Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

GramCracker posted:

I traded in my mk2 TTRS for a RS3 this past month. The RS3 is Paint to Sample in British Racing Green, and to my knowledge is either 1:1 in the US or the world. As soon as it showed up from California I immediately put H&R springs and my LM-R's on it, as well as some secondary decat pipes. I have a set of ecode headlights that I intend to put on the car this weekend to remove the amber corners. It's night and day difference compared to the TTRS, couldn't be happier.

I still think about this car from time to time. Great colour, and it's much cooler than the hatchback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That green colour is perfection.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Mini is back on the road with a new water pump and a full coolant system pressure test. The 4Runner just keeps on doing 4Runner things like being a daily driver when the Mini is broken (quite a bit this past six months), vacation and travel wagon, and building material hauler for home projects. To wit we loaded the truck with ~1100lbs of tile and flooring material and the suspension was ~vaguely amused~.

Someone on a Discord asked for a scale comparison with the 4Runner so here goes:

They're pretty much the same size...

...oh, oh my.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I love the tag on the Mini.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I pretty much just lurk here, but I just had a weekend adventure and got what is probably a boring car for this place. Sold my '07 Fit on Friday at home in AZ, talked to a Cali dealership on Saturday, took an overnight Amtrak to LA on Sunday, and drove home a new '20 Sonata Hybrid Limited on Monday.

Just after getting ceramic coated. The new gen is still really rare around here, everyone at the tint shop had no idea what it was. Apparently everyone who visited the tint shop while they were working on it for a few days was asking what on earth it was. It may be divisive on its looks, but I really dig it. When I picked it up everyone at the shop was taking photos of it outside. :3: 52.3 MPG driving from LA to Phoenix.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drat bold look.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I’d be very tempted to wrap the chrome in black. Did wonders for the overall look on my Optima. Already a good looking car, but needed less silver.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I’d be very tempted to wrap the chrome in black. Did wonders for the overall look on my Optima. Already a good looking car, but needed less silver.

That'd be tough. The drl goes about 1/3 up the hood and gradients to chrome. Interesting effect.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

That'd be tough. The drl goes about 1/3 up the hood and gradients to chrome. Interesting effect.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Took the M out for what will likely be one of the last few drives of the year before storage. Ignore the front bumper that had the clearcoat mercilessly ripped off by a fierce rinse cycle of a touchless car wash. I was so sick over it I didn't drive the car for a month. It just looks trashy. I will get it sprayed next year and probably have a few other little scratches and nicks fixed at the same time. The year after that I will go ahead and schedule the rod bearing replacement. For a decade old car and 52K miles it still thrills me every time I drive it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

PirateDentist posted:

I pretty much just lurk here, but I just had a weekend adventure and got what is probably a boring car for this place. Sold my '07 Fit on Friday at home in AZ, talked to a Cali dealership on Saturday, took an overnight Amtrak to LA on Sunday, and drove home a new '20 Sonata Hybrid Limited on Monday.

Just after getting ceramic coated. The new gen is still really rare around here, everyone at the tint shop had no idea what it was. Apparently everyone who visited the tint shop while they were working on it for a few days was asking what on earth it was. It may be divisive on its looks, but I really dig it. When I picked it up everyone at the shop was taking photos of it outside. :3: 52.3 MPG driving from LA to Phoenix.

What a great looking car! I'm an on-street parker, and that hood design makes me very nervous though.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Took the M out for what will likely be one of the last few drives of the year before storage. Ignore the front bumper that had the clearcoat mercilessly ripped off by a fierce rinse cycle of a touchless car wash. I was so sick over it I didn't drive the car for a month. It just looks trashy. I will get it sprayed next year and probably have a few other little scratches and nicks fixed at the same time. The year after that I will go ahead and schedule the rod bearing replacement. For a decade old car and 52K miles it still thrills me every time I drive it.
I had no idea a carwash could do that. Swirls yes but destroying the clear coat :stonk:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My 2006 E90 had the clearcoat stripped by a carwash too. I suspect it's something with rock chips creating a point of entry for the water.

