Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bet all you dorks with Q2s still can’t flip people off in poker, it’s pathetic, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ulio posted:

Does anyone here have Valve Index? Any experience with that? I currently have Quest 2, like it but it seems people suggest Index for the bigger budget games?

Also is it possible to play the playstation VR exclusives with PlaystationVR and any word if PSvr is compatible with ps5?

I love everything about my Index but I know Shine thinks the controllers are garbo compared to Oculus. I don't have a Rift.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ulio posted:

Also is it possible to play the playstation VR exclusives with PlaystationVR and any word if PSvr is compatible with ps5?

I'm not sure I understand your first question? Yes, you can play PlayStationVR exclusives with PlayStationVR and a PlayStation. You can't play them on anything else.

PSVR will work on PS5 for PS4 games as long as you have the PS4 camera; the PS5 camera won't work. I'm not sure they've specifically confirmed that PSVR will work for PS5 VR games as well, but we are expecting some PS5 VR games and they haven't announced a new headset so presumably it will.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tip posted:

I have both the Index and the Quest 2, and the Quest 2 screens and lenses are so much better. I haven't played with Link yet, but the native games are very impressive.

The Index does have a larger FOV but it never really wowed me, it's mostly an increase vertically and I would have really preferred a wider FOV instead. I also hate the lenses because you have to get your eyes positioned just right and it has some pretty heinous god rays.

Index does have very nice audio, but it's also not that hard to mount some better headphones to your quest 2 if you don't like the sound pipes. I've actually been surprised by how good the sound is on Quest 2, but index is clearly the winner on that front.

And I agree about the gimmick controllers. One of the most important actions in VR is grabbing things so having that work reliably is critical to forgetting about the controller in your hand. Making it rely on touch sensors makes it unreliable and annoying.

Oh, and Index does have the high refresh rates, but for me I almost always kept it at 90 because I didn't have the extra performance to actually use the 120 in most titles.

That's the first time I've heard anyone say the knuckles are a gimmick :wtc: I've never had an issue with Alyx, although Zero Caliber does seem to have issues with knowing when I've 'let go' of the front of a gun. I don't know if this is just lack of polish or if the hardware is limited and Valve knew how to get around it.

Is there a better solution on the market for full hand / finger tracking? I'm not being snarky I genuinely don't know!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Bet all you dorks with Q2s still can’t flip people off in poker, it’s pathetic, really

The quest 2 has hand tracking in the menus but I don’t think it’s implemented in any games.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Romes128 posted:

The quest 2 has hand tracking in the menus but I don’t think it’s implemented in any games.

Theres a few games that do, simple stuff really. Some wizard game, that stolen pets thing, etc, but what really needs it are the things like bigscreen and such where you're not really playing a 'game' and just need to access some menus and socialize with other people.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Romes128 posted:

Hand tracking would be amazing in Poker Stars.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It is :smugbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ulio posted:

I am assuming you mean can PSVR Exclusives be played without PSVR? No you can't.

Yes PSVR is compatible with PS5 with a small adapter that Sony is giving out for free to PSVR owners. Sony hasn't been clear on if the PS5 will enhance existing PSVR titles yet. That's probably on a developer by developer basis. I'm curious if the PS5 will help PSVR games look less muddy.

star eater posted:

psvr uses its own cobbled together tracking system and isn’t compatible with PCvr or vice versa unfortunately

my buddy has the index and it’s supposed to be wicked. 144hz refresh and the controllers are sick. unfortunately though you have to deal with external base stations for tracking

PSVR actually is compatible with PCVR with some workarounds, but there is no reason to bother with it if they already own a quest 2.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

If you're talking about Index knuckles then meh, I didn't like them at all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I only know the Index/knuckles and the only problem I have with them is that not all games are mapped properly and it's loving annoying trying to figure out how to do poo poo on my own.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe mess around with the angle of the straps? Trying the different detents at the top made a world of difference for me and my small tremendously presidential hands.

