Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I didn't even particularly care that the old armour looked dumb but that is infinitely better. Like, my god it's not even a comparison.

Hope they fix Cahir's character next :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is going to be hard to make the switch to sadbrains lovesick dumbass from his current sociopathic cultist persona.

The armour still needs some cuisses to go with the tassets.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is going to be hard to make the switch to sadbrains lovesick dumbass from his current sociopathic cultist persona.

The armour still needs some cuisses to go with the tassets.

I think they can manage it when they get to Thanedd.

It’s just weird overall that they made Nilfgaard a death cult.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
That was weird. Just finished . Partway through the Battle of Kaer Morhen, I hit E for something and suddenly I'm having a conversation about dissecting a creature with Eskel; then when the conversation ended, I was trapped inside the keep and couldn't get out to finish the battle. Had to reload a save, but then it went fine. Except when the battle ended, my crossbow was missing.

I downloaded the Console mod, but it won't appear when i hit ~ or F2.

Alchemy is broken. Bumped the game up to the third difficulty, and I'm still rolling enemies. Were all the School gear sets (and the 24 fetch quests) added after release? Cause I think they're overpowered, too. And now that I'm not regularly bumping into random mobs 5+ levels higher than me, the game is easier in general.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the school sets are what geralt is supposed to wear. if you wear anything else youre a noob

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alchemy is super broken because it does percentage based damage buffs. Health scaling gets completely negated when poisoned blades do more damage over time than individual strikes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cobalt-60 posted:

That was weird. Just finished . Partway through the Battle of Kaer Morhen, I hit E for something and suddenly I'm having a conversation about dissecting a creature with Eskel; then when the conversation ended, I was trapped inside the keep and couldn't get out to finish the battle. Had to reload a save, but then it went fine. Except when the battle ended, my crossbow was missing.

I downloaded the Console mod, but it won't appear when i hit ~ or F2.

Alchemy is broken. Bumped the game up to the third difficulty, and I'm still rolling enemies. Were all the School gear sets (and the 24 fetch quests) added after release? Cause I think they're overpowered, too. And now that I'm not regularly bumping into random mobs 5+ levels higher than me, the game is easier in general.

This is why we tell people the game gets easier as you go. I exclusively play on death March because it's the only way it feels fair. As geralt gets more tools and skills, he only gets more overpowered.

And yeah, alchemy is the most broken tree, you can essentially break the game with it. I also choose to go with signs for that reason as it's more engaging.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is why we tell people the game gets easier as you go. I exclusively play on death March because it's the only way it feels fair. As geralt gets more tools and skills, he only gets more overpowered.

And yeah, alchemy is the most broken tree, you can essentially break the game with it. I also choose to go with signs for that reason as it's more engaging.

This. Death March gets pretty easy once you hit level 15, outside of a handful of specific fights - especially if you're leaning into an alchemy/bombs build.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if i would've played this scene five months ago i would've been like "what the gently caress! i changed into some noble clothes why is yennefer chewing me out!"

but now that i read the books i know, it's because i came dressed in blue and that doesn't match the colors geralt is supposed to know she always wears lol

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I just finished the last main story quest in Velen. Well that was certainly a rollercoaster from start to finish. I'm not sure if I got the "right" ending, but Tamara told her dad to gently caress off and is joining the Eternal Fire group, Anna got cursed by the crones to be a water hag (which I reversed but she wound up dying), and Phillip went back to his keep and hung himself. I did free the weird tree spirit druid thing to save the orphans which in hindsight may have been questionable...

Also, I've been doing a bunch of side quests and exploring but the map is still covered in ? icons. And now I realize the world map has multiple areas this size?? Good god, this game is huge.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Aranan posted:

I just finished the last main story quest in Velen. Well that was certainly a rollercoaster from start to finish. I'm not sure if I got the "right" ending, but Tamara told her dad to gently caress off and is joining the Eternal Fire group, Anna got cursed by the crones to be a water hag (which I reversed but she wound up dying), and Phillip went back to his keep and hung himself. I did free the weird tree spirit druid thing to save the orphans which in hindsight may have been questionable...

Also, I've been doing a bunch of side quests and exploring but the map is still covered in ? icons. And now I realize the world map has multiple areas this size?? Good god, this game is huge.

That quest has no good outcome, but from a narrative perspective you got the way more powerful ending imo. Returning to find the Baron dangling from the tree is quite a moment.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1321770954536718336

Can kinda see where they're going with this. I guess that's Fringilla with her?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Aranan posted:

There is no "good" outcome to that one and most quests in W3 are the same way. There are only different kinds of lovely.

