Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there a mod that removes the random fire particles a bunch of spells seem to have for no reason? Seems like crit plus, damage up and concentrated light are the big offenders for me. I'd always end up on fire if I used those for a while or did some stupid op poo poo with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Saw the Chain Bolt spell for the first time today, and it rules. I slapped it on the end of a Luminous Drill w Timer and it is amazing in the Hiisi Base, you can just poke it through a wall and let the Chain Bolt take care of anything on the other side.

https://i.imgur.com/lSTMI0R.mp4

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Gotta love those deaths where you can see it coming a mile away but for some reason you just can't stop yourself from moving directly towards death

https://i.imgur.com/7q0cage.mp4

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Speaking of Steve, here's a mod that apparently spawns him OUTSIDE the workshop, which should let you edit in peace before inevitably having to face him anyway. Dunno if it works with 1.0, but might be worth a try:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009444774

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think it's mostly just that the vanilla game caters to a very specific kind of player, and statistically speaking, odds are that you aren't that kind of player. I don't think you'll be ruining your experience by using the more popular mods; far from it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think that the only one that could be argued to be integral is the mod to turn off angering the gods. The game has tons of random quick deaths, but honestly most of the time you can think to yourself "oh, if only I'd done XYZ, I wouldn't have died there." Yeah occasionally some enemy will grab a nuke wand and there's nothing you could have done to stop it, but that's very rare in my experience, happening maybe once out of every several dozen runs. The gods randomly getting angered is completely different in my opinion, since it happens fairly often and you'll rarely have any idea what even caused it. I've had the gods get angered before I even reach the first holy mountain before!

Other than that though, I don't think any other mods are mandatory / integral to the game. Edit Wands Anywhere is very popular and I can see why, but I prefer playing without it. Starting loadouts are popular to help add more variety to the early game.

I added Goki and tinkered around some more. I agree that it is nice to have the flexibility, but curious if some mod features will be incorporated at some point as official

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's fun to anger the gods intentionally and try to just jump past steve to kick the statue at him, it's a bunch of free money too and if you don't pick up the full health before you do it you can also heal afterwards if you screwed up a bit. I mean, it's a fun way to spice up a run if you spawn with acid or find black holes on the first floor I guess.

Take this from a guy with 600 deaths and 0 wins.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The biggest problem with machinegunning Steve is having no digging wand and having to kick the bone dust out of the way.

Yesterday I nearly got soft-locked due to lava blood in the coal mines. Flies chased me into a narrow hallway and their blood ended up blocking the exit. Had to use my torch wand to burn through one of those snaking wooden beam treasure troves, ended up with a quintuple-cast bomb wand and blew myself up trying to make an exit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I found out the hard way tonight not to use Cursed Sphere without lightning immunity

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I have run past the spawn when angering the gods, then collapse the room on Steve when he spawns. You have to do it right when the warning appears though. It works most of the time to kill him outright. Then I dig through and get the stuff I want.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I remember the run when I did very well, then suddenly a worm went straight through one of the pools in the hidden temple, angered the gods and promptly summoned Steve. I didn't even have a chance to get through it quickly, it appeared pretty much immediately after entering the temple.

I don't really understand why won't the devs fix it, the game pretty much rolling the dice if it's going to spawn a powerful enemy in a supposed safe place seems the opposite of fun in my opinion.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I checked out the goki mod thing, but until I start finding the base game options stale it seems a bit bloated to be much use for me.

Tinker anywhere is really handy for new players, but honestly if there was a "strip this wand for parts" button that just pulled the spells to your inventory that would work just as well. The main thing it lets me avoid is worrying about taking single utility wands (like rainclouds, bombs when its your only digging, etc) and not having to judge if new wands I find justify giving those up. The game doesn't pause inside the inventory so its not that useful to try to build anything mid-level unless your stuff is just not working at all, in which case its fairly handy.

