Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying he engineered the whole thing. Just that the fake lynching (not the shooting) was his idea. I was under the impression that the merc gets shot, then Klaasje comes to the Hardies for help, then Ruby calls Evrart and he comes up with the plan.

Like others said, Evrart is not some "just according to keikaku" mastermind, but he is very adept at taking advantage of circumstances as they arise.

But even then that reduces Klassje to having no agency in events. She just becomes this sad girl swept up in things rather than her portrayal, which is as a master manipulator who is failing to avoid falling into old habits that got her exiled to Martinaise in the first place.

Also, what motivation does Ruby have for continuing to cover for Evrart at the time she claims Klassje was the originator of the idea to fake the hanging? She's been betrayed by everyone and running for her life from who she thinks is Madre's enforcer.

Sure nothing in the subtext explicitly contradicts the idea that Evrart was the one that came up with the fake hanging, but it's also thematically and narratively just out of left field.

Why wouldn't they both just rat him out anyway if that were true? Both women had to get out of Martinaise at that point to avoid the wrath of the Moralintern/Madre, and it appears at least Evrart's reach doesn't extend outside of his little fiefdom based on the reaction of Kim and Jean.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying he engineered the whole thing. Just that the fake lynching (not the shooting) was his idea. I was under the impression that the merc gets shot, then Klaasje comes to the Hardies for help, then Ruby calls Evrart and he comes up with the plan.

Like others said, Evrart is not some "just according to keikaku" mastermind, but he is very adept at taking advantage of circumstances as they arise.

I thought it was strongly implied by Ruby that Klassje had the hanging idea and was trying to frame Ruby by blaming it on her. The lividity suggests that they didn't hang around to consult; they hung him up in the bath tub pretty quickly before the lividity set in

Edit: the post directly above makes the point better than I do.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 27, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

necrobobsledder posted:

The way Harry handles him significantly better than "normal" kids gave me an impression Harry was more aligned with him than most people although we don't ever talk about HDB's childhood in the game (which was a good idea I'd say).

The Fifteenth Indotribe kind of clearly states that Harry's childhood was fairly similar to that of Cuno - he was somewhat of a street urchin. Plus, he worked as a gym teacher for a time - iirc it was in a school environment, hence why he can both be good with handling Cuno and show some neat feats of athleticism

Fister Roboto posted:

I was under the impression that the merc gets shot, then Klaasje comes to the Hardies for help, then Ruby calls Evrart and he comes up with the plan.

I"m pretty sure Ruby directly states that Klaasje organized the whole thing, including hanging the merc in the bathtub beforehand (as mentioned in the previous posts). I didn't get the impression that she's lying, and she never once mentioned speaking to Evrart, I'm pretty sure - at least on the night of the hanging.

I assume Evrart found out pretty quickly anyway, but I don't think he had any hand in causing this specific situation to happen the way it did - it was an interplay of passions and bad decisions completely unrelated to the surrounding political conflict (though the conflict provided the reason for everyone being there), which is very Noir and very *Disco*, I'd say

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

nurmie posted:

The Fifteenth Indotribe kind of clearly states that Harry's childhood was fairly similar to that of Cuno - he was somewhat of a street urchin. Plus, he worked as a gym teacher for a time - iirc it was in a school environment, hence why he can both be good with handling Cuno and show some neat feats of athleticism
Son of a bitch, I knew I had read something somewhere but couldn't put my finger quite on it beyond just the dialogue. I dunno whether to put more points into Encyclopedia or into Volition though (for myself that is).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lasting Damage posted:

But even then that reduces Klassje to having no agency in events. She just becomes this sad girl swept up in things rather than her portrayal, which is as a master manipulator who is failing to avoid falling into old habits that got her exiled to Martinaise in the first place.

Also, what motivation does Ruby have for continuing to cover for Evrart at the time she claims Klassje was the originator of the idea to fake the hanging? She's been betrayed by everyone and running for her life from who she thinks is Madre's enforcer.

Sure nothing in the subtext explicitly contradicts the idea that Evrart was the one that came up with the fake hanging, but it's also thematically and narratively just out of left field.

Why wouldn't they both just rat him out anyway if that were true? Both women had to get out of Martinaise at that point to avoid the wrath of the Moralintern/Madre, and it appears at least Evrart's reach doesn't extend outside of his little fiefdom based on the reaction of Kim and Jean.

Oh ok, I'm probably just misremembering things.

I guess I also forgot that Klaasje thought the shot was meant for her.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know what, having finished my hardcore playthrough last night, Vicquemare talks a lot of poo poo considering he's nowhere to be found when poo poo goes down. I may be a suicidal alcoholic high on a custom blend of every drug ever but when the chips are down I show up

Nerd.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

necrobobsledder posted:

although we don't ever talk about HDB's childhood in the game (which was a good idea I'd say).

