gorley work so goddamn well together.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Colbert will be live on Wednesday, following the VP debate. And on Wednesday, Seth has David Remnick, so maybe hopefully we get another installment of Live Action New Yorker Cartoons with the Late Night Players? Kimmel is off again on Monday and has a Friday show this week, with Game Night primetime specials on Tuesday and maybe Thursday or Friday? Depends on how the finals proceed. I’m not a sports fan so I’ll update when more info is available. Conan is off again, which is understandable. He did three weeks in a row, I wouldn’t expect him to take off any less than a month after such a grueling workload.

Schedule for the week starting 2020.10.05

Colbert
Monday - Jon Bon Jovi, Bon Jovi (the listing seriously says this)
Tuesday - Jerry Seinfeld, Ella Mai
Wednesday - Mayo Pete, Future Islands
Thursday - Mindy Kaling, CIA Director John Brennan

Corden
Monday - Seth MacFarlane, The Jaded Hearts Club
Tuesday - Whoopi Goldberg, Bishop Briggs
Wednesday - Gloria Steinem, Sally Hawkins, Craig Roberts, Conan Gray
Thursday - Armie Hammer, Surfaces

Kimmel
Tuesday - Before the Game: Bill Murray; after the game: Armie Hammer, Marlon Wayans, Jaden Smith
Wednesday - Billy Crystal, US Senate hopeful Jamie Harrison, Natanael Cano
Thursday - Rerun
Friday - Before the Game: Jamie Foxx; after the game: Liam Neeson, Killer Mike, Norah Jones

Fallon
Monday - Daniel Craig, Billie Eilish and Finneas
Tuesday - Lin-Manuel and Luis Miranda, Ruby Rose, Highwomen
Wednesday - Maya Rudolph, Matt Bomer, 070 Shake
Thursday - Eddie Redmayne, Guy Raz, Lele Pons X Guayanaa
Friday - Kevin James, Lenny Kravitz, Nate Bargatze

Seth
Monday - Jessica Chastain, John Slattery
Tuesday - Timothy Olyphant, Bob Woodward
Wednesday - America Ferrera, Ina Garten, David Remnick
Thursday - Jim Parsons, Amber Ruffin, Yaa Gyasi

Conan
Reruns

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 10, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Colbert had a lot of fun talking about burning anus last night.

Starts around 3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKfx6y7DIQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

Colbert had a lot of fun talking about burning anus last night.

Starts around 3:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKfx6y7DIQ

That was glorious. I haven't watched in months, is it just like a skeleton crew who was laughing?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That was glorious. I haven't watched in months, is it just like a skeleton crew who was laughing?

wife and son, CBS parked a satellite truck on his lawn

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wife and son, CBS parked a satellite truck on his lawn

Nah, he's been back at the Sullivan theater building for a month or two. Just not actually in the theater itself. But his wife is usually there anyway, plus the skeleton crew I'm assuming.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Nah, he's been back at the Sullivan theater building for a month or two. Just not actually in the theater itself. But his wife is usually there anyway, plus the skeleton crew I'm assuming.

oh yeahhhhhhhhhh, he just made a replica in his house. I forgot about that

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUp6DtpJV7M

Timothy Olyphant is delightful.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never been much of a Willie Nelson fan (also he is/was a 9/11 truther too I think) but I have to admit that he and Conan had great chemistry on the podcast and I liked the interview.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pretty dark this week. Only Kimmel has new shows. He also had an unscheduled hour-long Game Night last night before what ended up being the final game this year, you can catch that on Hulu.

Schedule for the week starting 2020.10.11

Kimmel
Sunday - Game Night: Will Arnett
Monday - Rashida Jones, Elizabeth Warren, Rufus Wainwright
Tuesday - Patrick Dempsey, Clare Crawley, One Republic
Wednesday - John Cusack, Leslie Jones, Woodkid
Thursday - Josh Gad, John Kasich, Foo Fighters (celebrating 25 years of bravely fighting foo)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvYTUSez_0
This clip always makes me smile. I know his whole thing is laughing too much but Bradley Cooper not being able to keep it in either in those ridiculous hats is a joy to watch.

