Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Dizamn :burger:

Thoht fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Olpainless posted:

I've not burged (or posted) in a while.

Figured it's time to correct that.

Fried chicken thighs, marinated in my own special blend carolina reaper hot sauce, with a herb seasoned flour dredge, topped with cheddar slices, lettuce, shallot, and a garlic, dill and pickle mayo, in brioche.

Working from home has it's upsides.

More like olshameless, that looks intense and amazing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just made chicken under a brick, and it might be the worst chicken I've had in my life. It's somehow still underdone despite going for even longer than the video suggests because even after 30 minutes it didn't look anywhere near as properly browned.

Something went horribly, horribly wrong, and I suspect it's one or two things:

1. My oven, either not being able to hold the right temperature, or not having the heating element on top (I have no idea where the heating element is, I think it's on the bottom somehow? that's where the fire is), and/or
2. The chicken, which exuded so much loving water that it basically steamed instead of roasted.

My money is on probably #2, but #1 is hard to discount. Would that recipe have worked for an oven that didn't have the heating element on the ceiling?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Pollyanna posted:

I just made chicken under a brick, and it might be the worst chicken I've had in my life. It's somehow still underdone despite going for even longer than the video suggests because even after 30 minutes it didn't look anywhere near as properly browned.

1. My oven, either not being able to hold the right temperature, or not having the heating element on top (I have no idea where the heating element is, I think it's on the bottom somehow? that's where the fire is), and/or
2. The chicken, which exuded so much loving water that it basically steamed instead of roasted.

My money is on probably #2, but #1 is hard to discount. Would that recipe have worked for an oven that didn't have the heating element on the ceiling?

Food Wishes is one of my go-to’s for techniques. I’ve rarely had an issue with Chef John. Is there a possibility the chicken was partially frozen before you started cooking?

That’s happened to me once or twice where I buy a whole bird and it feels soft and thawed, but when I reach inside to scoop out the giblets it’s definitely frozen in there.

....although you spatchcocked it, so maybe not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The chicken was some rando 4-pounder that was probably previously frozen, but a lot of that chicken water hosed off when I salted it and let it sit. The cast iron pan had easily at least a couple cups of water by the time

Also, I think I just realized the problem. Apparently this oven has a broiler drawer at the bottom, or something. That means the heating element is on the bottom of the oven instead of the top, like it is in the video. I actually had no idea that broiling things in this oven happened at the bottom :psyduck: So maybe I've been doing this wrong the whole fuckin' time?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess just flip your whole pan/bird/brick situation upside down.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Whats the point of a broiler on the bottom?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sterster posted:

Whats the point of a broiler on the bottom?

The drawer on the bottom is the broiler. I've had one like this, it blows chunks and makes zero sense to me. The drawer doesn't keep enough heat to use the broiler like you would in the oven itself, and the oven doesn't do anything good for browning because it only functions for holding heat well enough to make frozen chicken nuggets. lovely equipment is the bane of well intentioned cooks everywhere. So much so that with some of these cheap models I wonder if the people designing them have ever used an oven.

You could follow that recipe without the bricks, and that might give the skin side time to dry out and crisp up as best it'll do without a hot broiler. The oven may not be holding the temp you need either and I'd recommend getting an oven thermometer to check.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's been ages since I've done it, but can't you leave the brick in the oven for ages till it's heated through and then cook with the brick on top and the chicken on a low level next to the element?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

tarbrush posted:

It's been ages since I've done it, but can't you leave the brick in the oven for ages till it's heated through and then cook with the brick on top and the chicken on a low level next to the element?

That should work. That brick will hold a load of heat for a long time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My plating sucks as does my photography but who gives a drat:

Chicken marsala madeira with roast potatoes. Both recipes from Kenji.

