Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Stoves with DLC is a the future jabby warned us of.

Need that roast in a hurry? For just a few pence, you can unlock your oven's TURBO MODE, for one hour only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cars aren't the only road users. Years ago an oncoming cyclist turned right (across a red light) in front of me and t-boned my bike, cracking the fairing and causing a fair amount of damage to one of my boots - total cost to repair would have been about 500 quid if I wasn't already waiting on replacements from an earlier incident with a minicab. Had the timing been slightly different and I hit him instead I'd have almost certainly come off at 30 mph, more than enough to need me to replace most of my protective gear and probably enough to cause a couple of grand damage to the bike.

Also just yesterday a cyclist (on a narrow pavement, right next to a wide open and completely empty main road - why *do* they do that?) caught my wrist with his handlebar as he passed me. No harm done apart from a bit of a jump, but had he hit my watch, or had my phone been in that hand, or had he hit me hard enough to cause me to take time off work (and I weren't fortunate enough to have a fairly generous employer) that could have been very expensive for me. We've have more than one pedestrian actually killed by cyclists in London if you think I'm being too dramatic about my own experience.

I've been hit a few times by cyclists on the pavement (coming fast round a corner) and whilst it's thankfully not caused me any damage if they had hit a child or elderly person they could have seriously hurt someone. That said I've nearly been hit (or rather had cars not stop and I've avoided them cause I was paying attention) on a pelican crossing way more times than I've had trouble with cyclists. I've literally been halfway across the road and had cars not stop for me, happens quite often because I se the crossing twice a day at least and there's no better place to cross. That said I've noticed cyclists are particularly bad at stopping for pedestrians using the crossing, if at least a little less scary.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

jabby posted:

Need that roast in a hurry? For just a few pence, you can unlock your oven's TURBO MODE, for one hour only.

Shhh you'll give them ideas!

(Actual turbo mode is great though, route more than the usual max power to a ring to get the water boiling. Haven't had a bill for DLC yet...)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Tesla just rolled out the new version of their "Full Self Driving" package and Twitter has been full of videos of people filming their cars doing incredibly dangerous things.

I don't necessarily expect manufacturers to get everything right straight away, and it'll take some time to develop industry standards like exist for crash safety. I suppose we'll eventually end up with a suite of tests the car has to pass to achieve some certification - act correctly when faced with a child running out into the road, or temporary lane markings, or a fallen tree or whatever else. But the current plan seems to be "live update with whatever our AI people threw together last night and let the public figure out the bugs on the road." Maybe eventually legislation will catch up and actually make manufacturers liable for their shoddy AI and force them to act just a little more responsibly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Musk is definitely using the public as unwilling beta-testers, I do wonder if he'll be challenged at some point on the legal principle that the driver remains in control at all times. Lane-keeping is one thing, but if autopilot is going to make turns or decide when to stop/go at lights there's a definite argument that if it fucks up an average driver wouldn't have time to prevent an accident.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Didn't you realise you were on a cycle lane all along? Here you go, have a gently caress you.

e:

jabby posted:

You know it'll be 99p for 24 hours, because that looks far more reasonable but people will only use it once during that time.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 28, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1321456890761629699

This is as part of Momentum's eviction resistance campaign, I encourage people to get involved.

I can't think about Thangam without remembering the time someone told her to get in the sea & she claimed it was a death threat rather than just something everyone ran into the ground at the time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The facts as reported about Kier Starmer's attempt on the life of that deliveroo cyclist make no sense. If he was travelling in the direction they say, the spaces on that road are on the other side and they say damage to his car was on the drivers door with the cyclist travelling in the opposite direction. Whether he was doing a U turn or parking I don't see how those facts add up.

Only if he was already parked and pulled out to straighten up or something then the cyclist could have riden into the drivers door. But that doesnt really match the desciptions.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thangam debonnaire is such a stupid villain name that i'm now convinced der starmer is gonna win
thats a name with destiny

e: so is Sir Starmer, Keir II, come to think of it

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 28, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

forkboy84 posted:

I can't think about Thangam without remembering the time someone told her to get in the sea & she claimed it was a death threat rather than just something everyone ran into the ground at the time.

