Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Doctor Malaver posted:

French speakers, is there a pun here?

There is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

All I'm trying to say is that the prohibition on depictions of Mohammed are a later imposition by adding rules upon rules based on a single verse telling Muslims not to worship prior polytheistic idols and criticising it should not be any more an issue than doing so to the similar rules of the Catholic church. Though in fact the preceding sentence may be more blasphemous than any caricature, depending on ones beliefs, though I don't see it as blasphemous any more than being a Protestant is a blasphemy against the Church. Which it perhaps is to some people.

In fact the first instance of the rule was the prohibition of all imagery, as any imagery may potentially be worshipped as an idol, which is what the Quran exhorts against. Though that may be rather impractical today and was never followed to the letter.
This is also a big part of why calligraphy became so important, but if I'm being honest that's still imagery in my view and if anything the mystical nature of it makes it more likely to be worshipped, not less.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 29, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Speaking as an exmo, Mormons don't like it when you publish pictures of magic underwear or text of their temple rituals, but who cares? If they consider it too sacred to share themselves, that's fine of course, but expecting others to care is dumb (even back when they could reasonably be considered a persecuted minority), especially when their religion has many other problematic aspects making it worthy of critique and criticism.

Same reasoning applies to other religions imo.

edit: I remember reading a story in a writing class in high school about "Nipple Jesus", I'm sure there are evangelical Christians that would find this highly offensive, but again, just because a religion hates something doesn't mean the secular world is obliged to respect that

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 29, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cicero posted:

Speaking as an exmo, Mormons don't like it when you publish pictures of magic underwear or text of their temple rituals

It's 100% about control.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
99.9999% of muslims don't care if you draw pictures of Muhammad, hth ops

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nilbop posted:

My heart goes out to anyone in Nice, or France in general. You guys seem to get the worst of this by miles. I feel like my own personal opinions on what we can do about Islamic terrorism is slowly being forced to change as these keep happening.

the only thing "we" should "do" is stop bombing their people and fuding their terrorists

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

orange sky posted:

While I think that publishing the Prophet's caricature is akin to publishing a black person's caricature as a monkey (in that it is extremely offensive to a race/religion) in Mohammed's case it is actually written in multiple rules and obeyed religiously (no poo poo lol).

The ban on depictions of the prophet in Islam is a ban against idolatry. Basically: the prophet was just a man and should not be worshiped as a god, because there is no God but God. Muhammad insisted that he should be seen as a normal man, that being a prophet was not the same as having a divine nature (contrarily to Christianity's view of Jesus).

I think we can all agree the idea that worshiping a caricature of Muhammad is a ludicrous idea, so these toons are not idolatry.

So they call it blasphemy instead. But blasphemy is to insult God. If insulting the prophet is insulting God, then it means that the prophet is God. And that's worshiping the prophet, which is heresy.

This whole caricature of the prophet saga started with a Danish newspaper. This led to a complete fabrication where Danish imams started using cartoons not published by the JP while pretending that they were, so as to create international outrage. Because the actual cartoons were seen as not outrageous enough to work. The same thing happened with the assassination of Samuel Paty. He was accused by someone who was not even in his class, and killed by someone else who was not even in his class.

Doctor Malaver posted:

French speakers, is there a pun here? If not, I don't find it funny. Not because ooooh insulting religion oooh, I just don't see the joke.

This is a cartoon of Erdogan. Are people worshiping Erdogan now? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But basically it's calling him a hypocrite, which makes sense.

Right at the time when Erdogan and his buddies (Imran Khan, the Muslim Brotherhood, and similar) are organizing a vast campaign of francophobia with :godwin: claims about how Muslims are treated in France, they're also surprisingly silent about how Muslims are treated in, say, China. Or we could talk about how the Shia and Ahmadi are treated in Pakistan. I guess they're not real Muslims.