The random start option under mods is pretty nice, letting the early levels play out differently instead of being the exact same thing each time. The average strength is definitely higher, but the starts are all fairly different instead of having (usually) 3 flavors of slightly different pew-pew shots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

honestly if there was a "strip this wand for parts" button that just pulled the spells to your inventory that would work just as well

Goki's mod has an option that does exactly that. Kick spells from wands under game modifiers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dis astranagant posted:

Goki's mod has an option that does exactly that. Kick spells from wands under game modifiers.

beginning to think i'm going to want to install goki's before I even get a 1.0 win :v:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I put on a health regen mod and cranked it up so I could actually make some progress, until I got a giant sawblade splitter spell and they all homed back in on me on the first shot and killed me.

How are you getting these amazing wands? I get that it's random but I each run I get "shoots 1 or maybe 5 dynamite" or "repeater spell", sometimes with always casting an acid/fire trail. One time I got one that only shot wind, I'm going to get "always edit wands" to see if I can construct something better for myself.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think its a lot of getting an intuitive feeling for the wand stats translating into usability. I almost wish there were quantized beginner labels of "D, C, B, A, S Tier" or "1-5 stars" for each of the significant stat rolls in addition to the hard numbers. Also their interplay isn't immediately obvious when it comes to the wand parser's intricacies. Some initial assumptions of "more spells/modifiers = better" or "bigger/more expensive spells = more boom" can lead you down wrong paths.

Of course "learning the finer details of the (often obscure) mechanics to exploit later by harsh trial and error" is very much a genre staple.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A relatively easy way to make fun wands is to find a non-shuffle with low cast and recharge values and then drop spells in there that decrease those values even more, like chainsaws. Add some basic spell on it for chaingun.

Then experiment with adding projectile modifiers like fire, acid, gunpowder trail or something similar. If your main spell has a trigger, add something explosive behind it.

If you want a real easy way to get a Fun Wand, take the "Always Cast" perk with your fastest wand equipped. If it rolls something explosive chaingun at your own risk.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Found a couple of interesting wands yesterday. One was essentially a shotgun, and the other allowed me to charge up a shot that then exploded into a dozen smaller, bouncing shots. Both were decent but didn't have amazing fire rates, or that much mana.

And then I got a perk that massively increased both the fire rate and mana regen of all my wands.

https://i.imgur.com/CykYN0f.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ASCRD6e.mp4

I could literally hold down the fire button on both and never run out of mana. Just spamming death everywhere. Slapping on the napalm explosion modifier on the charge wand proved to be a mistake, I burned/exploded myself to death a few minutes later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The shotgun spell is very versatile because it chains very well, also it doesn't hurt you, also it can dig through most terrain in a pinch, so it makes a very good spam spell. Or you can multi cast it and make it into a boomstick. Also playing with spread modifiers works too.

Very good spell to modify, and has a good trajectory too.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I learned yesterday just having lightning on a wand and being in water is a death sentence, good to know. How do people handle the tanks on the frozen level? I feel like I have to have just the right configuration of wands to even have a chance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Shotgun is also really nice for putting modifiers on because the modifiers apply to each projectile, so e.g. a Damage Up modifier is +5 damage to each pellet instead of to the three-pellet shot as a whole.

Cancelbot posted:

How are you getting these amazing wands? I get that it's random but I each run I get "shoots 1 or maybe 5 dynamite" or "repeater spell", sometimes with always casting an acid/fire trail. One time I got one that only shot wind, I'm going to get "always edit wands" to see if I can construct something better for myself.

Part of it is learning how to craft good wands, part of it is luck, and part of it is where you go. Wands get better (higher max mana, regen rate, and spell capacity) as you go to more dangerous zones. I'd wager that most of the players showing off ridiculous combowands in the Snowy Depths made a detour to the Fungal Caves to the left of the Coal Pits. This is a very dangerous zone but it has wands that are of a similar quality as you'd get two zones later in the game, so if you're careful you can get a head start on setting up your combos.

