Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Say I've never actually held a physical copy of Shonen Jump - what happens to the actual magazine when Oda has a break week? Like, is it shorter by some pages or do they fill the gap with other content/ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

the fact that oda gets breaks whenever he wants while every other manga creator has to loving kill themselves meeting deadlines will never not be the most disgusting thing to me

Oda worked loving crazy hours, too, even during Marinford, the most popular arc. He didn't start taking regular-ish breaks until 2012 (Punk Hazard) when he took off 8 issues. Since his hospitalization in 2013 he's taken off 9 issues a year.

It isn't just the editors being awful (they are), part of Japanese culture is to devote yourself to your work, and for most of his career Oda has gone even further past that norm.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oda's also probably working on the manga even on break weeks, the breaks just give a bigger backlog in case of a week where Oda can't work.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He can still make it if we operate by Lunar Calendar rules.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also from memory it's specifically Oda's doctor who has ordered the breaks, and Oda has the clout to make it happen.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Super Rad posted:

Say I've never actually held a physical copy of Shonen Jump - what happens to the actual magazine when Oda has a break week? Like, is it shorter by some pages or do they fill the gap with other content/ads?

It's a brick, even if it's twenty pages shorter it's not noticable.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Julias posted:

Unprecedented, except for the majority of One Piece's running history :v:

(this isn't actually an argument for oda to work himself to death, just pointing out that it's funny to ignore that for like 3/4ths of its run, oda didn't take regular weekly breaks.)

Whoops. You're right. I'm just so familiar with the 4 weeks on 1 week off schedule Oda has been working on. I want to say it began around the first time he got hospitalized. Around Dressrosa?

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Funky Valentine posted:

Oda's also probably working on the manga even on break weeks, the breaks just give a bigger backlog in case of a week where Oda can't work.

yeah i imagine he uses the time to reflect and work on story stuff, just not actually create drafts and do linework

iirc he also has let his assistants do backgrounds instead of practically nothing? in the past couple of arcs. one thing i've noticed is there is a much better sense of Place in pretty much every arc up until whole cake island and after that the settings feel disorienting in some respects. it wasnt until this latest chapter that i understood the geography of onigashima. that said, i think the backgrounds now have about the right amount of detail. his panels are a lot less needlessly busy which is good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is Oda still using physical medium or has he gone digital? In the most recent story there was a castle in the background that doesn't look like it could have been done with even the smallest of G Pens but could have been easily achieved using Clip Studio Paint. OTOH it could have also been a drawing that was copied down in size and pasted to a board.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Julias posted:

I really think the magazine as a whole would benefit by switching to a rotating biweekly lineup, where you have half the comics one week and the other half the next week, and alternate every other week. It would allow for more authors to get published in jump while giving the mangaka much healthier working and living conditions. The downside to that would be that each individual series would make less progress each year, which would mean less volumes coming out each year, and less content for any theoretical anime adaptations. There's also the argument that splitting up the lineup like that might make sales of one half of the lineup feel lopsided compared to the others, and that would reduce readership of those volumes.
There's also a financial issue on Jump's side. If authors are only publishing biweekly they'd need to be paid twice as much as they currently do, otherwise new authors who can't rely on tankobon sales are dealing with an effectively halved salary. Then there's the issue of how many new series would need to be added; if they just split the existing lineup they're halving their profits; if they decide to double the number of series, then the cost to maintain the talent is at least 4x higher if you factor in an adjusted salary. Jump might also need to hire additional staff to handle the increased volume as well. In either case the financial viability of the idea isn't clear.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
(Not trying to interrupt)
God I'm so late, 992 was incredible!
I like the Scabbards *well enough*, but I'm a villain fan, and One Piece has some fantastic villains. So I say: Go Kaido! Wreck those scrubs! :toot:

The Yonkou are a big deal for me, they represent the mountains Luffy and his crew have to overcome, so this is the type of stuff I'm into. Danger, a feeling of threat, one of the Scabbards' saying "This mission is suicide!" back in 959 being lived up to. This is the Turning Point, and gently caress is it gonna be brutal. Wano is so metal.

Demonicpoodle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 29, 2020

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is Oda still using physical medium or has he gone digital? In the most recent story there was a castle in the background that doesn't look like it could have been done with even the smallest of G Pens but could have been easily achieved using Clip Studio Paint. OTOH it could have also been a drawing that was copied down in size and pasted to a board.

it's possible one of the assistant artists drew it in digitally, since I think they do more of the background stuff

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Fantranslation came out early. How spooky!

