Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Malcolm XML posted:

nano sucks
vi(m) sucks
emacs sucks

ed is the only editor
teco or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

RFC2324 posted:

This. If you work on the cli, you should have basic vi skills, even if you use normally use a bad editor instead

one time i used a lovely embedded system that had the vi built into busybox somehow configured so there was no undo. i don't know how we did that. i can't even blame anybody else because i had the authority to change it but nope just rolled with it. in my defense that was a bad place to work

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phobeste posted:

one time i used a lovely embedded system that had the vi built into busybox somehow configured so there was no undo. i don't know how we did that. i can't even blame anybody else because i had the authority to change it but nope just rolled with it. in my defense that was a bad place to work

*compiles vi to not be able to save files* this editor sucks!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Busybox vi doesn't have undo, presumably for memory usage reasons? Maybe plain vi doesn't have it either and it's a vim function?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have used Linux for over 20 years now. I know 5 things about vi:

- a: insert poo poo
- wq: quit and save poo poo
- q! : quit without saving poo poo
- dd: remove an entire line of poo poo
- /: search for poo poo

That's all you really need.
That being said, nano is my editor of choice in the console. It's small, works well, and isn't 12M like vim is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That being said, nano is my editor of choice in the console. It's small, works well, and isn't 12M like vim is.

Every version of vi has undo.

:e!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

xtal posted:

Someone just mentioned NixOS and it doesn't come with vi. nano has been the default there for maybe ever.

i've luckily never worked with anyone who was such an enormous dipshit they ran nixos. that's pretty impressive though, loving up linux so bad it doesn't even have vi

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

:same:

i know just enough to do simple things and bail if i get stuck, but every time i tried to actually learn vi/vim i didn't even get 5 minutes in to some tutorial before my eyes glazed over and i went to do something else because it's a waste of time in the 21st century

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

MAH MEGABYTES

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

MAH MEGABYTES

I'm an embedded Linux engineer. :v:

Edit* Some of the products I am working on use a cell connection where a megabyte of bandwidth can cost upwards of $1 - $2. Now multiply that by 5,000+ devices and 12M is quite a bit!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Every version of vi has undo.

:e!

I now know 6 things.

- e!: Undo all the poo poo

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 28, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I now know 6 things.

- e!: Undo poo poo

Fyi e! Is actually reload from disk. It reverts everything to the last save.

\/\/\/ yes, my joke. I just felt bad thinking about someone doing a bunch of work, and using e! Thinking it was just gonna undo the last thing

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 28, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Fyi e! Is actually reload from disk. It reverts everything to the last save.

:thejoke:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I'm an embedded Linux engineer. :v:

Edit* Some of the products I am working on use a cell connection where a megabyte of bandwidth can cost upwards of $1 - $2. Now multiply that by 5,000+ devices and 12M is quite a bit!

nope embedded doesn't exist

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The best vi thing I ever learned is ci.

ci" deletes everything between the next set of ", places the cursor there, and switches to insert mode.

It works with a lot of common characters, ( [ ' etc.

Other than that, only s/// syntax and ranges are useful day-to-day.

I don't even use hjkl, like a rube.

Also, if you use ed, you wouldn't have to think about those things.

?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tbh the first thing I do on a debian-based system is replace vi with vim. Which they should do anyway.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

spankmeister posted:

tbh the first thing I do on a debian-based system is replace vi with vim. Which they should do anyway.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Do any of vim's improvements over vi matter to people who use vi once a month at best?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Do any of vim's improvements over vi matter to people who use vi once a month at best?

yes you can use the arrow keys to navigate

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You need vim to be able to edit more than one file at a time (edit, rather, without saving and switching between the single open file)

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Multilevel undo/redo is nice if you're making even slightly complicated changes, as is the loosening of mode strictness, merging lines while editing.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do those files really need editing? what do the files think about it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

use sshfs and whatever editor you have already setup and configured on your local machine.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i've luckily never worked with anyone who was such an enormous dipshit they ran nixos. that's pretty impressive though, loving up linux so bad it doesn't even have vi

nixos is a great honeypot for funrollers

keeps them away from projects people actually want to use

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's okay linux users you can admit that vi/m is bad. we won't take your nerd cards. you are safe

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

use sshfs and whatever editor you have already setup and configured on your local machine.

TRAMP solved this problem better a long time ago

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's okay linux users you can admit that vi/m is bad. we won't take your nerd cards. you are safe

i like geany

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it’s not so much that it’s bad, as that it’s a relic of a past age. there’s nothing wrong with learning to ride a horse either.

in this analogy nano advocates are saying “horses are hard to ride, we must provide horse-drawn buggies to be friendlier”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nope embedded doesn't exist

If that were the case, my job would be a whole hell of a lot easier!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If that were the case, my job would be a whole hell of a lot easier!

the mindset of "constantly logging into embedded machines to manually edit config files" being targeted as a valid and common use case that anyone should give a poo poo about explains a lot about the linux desktop experience

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

the mindset of "constantly logging into embedded machines to manually edit config files" being targeted as a valid and common use case that anyone should give a poo poo about explains a lot about the linux desktop experience

No. I try to ensure that none of my machines out in the field have editors, let alone a read-write file system. Some clients though I can't control and demand that they have an editor "just in case."

Hell, I had one client refuse to let me enable selinux because "it's too hard."

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

No. I try to ensure that none of my machines out in the field have editors, let alone a read-write file system. Some clients though I can't control and demand that they have an editor "just in case."

ok thats cool

and also :rip:, respectively

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just a couple days ago i saw someone whining about the vim package on debian installing some sound libraries and i'm still salty about it

like who gives a gently caress, here's a penny go and buy yourself another gig of disk space

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

selinux is security theater.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's not 1998 anymore get your phone out and google "help i am use vi what do" and click on any of the results. this criticism of vi hasn't been valid for a looong time

No cellphone reception in the data centre how will I fix my HP-Ux box now :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

feedmegin posted:

No cellphone reception in the data centre how will I fix my HP-Ux box now :colbert:

Load the ignite tape from the IPL and configure the system with Sam.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

selinux is security theater.

Sure it is chief. Now go play outside.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Progressive JPEG posted:

just a couple days ago i saw someone whining about the vim package on debian installing some sound libraries and i'm still salty about it

like who gives a gently caress, here's a penny go and buy yourself another gig of disk space

These people rule because it's an instant tell that they will contribute absolutely nothing to any conversation. There was a dude in my college who used gentoo because he could "disable all the crap he didn't need compiled" in his software and would berate those of us who used mainstream distros.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sure it is chief. Now go play outside.

Describe a situation where selinux would prevent a security compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

here's a penny go and buy yourself another gig of disk space