There's two major categories of crafted wand: machineguns and trigger wands. A machinegun is a wand that can spam out spells very quickly. In particular, if you can get the wand's recharge time down to 0 and it only casts 1 spell, then it will cast that 1 spell at something like 1 cast per frame. For example, say you have a no-shuffle wand with a recharge time of .3s. You put these spells on it:

Triple cast -> bouncing bolt -> chainsaw -> chainsaw

The chainsaws reduce the recharge time of the wand by IIRC .17s apiece. Net result: a wand that flings out bouncing bolts extremely quickly. Put some modifiers on those bolts and you could do serious damage even though each individual projectile is puny.

If your wand has low cast times then you can also get fairly high net fire rates on a shuffle wand. Sometimes you can get a wand with a cast time of 0, or you can get spells that have reduced cast time on them and slap a bunch on a wand, and that can also drive up your fire rate substantially.

Trigger wands are pretty simple:

Spell with trigger -> bunch of modifiers -> multicast -> bunch of projectiles

For example,

Spark Bolt With Trigger -> Damage Up -> Triple Cast -> Shotgun -> Shotgun -> Shotgun

You tag your target with the spark bolt, and 9 shotgun pellets appear in their face, all with +5 damage on them. This kind of wand can shred most enemies in one or two shots, but it's poor against enemies with shields as it tends to have a lower fire rate. It also requires unshuffled wands with large capacities, and a few fairly specific spells (high-speed trigger spells and multicasts, mostly), to really get going.

syntaxrigger posted:

I learned yesterday just having lightning on a wand and being in water is a death sentence, good to know. How do people handle the tanks on the frozen level? I feel like I have to have just the right configuration of wands to even have a chance.

Machines are very resistant to slice damage, but explosions work well on them. Got some fireworks, dynamite, or (ideally) magic missiles?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

syntaxrigger posted:

I hate those fuckers, last time I used a bolt with trigger + sea of acid right above ones head. The acid of course then melted its way through the temple, steve appeared and murdered my face after I tried to drop more acid on him. I maintain it was worth it.

For another fun time, acid trail + bouncy balls is never not fun :v:

edit:

https://i.imgur.com/b451wHy.mp4

Tried to be fancy with telekinetic kick, with predictable results

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 29, 2020

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Shotgun is also really nice for putting modifiers on because the modifiers apply to each projectile, so e.g. a Damage Up modifier is +5 damage to each pellet instead of to the three-pellet shot as a whole.

Part of it is learning how to craft good wands, part of it is luck, and part of it is where you go. Wands get better (higher max mana, regen rate, and spell capacity) as you go to more dangerous zones. I'd wager that most of the players showing off ridiculous combowands in the Snowy Depths made a detour to the Fungal Caves to the left of the Coal Pits. This is a very dangerous zone but it has wands that are of a similar quality as you'd get two zones later in the game, so if you're careful you can get a head start on setting up your combos.

There's two major categories of crafted wand: machineguns and trigger wands. A machinegun is a wand that can spam out spells very quickly. In particular, if you can get the wand's recharge time down to 0 and it only casts 1 spell, then it will cast that 1 spell at something like 1 cast per frame. For example, say you have a no-shuffle wand with a recharge time of .3s. You put these spells on it:

Triple cast -> bouncing bolt -> chainsaw -> chainsaw

The chainsaws reduce the recharge time of the wand by IIRC .17s apiece. Net result: a wand that flings out bouncing bolts extremely quickly. Put some modifiers on those bolts and you could do serious damage even though each individual projectile is puny.

If your wand has low cast times then you can also get fairly high net fire rates on a shuffle wand. Sometimes you can get a wand with a cast time of 0, or you can get spells that have reduced cast time on them and slap a bunch on a wand, and that can also drive up your fire rate substantially.