The sauce is goddamn delicious, drat. I had a little bit of difficulty getting the creamy consistency to it that was written in the recipe, so I added a few little sprinkles of flour to get it to thicken up. Very hearty and savory and great. :chefkiss:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The crust on those potatoes is so beautiful!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Chicken sammich

hard would

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

you can tell their flooring from that photograph? :eyepop:

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

Shrimp and linguine tonight!

A very simple version of it, but delicious.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Tried Chinese Cooking Demystified's dan dan noodles - only I was lazy and used lao gan ma instead of chili oil. Don't care, it was delicious.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tater tot casserole

How we (4) felt after eating all of it:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

vonnegutt posted:

Tried Chinese Cooking Demystified's dan dan noodles - only I was lazy and used lao gan ma instead of chili oil. Don't care, it was delicious.

This looks really good. Anything is better with laoganma.

Thai yellow curry for lunch today. Nice, bright and lively.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Drone posted:

My plating sucks as does my photography but who gives a drat:

Chicken marsala madeira with roast potatoes. Both recipes from Kenji.

The sauce is goddamn delicious, drat. I had a little bit of difficulty getting the creamy consistency to it that was written in the recipe, so I added a few little sprinkles of flour to get it to thicken up. Very hearty and savory and great. :chefkiss:

I would make this except Kenji seems to assume everyone has access to unflavored gelatin regardless of what podunk-rear end grocery store they go to, and I can't find any at mine at all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I would make this except Kenji seems to assume everyone has access to unflavored gelatin regardless of what podunk-rear end grocery store they go to, and I can't find any at mine at all.

It tastes p good with lime jello

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Pollyanna posted:

I love Chef John but I think this version is objectively better. And being boneless will definitely make it easier to get cooked through.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Tom kha gai w/ chicken

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pollyanna posted:

Just ignore the gelatin and thicken the sauce with flour at the end. I do practically the exact same sauce in my boeuf bourguignon and it's just fine without the gelatin. Just do it very very gradually until you get the consistency you want.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab.

Eddie? Is that you?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made Kenji Lopez-Alt's vegetarian tamale pie. The photo is bad but the pie was really good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy, a baked potato with some fixings, and fried pickled okra along with some other stuff from that jar like garlic.

Hit like a ton of bricks and was exactly what I needed when I was feeling a little homesick. :texas:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 26, 2020

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gnocchi w/ homemade garden pesto

Roasted leeks w/ sage butter

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Smoked some ribs this weekend!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yo this ribs are good-lookin' and all but I have to know more about that mac & cheese.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Drone posted:

Yo this ribs are good-lookin' and all but I have to know more about that mac & cheese.

Yeah, that's a good looking mac.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Drone posted:

I could lie and say after 7 hours of running back and forth to my backyard fussing with vents and charcoal I also whipped up some killer gluten-free, lactose-free mac and cheese... but I didn’t. That gluten-free, lactose-free mac and cheese is from the box :thumbsup:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

lmao

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Discussion > Goons With Spoons > The dinner thread - that gluten-free, lactose-free mac and cheese is from the box :thumbsup:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A study in brown

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I appreciate that your breakfast thread post follows the same color scheme and general plating :golfclap:

Here's a couple of recents, was too hungry to fix lighting:

Romesco on roasted veggies

Mushroom orzo risotto

BLT on homemade bread

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
oh drat i want to do what brian boitano do

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

was too hungry to fix lighting:

We’re entering that time of year where natural sunlight at dinner time is a rarity :(

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On Sunday it'll get an hour better, though yeah that won't last long, especially with eating after baby bedtime.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

On that note, my kitchen light-lit first attempt at Drunken Noodles last night came out great!

I used Jet Tila’s recipe and I’m really happy with it. My regular grocery store only had thin rice noodles in stock, so I drove a little further to the next grocery store and it was the same deal. Then it became a perfect excuse to drive a little further to the Asian market. More noodles than I can count! Bought some candied crabs, melon rice cakes, and sesame sweets too. Almost walked out with a durian fruit. Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Phoned it in tonight, literally.