Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I helped a Freedom/shaw technician at a building I work in 8~ months ago while he deployed a tower. He was saying pretty much all the freedom deployment now in BC was the newer LTE bands(Band 13? 66?), and that you really need a phone that supports those bands and also voLTE to get decent coverage. This deployment only started last year it sounded like.

It seems like that limits getting decent coverage to just people with phones made in the last few years? I can't imagine explaining any of that to customers, or what you do about people buying sim cards and putting them in older phones and getting mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CLAM DOWN posted:

They said Telus LTE which is a cellular plan. That's not home internet.

not sure why you’re being so hard about this, it’s obvious that they’re offering them as a substitution for a primary wired internet connection

hot date tonight! posted:

I helped a Freedom/shaw technician at a building I work in 8~ months ago while he deployed a tower. He was saying pretty much all the freedom deployment now in BC was the newer LTE bands(Band 13? 66?), and that you really need a phone that supports those bands and also voLTE to get decent coverage. This deployment only started last year it sounded like.

It seems like that limits getting decent coverage to just people with phones made in the last few years? I can't imagine explaining any of that to customers, or what you do about people buying sim cards and putting them in older phones and getting mad.

yeah none of these network upgrades happened at all really until after shaw acquired them. the last time i was on their network i had full bars and data was dog loving slow. i think most people won’t notice unless they’re really online because the deal and numbers and marketing is good.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 27, 2020

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Freedom: incredibly lovely coverage, speed, and reliability that was acquired by Shaw, and still has incredibly lovely coverage.
Public Mobile: a Telus acquisition that was nerfed into the stone age of 3G for accidentally offering a (pre-paid, no less) LTE deal that was literally too good to refuse, and wording it in such a way as to be unable to pull the usual telco bullshit to get out of it. Tech support consists of: "lol do it urself m8"

Four years later, and you still can't get a prepaid plan with the amount of data that was offered for that price in Ontario.

That public mobile plan is why I still haven't swapped/upgraded plans. It's bananas and they literally have no way to make me pay more (they've tried and it fell apart).

Luckily covid has really limited my mobile data use

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think it was this thread where someone was a call centre worker for WIND and they had a script for when people complained that they had no service indoors.

"Why would you expect wind indoors?"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

That public mobile plan is why I still haven't swapped/upgraded plans. It's bananas and they literally have no way to make me pay more (they've tried and it fell apart).

Luckily covid has really limited my mobile data use

plus it gets cheaper over time. and i don’t think old accounts have lte capped to 3g speeds.

i’m currently down to $35/mo for my 12gb/3 months plan. i’ve only used ~3.5gb this cycle with about a week left, and still have 1.5 gb of unexpiring extra data buckets to use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

They said Telus LTE which is a cellular plan. That's not home internet.

It's rural LTE home internet.

Right here: https://www.telus.com/en/qc/internet/smart-hub

Telus phone plans don't care what your postal code is, just your province.

I think the point they were making is just to show the disparity in what they charge for the exact same signal.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mediaphage posted:

plus it gets cheaper over time. and i don’t think old accounts have lte capped to 3g speeds.

i’m currently down to $35/mo for my 12gb/3 months plan. i’ve only used ~3.5gb this cycle with about a week left, and still have 1.5 gb of unexpiring extra data buckets to use.

Yep, old plans are still LTE. Even looking within other public mobile plans, your looking at spending more money for less of a plan.

They tried to do a "buyout" ages ago a f it was something like $50 a month for 5gb of 3g speeds without the legalese to just up the price in 6 months

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What are the prepaid options in Toronto?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

not sure why you’re being so hard about this, it’s obvious that they’re offering them as a substitution for a primary wired internet connection

Lol interpreting a post in a different way than you isn't "being hard about this", you need to chill out when people have different opinions on things. Thanks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol interpreting a post in a different way than you isn't "being hard about this", you need to chill out when people have different opinions on things. Thanks.

it’s not an opinion; you’re just flat out wrong and despite being corrected you’re issuing statements as fact on the issue.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

might get better Espinosa in the toronna specific thread but isn’t pm still the darling despite the nerfing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

it’s not an opinion; you’re just flat out wrong and despite being corrected you’re issuing statements as fact on the issue.

