Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The real question is how long til some poo poo writer has Joker kill that family? It'll happen before 2022 I'm willing to bet.

It will be in a mediocre event, maybe the Joker steals all of Batman's information and to show it, he goes and does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

It isnt just a jealous rage. He sees the waynes as a symbol of the system and society that has kept him poor and broken. He lashed out at an injust system.

Then he realized they were benevolent rich people.

It's stupid all the way down, really.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

"take a chill pill,,, Mr Wayne"

Joe CHILL
IS

T H E C H I L L E R

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Based on the art and the original publication dates, I'm convinced the Three Jokers was originally meant to be pre-crisis, post-crisis, and new52, and that would be the thing to make Batman realize that somebody has been loving the universe, leading to Doomsday Clock.

But then something went sideways, Joker was being used in Metal, and Doomsday Clock was ramping up and contracts had to be fulfilled, and they had to come up with something else to resolve the Three Jokers. I don't know, I haven't looked into it, but it's certainly what makes the most sense to me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So that vat of chemicals creating the Joker wasn't a fluke? You can just drop anyone in there and they'll become some semblance of the Joker? What is this vat of chemicals even supposed to normally do and why has nobody looked into shutting this poo poo down?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Speaking of vats of chemicals and toxicity, which one of these was Harley with?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vince MechMahon posted:

Which of the three Jokers is the one that thanked the guy for helping him escape by offering to let him gently caress his rear end? Cause unless that comes up, no, it's not as bad as Smith.

I think that was Bendis

I think the worst thing Smith did the Big Two superheroes was adding a rape backstory to Felicia Hardy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think that was Bendis

I think the worst thing Smith did the Big Two superheroes was adding a rape backstory to Felicia Hardy

What? That was definitely Smith in his lovely Batman series. Bendis has wrote very little Batman. He also gave Karen page aids, and made speedy a child prostitute.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

stratdax posted:

Based on the art and the original publication dates, I'm convinced the Three Jokers was originally meant to be pre-crisis, post-crisis, and new52, and that would be the thing to make Batman realize that somebody has been loving the universe, leading to Doomsday Clock.

But then something went sideways, Joker was being used in Metal, and Doomsday Clock was ramping up and contracts had to be fulfilled, and they had to come up with something else to resolve the Three Jokers. I don't know, I haven't looked into it, but it's certainly what makes the most sense to me.

Post the Button I was convinced that the plan would be that the Question (who had this new origin that he did something to piss all the God’s off that they removed his identity) would be Roserach, one of the Joker’s would be the Comedian and they’d find a way to fold the other Watchmen characters into the DCU.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McCloud posted:

It's stupid all the way down, really.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Still pissed they didn't reveal Mad Hatter as the fourth Joker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

What? That was definitely Smith in his lovely Batman series. Bendis has wrote very little Batman. He also gave Karen page aids, and made speedy a child prostitute.

It's still lovely but Smith created Mia, he didn't retcon anything there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

Post the Button I was convinced that the plan would be that the Question (who had this new origin that he did something to piss all the God’s off that they removed his identity) would be Roserach, one of the Joker’s would be the Comedian and they’d find a way to fold the other Watchmen characters into the DCU.

I thought that was Phantom Stranger?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

I thought that was Phantom Stranger?

No the Phantom Stranger was Judas Iscarriot, complete with a chain made out of 40 pieces of Silver.

The Question was someone who the gods erased all the identity of. Which (the theory went) was for the crime of not bowing down to Ozymandius' plan.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think that was Bendis

No it was Smith. In the same issue he had Batman piss himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Codependent Poster posted:

There's no point to this story. It ruins the whole "we don't know the Joker's real backstory' to "well now they were all real except now one is really for sure the answer but that's fine because you don't know his name!"

"It doesn't matter who the Joker is. But here's an ending that gives him an identity, history, and motivation anyway." - Three Jokers

Wasn't it implied the backstory in The Killing Joke was just how he was remembering his past on that particular day anyway?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

No the Phantom Stranger was Judas Iscarriot, complete with a chain made out of 40 pieces of Silver.

He should have looked into a higher-return investment vehicle because that's only like 0.0144% compounding over the ~2000 years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Johns seems to be on this weird 70s suburban family kick. It was in Doomsday Clock and then here as well. I don't really know what it means, I just know it means...something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Is this the end of Johns authored books at DC?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The rumor mill said he might be on hiatus. It's assumed because of the impending bomb Ray Fisher is going to toss at his feet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The rumor mill said he might be on hiatus. It's assumed because of the impending bomb Ray Fisher is going to toss at his feet.