I have pretty big hands so I keep them on the innermost setting, did you notice any change in finger tracking responsiveness when you switched?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Romes128 posted:

I really feel like the best of both worlds will be when they can use the hand tracking and the controllers at the same time. I think Carmack mentioned something along those lines during his last technical talk, and it's something I've been thinking about ever since they first announced the hand tracking.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ott_ posted:

I have pretty big hands so I keep them on the innermost setting, did you notice any change in finger tracking responsiveness when you switched?

Just that it helped me get my hands positioned better and more comfortably, and kept the center post in the right spot, which also wasn’t what I originally imagined it to be. More diagonal across my hand than I guessed it should be at first. But that may be a factor of hand size, as well. I may be compensating without realizing it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

I really feel like the best of both worlds will be when they can use the hand tracking and the controllers at the same time. I think Carmack mentioned something along those lines during his last technical talk, and it's something I've been thinking about ever since they first announced the hand tracking.

This is half-remembered, but wasn't there an issue of there only being enough overhead to track hands OR controllers, not both? I know it was for the original Quest, so that might well be solved with the Q2.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I just bought a Quest 2 and I'm finding it a nice improvement over the Rift S. I had bought the Rift over the OG Quest against the OP's advice because I wanted SteamVR stuff and wasn't convinced that the Quest's PCVR options would be good enough. Now I've been playing around with the Q2 and oh my god, SteamVR over wireless Virtual Desktop is a complete revelation. Was streaming/Link this good on the first Quest, or has it been upgraded for the new one? I kept seeing stuff about it being buggy and having noticable compression artefacts but I'm not really experiencing any of that. Was I an idiot for buying a Rift all along?

The only real issue I'm having is with the passthrough. I've turned the Guardian off completely 'cause I have a small, irregular space and the in-headset border is a constant intrusion. Unfortunately, this seems to disable all options for using the passthrough view, which I sometimes do to e.g. put my controllers down somewhere safe. Double-tapping the headset doesn't work, I don't see the option in my Quest menu any more. Is there a way to turn Guardian off and leave passthrough on?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Faux Mulder posted:

I just bought a Quest 2 and I'm finding it a nice improvement over the Rift S. I had bought the Rift over the OG Quest against the OP's advice because I wanted SteamVR stuff and wasn't convinced that the Quest's PCVR options would be good enough. Now I've been playing around with the Q2 and oh my god, SteamVR over wireless Virtual Desktop is a complete revelation. Was streaming/Link this good on the first Quest, or has it been upgraded for the new one? I kept seeing stuff about it being buggy and having noticable compression artefacts but I'm not really experiencing any of that. Was I an idiot for buying a Rift all along?

The only real issue I'm having is with the passthrough. I've turned the Guardian off completely 'cause I have a small, irregular space and the in-headset border is a constant intrusion. Unfortunately, this seems to disable all options for using the passthrough view, which I sometimes do to e.g. put my controllers down somewhere safe. Double-tapping the headset doesn't work, I don't see the option in my Quest menu any more. Is there a way to turn Guardian off and leave passthrough on?

If you keep the guardian on but just draw the walls really massive, like way past the bounds of your actual space, then the double tapping will work and you'll never see the actual guardian. There might be some settings you can use to make it less pronounced as well, but I just do that first thing and it works for me.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Lemming posted:

If you keep the guardian on but just draw the walls really massive, like way past the bounds of your actual space, then the double tapping will work and you'll never see the actual guardian. There might be some settings you can use to make it less pronounced as well, but I just do that first thing and it works for me.

Oh, great idea, don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is half-remembered, but wasn't there an issue of there only being enough overhead to track hands OR controllers, not both? I know it was for the original Quest, so that might well be solved with the Q2.

From what I remember the main issue was the cameras: they have to adjust the exposure differently for tracking your hands and it makes tracking the lights on the controller harder or not possible.