Oh, and stuff like that is happening, too:
https://twitter.com/YigitKarahan69/status/1321529896829620226

Let's be clear: it's not about religion, it's about politics. Let's go back to the Akkari-Laban dossier. The relevant part:

quote:

• Even though they [the Danes] belong to the Christian faith, secularization has overcome them, and if you say that they are all infidels, then you are not wrong.
  • We [Muslims] do not need lessons in democracy, but it is actually us, who through our deeds and speeches educate the whole world in democracy.
  • This [Europe's] dictatorial way of using democracy is completely unacceptable.
In other words: Europeans are infidels (guess what the Quran says about what Muslims should do to infidels? Yep, exactly what has happened to Samuel Paty and the three people assassinated in the Nice church), their values of democracy and human rights are actually dictatorial, the real democracy is when you have a theocratic autocracy. This is the message that the Erdogans of the world want Muslims to believe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Truga posted:

the only thing "we" should "do" is stop bombing their people and fuding their terrorists
"We" could also have more stringent immigration policy that screens for potential extremists and deport extremists already here. Stop the bombings, withdraw from Middle-east, move to cleaner energy production, tighten the borders and do something about the islamists already in Europe.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Cat Mattress posted:

The ban on depictions of the prophet in Islam is a ban against idolatry. Basically: the prophet was just a man and should not be worshiped as a god, because there is no God but God. Muhammad insisted that he should be seen as a normal man, that being a prophet was not the same as having a divine nature (contrarily to Christianity's view of Jesus).

I think we can all agree the idea that worshiping a caricature of Muhammad is a ludicrous idea, so these toons are not idolatry.

So they call it blasphemy instead. But blasphemy is to insult God. If insulting the prophet is insulting God, then it means that the prophet is God. And that's worshiping the prophet, which is heresy.

This whole caricature of the prophet saga started with a Danish newspaper. This led to a complete fabrication where Danish imams started using cartoons not published by the JP while pretending that they were, so as to create international outrage. Because the actual cartoons were seen as not outrageous enough to work. The same thing happened with the assassination of Samuel Paty. He was accused by someone who was not even in his class, and killed by someone else who was not even in his class.

This is a cartoon of Erdogan. Are people worshiping Erdogan now? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But basically it's calling him a hypocrite, which makes sense.

Right at the time when Erdogan and his buddies (Imran Khan, the Muslim Brotherhood, and similar) are organizing a vast campaign of francophobia with :godwin: claims about how Muslims are treated in France, they're also surprisingly silent about how Muslims are treated in, say, China. Or we could talk about how the Shia and Ahmadi are treated in Pakistan. I guess they're not real Muslims.

Let's be clear: it's not about religion, it's about politics. Let's go back to the Akkari-Laban dossier. The relevant part:

In other words: Europeans are infidels (guess what the Quran says about what Muslims should do to infidels? Yep, exactly what has happened to Samuel Paty and the three people assassinated in the Nice church), their values of democracy and human rights are actually dictatorial, the real democracy is when you have a theocratic autocracy. This is the message that the Erdogans of the world want Muslims to believe.

Stormfront is that way.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ham posted:

I don't think that implication exists in the post you quoted, unless I'm reading it wrong.

"I can understand why viewing it academically should not have such a reaction" implies the reaction is warranted when not viewing it academically. "You should not hit your wife in public spaces" while a true statement, is similarly disconcerting.

Ham posted:

It is abhorrent no matter what laws, rules or Islamic jurisprudence says that someone would harm someone else over a drawing, an opinion, or shouting "blasphemous" things - no qualifications there. Whether it is appropriate to show and share these depictions in a country with a systemic bigotry problem with their ostracized minority is a different question, and the one driving all the calls to boycott in the Islamic world.

I applaud the voluntary and peaceful expression through boycotts. Good for them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cat Mattress posted:

This whole caricature of the prophet saga started with a Danish newspaper. This led to a complete fabrication where Danish imams started using cartoons not published by the JP while pretending that they were, so as to create international outrage. Because the actual cartoons were seen as not outrageous enough to work.

This is false, but it's one of the little falsehoods that stuck around, because everyone was intent on giving upset Muslims the finger long before protests in the Middle East. The document included a lot of material, but the other drawings included were from the hate mail and death threats received by the Islamic Society after reporting Jyllands-Posten to the police, and were in a different section and clearly labelled as such. There were minor errors, such as describing Weekendavisen's subsequent "Draw Muhammad" competition as being printed on the front page instead of the back, but mostly it was legit translations of some of the many articles that were published locally in the wake of the initial publication.

