Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there were things in Requiem for a Dream other than shots ripped off from Satoshi Kon and that guy saying rear end TO rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

there were things in Requiem for a Dream other than shots ripped off from Satoshi Kon and that guy saying rear end TO rear end?

Is it ripping it off if you literally bought the remake rights to do it and fully acknowledge that's where you took that ONE shot from?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is it ripping it off if you literally bought the remake rights to do it and fully acknowledge that's where you took that ONE shot from?

yes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's been linked to a new Tron film so I guess that franchise is dead to me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Tron was never good so you should thank him for giving you an excuse to let go

I don't know if this is the hottest or coldest take I've ever posted on these forums but whatever I'll stand by it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Tron was great.

As an arcade game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

I assume you man Leto but man for a hot second I thought we were getting Aronofsky Tron and that was quite a second.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tron Legacy was pretty emotional for me, I lost my favorite uncle when I was young and he was the techy computer sci-fi guy who got me into nerdy stuff.

Also Olivia Wilde has flawless bone structure and Jeff Bridges is always amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I assume you man Leto but man for a hot second I thought we were getting Aronofsky Tron and that was quite a second.

I would go get Rona and die to see an Aronofsky Tron in theaters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Guys you don't have to go out of your way to hate actual good movies like Requiem for a Dream because it has Leto in it (and saying it ripped off Perfect Blue because of one shot is some galaxy brain poo poo). You can rather hate his extremely lovely not good at all music instead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Madkal posted:

Guys you don't have to go out of your way to hate actual good movies like Requiem for a Dream because it has Leto in it (and saying it ripped off Perfect Blue because of one shot is some galaxy brain poo poo). You can rather hate his extremely lovely not good at all music instead.

I don't hate Requiem for a Dream. I actually love it. And I think Leto does well in it. But at some point when he was doing press after being cast as Joker you could actually hear the *crack*ping* of his brain. He was absolute dog poo poo in both Suicide Squad and Blade Runner 2049.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Tron Legacy was pretty emotional for me, I lost my favorite uncle when I was young and he was the techy computer sci-fi guy who got me into nerdy stuff.

Also Olivia Wilde has flawless bone structure and Jeff Bridges is always amazing.

Yeah, the only real weak link was the guy who played Sam, considering it was the period before Hollywood settled on the Chrises as the go-to for playing white male leads. And even he's not terrible, he's just kinda there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Olivia Wilde in Tron....

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they have Daft Punk do the score and get Olivia back I'll still see Tron even if Leto is in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, the only real weak link was the guy who played Sam, considering it was the period before Hollywood settled on the Chrises as the go-to for playing white male leads. And even he's not terrible, he's just kinda there.

He wasn't bad at all really, just bland ish.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club is just repulsive to me. It's like doing a minstrel show, but for trans women.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

The one he got nominated for a fuckin Oscar for, Dallas Buyers Club. He's a good actor.

I apologize for not reading the thread fully and addressing this but gently caress all the way off

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club is just repulsive to me. It's like doing a minstrel show, but for trans women.

Agreed! And he shouldn't have taken the role or even been offered it to begin with, and everyone involved is a bad PERSON. Which is again, more than enough reason to hate Leto. Again, nothing to do with the performance though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I do agree that making fun of a sex pest's acting or creative ability does feel like bad priorities.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mycot posted:

I do agree that making fun of a sex pest's acting or creative ability does feel like bad priorities.

Especially when you're making it up. It's like saying Rosemary's Baby sucks as a reason to not like Polanski. I can think of at least two way better reasons!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Agreed! And he shouldn't have taken the role or even been offered it to begin with, and everyone involved is a bad PERSON. Which is again, more than enough reason to hate Leto. Again, nothing to do with the performance though.

Imagine saying this because you thought Breakfast at Tiffany's was an example of Mickey Rooney being a great actor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

So what if he's a pederast cult leader, I thought his performance was good!!

