Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

They could probably just.. drop the Stadia version. I'm sure Hostile Apostle and the 10 Redditors who have to hide their shame by gaming in the bathroom while their wives are out would understand.

What's up with Stadia anyways, isn't it just runs on a server RDP session glorified bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It's almost like they've been in perpetual crunch since near the start of the year and management hasn't considered the likely complications of both porting and burnout piling up :thunk:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's up with Stadia anyways, isn't it just runs on a server RDP session glorified bullshit?

Yeah but Google didn't bother dedicating any server infrastructure so the games look and run like poo poo compared to the same service from Nvidia.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I tried the Fenyx Rising demo on Stadia and my impression of Stadia is that it was basically playable but not even close to as smooth as playing online games with modern connections.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

municipal shrimp posted:

Vermintide 2 is free all week. It had a rough first year or so but they've balanced all the weapons and massively increased xp gain so the game is now a lot of fun and one of the best co op horde games.

Cheers for the heads up, I've been enjoying Left 4 Dead 2 recently and I've always had half an eye on Vermintide, love dem Skaven

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
https://twitter.com/ACS_GSQ/status/1321294438392619008

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Just finished Astrologaster and I'm surprised I didn't hear people talking about the music. The character madrigals are great, though I suppose it is very niche.

My favorite, about a hypochondriac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twMee6kx_k

On the protagonist and the game's main quest of gaining a medical license:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUT6mw_9Dcw

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Dying Light is pretty good, yeah? Might see if I get the boys to give it a go, we’ve been playing more deep rock galactic lately and could use another Spooky coop game. Any of the dlc packs worth getting, maybe the left 4 dead one?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Dying Light is pretty good, yeah? Might see if I get the boys to give it a go, we’ve been playing more deep rock galactic lately and could use another Spooky coop game. Any of the dlc packs worth getting, maybe the left 4 dead one?
The Bozak Horde adds bows and a challenge mode of sorts, The Following adds another map and story, the rest is perfectly ignorable unless you're a fan of the franchise in question - they just add a few thematic weapons, but there's nothing unique about them. Never played Hellraid but apparently it's short and bad.

And yeah, it's a pretty good game, if you ignore the writing and just focus on the parkour and zombie slaughter. Lots of fun in co-op.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're bored waiting for Cyberpunk may I reccomend G-STRING for the low, low price of :20bux:? Source engine FPS made over the course of 12 years by a single Japanese woman. The opening crawl alone should sell some people:

But I have to warn you, it's basically Kaizo Half Life 2, with some fuckin' brutal first person platforming segments. I definitely had to console noclip my way through some of the tougher segments. But it's weird as all-gently caress, and quite an impressive feat for a single person to have done everything. Some pretty sick Blade Runner esque aesthetics running through it.

The writing and worldbuilding is really well done, and incredibly on the nose, which I won't spoil for you.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

The Following is pretty neat. The countryside is full of spookums and getting a vehicle is a nice addition. Bozak is a bit ho-hum. Hellraid is just a waste of money.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

If you're bored waiting for Cyberpunk may I reccomend G-STRING for the low, low price of :20bux:? Source engine FPS made over the course of 12 years by a single Japanese woman. The opening crawl alone should sell some people:

This looks great! What kind of shooty pew pew is it? Is it closer to Half Life 2, more arcadey Doom style, more simmy?

Also, is it scary? I am bad with scary. * stares at unfinished Prey

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

This looks great! What kind of shooty pew pew is it? Is it closer to Half Life 2, more arcadey Doom style, more simmy?

Closest to Half Life 2, it’s basically the same arsenal but with different models/skins.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rebel Blob posted:

Just finished Astrologaster and I'm surprised I didn't hear people talking about the music. The character madrigals are great, though I suppose it is very niche.

I've gone on about it here and there. It really is fantastic.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Astrologaster is cool and funny but the best part is when it gives you the big brain feelings when you make accurate predictions based on your knowledge of the Spanish Armada or potatoes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Astrologaster owns, and if you bought that ginormous itch.io racial justice bundle a thousand years ago then you already have it so give it a shot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Excited!!! Thank you!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

But I have to warn you, it's basically Kaizo Half Life 2, with some fuckin' brutal first person platforming segments. I definitely had to console noclip my way through some of the tougher segments. But it's weird as all-gently caress, and quite an impressive feat for a single person to have done everything. Some pretty sick Blade Runner esque aesthetics running through it.