I remember him mentioning some workaround for that, but I can't remember if it was a software or hardware adjustment. It might have been while he was bemoaning the fact that they didn't upgrade the tracking cameras.

He mentioned experimenting with full color, high resolution cameras, and said that it made passthrough amazing but that the computer vision people preferred low res, black and white, with a global shutter. The rolling shutter of inexpensive and lightweight higher resolution color cameras make the 6DOF headset tracking harder to implement.

Carmack's opinion was that they're some of the best computer vision people in the world so they should just make it work.

The passthrough on quest 2 is pretty great already, but I would love to see what it looks like in full resolution and full color.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

From what I remember the main issue was the cameras: they have to adjust the exposure differently for tracking your hands and it makes tracking the lights on the controller harder or not possible.

I remember him mentioning some workaround for that, but I can't remember if it was a software or hardware adjustment. It might have been while he was bemoaning the fact that they didn't upgrade the tracking cameras.

He mentioned experimenting with full color, high resolution cameras, and said that it made passthrough amazing but that the computer vision people preferred low res, black and white, with a global shutter. The rolling shutter of inexpensive and lightweight higher resolution color cameras make the 6DOF headset tracking harder to implement.

Carmack's opinion was that they're some of the best computer vision people in the world so they should just make it work.

The passthrough on quest 2 is pretty great already, but I would love to see what it looks like in full resolution and full color.

I'm surprised Facebook didn't push for full colour high-resolution cameras just for looking into people's homes :v:.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I find the trick to the elite strap and getting comfort is to tighten the top strap so that you feel pressure on the top of your head, which is weight being taken off your face. This allows you to loosen the back wheel a little, while keeping the headset secure. I only tighten it with action oriented games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've had intermittent stutter problems with VD on my Quest (1) most likely since my home network is ubiquiti mesh wifi. Finally got around to getting a dedicated router, this one. Works perfectly and has support for AX so should work well with Quest 2 as well. Would recommend.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Need some help. What do I have to do to get Alien Isolation running on a Quest 2?

I have Virtual Desktop and SteamVR. I downloaded the MotherVR file and added it to the folder. I added -steamvr to the launch options. When I launch it still launches in theatre mode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Still bugs to sort out, and a ton of content to add and polish, but the core features on project light gun VR are mostly in place.

I'm calling it: Bullet Points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk262s8s978

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

It's also apparently fragile as all hell.

So far all evidence is pointing towards a bad batch. Seems that only a small fraction of the straps are breaking and apparently it doesn't need any excessive force or other abuse.

Here's some guy trying to break one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3MKHmVXnDg

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Some folks have been trying out Shadow with Virtual Desktop for PCVR cloud gaming. Apparently it works just fine given that you live close enough to one of their data centers.

Shadow has released an alpha version of their Quest client that streamlines the setup.

$15 per month is not too bad if you don't own a gaming PC but still want to play some PCVR games every now and then.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Faux Mulder posted:

The double tap has to be enabled under Experimental Features in the settings menu

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So my index suddenly arrived (2 days after ordering) and I spent the entire first day playing Until You Fall. VR is really fun! UYF and beat saber have been the winners for me so far.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The new Star Wars Squadrons patch fixed the framerate issue. It runs buttery smooth for me in VR now! :swoon:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure I understand your first question? Yes, you can play PlayStationVR exclusives with PlayStationVR and a PlayStation. You can't play them on anything else.

PSVR will work on PS5 for PS4 games as long as you have the PS4 camera; the PS5 camera won't work. I'm not sure they've specifically confirmed that PSVR will work for PS5 VR games as well, but we are expecting some PS5 VR games and they haven't announced a new headset so presumably it will.

Nothing's been announced yet, but a Japanese patent discovered last month shows that Sony is looking at Index-style controllers and probably inside-out tracking for PSVR2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was also some job postings a while back suggesting that is possible that it's not being developed under the Playstation brand. My dream would be Sony releasing a PCVR HMD that also serves double time as PSVR 2.