Dude shut the gently caress up

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be clear, I think Jared Leto's performance in Dallas Buyers Club is actually bad. I don't know who decided on how Rayon should be portrayed, but it's reprehensible in a way that makes me hesitate to call it any kind of good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Imagine picking "Jared Leto actually is a good actor!" as the thing you want to make a point about when it comes to Jared Leto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Imagine picking "Jared Leto actually is a good actor!" as the thing you want to make a point about when it comes to Jared Leto.

It's super unimportant because if you won't watch a movie because Jared Leto is in it, finding out he's a really good actor in it isn't gonna convince you to watch it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He was pretty dreamy back on My So Called Life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I keep thinking of examples of good Jared Leto roles and then I realize I'm thinking of Jake Gyllenhaal

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

When Leto went on a villain monologue while he stabbed and murdered a chained, naked women in br2049 he was playing himself and that's all you need to know about Jared Leto

Well, besides the fact that he's an alleged child rapist, cult leader, and no you as a cis man don't get to judge whether a person like that deserves praise for acting as a trans person in a movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

When Leto went on a villain monologue while he stabbed and murdered a chained, naked women in br2049 he was playing himself and that's all you need to know about Jared Leto

Well, besides the fact that he's an alleged child rapist, cult leader, and no you as a cis man don't get to judge whether a person like that deserves praise for acting as a trans person in a movie

Never said he did. In fact I've said multiple times that he's a straight up terrible person, as was everyone involved with his casting. In fact, him being involved with it at all made me even like McConaughey less!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Never said he did. In fact I've said multiple times that he's a straight up terrible person, as was everyone involved with his casting. In fact, him being involved with it at all made me even like McConaughey less!

But you're using it as evidence of him being a good actor. I don't think it is.

I'm starting to believe the whole Jared Leto is a CIA plot conspiracy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

But you're using it as evidence of him being a good actor. I don't think it is.

I'm starting to believe the whole Jared Leto is a CIA plot conspiracy.

Well gently caress that example then, who cares. He's been fine in other stuff. He's still an absolute trash person who is most likely a kid diddler and is a confirmed cult leader at the very least. I don't think he should be in anything or anyone should pay to see him in anything, even if when he is in stuff he is sometimes good. That's all I'm saying. You don't gotta say he's across the board terrible at his job cause he's a bad person. Or, if you do, Thirty Seconds to Mars is right there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Well gently caress that example then, who cares. He's been fine in other stuff. He's still an absolute trash person who is most likely a kid diddler and is a confirmed cult leader at the very least. I don't think he should be in anything or anyone should pay to see him in anything, even if when he is in stuff he is sometimes good. That's all I'm saying. You don't gotta say he's across the board terrible at his job cause he's a bad person. Or, if you do, Thirty Seconds to Mars is right there.

I tried to make the Thirty Seconds to Mars joke at the very start of this discussion and nobody picked it up

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Jared Leto could be an actual literal saint, hovering in the air manifesting stigmata and curing the blind and the afflicted with his miraculous aura, and he'd still completely suck poo poo in Dallas Buyer's Club.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lolol

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It's ok Vince, I actually read your posts before the townsfolk burned you at the stake.

I'll make sure they put "Hated Jared Leto" on your tombstone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean..."Being a bad person doesn't make someone a bad actor" is a pretty piping lukewarm take but

go off I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I mean..."Being a bad person doesn't make someone a bad actor" is a pretty piping lukewarm take but

go off I guess.

That's not what people are saying.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think that no one here actually likes Jared Leto and acting ability is monumentally subjective so dogpiling on people when everyone pretty much agrees on the topic at hand is an annoying look for this forum.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Every time I see that scene I feel so bad for that actor. She has to be naked, covered in goo and worse, have Jared Leto all up in her poo poo. All while he talks about how we need slaves. Thank god the movie never once tries to show Wallace as a good or decent person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

On another note Stephen Amell had Covid and none of you let me know WOW I see how it is :saddowns: