Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't you generally want flared rims on your pots and saucepans to help with pouring? And isn't heavier generally a sign of better materials in cookware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't you generally want flared rims on your pots and saucepans to help with pouring? And isn't heavier generally a sign of better materials in cookware?

Flared rims do help. I tested a pour using the 6 qt pot from both sets and the Costco set did dribble slightly less, but It was in the neighborhood of two or three drips less.

The lower weight on the Tramontane set actually made it more controllable and it was possible to pour even that larger pot with one hand, albeit with only 500 ml of water in there. I would say being able to pour with one hand due to the better balance (and thus allow you to hold a colander or whatever with your other hand) would have more of an impact on your ability to control the flow than the flared edge would. Having both lower weight and a flared edge would obviously be ideal.

I tried boiling 500 ml in both 6 quart pots and the Tramontane set boiled about 15 seconds faster which is to be expected with the lower thermal mass that you have to heat up.

Oddly enough however, even with the copper core that the Costco had the boiling started more uniformly in the Tramontane pot.

it obviously doesn't have a whole lot of impact when you're just boiling water but if the skillets also have a similar sort of hot spot then that could affect cooking more directly.

Edit: I guess I should say that if I had a more full pot where the weight is dominated by the water rather than the pot then a flared edge may be more significant.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I've been getting ads all week for Bed Bath and Beyond's enameled cast iron dutch ovens and my lizard brain is getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on one for fried chicken and other goodness. Anyone have experience with their Artisinal Kitchen Supply brand?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'd suggest not getting a warranty for a cheaper fridge... I had a parade of barely trained people keep putting the wrong part in mine, which kept failing. I finally had a career electrician come out for something else, and he told me what the problem was, so I was able to have them fix it correctly the last time (even though they disagreed). I'd rather have paid the first time.

Agreed, don't let flunkies sent by Best Buy or other big box stores hook up or repair your appliances or plumbing. The flipside is you spend a couple grand on a Samsung that breaks 54 weeks later, you wait 3 weeks for an authorized repairman who says tough poo poo, the warrant expired and it's not repairable. Not a hypothetical situation btw. But for something like Frigidaire I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty. They only have 3 or 4 parts, all easily replaceable and can be purchased locally in most medium size cities. There are excellent youtube repair videos for them too.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was recently gifted a Breville Juice Fountain and I'm not too sure what to make of it.

I've never owned a juicer in my life and I gave it a shot yesterday. I placed some mixed berry frozen thing into the juicer and it made a terrible noise. Because the fruits are totally frozen, it popcorns around the tube. I stopped after one strawberry. I decided to put some, plums, blueberries, Asian pears and a handful of strawberries in there and well... it made juice. Decent enough I suppose.

I guess my question is... is this all it does? My kid wasn't too into the juice, but was really into eating the pulp. Is there anything I can do with the pulp?

It seems like a real waste of counter space and had like 4 parts to clean... for some juice... Can I make smoothies out of this thing? Or would I need a straight up blender?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Smoothies out of ice and/or frozen fruit demands a blender. Juicers are for, like, carrot juice and kale juice and the like

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Smoothies out of ice and/or frozen fruit demands a blender. Juicers are for, like, carrot juice and kale juice and the like

Ah that makes me very sad. *Charlie Brown song*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You are missing the big picture here: agua Fresca all the time without the hassle of straining the watermelon/cantaloupe/melon

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Juicers are a very specific tool and unless you love and need vast quantities of fresh squeezed juice you don’t really need one. Also do you have to peel citrus before juicing it? Wouldn’t the bitterness from the rind get extracted as well?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Juicers are a very specific tool and unless you love and need vast quantities of fresh squeezed juice hate fibre you don’t really need one. Also do you have to peel citrus before juicing it? Wouldn’t the bitterness from the rind get extracted as well?

Fixed. I don't understand juicers. I work with some nutritionists/registered dieticians and their take on confirms my kneejerk reaction that your teeth are enough of a juicer.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Fiber is way too important to justify purchasing a juicer. All the commercials should've been red-flaggy enough to warn folks away but here we are.

After adjusting my masa-per-tortilla weight down from 1.8oz to 1.5oz, I've determined I don't need a fancy new press and the one I've owned for ~12 years is just fine.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm not going to juice my drat citrus by hand every harvest. That's only reason to have one however

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Juicers are pretty useless. One time my friends put a bunch of decorative gourds through a juicer they were gifted and extracted about a tablespoon of juice per gourd. It didn't taste bad

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Jack LaLane style juicers are pretty worthless, but Champion juicers are legit.