(A few years prior, Jyllands-Posten had also rejected caricatures of Jesus with reference to the religious sensibilities of their readership. :lol:)

Edit:

Also, poo poo was definitely stoked by various governments in the region, perhaps because we were occupying their neighbours at the behest of Bush at the time, and just four years later would turbofuck Libya shoulder to shoulder with jihadis and... oh, right, France.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 29, 2020

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201029-malaysian-ex-pm-mahathir-says-muslims-have-right-to-kill-french

quote:

Malaysia's former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad said Thursday that Muslims had a right "to kill millions of French people", shortly after a knife-wielding man launched a deadly attack in Nice.

Three people were killed at a church in the southern French city, with the attacker slitting the throat of at least one of them, in what authorities were treating as the latest jihadist attack to rock the country.

Shortly afterwards, Mahathir -- who was prime minister of Muslim-majority Malaysia until his government collapsed in February -- launched an extraordinary outburst on Twitter.

Referring to the beheading of a French teacher who showed pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, Mahathir said he did not approve of that attack but that freedom of expression does not include "insulting other people".

"Irrespective of the religion professed, angry people kill," said the outspoken 95-year-old, who has in the past drawn controversy for remarks attacking Jews and the LGBT community.

"The French in the course of their history has killed millions of people. Many were Muslims. Muslims have a right to be angry and to kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past."

This whole thing is tragically funny. Freedom of expression doesn't include insulting other people but it does seemingly include wishing for the death of millions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

"Irrespective of the religion professed, angry people kill," said the outspoken 95-year-old, who has in the past drawn controversy for remarks attacking Jews and the LGBT community.
This guy sounds like a real gem. Victim blaming: always a good look.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

There's 95 year olds on Twitter? drat

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glah posted:

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201029-malaysian-ex-pm-mahathir-says-muslims-have-right-to-kill-french

This whole thing is tragically funny. Freedom of expression doesn't include insulting other people but it does seemingly include wishing for the death of millions.

thank you for keeping us informed about the dangers of islam op. that crazy 95 year old you quoted who said some crazy poo poo is definitely representative of all muslims.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

oliwan posted:

thank you for keeping us informed about the dangers of islam op. that crazy 95 year old you quoted who said some crazy poo poo is definitely representative of all muslims.

The ex-PM of Malaysia is a noteworthy figure when it comes with this kind of story.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

that crazy 95 year old you quoted who said some crazy poo poo is definitely representative of all muslims.
Of course not all Muslims. Vast majority of Muslims are cool and good. But it is representative of currents of thought in islamic extremism and how those currents affect people willing to behead people in the name Allah. Sadly this is a thing nowadays and we need to take into account when formulating policies.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Glah posted:

Of course not all Muslims. Vast majority of Muslims are cool and good. But it is representative of currents of thought in islamic extremism and how those currents affect people willing to behead people in the name Allah. Sadly this is a thing nowadays and we need to take into account when formulating policies.
Finding data on this kind of thing is really hard. So far I've only found one poll: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31293196

quote:

The majority of British Muslims oppose violence against people who publish images depicting the Prophet Muhammad, a poll for the BBC suggests.

The survey also indicates most have no sympathy with those who want to fight against Western interests.

But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

Almost 80% said they had found it deeply offensive when images depicting the Prophet were published.
Granted that's only one country, but it certainly seems like

oliwan posted:

99.9999% of muslims don't care if you draw pictures of Muhammad, hth ops
is probably super, super wrong.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

oliwan posted:

There's bad takes, and then there's whatever this is.

Mahathir Mohamad spent 25 years as the leader of the largest Muslim-majority country on the planet, and was running it's government as late as March of this year. His words have huge influence, and he represents an enormous amount of people. His opinions can be safely assumed to reflect a significant amount of his citizens.

Stepping away from the former PM himself, it's saddening to see this language come from a country that was historically cited as one of the most moderate majority-Muslim states which successfully governed a plurality of beliefs, until it began enacting hard-right legislation governed by theocratic policies in recent years.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo this forum is terrible

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Nilbop posted:

Mahathir Mohamad spent 25 years as the leader of the largest Muslim-majority country on the planet, and was running it's government as late as March of this year. His words have huge influence, and he represents an enormous amount of people. His opinions can be safely assumed to reflect a significant amount of his citizens.

Stepping away from the former PM himself, it's saddening to see this language come from a country that was historically cited as one of the most moderate majority-Muslim states which successfully governed a plurality of beliefs, until it began enacting hard-right legislation governed by theocratic policies in recent years.