When my 09 was in an accident and needed the bumper replaced, the shop did an amazing job and you couldn't even tell it was repainted, and that was the Barbera Red paint.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

I had no idea a carwash could do that. Swirls yes but destroying the clear coat :stonk:

Yeah it was a pretty awful thing. I never use the soft touch car wash. When I need it just spritzed off I will do a touchless job (plus it gets the under carriage washed). Once the high pressure rinse cycle came on I could hear how loud it was - I mean VERY loud in the car I was like "oh no this is not going to be good". It was not the usual place I go to for this kind of thing. I tried calling the number on google maps to tell them to turn down their pressure because it was blasting the crap out of the clearcoat on cars but the number was disconnected.

So I just posted photos to Google Maps on a review hoping it will one day get the attention of whoever manages the place to get them to turn it down. They are definitely getting seen. Google thought it would be encouraging to let me know that photos/review of my peeled clear coat bumper has been viewed over four thousand times. In just over two months :stonklol:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah it was a pretty awful thing. I never use the soft touch car wash. When I need it just spritzed off I will do a touchless job (plus it gets the under carriage washed). Once the high pressure rinse cycle came on I could hear how loud it was - I mean VERY loud in the car I was like "oh no this is not going to be good". It was not the usual place I go to for this kind of thing. I tried calling the number on google maps to tell them to turn down their pressure because it was blasting the crap out of the clearcoat on cars but the number was disconnected.

So I just posted photos to Google Maps on a review hoping it will one day get the attention of whoever manages the place to get them to turn it down. They are definitely getting seen. Google thought it would be encouraging to let me know that photos/review of my peeled clear coat bumper has been viewed over four thousand times. In just over two months :stonklol:

If you paid with credit card, see if there's a phone number on the receipt (if you still have it), or on your statement.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Bought my high school dream car in March, right before the pandemic hit: a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH in Ficus Green Metallic. She's a 5-speed with 96k miles, no rust, and just some gashes on the front lip/bumper, but otherwise no damage/accidents. It was a gamble because I bought it online sight-unseen, but it's paid off! Other than replacing the timing belt/water pump and steering rack, just some oil changes and interior/exterior refreshing.

I've never driven a stick before (it was about time I learned, at 33...), so my younger brother actually taught me in his '18 STI before I bought the Prelude. Kudos to him for being patient with me and for having the balls to let a newbie try it out in that beast, haha. I'm doing much better now; take-offs are still a bit iffy (but only 40% of the time) and hill starts still scare me, but I'm still improving.

Anyway, more pictures:

I put on some old 17" wheels from a car I had a long time ago, with some OEM Honda center caps to match. I've always been a fan of gunmetal wheels, so I was happy to use them again on a car. Also got tired of the new Iowa plates, so I got some custom plates in the blackout style. They fit the car so much better! Azayaka means "bright" or "vivid."

The paint, for being 20 years old, holds up well and shines. It's not perfect; it has some cloudiness from what I think is tree sap or water spots on the trunk and back half. I'll get the paint corrected eventually. Here's a shot of that cloudiness up-close; it's most evident in the middle of the photo:

... and a potato-quality shot of the basically OEM interior, right down to the headunit. I did add a GROM Bluetooth module to the CD changer port of the headunit to keep the stock appearance. It works really well.

I have no plans to mod the car; just trying to keep it as OEM as possible. She's due for new shocks all around soon, but since OEM SH shocks are discontinued, I might go for coilovers or an aftermarket shock/spring combination that's meant for a base model (from what I've read on Prelude forums, this seems to be the way to go for SH suspension replacement). A new clutch might be in order in the near-future, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shinde posted:

I have no plans to mod the car; just trying to keep it as OEM as possible. She's due for new shocks all around soon, but since OEM SH shocks are discontinued, I might go for coilovers or an aftermarket shock/spring combination that's meant for a base model (from what I've read on Prelude forums, this seems to be the way to go for SH suspension replacement). A new clutch might be in order in the near-future, too.

That is a sweet sweet OEM car.

Are the discontinued shocks you're looking for shared with the integra type r? Cause if so....

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fuckin hell yes. Rad Prelude.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

That prelude is loving beautiful nice find! Wow.