"He died at the age of 27."
/laughs

"Ya know its not funny this guy was horribly deformed"
/laughs

"This is based on John Merrick, who is an actual real man"
"Whose name was Joseph Merrick. Anyway, yeah that is true....I know its hilarious that they changed his name."
/laughs

"Yeah so its a play"
/laughs

"Lets take the hats off for this...this is a tricky play to play"
:confused: "A tricky play to play what the hell was that?"
"Uhh tell me about this"
/laughs

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

omg yesssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZURPstqrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdaWR7pmHOU
20:30 gives a great shot of the ed sullivan when dave first got to cbs

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 16, 2020

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

That's the stuff

pwn
May 27, 2004

Get ready for what I imagine will be 5 straight weeks of this poo poo, because everything comes back tonight. Two weeks of pre-election coverage and then a month or more of post-election nightmare. Are you ready? I hope you’re ready, because come December and January it gets worse.

Everything just gets worse

Fallon and Seth are back again. Over on CBS, Colbert will be back tonight, but Corden doesn’t return until Wednesday? And they’re both doing Friday shows this week. Conan is still in repeats.

Schedule for the week starting 2020.10.19

Colbert
Monday - Joy Reid, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
Tuesday - Dolly Parton, Ty Dolla $ign
Wednesday - BRUUUUUUUUCE
Thursday - LIVE after the debate; Andrew Cuomo, Matt Berninger
Friday - A special of some type

Corden
Wednesday - Bill Gates, The Head and the Heart
Thursday - Josh Gad, The Score feat. AWOLNATION
Friday - Jeremy Strong, SuperM

Kimmel
Monday - Borat :nice:, Emma Roberts, Ozuna feat. Doja Cat
Tuesday - Michael Keaton, Blackpink
Wednesday - Tracee Ellis Ross, Eric Andre, Tate McRae
Thursday - Octavia Spencer, Lauv feat. Conan Gray

Fallon
Monday - Gwen Stefani, Swizz Beats and Timbaland, Bebe Rexha feat. Doja Cat
Tuesday - Port Night: Natalie Portman, Billy Porter, Lous and the Yazuka
Wednesday - Anthony Mackie, Lily James, Black Thought feat. Portugal. The Man and The Last Artful, Dodgr :eyepop:
Thursday - Nicole Kidman, Patton Oswalt, Of Monsters and Men
Friday - Chelsea Handler, Bernie Sanders, The War on Drugs

Seth
Monday - Amy “The Klobb” “Klobberin’ Time” “I launched my campaign in a snowstorm” Klobuchar, Ego Nwodim
Tuesday - 1993 Night: Adam Sandler, Jason Alexander
Wednesday - Cory Booker, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
Thursday - Michael Keaton, HAIM

Conan
Reruns!
But hey: Monday is the DiY Conan special, and Thursday is the Christmas episode they did last month. Worth checking out if you missed them the first time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Christmas episode... in October?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Christmas episode... in October?

September, but yes :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Conan knows something we don't

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Why is Conan doing Christmas stuff right now?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As a gag, pretty much.

pwn
May 27, 2004

If people would watch the episode, it would all be plain

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1320062844197654533

pwn
May 27, 2004

:trumppop:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Everything is back this week! Even Conan!

Schedule for the week starting 2020.10.26

Colbert
Monday - Sasha Baron Cohen, Jeff Tweedy
Tuesday - Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Sarah Cooper
Wednesday - Jaime Harrison, Elvis Costello
Thursday - Julie Andrews, Amy Walter, Sam Smith
Friday - Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart

Corden
Monday - Aaron Sorkin, The Shins
Tuesday - Billy Porter, David Byrne, Kane Brown
Wednesday - Chelsea Handler, CL

Kimmel
Monday - Bill Maher :barf:, Louis Partridge, 24ktGoldn feat. Iann Dion
Tuesday - Anne Hathaway, David Muir, H.E.R.
Wednesday - :siren: DAVID loving LETTERMAN :siren:, Gillian Jacobs, Gracie Abrams
Thursday - Chris Evans, Perfume Genius

Fallon
Monday - Sterling K. Brown, Zoie Lister-Jones, Matthew “Super” Delisi, Rina Sawayama
Tuesday - Shawn Mendes, Tig Notaro
Wednesday - Ken Jeong, Pete Buttigieg, Sam Hunt
Thursday - TBA
Friday - TBA

