Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Turok is better than Quake.:colbert:

lol I won't go that far although I do think it's neat that Turok is built entirely around key hunting but the keys are for unlocking the next level.

I just wish the difficulty curve was better. On hard enemies are too much of a bullet sponge and respawn frequently but on normal you can sleep through it. I'm keeping it on hard for now but you really have to master using the knife to conserve ammo and running tight circles around the frequently respawning raptors that take 8 shotgun shells to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I just impulse bought Painkiller because its $2 on gog. I've never played a Serious Sam-like so I'm not sure I'll love it but it seems to be fairly highly regarded and I like the style more than Sam's.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Painkiller is fun is spurts but it's pretty repetitive. Thankfully, unlike Serious Sam, they change up the environment and monsters every other level so even though you're fighting the same brand of charging melee and ranged slingshot assholes they at least put in the effort to reskin them all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1321508017372889090
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1320486235316523008

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If they do this I hope they can find voice actors that sound like the ones in the original.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Can someone with Twitter please do me a favour and reply yes to this? I avoid social media like the plague.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

MMF Freeway posted:

I just impulse bought Painkiller because its $2 on gog. I've never played a Serious Sam-like so I'm not sure I'll love it but it seems to be fairly highly regarded and I like the style more than Sam's.

Read requiterements for cards before every level and try to get them, some of them are really easy and will give you cards that make the game faster, like increased ammo count on level starts, lower soul count for the demon mode.

Painkiller is a circle-strafing bonanza, but with Quake-ish physics, esp. with jumps. The first few levels are meh but it gets more interesting the more you play it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

Can someone with Twitter please do me a favour and reply yes to this? I avoid social media like the plague.

Already did.:)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Already did.:)

Thanks!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

site posted:

I think that me not liking Wolf3D stems from the fact that the levels are fairly bland one-story mazes and until ECWolf there wasn't even a fuckin map, not so much the movement

I don't even remember what the original levels were like, I just remember the mission packs for Spear of Destiny and not liking them at all. Especially the one called Return to Danger. Looking at the maps the designer(s) on that one was/were really loving around and didn't care if the levels were even fun to play.

Not featured: two levels build around a swastika and one featuring a Reichsadler.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 28, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just went through the original 3 episodes of Wolf and I think the levels were well designed for the most part. It’s clear the poo poo after was churned out quickly due to the success of it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don't think Turok's movement is really comparable to Doom's? There is a (slight) acceleration curve, but you come to a complete stop immediately when you take your finger off the the key.
Even when you're in mid-air! Which was probably meant to give you more precise control for the platforming, but in practice ended up causing at least half of my deaths due to the muscle memory from every other game to feature jumping I've ever played taking over.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't even remember what the original levels were like, I just remember the mission packs for Spear of Destiny and not liking them at all. Especially the one called Return to Danger. Looking at the maps the designer(s) on that one was/were really loving around and didn't care if the levels were even fun to play.

I feel like the 'main' Spear of Destiny is the best Wolfenstein after the original 3 episodes, but the 'expansions' to it are utter amateur trash. I'm not even sure if they're official.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lork posted:

Even when you're in mid-air! Which was probably meant to give you more precise control for the platforming, but in practice ended up causing at least half of my deaths due to the muscle memory from every other game to feature jumping I've ever played taking over.

It didn't bother me the last time I played but going straight from Wrath to it today was jarring.

If you want to kill your momentum mid-air in Quake you can do it with a single tap of 'S', which I think works better.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Spear of Destiny mission packs at least had some funny boss designs:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
A few years ago I played through Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, and the Mission Packs. I don't remember having much issue with the Mission Packs, barring a couple levels that had mandatory secrets. I liked the new art at least. Would have been way more of a nightmare if I wasn't playing through ECWolf, the automap is a godsend.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

laserghost posted:

Read requiterements for cards before every level and try to get them, some of them are really easy and will give you cards that make the game faster, like increased ammo count on level starts, lower soul count for the demon mode.

Painkiller is a circle-strafing bonanza, but with Quake-ish physics, esp. with jumps. The first few levels are meh but it gets more interesting the more you play it.