You're maybe 20-25% done with the base game. Including both DLCs more like... 15%? Base game is around 75-100 hours, expansions are another 30-50 depending on how thoroughly and quickly you finish them. Yes, the game is huge.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1321770954536718336

Can kinda see where they're going with this. I guess that's Fringilla with her?

going to need someone to explain how this is relevant to the story

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't recall it being in the books, but we can safely assume Jaskier might have ended in there after he had to GTFO from Toussaint.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

going to need someone to explain how this is relevant to the story

In the books, Francesca is part of a cabal that's trying to breed the Elder blood by arranging royalty marriages with lineage back to Lara Dorren. So it looks like she is literally trying to breed an Elder blood child herself instead of relying solely on chance with human royalty.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Aranan posted:

Don't worry too much about ?'s. They mostly give rewards they are leveled to you, so they can be a great way to make some money later in the game, and since most normally have some neat little thing about them, it's not boring.

Except skellige. Do not go sailing around doing the markers in the sea unless you just want to. They are all just various chests guarded by sirens and whatever else.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

In the books, Francesca is part of a cabal that's trying to breed the Elder blood by arranging royalty marriages with lineage back to Lara Dorren. So it looks like she is literally trying to breed an Elder blood child herself instead of relying solely on chance with human royalty.

i know, i read the books.....but i guess this will let them skip the distressing discussions the cabal has about breeding ciri

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aranan posted:

Yeah, I found it to be almost overwhelming and have quit the game 2x because of it. I sort of like W3 but hated how much time I spent in the sub menus and staring at the mini map instead of soaking in the beautiful world they created. As I understand it, you can skip a lot of those "?" and you won't miss much but my OCD or whatever it is won't let me ignore them.

It's a cool game but so much about it drags down the enjoyment for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

scary ghost dog posted:

i know, i read the books.....but i guess this will let them skip the distressing discussions the cabal has about breeding ciri

I think you're both reading too much into it. To me this seems more like a follow up that the Elves are trying to rebuild their numbers and Fringilla is visiting Dol Blathanna to help set up the Thanedd Coup.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you're both reading too much into it. To me this seems more like a follow up that the Elves are trying to rebuild their numbers and Fringilla is visiting Dol Blathanna to help set up the Thanedd Coup.

It can be both. But elves repopulating is a less compelling, pretty vanilla reason to have Francesca pregnant. It makes more sense as a way to fast track the Elder blood breeding explanation.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fritz the Horse posted:

There is no "good" outcome to that one and most quests in W3 are the same way. There are only different kinds of lovely.

You're maybe 20-25% done with the base game. Including both DLCs more like... 15%? Base game is around 75-100 hours, expansions are another 30-50 depending on how thoroughly and quickly you finish them. Yes, the game is huge.

The game is huge to the point that CDPR scaled back CP2077 due to complaints.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Oh, my comments about all the world markers wasn't a complaint. I'm loving it. I have no idea why it took me so long to actually pick up this game but I'm glad I finally did. I didn't play 1 or 2, but I did read (most of) the books and played a little bit of Gwent when it first came out. It's neat seeing things I recognize.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

scary ghost dog posted:

on one hand yes but on the other hand that's kind of the point, you might be almost sympathetic to some of their ideals if they didn't have the shadow of exploiting ciri hanging over them. there's no good side and no right choices except smoking a fat blunt w king arthur except going somewhere nobody knows about the Elder Blood

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

on one hand yes but on the other hand that's kind of the point, you might be almost sympathetic to some of their ideals if they didn't have the shadow of exploiting ciri hanging over them. there's no good side and no right choices except smoking a fat blunt w king arthur except going somewhere nobody knows about the Elder Blood

yeah. i hope it will be used as one of the many hilariously stupid and doomed to fail plots the witches gently caress up

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Look Sir Droids posted:

https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1321505952181477376

THIS IS WAY BETTER THAN THE NUTSACK ARMOR. Wow. Must have gotten a big budget bump.

Weird that it's kinda bronze though. Maybe with lighting it'll look black?

Eh, close enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The armour nerd in me is bugged by the cuirass being too long (but really thats almost every suit of movie armour) and having what looks like a quilted shirt painted to look like mail sleeves rather than having mail voiders under the pauldrons. And the general lack of thigh protection past the tassets.

Granted, the Witcher games don't have perfect armour either, since geralt apparently has trouble with zippers and buckles, but it's miles better than most fantasy. And I actually like how the Toussaint Knights aren't equipped in full armour. Theyre more focused on looking good and flashy rather than being a serious military force, hence the lack of armour layers beneath their gaudy plate.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arcsquad12 posted:

geralt apparently has trouble with zippers and buckles

:smuggo:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hey it's quicker to drop trou than to fiddle with your budgie hammock drawstrings

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Finished the main game.
Well-designed final battle, although I wish we could have had Badass Ciri for longer than 45 seconds. And how did the Skellige fighters get there? Don't recall them mentioned in the plans.

And the endings. Seriously (Ciriously?), a snowball fight and some petty vandalism mark the difference between life and death? If I hadn't known it was coming, I'd never have known ANY of those decisions were Important, and wound up with the Bad End. Then again, I'm not good at reading the room; missed a couple plot hooks/sex scenes because I had no idea they were there.

What happens if you get the Ciri empress ending and the Radovid wins/Emrys killed?