There is actually something hidden on the subject in one of the thoughts. I don't know if this qualifies as a spoiler, but to just be sure:

The Fifteenth Indotribe thought pretty much confirms (or at least strongly implies) that Harry used to run with a crew of delinquents and small-time hustlers in his adolescence. It also says that Harry is the only one from the gang who is still alive, as all his old friends ultimately suffered premature and rather tragic deaths.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

no pressure??? :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dog chat is weird when theres already the kindest creature in the world in game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like devoting unnecessary time & effort to removing The Expression from my character's face

(e) Couple mechanics questions this morning. If I forget a thought from the Cabinet, do I have to run down the timer again if I want it back later? And on that, how liberal is the game with levels and their precious, precious skill points?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 28, 2020

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh ok, I'm probably just misremembering things.

I guess I also forgot that Klaasje thought the shot was meant for her.

But that's also probably a lie intended to distract you. If Klassje thought the bullet was intended for her, why would she spend the next week smoking out in the open on her roof? She would immediately bolt or stay inside on the lower level if she thought someone wanted to snipe her.

Klaasje lies about EVERYTHING, even things that are relatively pointless to lie about (as revealed by her lying about her true/fake name in her passport). I think the passport name reveal at the very end was the game's way of directly reminding you that Klaasje cannot be trusted on even minor details. It's not just the layers of lies and counter-lies that she constructs, but the incredible speed at which she tosses first the Hardy Boys, then Ruby, then you under the bus to draw attention away from herself that is remarkable. She purposefully set in motion the Hardie Boys vs. Mercs shootout with the lynching plan. She also expertly convinced you that Ruby was the true mastermind, and I wouldn't be surprised if she planted the otherwise unfounded idea that you were a mob hitman in Ruby's head, guaranteeing that your confrontation with Ruby was much more hostile than it otherwise would have needed to be. The net result of everything is a lot of explosive violence, and the perfect cover for her to vanish during with no survivors especially interested in pursuing her.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This. Nothing more needs be said.

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like devoting unnecessary time & effort to removing The Expression from my character's face

(e) Couple mechanics questions this morning. If I forget a thought from the Cabinet, do I have to run down the timer again if I want it back later? And on that, how liberal is the game with levels and their precious, precious skill points?

You get like 60 levels usually, more if you internalize certain thoughts that give fuckloads of xp.

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm saying that DE would probably do a better take on the trope of someone not capable of human relationships or responsibilities to handle animals than how John Wick did in movie form.

Moreover, usually what grounds people to the world as a resolution to an existential quagmire like HDB's is through something greater than themselves whether it be some ideal, love, revenge, etc. Maybe a hobby or job does the trick. For a lot of Hollywood stuff, it's kids / continuation of the species that works for most conservative folks. These are all fine and equally philosophically valid options, but DE didn't even really offer anything as a solution to HDB's misery as if there can be no resolution but IRL there really is in his socioeconomic position. For a game with all kinds of weird flavors of ice cream in it, not including vanilla in it seems more odd than anything else. Talking to a shipping container? Cool. Petting a mailbox? Party on. Being boring and trying to settle down after a lovely life? Whoa, that's crazy talk.

I couldn't quite get HDB to line up as Nicolas Cage's character in Bad Lieutenant like I was trying to go for my first playthrough, and that made me a bit frustrated given how much zaniness is in the game. I was aiming for a series of unexpected consequences like that and got something very different and I wasn't in quite the mindset to dig in the way it deserves. Also sure, dying randomly while not being sure how to do anything was way more fun in this game than in any other game ever honestly.
So HDB as a kid basically? Is that an ending maybe?

Maybe the point is the game isn't trying to let you slip back into comfort food because it doesn't help you learn anything. Have you considered that might be the case?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
HDB strikes me as a man who could provide a child with a very stable and caring upbringing

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Dinner table conversations/bedtime stories that last until 2am every day leaves little time for kids to get up to no good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Subvisual Haze posted:

But that's also probably a lie intended to distract you. If Klassje thought the bullet was intended for her, why would she spend the next week smoking out in the open on her roof? She would immediately bolt or stay inside on the lower level if she thought someone wanted to snipe her.