My best friends sis (and by extension, basically my sis) had a purple 5sp prelude a gen prior to that one and it was a loving riot to drive.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That looks super nice, and just in time for green car chat!! I always liked the look of preludes.

This is literally the only prelude for sale on cl in buffalo: https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/youngstown-honda-prelude/7220101461.html

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That gen prelude has to be one of my favorite car designs ever. Had my eye on a black sh a couple years ago but the seller was skeevy...I’d still buy one in a heartbeat. Awesome find!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That sucks. Find a top tier body shop and have them repaint it/fix your other dings, pay cash and at the end of the day you'll be pleased you had an excuse to take it in to a body shop. And then stop going to automated washes you absolute monster!!!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Oh hey I mostly post about motorcycles but I have a car too.

I used to have a Challenger but I traded it in for a Challenger.

I bought it through Carvana. It was a loving weird process where I basically bought/traded in the cars sight unseen with the hope that I'd get the registration and title fully handled by them by the time the temp tags expired. Somehow it worked out perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. They gouged the front valance taking it off the car carrier (I guess that's what those yellow protectors are for) but they're paying to replace it. Also it was DIRTY. I think it sat for a year, so it needed a good wash, cabin air filter, and oil.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Post ur bikes in here too!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Post ur bikes in here too!

Oh sure.

Harley Davidson Road Glide

And because sometimes you don't want to deal with a thousand pounds of motorcycle, a Ducati Scrambler.

I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee because traction can be cool sometimes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a quick shot up on the parking deck at work this morning

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just a quick shot up on the parking deck at work this morning

God drat that is a cool pic with that sky, love it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Strife posted:

Oh hey I mostly post about motorcycles but I have a car too.

I used to have a Challenger but I traded it in for a Challenger.

I bought it through Carvana. It was a loving weird process where I basically bought/traded in the cars sight unseen with the hope that I'd get the registration and title fully handled by them by the time the temp tags expired. Somehow it worked out perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. They gouged the front valance taking it off the car carrier (I guess that's what those yellow protectors are for) but they're paying to replace it. Also it was DIRTY. I think it sat for a year, so it needed a good wash, cabin air filter, and oil.

Every motherfucker in the Detroit area leaves the yellow things on the front lip and it looks so dumb. Cool car

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Every motherfucker in the Detroit area leaves the yellow things on the front lip and it looks so dumb. Cool car

It's Mopar owners in general

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I feel like dealers are just too goddamn lazy to remove them after they're shipped in and owners are like, "neat!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's likely part of it. A local guy told .e they're part of the car and it's "part of the style" but I don't get it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Didn't Dodge start offering different colors because they were so inexplicably popular? Could swear I read that somewhere.

e: https://jalopnik.com/dodge-chargers-and-challengers-will-get-purple-air-dam-1838781583

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

The new ones are gonna be bright pink so that might deter them more.

e: beaten

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Full lip in pink looks way better, unironically.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Strife posted:

And because sometimes you don't want to deal with a thousand pounds of motorcycle, a Ducati Scrambler.

This is gorgeous.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rhyno posted:

Some people have started mocking them at car meets

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32061/cars-and-coffee-geniuses-roast-dodge-owners-with-pool-noodle-splitter-guards

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I have seen this in person, we tried to find yellow pool noodles but they were scarce by then.

The Mopar idiots here are part of the "392 Gang" and cause problems at any enthusiast meet.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rhyno posted:

I have seen this in person, we tried to find yellow pool noodles but they were scarce by then.

The Mopar idiots here are part of the "392 Gang" and cause problems at any enthusiast meet.

Forget regular pool noodles.
Zip tie these to your bumper if you want to show people you're serious.

https://smile.amazon.com/JOYIN-Inflatable-Unicorn-Noodle-Float/dp/B07NXDWXSQ

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Rhyno posted:

Wow that sounds really dumb can't imagine why peop...

392 GANG YEA YEA YEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

The new ones are gonna be bright pink so that might deter them more.

e: beaten

The pink looks pretty cool tbh. It reminds me of Donovan Mitchell's signature basketball shoes in the VENOM colorway (I am especially excited because I found a pair for myself for Christmas)