The original post said Telus LTE, which is cellular, and didn't have any links. It said nothing about home internet at the time. You need to stop, chill out, and drop this, right now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The original post said Telus LTE, which is cellular, and didn't have any links. It said nothing about home internet at the time. You need to stop, chill out, and drop this, right now.

okay, i don't think it's appropriate to threaten posters for correcting a mod, but you do you, man.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Do you need LTE speed or not?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chris Knight posted:

Do you need LTE speed or not?

It's not for me. It would be nice to have, but I'd love to look at all available options LTE or not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The best deals for prepay are Koodo's current "promotional!" ones:

$45 - 4.5gb (5 with automatic top-up)
$65 - 6.5gb (7 etc. etc.)

No idea if the Promotion part is simply that they're being offered at all, or if the cost will be jacked up after a limited time.

Their $40 plan is only 1gb (1.5)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Chiming in that it was clear you knew nothing about how rural internet works but stated asserting things in absolute terms and then Turned into a massive priss about it. You are the. One that needs to calm down and recognize when your were taught something and be thankful for learning beyond your prior ignorance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The original poster's phrasing very much made them sound like cell plans and I didn't post the link until like the 3rd reply. It's not that big a deal guys.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

The original poster's phrasing very much made them sound like cell plans and I didn't post the link until like the 3rd reply. It's not that big a deal guys.
That’s a good point but have you considered that this is the internet?

CaptainCanuck
Feb 19, 2010

less than three posted:

To add another page to the countless pile that wireless data is artifically restricted for nothing but profit, TELUS is now offering the following LTE data plans for rural customers:

100GB $60/mo
500GB $75/mo
1TB $110/mo

If you enter an urban address, the offer is not available to you, gently caress you pay $75 for 20gb.

This has been happening for almost 2 years now. In areas where they allow this, it has caused the cell network to grind to a halt. You might get 1Mb/s in peak times, if you're lucky, on either the hub or your cell phone paying for the same data. They oversold this a ton to very weak connections out in the middle of nowhere and caused the network to just bomb hard.

CaptainCanuck
Feb 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What he's trying to say but just in an angry manner, is that it's the same data. As mentioned, in towns with any real population >5000 this hub has destroyed the cell network. Your cell phone that you pay out the nose for LTE data crawls or doesn't work. There is no reason that Telus should be offering this, or have different pricing tiers if this was their position. At least in these rural areas your cell phone should be $20 a month if that for 50gb of data. Telus is just loving you over more and it's important that people know that. Their network is not suitable for rural broadband, once it hits a certain number of customers it's destroyed, and good luck clawing back those hubs from people, Telus has been trying.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Telus any Canadian telecom being evil greedy poo poo? Quelle surprise :smith:

CaptainCanuck
Feb 19, 2010
I agree, but man is just expressing himself. I agree with him

mediaphage posted:

they’re offering those deals in rural areas because it’s the only way to get moderately ok broadband as your primary house internet

i’d buy it as a gov incentive except since when do telcos actually do anything for the money they get

This wasn't a gov incentive at all. Telus just figured they could collect more revenue from rural users without changing anything on the network. They were right, they could, but they ended up shooting themselves in the foot because a bunch of people 20km away from a tower in a forest of trees have them now, and their signals are dogshit, so they all hop on to watch Netflix and zoom and whatever and then the network crashes hard.

Nobody would see this living in a populated centre like the lower mainland, but the rest of BC has been severely hosed by these hubs, with no relief in sight without more spectrum being allocated, more equipment being installed, and kicking the lovely connections off the network which is almost impossible now.

They learned their lesson about a year into this experiment, and now require a specific gps coordinate before they sell it to you. They've also started locking down to your home tower because people were taking them on road trips and to the cabin and other poo poo which would obviously be too good of a perk.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm on a plan with Eastlink where they separate out the plan ($50/month) and the subsidized phone ($25/month). I have 5 months left on my phone "tab", and I'm also getting $15/month discount on the phone's cost. Which means that if I paid off the Tab now, it would cost me $15x5=$75 more than to just continue paying it month-to-month like I am now.