Klaasje lies about EVERYTHING, even things that are relatively pointless to lie about (as revealed by her lying about her true/fake name in her passport). I think the passport name reveal at the very end was the game's way of directly reminding you that Klaasje cannot be trusted on even minor details. It's not just the layers of lies and counter-lies that she constructs, but the incredible speed at which she tosses first the Hardy Boys, then Ruby, then you under the bus to draw attention away from herself that is remarkable. She purposefully set in motion the Hardie Boys vs. Mercs shootout with the lynching plan. She also expertly convinced you that Ruby was the true mastermind, and I wouldn't be surprised if she planted the otherwise unfounded idea that you were a mob hitman in Ruby's head, guaranteeing that your confrontation with Ruby was much more hostile than it otherwise would have needed to be. The net result of everything is a lot of explosive violence, and the perfect cover for her to vanish during with no survivors especially interested in pursuing her.

This is why I feel the correct moral thing to do is to arrest her because if she is allowed to continue living she will continue to throw people in lethal harm's way if she thinks it will save her skin. Doesn't matter that her enemies are the worst people in the setting, she's a danger to everyone she gets involved with

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

Man this game is good.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The failed Hardie Boys check leading to the "Cock Carousal" heart attack but for Klassje

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

she's hanging around on the roof because part of her wants the sniper to take another shot and finish the job. for all her duplicity, klassje's not totally cold - she genuinely did like lely and she probably attributes his death to being in proximity to a fugitive like herself. the entire frame job around lely's death was definitely masterminded by her, with evrart just adapting to circumstances as they arose, but if she was a total ice queen then she wouldn't have left you the final hint to catch the sniper, whether out of guilt or gratitude, and it's almost certain she didn't anticipate or want the subsequent shootout (though of course she still takes advantage of it as it comes)

trying to pin any of the characters involved with the hanged man as a completely devious plotter is a waste of time, because everyone in disco elysium is, to some extent, a complicated and self-contradictory mess. even kim, holiest of holies, eventually smokes his nighttime cigarette in the morning

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Oxxidation posted:

even kim, holiest of holies, eventually smokes his nighttime cigarette in the morning

"This is the one."

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Subvisual Haze posted:

Klaasje lies about EVERYTHING, even things that are relatively pointless to lie about (as revealed by her lying about her true/fake name in her passport). I think the passport name reveal at the very end was the game's way of directly reminding you that Klaasje cannot be trusted on even minor details. [/spoiler]

FWIW if you arrest Klassje, she does die. Which suggests that this particular lie is far from pointless.

I really like the depth of the Klassje and "Femme fatale? Maybe?!" rabbit hole. Which of your many conflicting biases and wants is preventing you from seeing the truth and how do you value what is likely true? The whole interaction becomes more of a mirror of the player's mind than the game, somehow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is why I feel the correct moral thing to do is to arrest her because if she is allowed to continue living she will continue to throw people in lethal harm's way if she thinks it will save her skin. Doesn't matter that her enemies are the worst people in the setting, she's a danger to everyone she gets involved with

Spoken like a true moralist.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Yeah turning Klaasje in is indefensible

It is flat out saying 'I think this person is so broken, so irredeemable, that they must die. They don't deserve a chance at redemption'. You know this even before the ending makes it clear you killed her by playing Hardass Cop. There's a reason Volition acquiesces when you show mercy. Who are you to say who doesn't deserve a second chance? Why should a complete fuckup cast judgement on another fuckup's life?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also you're just helping the elite clean up their loose ends.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Transient People posted:

Yeah turning Klaasje in is indefensible

It is flat out saying 'I think this person is so broken, so irredeemable, that they must die. They don't deserve a chance at redemption'. You know this even before the ending makes it clear you killed her by playing Hardass Cop. There's a reason Volition acquiesces when you show mercy. Who are you to say who doesn't deserve a second chance? Why should a complete fuckup cast judgement on another fuckup's life?

That relies on knowledge you don't have at the moment of decision though. At the moment where you make the decision regarding Klaasje you don't know that she will bolt when you confront Ruby, that her current story is yet another lie putting others in harms way, that choosing to arrest her will result in her death, or that the middle path of giving her a citation to appear at the station will be ignored Trying to find the perfect/correct solution after the fact kind of misses the point of roleplaying a character trying to make a decision with very incomplete information.

It's kind of existential really. You have to live life forward but can only understand it backwards.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
you want me to just go around arresting people? what? like some sort of cop???

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

That relies on knowledge you don't have at the moment of decision though. At the moment where you make the decision regarding Klaasje you don't know that she will bolt when you confront Ruby, that her current story is yet another lie putting others in harms way, that choosing to arrest her will result in her death, or that the middle path of giving her a citation to appear at the station will be ignored Trying to find the perfect/correct solution after the fact kind of misses the point of roleplaying a character trying to make a decision with very incomplete information.

It's kind of existential really. You have to live life forward but can only understand it backwards.

