Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Any good mods to make survival...not so spongy? I like the health / needs / resource management parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Does it let me set things up so that cities will start building themselves before I do it, or is that something I’ll have to wait for Conquerer 2 for?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hot Diggity! posted:

Any good mods to make survival...not so spongy? I like the health / needs / resource management parts.

I use drat Apocalypse and Advanced Needs. The former changes loot tables to be more barren and the latter is totally customizable.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like doesn't help his request of less bullet sponge enemies.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hi I'm here to shill for horizon, it's good if you like those things

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

cheesetriangles posted:

In the latter you tweak incoming and outgoing damage to whatever you want and the former improves upon the vanilla resource management aspect.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

got about ten hours into sim settlements 2 and for the most part it seems pretty slick

voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag mostly on the better than you'd expect side, whoever they got for the main guy (dude from the trailer) is very well done, then its kind of up and down for some of the unique settlers though.

by the ten hour mark though quests are starting to get creaky and i eventually hit a progression stopping bug that may be caused by XDI (which has otherwise worked perfect with the mod)

so maybe give it a week or two for a bunch of hotfixes unless you really want to check out the new stuff

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I use drat Apocalypse and Advanced Needs. The former changes loot tables to be more barren and the latter is totally customizable.

This might be the ticket!

Chronojam posted:

Hi I'm here to shill for horizon, it's good if you like those things

I'll be sure to give this a look on a fresh run. Thanks!

Also Chrono how's it going? Still playing BF? This is TubeStank / RomanCoins after name change

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Horizon 1.9 is on the... horizon, but I'm going to want to wait for some semblance of a Sim Settlements 2 patch to get cooked up.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Also Chrono how's it going? Still playing BF?

Pretend I replied with an olde tymey artillery truck shooting down wooden biplanes

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hot Diggity! posted:

This might be the ticket!

I'll be sure to give this a look on a fresh run. Thanks!

Also Chrono how's it going? Still playing BF? This is TubeStank / RomanCoins after name change

Horizon might be better, I dunno. I can't remember why I chose not to use it but I think it was because it was one of those mods that did too many things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Probably that, yes. It's a comprehensive overhaul so you can't really customize it, and some of its changes may not be to your tastes. That said, sometimes I don't really want to pick and choose my mods and just want one easy package to use.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's going into horizon 1.9? It seems like it's been in development for a long time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm surprised at how much is in the sim settlements 2 mod. Also I'm running the mod that lets you have dogmeat and another companion and I'm surprised at the extra stuff that was put in by beth just for them to go and cut that feature out. Not just the lines with your companion calling out dogmeat getting hurt, but a line I never saw before was entering vault 81 and having the guard question "what about their companion and dog?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

riding vertibirds theres one spot for a companion and one just for dogmeat as well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SS2 has a lot of quest content but it would be nice if you could get to the actual meat of the settlement stuff a bit faster? Like you have to do a lot of existing areas in the game before you get more than basic houses and farms.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

it does take quite a bit to do more than just housing/agri/industrial stuff yeah

run i did was about 10 hours (using fast travel on top of that) to unlock that more stuff

i did appreciate it kind of bounces you around the NW area giving purpose to a lot of areas you never really need to revisit early game but yeah it takes awhile to ramp up as you run around trying to fix the asam hub

only thing that annoyed me before the quests eventually breaking was the early one that was like build a large amount of residential/agricultural/industrial plots and it was like i really dont have that much space for this (this was a save that already had like 20+ people in sanctuary but was like assign 8 people to agricultural and industrial plots) i ended up just destroying most of them after the quest cleared

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is two any more stable than 1. I had to kill my last run through of four cause trying to play a game that crashes half the time while also being in survival was destroying my soul.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its just base game sims so like you got plots and stuff so in that regard its stable ish, only rise commonwealth/conqueror was the real save breaker cause you just have scripts running non stop managing cities (that were probably built out more than most pcs could handle)

they're doing hotfixes every day, i didnt check today, but yeah eventually the quests got pretty dodgy id say wait unless you want to test it out out of curiosity

for reference i did all my stuff just with unofficial patch and XDI and AFT and it worked mostly seamlessly the first five hours than after that was a lot of quests acting up or needing console commands to progress before i hit a hard stop

going off the hotfix notes its not just load orders, they did gently caress some things up, which is fine, but yeah wait a couple weeks if youre on a save you cherish

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's too bad. I really like the idea of plots growing on their own. With me only having to provide supplies or what not, but goddamn does all the scripts kill my older pc.