Trigger wands are pretty simple:

Spell with trigger -> bunch of modifiers -> multicast -> bunch of projectiles

For example,

Spark Bolt With Trigger -> Damage Up -> Triple Cast -> Shotgun -> Shotgun -> Shotgun

You tag your target with the spark bolt, and 9 shotgun pellets appear in their face, all with +5 damage on them. This kind of wand can shred most enemies in one or two shots, but it's poor against enemies with shields as it tends to have a lower fire rate. It also requires unshuffled wands with large capacities, and a few fairly specific spells (high-speed trigger spells and multicasts, mostly), to really get going.

Machines are very resistant to slice damage, but explosions work well on them. Got some fireworks, dynamite, or (ideally) magic missiles?

That is useful thanks! I probably need to just be more careful in the early stages and venture out into the dangerous zones more. This game triggers my Castlevania SotN confidence and I DO NOT have the skills to back it up currently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Update!

quote:

FEATURE: A new (WIP) challenge awaits you
FEATURE: New perk: Exploding gold
FEATURE: New perk: Faster projectiles
FEATURE: New perk: Remove worm and lukki digging
FEATURE: New perk: Extra wand slots
FEATURE: New perk: Teleportitis Dodge
FEATURE: New perk: High mana, low capacity
FEATURE: New perk: Homunculus
FEATURE: New spell: Quantum Split
FEATURE: New spell: Chain spell
FEATURE: New spell: Wand refresh
FEATURE: New spell: Mu
FEATURE: New spell: Larpa explosion
FEATURE: New spell: Larpa bounce
FEATURE: New enemy: Haavoittajamestari
FEATURE: New enemy: Sätkymestari
FEATURE: New item: Kammi
FEATURE: New stream event: Summon Random Homunculus
FEATURE: New stream event: Spawn perk
FEATURE: New stream event: Give Perks To Enemies
FEATURE: New stream event: Extreme Spread
FEATURE: New stream event: Matter Eater
FEATURE: New stream event: Excess Gas
FEATURE: New stream event: Summon Shielding Ghost
FEATURE: New stream event: Personal Invisibility
FEATURE: New stream event: Invisible Enemies
FEATURE: New stream event: Neutralized Spells

UPDATE: Updated to FMOD 2.0 audio engine
UPDATE: Added more variation to some spells sounds
UPDATE: Improved audio mix when using loud or high cast rate wands
UPDATE: Made unstable crystal destroy ground better
UPDATE: Made some end-level spells more expensive
UPDATE: Familiars spawned from eggs area bit more useful (maybe)
UPDATE: Certain rare wands hold more spells
UPDATE: The Hiisi have a new weakness
UPDATE: New Game+ boss is bit more difficult
UPDATE: "Install streaming integration mods" links to the category page on Steam Workshop
UPDATE: Remove Worm Digging also affects lukki digging
UPDATE: Ancient Laboratory has a new danger for you
UPDATE: Removed raincloud from the starting wand pool, added unstable crystal to replace it
UPDATE: Made several previously non-stackable perks stackable
UPDATE: Made spells that deal with recursion be able to stack up to a point
UPDATE: Changed "Extra wand slots" to "Extra wand capacity"
UPDATE: Made Destruction's downside a bit less severe

BUGFIX: Fixed certain spells not seemingly duplicating properly
BUGFIX: Hopefully fixed issues with certain new spells and their interactions with infite-cast spells
BUGFIX: Friendsip is now friendship, as it should be
BUGFIX: Made certain overworld areas not overly dark during daytime
BUGFIX: Fixed an item not updating its description
BUGFIX: Desert water evaporated too fast
BUGFIX: Lava appeared out of nowhere in some places
BUGFIX: Several spells ignored limited uses of other spells
BUGFIX: Certain sprites had the wrong info on them
BUGFIX: Destroying lanterns and some other objects counted towards 'Enemies slain'
BUGFIX: A tank enemy had wrong laser sight color
BUGFIX: Fixed a cause of audio stuttering when using high cast rate wands
BUGFIX: Summon portal spell worked anywhere
BUGFIX: Fixed typo in Chain spell spawn level
BUGFIX: Fixed certain spells not seemingly duplicating properly
BUGFIX/Modding: Fixed very large biome areas not working

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some of these changes were in the beta builds and it'll be cool to see them more often in streams now!

