Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I dig that the Mithraic are like 2 steps away from being right out of a Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gazaar posted:

I dig that the Mithraic are like 2 steps away from being right out of a Souls game.

Space Epstein was dressed like a dark souls enemy

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 19, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I seriously was resisting the near uncontrollable urge to just post "Praise the Sun!" when it came to them because that poo poo is such a tired meme, and I was willing to see where they were going with their weird Monty Python reject looking troop of dudes carrying around plastic shields and using androids with page-boy haircuts. But then the loving rapist was wearing a goddamn Bloodborne helmet, black robes and literally had a voice straight out of DS1 and I just had to wonder if any of this was intentional.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I pretty much hatewatched this and among all the other stuff I've seen people complaining about my biggest beef is that none of the characters really had any agency. They just had weird impossible/religious/magical things happen to them and the story was mostly about how they reacted to it. It reminded me of late-season BSG which is not a compliment.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
So why couldn’t the Android just trigger the helmet crushing when Otho tore his head off?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Played a fun game this Saturday where I got my wife and another couple drunk and showed them Episode 1 of Raised by Wolves, gave them a five minute summary of the next eight episodes, and then showed them Episode 10.

In a way, I think it was better than experiencing it the way I originally did.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Diabolical! That sounds like one of those Law and Order Ice T memes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I loved 95% of this so much, but I could feel it painting itself into a pretty bad corner and hoo boy, did I underestimate just how bad a corner it would be.

Principal cast members: :kiss: such marvelous performances, very much worth watching in spite of the titanic shark jump finale.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lmao reviewing the thread up to the point where episode 10 was released

this, this was the exact moment

Gonz posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I seriously was resisting the near uncontrollable urge to just post "Praise the Sun!" when it came to them because that poo poo is such a tired meme, and I was willing to see where they were going with their weird Monty Python reject looking troop of dudes carrying around plastic shields and using androids with page-boy haircuts. But then the loving rapist was wearing a goddamn Bloodborne helmet, black robes and literally had a voice straight out of DS1 and I just had to wonder if any of this was intentional.

gently caress the sun, I hate the sun, long live the loving beast.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ridley Scott to make a dark souls tv series next....

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

etalian posted:

Ridley Scott to make a dark souls tv series next....

I would be extremely into this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's been weeks and I still don't really know if I liked anything of this show.
I guess this means I have to verge on the negative.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Counterpoint, it's a show you are still thinking about weeks later. I've watched like 2 more series since RBW and already forgotten almost everything about them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

veni veni veni posted:

Counterpoint, it's a show you are still thinking about weeks later. I've watched like 2 more series since RBW and already forgotten almost everything about them.

I think about The Room a lot, that doesn't make it good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A small point: 6 (or even 12) embryos does not seem like enough to rebuild civilization, but Neal Stephenson's novel Seveneves actually goes into a fair amount of detail on exactly how you could rebuild a population that way. Midway through the book the entire human population is reduced to 7 women, but they use genetic engineering to introduce enough genetic diversity to allow them to slowly repopulate, and by 5,000 years later humanity is back to 3 billion. I don't remember the science involved but it seemed reasonable at the time - the one side effect is that the future human society is actually divided into 7 genetically-distinct subgroups based on the original 7 progenitors.

I guess it doesn't really matter in the context of "ok Mother's true mission was not actually to successfully restart humanity" but I was reminded of it while reading through this thread.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That doesn't really make sense unless there was never an actual human atheist Campion Sturges that reprogrammed and the mission was entirely arranged by the ancient aliens AI virus, which I grant you, maybe is a corner the writers painted themselves into, but then the whole charade makes no sense at all. If there was a real Sturges and the virus subverted his mission, I guess there's various things it could have sabotaged to reduce the count to six but why would it bother.

The more you try to think that through the less sense it's going to make. Why does Mother need to be "prepared" by farting around trying to raise human children for a decade or two? Why is the trigger to instruct her body to start gestating the flying lamprey baby included on a separate ship? Why is she sent without sufficient food for the baby (android or human blood)? Why would she be programmed to disarm herself by removing her eyes? Why does she need to be sentient at all, we're shown pretty clearly in more than one bit of exposition that her role is to gestate the monster baby and then die - first when she has the vision of the head in the dodec box thing and then finds the destroyed android head, and then once she gives birth and it starts literally eating her.

It's one of those stories where all this stuff would have been much better off left allegorical and off camera.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Flesh Forge posted:

If there was a real Sturges and the virus subverted his mission, I guess there's various things it could have sabotaged to reduce the count to six but why would it bother.