The writing and worldbuilding is really well done, and incredibly on the nose, which I won't spoil for you.

Sweet, I was looking for a fun distraction. Otherwise I'd be jumping back onto E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I finished Eliza, The Hex and Tangle Tower yesterday. Three short, completely different games that are all good to great.

Of all three, Tangle Tower (8.8 hrs) was easily the most enjoyable (great art, nice, moody music and delicious mystery at the center). I loved the atmosphere in that game. I've also played Detective Grimoire already but is there anything in a similar vein?

Eliza (8.2 hrs) I found invested in and also everything felt so familiar because of the topics it tried to tackle and my own interest in them, and it fell extremely relevant in 2020. Great voice acting all around.

The Hex is a weird one. I can appreciate how well it's made and as somebody who plays and reads about games a lot, I understood most of what the game was talking about but I guess this genre like The Stanley Parable, Pony Island and similar... meta-games? are not exactly my cup of tea despite being kinda of intrigued by them. So it kinda dragged for me at several points though surprisingly the full playthrough took me only 5 hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

Of all three, Tangle Tower (8.8 hrs) was easily the most enjoyable (great art, nice, moody music and delicious mystery at the center). I loved the atmosphere in that game. I've also played Detective Grimoire already but is there anything in a similar vein?

Jenny LeClue: Detectivu, possibly

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Not sure who they post as but macho ayn randy savage your account has been compromised. I got the obligatory "click the link to help my team" this morning.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Another one for the pile, they're in the goon group, etc.

e: beaten

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Another bites the dust: Guardian Down, please get your account back

https://steamcommunity.com/id/akileese/ (Personally advise posting steam profiles as well, imo)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

At some point Valve has to start censoring those phishing web sites, right? Even if they make new ones, it isn't free to register new domains constantly. Eventually, they would stop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steam has had a link censoring feature forever but in true Valve style they lost interest and stopped updating the list

The last time I saw a link get disappeared it was them blocking a link to a grey-market key selling site lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That feature was such a chore. Every single time I clicked on anything it'd get blocked / ask me to confirm if I'm super duper sure I want to go to imgur or whatever well known safe website. I'm glad they stopped doing that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The link censoring feature was separate to those warnings, you'd send someone a link to something like G2A and they would just get {LINK REMOVED} in its place with no indication of what the link was

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
imgur didn't seem so safe to me after clicking through one of those "random imgur picture" sites

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

That feature was such a chore. Every single time I clicked on anything it'd get blocked / ask me to confirm if I'm super duper sure I want to go to imgur or whatever well known safe website. I'm glad they stopped doing that.
I don't think they actually stopped doing that, I still get that kind of question every time a guide or forums post links to something offsite.

Baller Time posted:

imgur didn't seem so safe to me after clicking through one of those "random imgur picture" sites
Yyyyeah, I am never playing Imgur Roulette again. I still can't get some of the things I saw out of my head.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yea I must be conflating the two. I forgot about the {LINK REMOVED} thing. I don't know what I'm thinking of now. I pretty much don't use the forums or group chats or anything. I talk to the same 2-4 people I've been talking to since the early 2000's and generally trust what they send me. So whatever feature it was that was doing both / either of those things, personally I'm glad their gone :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

Another bites the dust: Guardian Down, please get your account back

https://steamcommunity.com/id/akileese/ (Personally advise posting steam profiles as well, imo)

a fitting username

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cross-Section posted:

Another one for the pile, they're in the goon group, etc.

e: beaten

drat, that's a real good name tho

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So is Ghost Recon Breakpoint still a microtransaction-ridden piece of poo poo, balanced around drones to incentivize spending real money on boosters, or have they improved it at all?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

So is Ghost Recon Breakpoint still a microtransaction-ridden piece of poo poo, balanced around drones to incentivize spending real money on boosters, or have they improved it at all?