No, you do know she'll run. Kim tells you as much. Volition tells you as much too. The whole dilemma is 'if I show mercy, she'll probably bail, but if I don't, the Moralintern will kill her'. Go reread the conversation. This is stated by the text. That's what makes it compelling, and what apparently a lot of people missed. You don't know exactly what Klaasje will do by the end of her interview, but you have enough information to understand what the likely consequences of your actions will be.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

This person who has repeatedly lied to me has told me that if I arrest her she will die (and it will be my fault). This time I can be confident that she is telling the truth and not just emotionally blackmailing me for personal gain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

This person who has repeatedly lied to me has told me that if I arrest her she will die (and it will be my fault). This time I can be confident that she is telling the truth and not just emotionally blackmailing me for personal gain.

given the extreme lengths she went through to avoid being sniffed out by the moralintern you can probably deduce that Very Bad Things will happen to her if she's brought in, irrespective of her own testimony

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
though i'll admit my guiding principle in that decision (and all other things) was raw spite

the moralintern's representative in revachol is the sunday friend. you're going help the sunday friend? you're going to be a friend to the sunday friend? no thanks, i'll take possible bamboozlement over complicity in that poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

re: Klaasje

If there's anyone you can trust, it's Shivers. And Shivers does have something to say about her.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

Obviously, yes. Multiple outside and internal sources point that way...and the fundamental fact is Klaasje lies with truth. A good liar doesn't just 100% make up bullshit, and she's an excellent one. It's facile to assume everything she says is untrustworthy, and reductionist. You're a better detective than that. Part of being a good detective is knowing how to spot truth in a pack of lies.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wasn't looking for a "kind" creature for fun cute fodder or whatever but something that can be nurtured, neglected, etc. Perhaps a simple plant could have sufficed for the same dimension given how good the writing is. Also, not sure what it could be if we're not being ironic or cheeky here because the phasmid isn't one I'd consider "kind" unless we count "doesn't kill and torture you" as a level of compassion.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Klaasje's certainly a character who's a much more complicated version of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. My judgment call was "I can't trust this person to ever tell the truth regardless of circumstance or virtues" and decided based upon people who'd want to have her merely dead vs those that would want to do a lot more than just kill her. I couldn't figure out a Bad Lieutenant kind of decision for her despite building my character to be a manipulative, morally gray character.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Disco Dancer DLC when???

Seriously though, she's one of the most interesting parts of the whole game to me. I'd love to dive deeper into her past as a playable character.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Wasn't looking for a "kind" creature for fun cute fodder or whatever but something that can be nurtured, neglected, etc. Perhaps a simple plant could have sufficed for the same dimension given how good the writing is. Also, not sure what it could be if we're not being ironic or cheeky here because the phasmid isn't one I'd consider "kind" unless we count "doesn't kill and torture you" as a level of compassion.

How is it that you don't count a living miracle as an expression of kindness? One that actively, gently encourages you to move on from your worst tendencies, even.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
oh you were serious about that dog post

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Oxxidation posted:

she's hanging around on the roof because part of her wants the sniper to take another shot and finish the job. for all her duplicity, klassje's not totally cold - she genuinely did like lely and she probably attributes his death to being in proximity to a fugitive like herself. the entire frame job around lely's death was definitely masterminded by her, with evrart just adapting to circumstances as they arose, but if she was a total ice queen then she wouldn't have left you the final hint to catch the sniper, whether out of guilt or gratitude, and it's almost certain she didn't anticipate or want the subsequent shootout (though of course she still takes advantage of it as it comes)

trying to pin any of the characters involved with the hanged man as a completely devious plotter is a waste of time, because everyone in disco elysium is, to some extent, a complicated and self-contradictory mess. even kim, holiest of holies, eventually smokes his nighttime cigarette in the morning

also, she's the person who called about the body. that was not a good move on her part, for obvious reasons. you can call her on that, and i think we're supposed to believe the emotion in her response.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Honestly I'm not sure if it's more meaningful if the phasmid is actually saying that to Harry, or whether it's just Harry using Inland Empire to tell himself that via the phasmid

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Transient People posted:

How is it that you don't count a living miracle as an expression of kindness? One that actively, gently encourages you to move on from your worst tendencies, even.
You mean Dolores Dei? I got the impression that was all a fabrication by everyone and greatly exaggerated and twisted around given the state of the world and more an internalization of shame, regret, or whatever HDB could muster up separate from his psyche. In effect, a religious epiphany kind of experience at best, a sign of going literally crazy at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I liked this game because it explicitly doesn't have something, like an animal, trying to make you a better version of yourself. I both do not think that is what life is like, and definitely do not think that is what life is like in the DE universe. It's rough and gross and the game allows you to revel in it.

EDIT: In fact, the only thing I can think of that even comes close is Kim, who rules. He has his own story and his own life but provides a realistic level of support to someone with the past and tendencies of HDB.

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 28, 2020