That said Sony has patented like like 2 VR controller variations before and nothing came of them.

Shine posted:

The new Star Wars Squadrons patch fixed the framerate issue. It runs buttery smooth for me in VR now! :swoon:

Oh hell yeah. After wrapping up Alien:Isolation I was debating what to play next, but I guess I'll just pop squadrons back on.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
The OP mentions it, but just to check, is Blade and Sorcery still the main go-to for just tooling around with a sword and magic, or has Until You Fall basically eclipsed it?

The main points I remember from the last few pages are
  • gently caress Skyrim
And that's mostly it for swords.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 29, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Synonymous posted:

The OP mentions it, but just to check, is Blade and Sorcery still the main go-to for just tooling around with a sword and magic?
The main points I remember from the last few pages are
  • gently caress Skyrim
And that's mostly it for swords.

B&S is good for stylistically "realistic" combat, but it's purely a sandbox. Until You Fall is well-regarded (I've not played it), and its style is more "gamey."

Since you can refund within two hours, no harm in trying either.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
What sort of success will I achieve by just trying to use my current router for VD to my quest 2 (a router with a 5g network speed of around 700mbps) as opposed to forking ou the cash for a nice shiny wifi 6 router wired directly to my pc? I figure speed isn't too important after a certain point because I'd be bottlenecked by the 1gbps ethernet, but apparently wifi 6 is much better at low latency?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 29, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

nightwisher posted:

What sort of success will I achieve by just trying to use my current router for VD to my quest 2 (a router with a 5g network speed of around 700mbps) as opposed to forking ou the cash for a nice shiny wifi 6 router wired directly to my pc? I figure speed isn't too important after a certain point because I'd be bottlenecked by the 1gbps ethernet, but apparently wifi 6 is much better at low latency?

Just try it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Finished Vertigo Remastered tonight. Liked it a lot more than Boneworks and, honestly, I think it's right up there with Alyx. The weakest section is probably the section up through the first boss and then it's pretty much a roller coaster to the end. I haven't been this impressed with an indie game probably ever. With the DLC, there were something like 8 or 9 weapons (3 less without DLC) and they all felt really good and useful at different points. Sleeper hit of the year, for sure, and I can't wait to get down and dirty with the VR editor. Seems to have a decent learning curve (what editor doesn't?) but once I got down the basic controls, I was plopping poo poo around and slappin textures on willy nilly. Some of the workshop maps have been surprisingly decent despite only having been out a couple of weeks.

Looks like the complete edition is $26.41 for another 33 hours or so on Steam, if anyone else is interested in checking out a 5-7 hr (took me 7, but I looked for collectibles) single-player, store brand, Half-Life knockoff with replayability dependent on your lust for achievements and/or workshop maps. Base game is $21.24, but the DLC sprinkles a few more weapons in the campaign and adds the editor/workshop support, so I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

That's the first time I've heard anyone say the knuckles are a gimmick :wtc:

In how many games they fully support the finger tracking, and in how many it can be said it makes a difference? Because if the answer is 4-5, then yeah, gimmick is a appropriate term.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Camera exposure/settings needed to track hands is different than controllers, it's why they can't track both. edit: oh it was already replied. Oh well.

I didn't like the hand tracking on Quest. Glitchy as hell, laggy, less tracking fov, and not feeling anything in your hand makes for poor feedback.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 29, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm hearing good things of this strap for Quest 2, despite the 'looks', it's based on welder masks. And it's cheap:
https://mvhstudios.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/pro-headmount-for-the-oculus-quest-2?variant=33165345325119

It's sold out at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm hearing good things of this strap for Quest 2, despite the 'looks', it's based on welder masks. And it's cheap:
https://mvhstudios.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/pro-headmount-for-the-oculus-quest-2?variant=33165345325119

It's sold out at the moment.

Did you post this just to torture me