(If you didn't know, you can opt into the beta branch for the Steam version under Properties)

Though, uh,

quote:

UPDATE: New Game+ boss is bit more difficult
:stare: It already had trillions of HP and required some pretty crafty wands in a NG+++ 33 orb run so I'm curious how they made it even worse

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
New Hisii weakness?

One of the new enemies is a mage with a horrible flesh blob for a head, haven't seen what it does yet

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw the homunculus perk for the first time so decided to take. There was a cool looking wand in the next level but the homunculus went over and grabbed it first, which I was not expecting. The wand had Eldritch Portal on it, so that went about as well as you'd expect.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

beginning to think i'm going to want to install goki's before I even get a 1.0 win :v:

It's pretty much a one stop shop for tuning the game as you see fit. Hate shuffle wands? There's an option for that. Hate the massive poo poo they took in the perk pool in 1.0? Turn off the ones you don't want to see. Want less samey starter wands? There's several flavors to try.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cancelbot posted:

I put on a health regen mod and cranked it up so I could actually make some progress, until I got a giant sawblade splitter spell and they all homed back in on me on the first shot and killed me.

I can't hope to top Too Much Abstraction's great post, so lemme just add some extra tips I've found useful:

- Try not to think of wands as one whole package, but rather two different halves that you can make use of. The first half are the spells on the wand itself - think about the spells on the wand and how you could use them in other wands. Chances are the wands you find in the wild aren't going to have a good spell setup, but they'll likely have 1-2 spells that are worth slapping onto other wands. Think about what kind of spell you want to add to the wands you're currently using, and then look for similar spells on other wands.
- The other half to pay attention to is the wand itself - compare the stats of the wands you find in the wild to the wands you're currently using and see if it's worth stripping the spells off the wands and moving your current setup to the new wand. What stats are "good" or not depends on what kind of wand you're trying to make, but some light rules of thumb:
  • Shuffle - No shuffle is better, but having a shuffle wand isn't the end of the world depending on your wand. If your wand depends on a specific order (such as trigger bolt > shotgun blast) then shuffle is a no-no, but if it's just a general pew pew wand then shuffle is probably fine
  • Spells/Cast - more is almost always better, but it can be awkward if the wand has a high recharge rate. While more is better, the priority for this is fairly low.
  • Cast Delay - I like to keep this under maybe 0.5, though if the wand is built around pumping out a single strong spell then this doesn't matter as much as Recharge Time. If the wand is more for digging with explosives or black holes or whatever, neither this or Recharge Time matter much
  • Recharge Time - I try to keep this under 1s
  • Max Mana - Really you only NEED as much mana as your spells cost, but it's helpful to have plenty more so that you don't need to wait for it to recharge. Generally wands tend to balance Max Mana with Mana Regen - wands with very high max mana tend to have very low mana regen, and vice versa. You generally want enough mana + regen so that you won't run out before killing an enemy or two.
  • Mana Regen - see above. For my general-use damage wand, I want enough mana regen to refill the wand in at most only 3-4 seconds - any longer and it's not likely to be full in between combat encounters, or I can't dip out to refill a wand in the middle of a combat encounter.
  • Capacity - You want enough space to cast what you want, but honestly don't need much more than that. 5-8 slots tend to be plenty enough for most wands, often wands won't have enough mana to support more than that. Although if the wand does, go hog wild.
  • Spread - The importance of this varies with what spells you're using. If your wand mostly uses rapidfire spells, shotgun spells, explosives, etc, then it's not very important. If you're going for more long-range spells or spells that trigger into more spells, then you really need solid spread, preferably under 4 or 5.
- Unrelated to the above, but you can stack up multicasts. The basic way to use a multicast is Spark Bolt w Trigger > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Spell. You can stack them by replacing one of those spells with another multicast, and then loading up more spells after it. So Spark Bolt w Trigger > Triplecast > Spell > Spell > Doublecast > Spell Spell. You can stack these as much as you have capacity and mana to support it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