Seth
Monday - Gwen Stefani, Giancarlo Esposito
Tuesday - Natalie Portman, Cindy McCain
Wednesday - Bette Midler, Bryan Washington
Thursday - Rosie O’Donnell, Shepard Smith, Sleaford Mods

Conan
Monday - Heidi Gardner
Tuesday - Bert Kreischer
Wednesday - Natasha Lyonnr
Thursday - Simon Pegg

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXrQ7GSI1cU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat Colbert, Kimmel and evening Seth are killing it on guests this week. Makes Fallon look really bad, which evidently there might be big problems there. Rumors are that NBC is increasingly unhappy with the numbers from the show and since the pandemic his streaming numbers which used to be something that helped keep heat off of him before has greatly fell while everyone else has risen. His contract is up in a year and NBC is starting to put feelers out for potential replacements. Also NBC is looking to handle the show without Lorne which is also very interesting.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

drat Colbert, Kimmel and evening Seth are killing it on guests this week. Makes Fallon look really bad, which evidently there might be big problems there. Rumors are that NBC is increasingly unhappy with the numbers from the show and since the pandemic his streaming numbers which used to be something that helped keep heat off of him before has greatly fell while everyone else has risen. His contract is up in a year and NBC is starting to put feelers out for potential replacements. Also NBC is looking to handle the show without Lorne which is also very interesting.

Do you have any newslinks for this info? I’d like to read more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

Do you have any newslinks for this info? I’d like to read more.

Yeah, I'd be interested in a source on this, as well, since Lorne is basically the God King of NBC late-night television, and Hollywood Video produces SNL, The Tonight Show and Late Night. Fallon's ratings have been rocky for a few years but Lorne has NBC by the balls and the last I read, that hasn't changed at all.

Edit: I know Fallon's contract is up in November 2021. Kimmel is, weirdly enough, trouncing both Colbert and Fallon in viewership.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Timby posted:

Yeah, I'd be interested in a source on this, as well, since Lorne is basically the God King of NBC late-night television, and Hollywood Video produces SNL, The Tonight Show and Late Night. Fallon's ratings have been rocky for a few years but Lorne has NBC by the balls and the last I read, that hasn't changed at all.

Edit: I know Fallon's contract is up in November 2021. Kimmel is, weirdly enough, trouncing both Colbert and Fallon in viewership.

I don’t think it has been talked about in any media yet. There are plenty of people in comedy that are talking about it though. I know of two people that have had NBC feelers in recent weeks.

It is the worst kept secret that Lorne has been grooming Seth to take over his position at SNL. It is why they have been starting to groom Amber Ruffin to take over Late Night. The word is Lorne is looking to retire next year, which normally I wouldn’t put a ton of faith in since you hear that every 5 or so years but there are a lot of things lining up with that which make it seem more likely than in the past.

It is also no secret that NBC is not happy with Lorne having control over their late night programming. His production company reaps the lions share of profit from all three programs. The Tonight Show was a massive cash cow for them in the Carson and Leno days and they get a much smaller cut of the pie with Lorne. They want to get back to a situation where they own the show and have more of a voice in how things are done which has not been the case with Fallon. They have not been happy with many aspects of the show for awhile but are mostly powerless to do much due to it being ran by Lorne.

The current idea at least is getting someone younger and edgier to host. Basically taking the Letterman/Conan strategy. The view is that 10:30 is not what it was even 20 years ago and they want something that is a little dangerous and can draw in a younger audience that will stay and grow over the years. Also they want to do the show in LA again because they feel like Kimmel has that advantage because he is there and they are missing guests.

This all is from what I have heard from a lot of people in both comedy and the management side of entertainment. The idea is they would want to do some basic tests after the new year and test shows with the finalists in the Spring to announce the replacement by May.

Of course this all depends on who they can get interested in taking the gig and who they like best. There is also a chance that everyone sucks and they keep Fallon out of lack of options but as of right now the view is he is likely gone no matter what even if they have to drag the corpse of Carson out again.

That’s all I know right now. Like I said it is purely rumor and speculation right now. There is a lot of smoke. For example NBC would have extended Fallon quite some time ago if he was staying.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Boy, I rather feel bad for the guy :smith:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Is he still "secretly" an alcoholic? I'm not sorry for him at all, you'd think someone who's had that many lucky breaks would understand where his strengths lie. Fallon should have walked away a long time ago.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'll miss The Roots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

just a reminder that Letterman is on Kimmel tonight