You can find them for cheap on the shop goodwill auctions pretty often. They can also be used to make nut butters and have a grain grinder attatchment you can get for them.

You can get an almost sorbet type consistancy out of running frozen fruit through them as well.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Good news about the juicer. I was able to give it away to some sucker!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So we've got a very unusually sized fridge fitted into a hole in our cabinetry. Any ideas on what we could get for a replacement? It's around 82 inches tall, 27 inches deep, 35 inches wide. Only two things at Home Depot fit those dimensions and they were over 7 grand. I have a feeling we'll have to settle for something not as tall and have a gap between the top of the fridge and the cabinetry?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty normal to have a gap at the top tbh

you can use it for storage

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My wife is too short to reach up there. We're mainly worried if the gap shows a bunch of unfinished wood or something.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Speaking of fridges, does anyone make a good French door fridge without a builtin water dispenser or icemaker? I was looking at the Bosch 800 series, but they don't appear to make one without a builtin ice dispenser.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

bamhand posted:

So we've got a very unusually sized fridge fitted into a hole in our cabinetry. Any ideas on what we could get for a replacement? It's around 82 inches tall, 27 inches deep, 35 inches wide. Only two things at Home Depot fit those dimensions and they were over 7 grand. I have a feeling we'll have to settle for something not as tall and have a gap between the top of the fridge and the cabinetry?

BEWARE
the stated dimensions of the fridge do not necessarily include the space that it needs for the doors to open. Depending on the hinge design, a fridge may need 2-4 or even 6" of extra clearance on the sides for the doors to open. If you're buying from a big box, bring a measuring tape and actually open the doors. If you're buying from an appliance store they'll probably be able to tell you how much clearance it needs

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Check the depth of any fridges you find. 27" deep fridges are designed to not stick out into your kitchen, which is nice, but it means the cooling equipment that's normally on the back of a fridge is up on top of it, that's why its so tall. Get a shorter fridge and it will probably be deeper and stick out into your kitchen by some nontrivial amount.

Fridges with those dimensions are usually pretty expensive and fancy as they're designed to look nice and flush with your cabinets and so on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm thinking about getting a water filter. Any thoughts about whether I should get a pitcher or a faucet attachment?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Any ideas on neat/compact mason jar storage? Specifically empty mason jars.

For years I just used the partitioned cardboard carton they came in to keep them relatively dust-free when not in use, but just buying a replacement doesn't appear to be an option--the only places selling similar partitioned cartons seem to only sell them in bulk.

I'd just get a Cambro camrack and a couple covers but they're not sold individually.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm thinking about getting a water filter. Any thoughts about whether I should get a pitcher or a faucet attachment?

I have a Brita dispenser that stays in the fridge. I love having ice cold water at any time, the filters are easy to change and cheap, and the whole deal doesn’t interfere with the normal function of my sink, which is washing things. My family had one on-faucet as a kid and it constantly leaked and was huge.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've got two Britas - one pitcher that stays in the fridge, and a larger tank one that stays on the counter for whenever I need room-temp water for things like making coffee or cooking rice in the rice cooker.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've got two Britas - one pitcher that stays in the fridge, and a larger tank one that stays on the counter for whenever I need room-temp water for things like making coffee or cooking rice in the rice cooker.

Same, but vice versa.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I should get a pitcher for coffee. I have a friend who used to just put chunks of activated carbon in the bottom of a jug and used that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah we just have one pitcher in the fridge but our dominant use of it is making tea, and I feel dumb about chilling the water just to boil it a few hours later.

Maybe I’ll get one of those Japanese perma-kettles. Are they decent for a place that makes 5-10 mugs of tea a day?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe I’ll get one of those Japanese perma-kettles. Are they decent for a place that makes 5-10 mugs of tea a day?

It depends on what kind of tea. Remember that some types of tea brew better at lower temperatures - so a hot water dispenser might not be the ideal use case if you drink looseleaf tea. Twinings or Red Rose or some other teabag tea you're probably alright, though.

e: my Brita water dispenser thing:
https://www.brita.com/water-dispensers/ultramax/

It's full of filtered water, I fill it when it gets low, and it sits on my counter since I use more lukewarm water than I drink cold water.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Canuck-Errant posted:

It's full of filtered water, I fill it when it gets low, and it sits on my counter since I use more lukewarm water than I drink cold water.