FEATURE: New item: Kammi

Fun fact: a kammi is an earthen hut built partly (mostly roof) with peat.

Although I kinda wonder how it would fit into being an "item" here!

e: Also getting yourself decapitated with the gigablade is kinda one of the many "That's Noita!" experiences you learn. One I frequently see is "I didn't realize the bomb explosion radius on Berserkium was THAT large."

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 29, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Fun fact: a kammi is an earthen hut built partly (mostly roof) with peat.

From the news post: We fortnite now.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

TeaJay posted:

It works like this, it's a cool effect! I wonder if you can throw the item to trap enemies in it.

https://twitter.com/nollagames/status/1321845851233439747

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So in fact it works exactly like it actually is. That's great!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TeaJay posted:

So in fact it works exactly like it actually is. That's great!

So the hut comes with an explosive box in real life? Pretty neat.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

FEATURE: New perk: Remove worm and lukki digging

Well, guess you can stop the spiders digging into the temple and angering the gods now. Masterful troll move making people waste a perk slot to stop it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
One noteworthy footnote to Codfish’s cool and good effortpost is that wands still regenerate mana when they’re not being held, but recharge time is counted only when you’re actually holding the wand. For this reason I usually find I can live with low mana/good regen/low recharge time and have 2-3 attack wands to flip between while the empty ones regain mana, but anything with a recharge time over 1 second I try to avoid using offensively if at all possible.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well, guess you can stop the spiders digging into the temple and angering the gods now. Masterful troll move making people waste a perk slot to stop it.

I mean, it’s pretty obvious just from the game design that the devs aren’t big fans of players :haw:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 29, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's the kind of thing that would make dual-wielding wands really fun, especially since the right mouse button isn't used for anything (with wands) right now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

So the hut comes with an explosive box in real life? Pretty neat.

The wilderness can be dangerous, 's all I'm saying

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Above the mountain at the beginning of the game there's a floating platform. If you leave a tablet there it will disappear and give you an insignificant amount of gold while also having a chance to spawn a bunch of late game enemies which will probably kill you.

Also you can throw it at enemies to do a bunch of damage. Can be good for dealing with difficult enemies at the start of the game.
Ive been there and now i have something to do there.

Still havent beaten the game! Black hole is the only spell for me

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eric the Mauve posted:

One noteworthy footnote to Codfish’s cool and good effortpost is that wands still regenerate mana when they’re not being held, but recharge time is counted only when you’re actually holding the wand. For this reason I usually find I can live with low mana/good regen/low recharge time and have 2-3 attack wands to flip between while the empty ones regain mana, but anything with a recharge time over 1 second I try to avoid using offensively if at all possible.

I mean, it’s pretty obvious just from the game design that the devs aren’t big fans of players :haw:

This is a recent-ish change. Back when I last played in beta, mana didn't regen unless you were holding the wand, so those "1000 max mana 5 mana regen" wands were painfully useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dis astranagant posted:

It's pretty much a one stop shop for tuning the game as you see fit. Hate shuffle wands? There's an option for that. Hate the massive poo poo they took in the perk pool in 1.0? Turn off the ones you don't want to see. Want less samey starter wands? There's several flavors to try.

I installed it and turned off everything except the "treasure hunter" class loadout for now, and I'm already real happy. Digging limited by mana instead of charges, right from the word go, is so much more fun

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 29, 2020