I've played the first episode and yeah it's pretty decent. I like the bunny hopping and the goofy 00's era ragdolls. Also am I missing something or can you not change difficulty once you've started a game? I picked the hardest one but I guess that means souls don't drop so now I feel like I'm missing out on a whole mechanic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No changing difficulty and your card rewards are tied to that slot. To be honest grinding out the cards is one of those very bad game design things where I would encourage you to cheat to get them rather than do it legit.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Latest version of "will it run Doom"?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Strife launch sale on Switch has bugged out, so it's been temporarily extended to Steam while Night Dive sort things out with Nintendo:
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1321540272476409859

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

The Strife launch sale on Switch has bugged out, so it's been temporarily extended to Steam while Night Dive sort things out with Nintendo:
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1321540272476409859

I figured something went wrong since they said it would be on sale at launch.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I hope that Turok 2 discount comes to Switch... All the chat in this thread has made me eager to play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

UMG has been very aggressive lately in taking down Quake videos with the soundtrack. I think I hate music licensing more than anything else, like why is Interscope associated with the Quake soundtrack at all?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Appreciate the effort to sort out the eShop discount, but it's only $2.50 we're talking about here. I didn't think twice about picking up this new release of a very old game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

UMG has been very aggressive lately in taking down Quake videos with the soundtrack. I think I hate music licensing more than anything else, like why is Interscope associated with the Quake soundtrack at all?
UMG were involved in the recent vinyl release, so this is probably what's causing some robot somewhere to shout threats at some other robot. The system works!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

How does Black Plague in Heretic compare to Ultraviolence in Doom, and does it have respawns like Nightmare in Doom does? Currently playing on Smite-Meister for e1 and while I don't think I'm going to restart e1, it seems a little easy and I might want to crank it up for e2. So far the main threat has been myself and being a dangerously enthusiastic nutbag about using Gauntlets of the Necromancer.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The hardest difficulty doesn't have respawning monsters, but it has fast monsters and bonus ammo.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cat Machine posted:

I hope that Turok 2 discount comes to Switch... All the chat in this thread has made me eager to play it.

Well look-y here

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/turok-2-seeds-of-evil

$9.99 in for NA at least.

Oh looks like Strife got its discount too

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/strife-veteran-edition

$7.49

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/duskdev/status/1321841543200808963

Never have I booted Dusk and not wondered what the gently caress was going on there

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/duskdev/status/1321841543200808963

Never have I booted Dusk and not wondered what the gently caress was going on there
David Szymanski is a lot of things, but by his own admission "a good programmer" is not on the list. A lot of the delay on the DUSK modding stuff has been actual programmers (like the "Zombie" mentioned in the tweet) rewriting everything on-top of making it extensible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The DUSK Update is out, bringing with it improved performance, dramatically less tune-loading, the return of Dusk-O-Ween in multiplayer, and numerous bug fixes to the mod SDK. Further updates are threatened, including a weapon wheel, alternate Doom-style HUD, additional modding functionality and co-op support.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's also a Halloween update to Serious Sam 4. Find a pumpkin in mission 2 to enable some spookiness! There's also five new player models for multiplayer (and singleplayer!) and a custom difficulty setting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YG8oqhYMg

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Pyrolocutus posted:

How does Black Plague in Heretic compare to Ultraviolence in Doom, and does it have respawns like Nightmare in Doom does? Currently playing on Smite-Meister for e1 and while I don't think I'm going to restart e1, it seems a little easy and I might want to crank it up for e2. So far the main threat has been myself and being a dangerously enthusiastic nutbag about using Gauntlets of the Necromancer.

A recent Heretic Civvie video gives you a good idea of what to expect from Black Plague: a miserable slog.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny, he says he hasn't really played fistful of boomstick out of the three, which is a shame because it's probably the most, uh, coherent one of them that isn't a garbage-to-play attempt at survival horror (hail to the king) or a fairly unfinished mid-2000's hack and slash (regeneration)

would probably make for a decent video in itself. it's definitely not an incredibly stellar game on its own but i would definitely rate it as the most interesting one.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Convex posted:

I avoid social media like the plague.
But you right now posted this on... never mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

A recent Heretic Civvie video gives you a good idea of what to expect from Black Plague: a miserable slog.

The thing about Heretic is that it can be a really fun bullet hell dance-of-death shooter with wacky items and magic wings. Make everything twice as fast and they may as well be hitscanners.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Linguica posted:

But you right now posted this on... never mind.

anti-social media :v:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

al-azad posted:

The thing about Heretic is that it can be a really fun bullet hell dance-of-death shooter with wacky items and magic wings. Make everything twice as fast and they may as well be hitscanners.

There are a couple of good map packs for it too that take advantage of better computers to ratchet up the enemy count way higher and use bigger areas so you can have even better bullet hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Now that Halloween's almost here, what are you all playing? I've been keeping myself busy playing through Blood and Death Wish (it's great!) but am always up for more. Are there any good, fun and spooky WAD's or mods? I don't mean outright survival horror, but stuff that really stradles the line between spooky gothic and loveable camp.

Like Castlevania, but with shotguns.