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-994/

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Me 20 minutes ago: there are way too many named characters in this fight please stop oda

Me now: introduce a new smile user every chapter please

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I love one piece

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

YAMATOWNS

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Holy poo poo, those headliner designs, introduced and cast aside in one page. Oda is completely loving insane.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Everything about this chapter was top tier

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Haha Eat poo poo Apoo

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hell yeah, what a great chapter.

The return of human form Kaido AND little maps of where characters currently are? This arc is really heating up.

Yamato fuckin' rules, I wonder if you can spot him in the crowd in the flashbacks?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

The return of human form Kaido AND little maps of where characters currently are? This arc is really heating up.

Yamato fuckin' rules, I wonder if you can spot him in the crowd in the flashbacks?

I reread the Oden Execution chapters and sadly you can't see him so far as I can tell. A shame.

The Anime's already passed the execution too, right? If it had more leadtime, putting little yamato into some crowd shots would have been a great touch

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rannum posted:

I reread the Oden Execution chapters and sadly you can't see him so far as I can tell. A shame.

The Anime's already passed the execution too, right? If it had more leadtime, putting little yamato into some crowd shots would have been a great touch

The anime just had Queen capture Big Mom to take her to Onigashima like a week ago

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julias posted:

Anime only just had Queen capture Big Mom to take her to Onigashima like a week ago

Oh! Well c'mon anime, do the cool thing...!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Messed up that Hamlet got beaten so easily... he had the power of the giraffe!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

You can so obviously tell that Oda has a blast drawing all the hosed up headliner designs. They're all all so insane that it perfectly compliments Oda's habit of introducing a billion jobbers at any given time.

Glad to see some progress on the Yamato front. He's quickly become one of my favourite aspects of this raid and I just want to see what happens more and more.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hamlet: My SMILE lets me grow a giraffe's body out of my rear end.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Beast Pirates are easily the best villain crew

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Okay, so do we have a panel where the young masked Yamato appeared at the execution?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Super Rad posted:

Misread.

When they know he's going to take a break they will do one-shots by other creators. They'll typically always have about the same number of pages.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Great chapter. Can't believe Queen would just ice his dance troupe like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

guess what

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Great chapter. Can't believe Queen would just ice his dance troupe like that.

its honestly pretty crazy to me how much of a war crime man Queen is relative to his power level. like you expect someone like Ceaser to be all about that life cause he’s a fuckin scrub for a new world guy but you’d just expect Queen to solve all his problems by rampaging. I guess he is a sadist though...

Xarbala posted:

guess what

holy poo poo I missed the fact that he has a chicken for an rear end in the first read through. this arc really does keep on giving with the increasingly hosed up smile guys.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Last Celebration posted:

its honestly pretty crazy to me how much of a war crime man Queen is relative to his power level. like you expect someone like Ceaser to be all about that life cause he’s a fuckin scrub for a new world guy but you’d just expect Queen to solve all his problems by rampaging. I guess he is a sadist though...

holy poo poo I missed the fact that he has a chicken for an rear end in the first read through. this arc really does keep on giving with the increasingly hosed up smile guys.

look at the legs, he is the rear end

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

look at the legs, he is the rear end

you can tell that shits gotten real since Luffy hasn’t asked how the gently caress that guy poops

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Begemot posted:

I don’t remember ever seeing masked Yamato, but back before Yamato introduced himself to Luffy and people were speculating, some people matched the pattern on his outfit to a robe being worn by someone quite tall in the audience at Oden’s execution. People guessed it was a youthful Yamato, and was tall due to being Kaido’s kid.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
I'm mainly here for that Kaido double spread, that poo poo was just legendary.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they CAUTERIZE HER SHOULDER with a FLAMING SWORD

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

oddium posted:

they CAUTERIZE HER SHOULDER with a FLAMING SWORD

And five seconds later she's back on her feet like it's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Holy poo poo, this chapter was so, so good.

Kiku owns, Yamato owns, and Sakaki and Apoo are about to get owned so hard.

Also, Kaido's swung from disappointed that the samurai couldn't cut him deep enough to gleeful that they are still going to give their everything to try to kill him. Just look at the happy grin.