I mean that is exactly what happened. To me it is obvious what this is: Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Adam/Eve = Father/Mother
Devil/Serpent = The "Voice"/Serpent
Fruit of Tree of Knowledge/Sex/Procreation = Android Sex/Procreation

Father/Mother/Kids never heard the "Voice" or saw the creatures for 10 years until the Ark woke the whole planet up by smashing into it. Mother is warned multiple times the pods are not for androids aka God warning Eve not to eat the fruit. Serpent begins to tempt Mother with what she wants to see (her creator/Earth Campion) as she uses the pods more and more finally mating with the entity (eating the fruit) which she thinks is Earth Campion, but of course is the Serpent/Devil. This seemingly activates forgotten Necromancer programming to begin gestating a Serpent inside her. We see later in the flashbacks that the Necromancers are caged and masked and used to birth the Serpents. Mother realizes basically immediately that she has been tricked when she finds the dead necromancer and begins to give birth. I believe the Serpent wanted to get to the Core which is why the holes are in the ground in the first place as its radioactive and probably has 'dark protons' which exploded its growth rate.

Everyone that can hear or see visions from The "Voice"/Serpent are Atheists (Androids, Campion, Marcus), and anyone who is a believer in 'Sol'/God is protected from the "Voice"/Serpent.

Paul is the actual chosen one and is the only one who is actually communicating with the other entity 'Sol'/God as we never actually see him talking to the voice like we do with the other characters (he always just says Sol told him - what seems to be happening to him seems different than the others). He is able to plan the holy city using the stones, his dead mouse is revived and given to him, he destroys the tarot cards which were giving Mother more visions (including where to birth the Serpent), and he was trying to disable the lander in order to prevent re-born Serpent from getting to the core.

Campion is special and a clear enemy of the Serpent although it is not clear how/why yet but most likely the fact he was 'dead' when born and brought back to life by a Necromancer (which is probably why they are called Necromancers in the first place). The Serpent definitely feels threatened by him and recoils when he is near and tried to convince him to kill himself.

Paul and Campion are set up for a Cain and Abel type relationship.

Tally is the one who everyone sees in the vision as she's the only one that fell to the underworld/hell.

The only thing I really can't figure out is the large dodecahedron in the dessert and what is going on with that. The smaller one holding the necromancer was a cage/prison of sorts so I imagine that is what it is but I'm not sure what it is holding (maybe Sol himself?).

So yea its just Genesis 2 with Androids. I'm sure the pitch was 'What if the Garden of Eden was on a different planet and humans went back to it after learning space travel?'. If people are expecting Hard Sci Fi after the end of Season 1 you are gonna be super disappointed where this is going IMO.

insider fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 27, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Mostly ageed, and 100% with the fundamental point that this is religious fantasy not sci-fi.

12 embryos is because 12 apostles. Mother is Eve, and virgin-birth Mary, and is also an inverse Jesus (first teacher of atheism, crucifix pose, magic blood, Jesus raised the dead - a necromancer).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
With Cally being Judas, and the apple is the crashed ship flight controls from the first episode, whose symbolic consumption by Campion leads to the arrival of the Mithraics, and doubt, and the loss of innocence.

It even looks like an apple.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m dense as poo poo when it comes to symbolism but I thought it was pretty clear when the flying death robot goes into crucifixion mode when she flies.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

HBO: So, we're launching a top tier premium streaming service. Something to really take on Netflix. A+ quality people come to expect from HBO, plus a strong back catalog.

Ridley Scott: Uh huh.

HBO: So, we need a marquee sci-fi name still. Something with a pedigree and lots of cool things that will get people talking. A 'must have' exclusive if you will. Interested?

Ridley Scott: I need a hundred million dollar budget, all the cocaine, and a crew that doesn't know the word 'no'.

HBO: Done.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s all Ridley Scott sci-if movies besides alien. Prometheus and Covenant were batshit in a good way too. 9 hours is just probably more than he needed to get there. I think he really wants to meet god and prove he’s a fuckhead.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s all Ridley Scott sci-if movies besides alien. Prometheus and Covenant were batshit in a good way too. 9 hours is just probably more than he needed to get there. I think he really wants to meet god and prove he’s a fuckhead.

George Lucas Syndrome: One hit trilogy and then a career spent lost up your own rear end.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

George Lucas stopped giving a poo poo, Ridley Scott at least seems to put some effort in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

insider posted:

I mean that is exactly what happened. To me it is obvious what this is: Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 2: Electric Boogaloo.

we only the simulation's portrayal of what it says are Mother's memories of this, it's really completely up in the air. it actually makes better sense if there was never a real Sturges and it's all lies constructed by the ancient code/virus, and would make for a better Biblical allegory since the ancient is basically Satan anyway.

quote:

The only thing I really can't figure out is the large dodecahedron in the dessert and what is going on with that. The smaller one holding the necromancer was a cage/prison of sorts so I imagine that is what it is but I'm not sure what it is holding (maybe Sol himself?). disappointed where this is going IMO.