:thunk:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Mahathir Mohamad spent 25 years as the leader of the largest Muslim-majority country on the planet
Pretty sure that's Indonesia, not Malaysia. Malaysia's only like 30m people.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Are you thinking of Indonesia?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I live in Berlin-Kreuzberg, I thought this was the largest muslim-majority country in the world

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

D'oh! I offer my sincerest apologies, I mixed up Indonesia and Malaysia.

My thoughts about the relevance of the former PM remain, feel free to mock or ignore my statement about the largest Muslim-majority state or Indonesia's recent swing to the religious right.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nilbop posted:

My thoughts about the relevance of the former PM remain, feel free to mock or ignore my statement about the largest Muslim-majority state or Indonesia's recent swing to the religious right.

Thanks op, I will indeed ignore it because it is dumb as hell and I don't want to rot my brain.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Nilbop posted:

It just comes across that you have no idea what you're writing about, sorry op

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm just happy to correct oliwan's insane statement that the man who lead a country for 25 years was "some random 95 year old dude."

I mixed up my country's in my post and apologized. Mea culpa.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nilbop posted:

I'm just happy to correct oliwan's insane statement that the man who lead a country for 25 years was "some random 95 year old dude."

I don't think you are qualified to correct anyone on anything and I think you should stop posting

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i feel as though there are valid educational reasons to show the caricatures in a classroom, though it should obviously be handled sensitively

erdogan lashing out at france over this poo poo only serves him, macron and le pen though, a lot of the international outrage here seems ginned up

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nilbop posted:

Nice quote marks op, only I never said that he was "some random 95 year old dude". maybe work on your reading comprehension and then maybe your horrible opinions will improve as well?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

oliwan posted:

Thanks op, I will indeed ignore it because it is dumb as hell and I don't want to rot my brain.

A compelling argument.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

A man who's led his country for 25 years is probably at least a little bit representative of that country. That's my horrible opinion.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Eagerly awaiting calls to stop being best friends for life with the Saudi regime from all the Serious Right Wing Politicians who are Concerned About Islamic Extremism and Terrorism.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Eagerly awaiting calls to stop being best friends for life with the Saudi regime from all the Serious Right Wing Politicians who are Concerned About Islamic Extremism and Terrorism.

Just wondering why the European liberals got all outraged only now and circle the wagon on Islamophobia, and have whistled nervously as Western allies did literal genocide in Yemen. Though this is a bit beside the point being discussed, I admit, an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Macron and Erdogan are both trying to play us in exactly the same way. gently caress them both.

Our enemy is the far right who try to convince us we should fight eachother over superficial differences and delusions of racial, religious or national superiority. Our enemy is also the so called moderate right who will use the tragedies created by those radicalized by this scum to distract us from their disastrous economic and nationalist policies which create the preconditions for that radicalization in the first place.

mortons stork posted:

Just wondering why the European liberals got all outraged only now and circle the wagon on Islamophobia, and have whistled nervously as Western allies did literal genocide in Yemen. Though this is a bit beside the point being discussed, I admit, an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Because European liberals do not give a singular gently caress about the values they espouse to be the core of their political identity. "Nie wieder" is the biggest lie the West has ever told itself, and we are still so goddamn proud of it.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 29, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Devil posted:

Macron and Erdogan are both trying to play us in exactly the same way. gently caress them both.

Our enemy is the far right who try to convince us we should fight eachother over superficial differences and delusions of racial, religious or national superiority. Our enemy is also the so called moderate right who will use the tragedies created by those radicalized by this scum to distract us from their disastrous economic and nationalist policies which create the preconditions for that radicalization in the first place.

Because European liberals do not give a singular gently caress about the values they espouse to be the core of their political identity.

Do you count centrists and liberals as the so called moderate right? Because otherwise they bear mentioning op.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Orange Devil posted:

Even the Danish People's Party were proud of the country housing a British-owned firm supplying mass surveillance to the Wahhabist, journalist-vivisecting hellstate that still beheads people for sorcery and crucified someone as late as 2019. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Even the Danish People's Party were proud of the country housing a British-owned firm supplying mass surveillance to the Wahhabist, journalist-vivisecting hellstate that still beheads people for sorcery and crucified someone as late as 2019. :buddy:

Money is their only God.