It's too bad. Fallout for is 75% to a game I'd love but they really messed up some core things that make it nearly unplayable.

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
There is a mod to help with scripts.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46340

Make sure to install the address library.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

IllustriousChen posted:

There is a mod to help with scripts.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46340

Make sure to install the address library.

Interesting. Will this help with the significantly longer load times that Sim Settlements causes?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Ugh. I tried out Sim Settlements 2 and I can not, for the love of god, get Jake to show up at Sanctuary. I've got the magazine and built the settlement beacon and power generator and he never shows up.

n/m. someone confirmed that the guy working on it was trying to trim down the size of the mod and, in doing so, broke the questline that triggers him showing up. Good grief.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 29, 2020

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

Interesting. Will this help with the significantly longer load times that Sim Settlements causes?

It has for me on both the first and second mods.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Aaand there goes my playthrough. Something in SS2 is causing my game to crash whenever I go near sanctuary or the rocket station. Any other settlements work fine. Uninstall and I can go to those areas fine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I remember someone posting a big explanation that Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Abernathy Farm form a death triangle that, if running with script-heavy settlement mods and all three settlements active, will basically flip a coin on whether it crashes while you're there.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

toasterwarrior posted:

I remember someone posting a big explanation that Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Abernathy Farm form a death triangle that, if running with script-heavy settlement mods and all three settlements active, will basically flip a coin on whether it crashes while you're there.

This is killing my playthrough; Sanctuary stopped recruiting at 10 settlers, everyone is just standing around at Red Rocket and Abernathy Farm and SS1 keeps reassigning my provisioners to SS plots so I have to regularly search around reassign them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I usually run a bare-bones settlement at sanctuary just to funnel extra settlers to new settlements.

Leal posted:

Aaand there goes my playthrough. Something in SS2 is causing my game to crash whenever I go near sanctuary or the rocket station. Any other settlements work fine. Uninstall and I can go to those areas fine.

Ruled out your video card yet?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I remember the recommendation was if you want to build a settlement in that area, you pick one to concentrate people and resources in and leave the rest as barebones as possible. IMO Abernathy is fine already, Red Rocket makes for a great gooncave, and Sanctuary, well, you're already obligated to build there anyway because of the quests so...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah my advice for any sim settlements is to basically not use any of the automated city building in any of those first 3 settlements. they're close enough in the same cell that if all three are firing off scripts at once itll basically crash the game. just one is probably fine though i usually like to handcraft sanctuary, red rocket is yeah basically a goon cave, then abernathy is just kind of a breadbasket

plots are fine, though, in my experience

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How does the SS2 caravan fast travel work?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i hit my progression stopping bug before being able to unlock it, so not sure. guessing you just go to a caraven plot and can select a settlement from a list

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

i hit my progression stopping bug before being able to unlock it, so not sure. guessing you just go to a caraven plot and can select a settlement from a list

That's how other mods that do it work, so probably right.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

drat Apocalypse has a combat module that specifically addresses this.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there mods that fix the issues with the vault DLC? The reviews are super negative and all mention that it's very flawed.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SS2 is quite good but still quite buggy. The voice acting is top notch, the quest design isn't bad (and in some places is quite good), but yeah I hate that it takes ages to get the more substantial plots.

That said, you can just cheat yourself the plots with the holotape. I don't know if that affects the quest line at all, but I can't see why it would?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The new update fixed my problems I was experiencing with Sim Settlements 2. Holy crap it is really good (buggy like others mentioned though.) It feels like an authentic DLC add-on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonkish posted:

The voice acting is top notch,

I am extremely tempted to shoot the cave kid in the face, however.

Which is probably not a criticism of her actor, she does a very, very good job of being an extremely annoying kid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The thing that gets me is the sound quality of the VA. The voice acting I've heard so far doesn't sound like something they recorded through a tin can in someone's closet.

Granted the last time I've played through a quest mod with VA was when New Vegas was still a couple of years old so this might not be as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are I think some variations in mic quality but yes it is well acted and well recorded for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Would there be a way to scrap settlements without having to physically be there for SS2? Maybe if I can scrap red rocket I can salvage this save.