And saying cancelling rent would be 'un-labour' while claiming £1600 per month rent on expenses.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I cant think about Thangam Debbonaire without singing the Bon Jovi song and I laugh to myself every time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

the sex ghost posted:

I cant think about Thangam Debbonaire without singing the Bon Jovi song and I laugh to myself every time

Can't see how that scans into Wanted Dead or Alive???

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We've have more than one pedestrian actually killed by cyclists in London if you think I'm being too dramatic about my own experience.

Oh great Twisto, fount of London knowledge, do you have any idea what F.H.G.M.D.C might stand for? It's on a silver cross and the rest of the inscription says 2nd Prize Juniors 1910, which I realize was before your time, but I hoped maybe some of the initials were geographically recognizable.

In case it helps, the prizewinner was my great-uncle whose Methodist umbrella-making family lived in Bethnal Green.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hosed Hogs, Grandad Mount (David Cameron)

e: Maybe it's the name of the prize, the For Helping Get Methodists Dry Cross, and not something originally given to William Mount by a time traveling pig touching David Cameron.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 28, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

Oh great Twisto, fount of London knowledge, do you have any idea what F.H.G.M.D.C might stand for? It's on a silver cross and the rest of the inscription says 2nd Prize Juniors 1910, which I realize was before your time, but I hoped maybe some of the initials were geographically recognizable.

In case it helps, the prizewinner was my great-uncle whose Methodist umbrella-making family lived in Bethnal Green.

Google this:

methodist medal junior

and check out images.

Does it look like any of those?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Oh dear me posted:

Oh great Twisto, fount of London knowledge,

Oh this reminds me, I need to ask Twisto something about bikes (which I'm given to understand he has a passing knowledge of)

The question is: what the gently caress is with those motorbikes that have a tiny rear wheel? I've seen them all over london starting a few months ago and they look ridiculous

(so new they seem to be that I can't find an image of one on google)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Google this:

methodist medal junior

and check out images.

Does it look like any of those?

Thank you! It doesn't in detail, but the shape of the cross is similar enough to suggest this was a Methodist thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Thank you! It doesn't in detail, but the shape of the cross is similar enough to suggest this was a Methodist thing.

MIght be worth contacting the Bethnal Green Methodist church directly if you want to research further?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who was it said that the papers would give Starmer a pass for knocking down a cyclist because something something sensible centrist status quo

because lol

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

who was it said that the papers would give Starmer a pass for knocking down a cyclist because something something sensible centrist status quo

because lol

If it were Corbyn it would've been the BBC's top story and every front page.

Starmer is playing on easy mode and still can't pull ahead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

If it were Corbyn it would've been the BBC's top story and every front page.

Starmer is playing on easy mode and still can't pull ahead.
That's what happens when you keep veering right on a circular track.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's quite amazing honestly. A leader of a political party has physically injured a member of the public and it hasn't reached beyond Twitter and Guido Fawkes.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 28, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

How weird, I'm literally reading up on Methodists in Bethnal Green right now. First thought is MDC might be Middlesex District Championships - although the LCC stole Bethnal Green and environs from Middlesex in 1888, most sports and other activities continued to use the name for their London-area teams and contests (including cricket to this day of course) but I'm basing that on nothing other than a hunch.

Let me have a think and ask a few people in the local history groups I'm in and see if anyone has anything better than my reckons.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh this reminds me, I need to ask Twisto something about bikes (which I'm given to understand he has a passing knowledge of)

The question is: what the gently caress is with those motorbikes that have a tiny rear wheel? I've seen them all over london starting a few months ago and they look ridiculous

(so new they seem to be that I can't find an image of one on google)

Not seen what you're talking about unless you mean the various Grom knockoffs which are generally tiny all over.

What style of bike are we talking about? Bigger or smaller than regular bikes? Is the rider leaning forward, sitting up, or leaning back?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Didn't Corbyn's car accidentally nudge someone and make front page news and top headlines for a decade or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not seen what you're talking about unless you mean the various Grom knockoffs which are generally tiny all over.