I took the small one to be some kind of supportive machine to help gestate the baby snake monster, the helmet with the tube seemed pretty clearly intended to be a biomechanical "birth canal" for the thing to come out. It's totally ambiguous but I took it to be voluntary, like the Engineer drinking the goop in the intro scene of Prometheus. The big one I imagine is some large self contained AI machine and/or ship.

quote:

So yea its just Genesis 2 with Androids. I'm sure the pitch was 'What if the Garden of Eden was on a different planet and humans went back to it after learning space travel?'. If people are expecting Hard Sci Fi after the end of Season 1 you are gonna be super disappointed where this is going IMO.

and that's fine, like I said I enjoyed it much more for the awesome performances than the story.

oops,

quote:

Everyone that can hear or see visions from The "Voice"/Serpent are Atheists (Androids, Campion, Marcus), and anyone who is a believer in 'Sol'/God is protected from the "Voice"/Serpent.

except Otho, who is arguably the most devout Mithraic
e: actually I don't even think that's arguable

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 29, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mrmcd posted:

George Lucas Syndrome: One hit trilogy and then a career spent lost up your own rear end.

Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, The Maritan, Black Hawk Down, Thelma And Louise?

Say what you will about his other films, but he's got more than one good film idea in him.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 29, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

wtf? If compulsive goon contrarianism starts making you equate Ridley Scott to George loving Lucas it's time to rethink your opinions and life in general, htbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
More like Ridley Scat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lucas had 2 hit trilogies

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC star wars succeeded despite of Lucas, not because of him. It was mostly a team effort and people were able to constantly veto his lovely decisions. Good editing basically saved the movies. Then when the second trilogy came around he had free hand for the first time with Star Wars and, welp, you know the outcome. That dude has no idea how to make a good or interesting movie *spastically swirls around cgi light sabers*

The only other thing I remember Lucas for is that weird as gently caress (weird in a boring, uncreative, non-DMT way) movie with a guy in a duck consume. You know the one I'm talking about, the one with the duck titties

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Piell posted:

I think about The Room a lot,

:chloe:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

mrmcd posted:

except George Lucas stuff is embarrasing to watch while Ridley Scott still makes interesting stuff

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm not wading into the Lucas argument, I was just pointing out that Indiana Jones was also a very successful movie trilogy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lucas had 2 hit trilogies

American Graffiti should’ve been a trilogy. The sequel is really good.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Flesh Forge posted:

we only the simulation's portrayal of what it says are Mother's memories of this, it's really completely up in the air. it actually makes better sense if there was never a real Sturges and it's all lies constructed by the ancient code/virus, and would make for a better Biblical allegory since the ancient is basically Satan anyway.

Where are you getting this "ancient code/virus" from? There is literally no evidence of that in the show. I disagree completely that there was no real Sturges because why are they there in the first place? The Voice/Serpent didn't send them to Keppler and it didn't talk to anyone until they arrived. In fact it didn't talk to anyone on the planet until the Ark arrived. It makes much more sense to me that the Serpent/Devil would use real memories to convince Mother to take that bite of the apple. Maybe he altered the memories to add the romance angle but I see no reason to believe he wasn't a real person who sent Father/Mother to try and populate a new world. If Sturges wasn't real who reprogrammed Mother and Father?

Flesh Forge posted:

I took the small one to be some kind of supportive machine to help gestate the baby snake monster, the helmet with the tube seemed pretty clearly intended to be a biomechanical "birth canal" for the thing to come out. It's totally ambiguous but I took it to be voluntary, like the Engineer drinking the goop in the intro scene of Prometheus. The big one I imagine is some large self contained AI machine and/or ship.

The helmet was clearly to hide their eyes which is where their power comes from. They birth the snakes through their mouths which is the only part of them not covered. As we saw with Mother the natural cycle was for the snake to completely drain and kill the android. I didn't take it as voluntary at all as they wouldn't need to cover the eyes and bind the body of the necromancer if it was voluntary. It was clearly a cage (which is also clearly an "egg") used to hold the necromancer while the snake gestates.

Flesh Forge posted:

oops,
except Otho, who is arguably the most devout Mithraic
e: actually I don't even think that's arguable

Yea this was not correct. The creator actually said in an interview that The Voice speaks only to one person at a time and it is easier if they have a broken mind (like Marcus and Otho). It was just a guess based on mostly Atheists hearing the Voice, but it makes sense from the war that mostly the Atheists would be the broken minded.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what an insane ride this show is

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not reading through this thread, because I'm only 3-4 episodes in.... but I love how they have space ships that run on potatoes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

noble potat shown proper respect by show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
They are spicy potatoes though.