The boosters were removed a few hours into the early access period and you can turn gear scores off entirely.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreatGreen posted:

I'm playing it with a friend of mine now and didn't know there were microtransactions. You get bugged a couple times to buy the DLC missions but I'm not sure what they would even be incentivizing boosters for?

It's pretty fun! I'm enjoying it. Not sure if it's $60 good but for $15 on sale it's a good buy, especially if you have friends to play with. Using their friend pass thing only one person has to buy the game and everyone else can play for free if they join the person who bought it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZawAndy/status/1321201463545204737?s=20

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The boosters were removed a few hours into the early access period and you can turn gear scores off entirely.

explosivo posted:

I'm playing it with a friend of mine now and didn't know there were microtransactions. You get bugged a couple times to buy the DLC missions but I'm not sure what they would even be incentivizing boosters for?

It's pretty fun! I'm enjoying it. Not sure if it's $60 good but for $15 on sale it's a good buy, especially if you have friends to play with. Using their friend pass thing only one person has to buy the game and everyone else can play for free if they join the person who bought it.

That is... encouraging. Have you (or anybody else reading this) played Ghost Recon Wildlands and compared it with Breakpoint? Which one do you like more?

I've already read that Wildlands, while not perfect by any means, was at least a complete game that happened to include aesthetic microtransactions, while Breakpoint was designed from the ground up to be the magnum opus of horrible AAA gaming publisher greed, meaning you're highly encouraged to spend real money pretty consistently to un-gimp yourself, and that also the game's big new innovation, drones, suck to play against.

I just want to play a prettier version of Wildlands that lets me constantly find new guns and gun parts to play with, in between coordinating a bunch of synced headshots from stealth with my AI buddies. Is Breakpoint better at that or should I stick with Wildlands?

edit: I just read that Breakpoint is basically all about the gearscore and that turning it off is technically something you can do but it blocks you from being able to create a lot of the guns and gun parts you'll want. However once you're done with gearscore and can craft what you need, you can just turn it off and it feels like Wildlands again. Is that right?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 28, 2020

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I want my video game so bad that I will kill you and never be able to play it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreatGreen posted:

edit: I just read that Breakpoint is basically all about the gearscore and that turning it off is technically something you can do but it blocks you from being able to create a lot of the guns and gun parts you'll want. However once you're done with gearscore and can craft what you need, you can just turn it off and it feels like Wildlands again. Is that right?

Yep! You can flip back and forth between modes as you see fit. They have a ton of difficulty tweaks too that you can set individually if you want more challenge. The game is a lot like Wildlands, actually way more than I expected it to be based on the gear score stuff. It turns out that the gear scores are pretty much inconsequential and a headshot will still kill someone in one hit. It's not at all like the Division bullet sponge type stuff which is kind of what I expected going into it. I expected to play with gearscore off but it does add something to the game when you're finding better versions of guns. My buddy and I played Wildlands together and are now playing this and we're having a great time, so if you're looking for something that is like Wildlands but not Wildlands, Breakpoint is actually very good.

I will say that while I don't mind the gearscores and left the loot stuff enabled, the biggest bummer about the game is how hard they went into the looter shooter feel because you're gonna spend a couple of minutes after each battle running around and picking up all the stuff that dropped and opening all the chests that are around the base. I like it because finding loot with bigger numbers is fun to me, but I do wish there was a better way to handle the post-combat scavenging that you inevitably do a lot. I assume if you turn gearscore off you won't really have to worry about picking up stuff that was dropped, but will still probably need to go and open up all the chests to get the blueprints and whatnot.

Edit: Oh, and if you're looking for headshot syncing fun, you get a gadget that is like a tiny flying drone that will shoot a target you have marked, so playing with AI you can get 4 kills (you + AI) and throw up 3 or 4 of the sync shot drones to kill a couple more with you, letting you take down a bunch of people at once. It's pretty neat!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

dr.acula posted:

I want my video game so bad that I will kill you and never be able to play it

They should do their best to figure out who those people are and prevent them from buying the game.