What style of bike are we talking about? Bigger or smaller than regular bikes? Is the rider leaning forward, sitting up, or leaning back?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Didn't Corbyn's car accidentally nudge someone and make front page news and top headlines for a decade or something?
His driver ran over a cameraman's foot when his car was being mobbed, and it was frontpage that he had hit someone for a few days, yes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stay out of Hoxton.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Let me have a think and ask a few people in the local history groups I'm in and see if anyone has anything better than my reckons.

Awesome, thank you. And I'd be interested if you can recommend any reading on Bethnal Green Methodists as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Awesome, thank you. And I'd be interested if you can recommend any reading on Bethnal Green Methodists as well.

It's a (short) history of the East End Mission I picked up at Brick Lane Bookshop - alas there doesn't seem to be a single book covering the era and subject which is a pity because there's loads of little tales, from Frederick Charrington giving up a comfortable inheritance from his brewery-owning family to spend his time picketing pubs and chasing sex worker's clients down the street screaming about where they'd just been, to the Sally Army forming brass band infantry squares to cope with the somewhat enthusiastic criticism of locals not interested in being saved, that are part of east end folklore but are almost impossible to actually track down to a definitive source.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idk if this is the best place to ask but: does anyone have recommendations for english language news outlets that focus on european news and aren't fash rags? the indy is ok but it is of course very UK focused...

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

bump_fn posted:

idk if this is the best place to ask but: does anyone have recommendations for english language news outlets that focus on european news and aren't fash rags? the indy is ok but it is of course very UK focused...

Politico is pretty good (for liberals)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone based round York sort of way? Up here for a few months and looking to do some political poo poo. Community organising, Acorn type stuff, nothing wild - living with family so not a chance I’m risking bringing anything down on them. Figured this might be a good place to ask. Drop me a pm if you don’t want to expose your location in thread.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bump_fn posted:

Deutsche Welle is a rough equivalent of the BBC World Service that'll see you all right.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jakabite posted:

Anyone based round York sort of way? Up here for a few months and looking to do some political poo poo. Community organising, Acorn type stuff, nothing wild - living with family so not a chance I’m risking bringing anything down on them. Figured this might be a good place to ask. Drop me a pm if you don’t want to expose your location in thread.

There's a York food not bombs Facebook group that's a good bet for getting in touch with people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Deutsche Welle
You have to remember to pronounce it correctly though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I missed that the Government buried the publication of the Cygnus report during the Manchester brouhaha last week https://archive.vn/dKQyb

Also it turns out that Hunt is such a soft twat he can't even turn off pretend ventilators in a pretend pandemic https://archive.vn/ZmSmq

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can someone help me find some pictures.

They are a series of drawings of how taxes would affect the average family.

The average family being a single mother on $250k (as they were about obamas tax plans of i recall correctly).

TIA

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I missed that the Government buried the publication of the Cygnus report during the Manchester brouhaha last week https://archive.vn/dKQyb

Also it turns out that Hunt is such a soft twat he can't even turn off pretend ventilators in a pretend pandemic https://archive.vn/ZmSmq

The press dragged corbyn over the coals for not willingly murdering 50 million Russians in nuclear hellfire for no adequately explained reason but hunt is apparently given a free pass to kill hundreds of thousands of british people in a pandemic scenario by refusing to take his job seriously and accept the responsibilities that come with it.

edit: as I recall the main thing that the NHS took from cygnus was that in a time of crisis the government may not actually have people willing to make the tough choices that need to be made to save lives, hilariously, because of this.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

notaspy posted:

Can someone help me find some pictures.

They are a series of drawings of how taxes would affect the average family.

The average family being a single mother on $250k (as they were about obamas tax plans of i recall correctly).

TIA

I can't find the gif that recommends the guillotine for all of them though, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

I like this, I don't really understand the 'dependency on the state' argument, people like being able to feed their kids more than a staple diet. They're not feral cats, but people seem to think that if you feed one kid they'll tell the others and oh no suddenly they're all making GBS threads in your garden.

Anyway, Sarah Vine is being mildly ratioed (just over 2:1) for this weird rear end tweet.

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1321461513354387456