I hope I never see his name on a book again.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Same. I’ve long stopped caring for his writing and the Ray Fisher accusations make it worse

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

stratdax posted:

What's weird is that the original pitch seemed to be Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Nu52 Undercut Joker.

Which, like, that's two characters in the same decade and they don't even touch on the Man who Laughs look.

I agree that the resolution to the story is dumb as gently caress. Confirming that Joker knows who Batman is and then somehow that Killing Joke wife knew her hubbie was psycho and the benevolent order of good cops saved up for her to go awol was bad, but how the gently caress does the continuity work anyway?

Killing Joker happens and then he goes and makes some mobster Old Man who Laughs Joker and just chills for a few years?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's weird is that the original pitch seemed to be Killing Joke, Death in the Family, Nu52 Undercut Joker.

Which, like, that's two characters in the same decade and they don't even touch on the Man who Laughs look.

I agree that the resolution to the story is dumb as gently caress. Confirming that Joker knows who Batman is and then somehow that Killing Joke wife knew her hubbie was psycho and the benevolent order of good cops saved up for her to go awol was bad, but how the gently caress does the continuity work anyway?

Killing Joker happens and then he goes and makes some mobster Old Man who Laughs Joker and just chills for a few years?

They don't actually say who made who.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He's in this strange "important" writer stage and sort of not? It reads like Bendis had to write around Johns' Doomsday Clock things in his Superman run.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yannick_B posted:

He's in this strange "important" writer stage and sort of not? It reads like Bendis had to write around Johns' Doomsday Clock things in his Superman run.

Well, he was co-publisher so was running the show in a sense. He has since been fired so I wonder if he will stick around as just a regular ole writer in a company perhaps hostile to him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Well, he was co-publisher so was running the show in a sense. He has since been fired so I wonder if he will stick around as just a regular ole writer in a company perhaps hostile to him

If he doesn't have anything announced yet I kinda doubt it. Plus they've got Snyder for their big event type comics now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

They don't actually say who made who.
There's the part where Killing Joker says something like "bet the old man regrets making me! or did I make him!". plus the whole "I know him " from Bats reveals the Killing Joker, not Man who Laughs mobguy

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The killing joke origin doesn't fit that,not does Batman learning that origin so quickly let the comedian be second.

If the criminal was the secret Mastermind of the red hood gang that line makes a little sense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I was working on a checklist so I can see what my subscribers what to get for Future State. I didn't realize that most of the books are going to be large pricey anthology books which, uhh, always do poorly historically. I personally like that format but it makes things a much harder sell. Slapping an extra four bucks and two more stories on the Batman book I want to actually read just makes it easier to skip.

I am glad this is all going to be returnable, but at the same time I am not really interested in a bunch of books that are pricey and hard to sell at the slowest time of the year. Two bad months are not what anyone needs, and DC certainly can't afford bad numbers with the way AT&T is looking at them.

Just... gently caress. It's bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Batman #251 is the transition issue i think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s going to be great when the CHUDs use Future State as an example of diversity not selling.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

is this Future State stuff just repackaged 5G pages that were already in the can before DiDio was fired or something?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, absolutely. I guess they sank enough work into it they decided to dump it out and pray people care.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Karma Tornado posted:

is this Future State stuff just repackaged 5G pages that were already in the can before DiDio was fired or something?
Ugh. Love to know this is all building to a massive crossover in 11 months where [Barry Allen] discovers that [The Speed Force God] has been orchestrating things covertly to [Rob the DCU of 8 minutes of Hope] and Superman must [outrun the Speed of Despair] to allow Wally West the time to [undo the future of the False DCU].

It's like everything is reboots or alternate futures now christ.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Karma Tornado posted:

I imagine it's a mix of that and stories that had to be heavily reworked or reconceived due to the abandonment of the original 5G plans. What that ratio might be, I have no idea.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Karma Tornado posted:

Seems that way since the only Flash story is about how Wally is an evil monster who only Barry Allen can defeat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So next Tales from the Dark Multiversenis the Lobo who Bats.

God, just stop DC. Just Stop.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

So next Tales from the Dark Multiversenis the Lobo who Bats.

God, just stop DC. Just Stop.

No that's INFINITE HOUR EXXXTREME. Tales from the Dark Multiverse is a separate line of comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
As someone who doesn't care at all about the monthly books (but lol at selling 19 three joker variants and people eating that up) I'm going to be pissed if they put all the trades in previews out to pasture for future state