Is there a cutscene if you try to romance both, and get neither?

Final total (for now): 54.9 hours played, all Gwent cards gotten except the 4 from that $$@#$ tournament, 8 lesser red mutagens total dropped.

Probably come back later to play the DLCs and grind another 15k gold to make Mastercrafted armor sets.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Cobalt-60 posted:

Yes and it's hilarious.

Has there been any updates on the "next gen" update release date? I'm guessing no because Cyberpunk has all hands on deck to get it out the door.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cobalt-60 posted:

Finished the main game.
Well-designed final battle, although I wish we could have had Badass Ciri for longer than 45 seconds. And how did the Skellige fighters get there? Don't recall them mentioned in the plans.

And the endings. Seriously (Ciriously?), a snowball fight and some petty vandalism mark the difference between life and death? If I hadn't known it was coming, I'd never have known ANY of those decisions were Important, and wound up with the Bad End. Then again, I'm not good at reading the room; missed a couple plot hooks/sex scenes because I had no idea they were there.

What happens if you get the Ciri empress ending and the Radovid wins/Emrys killed?

Final total (for now): 54.9 hours played, all Gwent cards gotten except the 4 from that $$@#$ tournament, 8 lesser red mutagens total dropped.

Probably come back later to play the DLCs and grind another 15k gold to make Mastercrafted armor sets.

Play the DLCs now! Hearts of Stone has better writing than even the main game, and Blood and Wine is a beautiful place to explore and a much need vacation for Geralt.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cobalt-60 posted:

I don't think this particular combination is possible?

If Radovid wins, Nilfgaard falls into turmoil. The nobles of Nilfgaard are really pissy about Emhyr spending a ton of money invading the North again and searching for his lost daughter (Ciri). If Emhyr loses, everything falls to poo poo. Ciri as Empress is his project and his project alone.

Nilfgaard is really powerful but they're overextended. Emhyr losing in the North means a rebellion of the wealthy nobles and guilds back in Nilfgaard proper.

And yeah the choices that shape the final outcome of the base game are pretty opaque. It's a legitimate criticism. The "bad" ending is very well done though. It's a huge loving gut punch.

chaosapiant posted:

Play the DLCs now! Hearts of Stone has better writing than even the main game, and Blood and Wine is a beautiful place to explore and a much need vacation for Geralt.

Extremely this. If you liked the main game, the DLCs together are almost half as much content as the base game. They're as good and probably better in various aspects. Hearts of Stone is a fantastic self-contained storyline, Blood and Wine is a big open world zone and city with a very welcome and fun change in tone. B&W is full of pop culture references and in-jokes about the rest of the Witcher series.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 2, 2020

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

I don't think this particular combination is possible?

The "bad" ending is very well done though. It's a huge loving gut punch.

More like a kick in the dick. Emotionally charged, but the fact that it depends entirely on 4 random conversations? With no indication whatsoever that they were important, or even what the "right" answer was? If I read that in a book, I'd be posting it in a bad book mockery thread (one of them).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cobalt-60 posted:

More like a kick in the dick. Emotionally charged, but the fact that it depends entirely on 4 random conversations? With no indication whatsoever that they were important, or even what the "right" answer was? If I read that in a book, I'd be posting it in a bad book mockery thread (one of them).

In general the game doesn't give you any indication of how your decisions are going to play out, which I like. It doesn't spell out for you the consequences.

But yeah in the case of final outcome for Ciri it's kinda lovely because it's entirely opaque and not obvious those were huge end-determining choices.

It's a very legitimate criticism of an otherwise great game. Honestly I'd just chalk it up to a questionable decision and do the expansions, they're a palate cleanser, B&W in particular.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The snowball fight is up there with showing Dijkstra in that the promt does not at all reflect what it will actually lead to.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Avalerion posted:

The snowball fight is up there with showing Dijkstra in that the promt does not at all reflect what it will actually lead to.

yeah. I like the tone of supporting Ciri's independence and self confidence being the right choices. What I don't like is the vagueness of the prompts, and that the snowball fight is particularly vague and out of tone with what just happened. She asks Geralt for advice on how he handles not being able to save everyone, and the "good" response is to huck snowballs at her and never answer the question.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah. I like the tone of supporting Ciri's independence and self confidence being the right choices. What I don't like is the vagueness of the prompts, and that the snowball fight is particularly vague and out of tone with what just happened. She asks Geralt for advice on how he handles not being able to save everyone, and the "good" response is to huck snowballs at her and never answer the question.

thats correct, the in-character answer is to dodge the question because geralt straight up cannot answer it. the good ending is a reward for really understanding the characters, and im not just saying that because i got the good ending on my first attempt without looking it up

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Almost as if having a tender, loving and fun moment with his daughter might be the answer to how he is able to live with that knowledge.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah sometimes the answers to those heavy-rear end questions are "gently caress it, let's get ice cream" because the kids alright and you can't solve all their problems.