Exactly what I have and do. It sits next to our sink here so filling it up is easy. If I want cold water, I get ice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canuck-Errant posted:

It depends on what kind of tea. Remember that some types of tea brew better at lower temperatures - so a hot water dispenser might not be the ideal use case if you drink looseleaf tea. Twinings or Red Rose or some other teabag tea you're probably alright, though.

My current thinking is to get a hot water dispenser and leave it set for 190-195F or so. I think that's fine for steeping black tea bags as well as most of my loose leafs. I might also get a small Brita to leave on the counter for refilling it, but I've been told quite clearly that the main Brita belongs in the fridge because everyone but me is suddenly an enormous cold water partisan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Any ideas on neat/compact mason jar storage? Specifically empty mason jars.

For years I just used the partitioned cardboard carton they came in to keep them relatively dust-free when not in use, but just buying a replacement doesn't appear to be an option--the only places selling similar partitioned cartons seem to only sell them in bulk.

I'd just get a Cambro camrack and a couple covers but they're not sold individually.

I use filing boxes or 14x10x10 cardboard boxes and close the top. Do you really need partitions?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I use filing boxes or 14x10x10 cardboard boxes and close the top. Do you really need partitions?
:shrug:

I guess I like the partitions because when I'm storing the canning jars off-season they get stacked and shoved to the back of the pantry and it's nice if they're snugly packed.

I really don't want to use just a random packing box because I have to tetris them all into a fairly small space, and if I switched to using boxes with more wasted space I'd have to put them somewhere else.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What's everyone's favorite food storage/transport option? I'd like to upgrade from the entree sized Gladware I use to bring my lunch to work each day and figured I'd see if GWS had a go-to recommendation. I bike to work each day, so it needs to be able to be tossed into a backpack without taking up TOO much space or leaking. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

XIII posted:

What's everyone's favorite food storage/transport option? I'd like to upgrade from the entree sized Gladware I use to bring my lunch to work each day and figured I'd see if GWS had a go-to recommendation. I bike to work each day, so it needs to be able to be tossed into a backpack without taking up TOO much space or leaking. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
What are you transporting? If your lunch possibilities include bowl-of-something that you want to keep warm, and assuming you're not too price sensitive, I'd go with a Zojirushi Mr Bento. But if your lunch is usually a sandwich, bread and cheese, or something like that it would be comically fussy overkill.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SubG posted:

What are you transporting? If your lunch possibilities include bowl-of-something that you want to keep warm, and assuming you're not too price sensitive, I'd go with a Zojirushi Mr Bento. But if your lunch is usually a sandwich, bread and cheese, or something like that it would be comically fussy overkill.

Haha, it's basically always some form of pasta. I've considered switching to those reusable silicone ziplock-y bags and then keeping a microwave safe bowl at work, since that would help with space in my bag

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
SO I think I want a dough mixer for bread, pasta, and pizza. Any more up to date recommendations that are available in UK than the OP?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

SO I think I want a dough mixer for bread, pasta, and pizza. Any more up to date recommendations that are available in UK than the OP?

With black friday coming up you should be able to pick up a kitchenaid for a decent price, I got an artisan from Currys last year for £279.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've got a 1000w Kenwood Chef which I would recommend to anyone really. Doesn't look as smart as the kitchenaid one perhaps but it does the job really well. Got the blender and spice grinder as well. I've had it 10 years now, my sister has my grans Kenwood that's been going strong since the 60s.

Just make sure it's got metal gears not nylon ones, they have fewer problems in the long run. Especially if you want to be mixing a lot of stiff dough, get the most powerful one you can with metal gears.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Chef-KVC3100W-Stand-Mixer/dp/B071L62RL5

One thing I would suggest though is getting the rubberised K beater as well which helps when mixing small amounts.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubG posted:

Absolutely seconding this. We only got a few months of use out of them before we stopped bringing lunch to work (because we stopped GOING to work), but even though lunches are leftovers 90% of the time, it made it a better, healthier, more pleasant experience all around. Huge step up from just a delitainer. The only hitch is they're nominally not dishwasher-safe, and I haven't tested that, so you have to hand wash after eating or as soon as returning home.

http://ec5.images-amazon.com/images/I/71suevcTRLS.pdf is a good comparison and https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/vacuum-insulated-lunch-jars shows the full line, including the Tiffin version. We actually both got the Stainless Steel Ms. Bento, which is a perfectly serviceable lunch unless you're a construction worker or something. The Tiffin is actually really interesting because all three of the insulated bowls are "soup" bowls with the gasket that makes them not leak if you put in something saucy or soupy. But the standard "insulated" bowl with the locking lid is fine for anything not actually liquid.