My partners at work have decided to get me a new unlocked iPhone from Apple for my birthday, which is great, but I have a couple questions:

1. When my new phone comes, can I just swap the SIM from the old phone to the new one and Eastlink will be none the wiser?
2. Can I sell my old phone, provided it's unlocked, and continue paying down the tab on my bill and not having to immediately pay it (and incur an extra $75 in cost)? Or if I switch to a new phone, will Eastlink want me to pony up the balance of the tab immediately?

I realize these are questions I need to ask Eastlink, but I assume all operators kind of handle this in a similar manner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those will both work. Unless the phone is very old (at which point it probably isn't worth selling) it should be unlocked. Since you're still paying for it though, it must be recent enough.

Rogers still thinks I have a Galaxy S4.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its always seemed to me whenever I used to swap out my SIM that if I looked at my account, it would recognize the new phone. This was back when I was smart and used to just buy second hand phones for cash all the time. Difficult to say what will happen if you sell the phone, I guess as long as you are paying on it though theres no reason it shouldn't work or anything.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Telus is matching the Rogers 20gb/$50 BYOD now. I'm very tempted to switch from Koodo to get that extra 4gb for 6 bucks a month cheaper.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just looked at their site and the cheapest there is $75, but we always get hosed on the east coast. Can we flex our anagram muscles and refer to Telus as eSlut from now on?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No. Sluts are good.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just switched. 20gb of loving data for 56 a month, all in. I've had home internet connections with lower data caps than that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Telus is matching the Rogers 20gb/$50 BYOD now. I'm very tempted to switch from Koodo to get that extra 4gb for 6 bucks a month cheaper.

What province is this? Not seeing it in Manitoba

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's an EPP thing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's an EPP thing.

Yes, my bad for not mentioning it. They're matching the rogers EPP deal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ah, ok, found the info

quote:

For those in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec, Telus EPP is offering a $52/15GB plan.

Going to try and find someone to set me up with Telus EPP in Manitoba to switch from my $45/5gb koodo plan

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

w00tmonger posted:

Yep, old plans are still LTE. Even looking within other public mobile plans, your looking at spending more money for less of a plan.

They tried to do a "buyout" ages ago a f it was something like $50 a month for 5gb of 3g speeds without the legalese to just up the price in 6 months

It seems Telus/PM has given up on trying to boot people off the plan. I've wondered how I'll eventually leave it and I guess it would be one day far in the future when either 5G is so compelling that it's worth paying for or when PM shuts down their LTE service. Even if I moved abroad for a time I'd almost certainly keep paying for it just to retain the deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I briefly drove through a 5G zone and was able to run a quick speed test. 120-130mbs while it went down to 50-60 for LTE.

Below even the capacity of LTE of course but double’s not too bad.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MA-Horus posted:

Yes, my bad for not mentioning it. They're matching the rogers EPP deal.
How'd you get the EPP plan? I'm interested in their Peace of Mind Connect for $75/month but I don't think my company is eligible for EPP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

How'd you get the EPP plan? I'm interested in their Peace of Mind Connect for $75/month but I don't think my company is eligible for EPP.

For Rogers EPP all I had to do was validate with my company email address. It took 5 minutes. I'm assuming it's the same elsewhere.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

For Rogers EPP all I had to do was validate with my company email address. It took 5 minutes. I'm assuming it's the same elsewhere.
Ok thanks. I’ll have to ask as I haven’t seen my company listed on anyone’s EPP program.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Anyone else get one of these?

They claim it wasn't them per investigation [ie, this happened to a large batch of accounts], but I log into my account about once a year and it has a long as heck unique random password.

Koodo Email posted:

As part of our efforts to protect your privacy and security, we proactively monitor our systems for suspicious activity. We have learned that there have been recent attempts to login to your account using valid credentials (your username and password) that originated from a suspicious source. Our investigation has revealed that your credentials were not shared by Koodo with any unauthorized user. But don’t worry, we have locked your Koodo account to prevent any unauthorized access.

The security of your private information is our top priority. As it appears that an unauthorized individual has your valid login credentials, you will need to reset your password to regain access to your Koodo account (link below). We also recommend that you reset your password for all of your online accounts that use the same username and password, as using different passwords for each of your accounts can prevent bad actors from accessing multiple accounts if they gain access to just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm at the point where I assume any email that's account related, not my monthly bill, and not advertising something is a phishing attempt, and I only login via website or phone app.

Not to say it might not be legit, but I don't take that chance.