Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Twitter reporting is that everyone at Hoop-Dee-Doo, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo have been canned.

What a fuckin bloodbath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh drat.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Citizens of Main Street as well.

This round of layoffs is a loving gut punch. I found out via a post from Rob Lott, my favorite Six-Bits, on instagram. gently caress everything

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 28, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Wow, what is even left? Terrible news for those affected.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So rip all entertainment?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bottom Liner posted:

So rip all entertainment?

Screens don’t get paid equity, boyo

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Screens don’t get paid equity, boyo

Right now they also don't breathe.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

Twitter reporting is that everyone at Hoop-Dee-Doo, Festival of the Lion King, and Finding Nemo have been canned.

What a fuckin bloodbath

from what I've heard it's a lay-off, not a firing, so it's basically suspended without pay until it's safe to bring that stuff back.

(please bring it back when there's a vaccine)

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

from what I've heard it's a lay-off, not a firing, so it's basically suspended without pay until it's safe to bring that stuff back.

(please bring it back when there's a vaccine)

I really hope they bring these back, I never heard about Hoop-Dee-Doo until just after my last WDW trip, so it was a definite must-do for my next time at the parks... whenever that may be!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

hoop-dee-doo is really nice at Christmas, hopefully they bring them back. but it will be awhile. DL Paris just closed again apparently.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

DL Paris just closed again apparently.

I just keep hoping they close WDW because I'm all of a state away and people just keep dying.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just keep hoping they close WDW because I'm all of a state away and people just keep dying.

It's safer than the grocery store!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alg posted:

Have you been to a grocery store and a Disney park lately?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

alg posted:

It sure as hell is

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Oh are we doing this argument again?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Hoop-Dee-Doo would presumably be a safe bet to come back because it makes it own money. Everything else, though, depends on how charitable you feel about the company and whether they know what makes the parks The Parks. In the middle of very good times we were seeing live entertainment sliding.

I want to say Festival and Finding Nemo are locks since they have their own giant buildings, have fair capacity, and are accordingly more likely to be seen as keystone entertainment (Festival moreso than Finding Nemo, since its space is purpose built), but who knows. And it's hard to feel particularly confident about things like the Citizens, which are decidedly on the margins. Laying off imagineers speaks to a willingness to borrow against the future of the parks that I'm not entirely sure about.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 29, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If festival and nemo don’t come back they will need something that can soak up a comparable amount of people out of the park and I doubt they will build a new attraction before they reopen the parks so I’d say it’s a lock those come back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Oh are we doing this argument again?

You're the one encouraging people to go to a theme park with low, low prices during a pandemic.

Boxman posted:

Hoop-Dee-Doo would presumably be a safe bet to come back because it makes it own money. Everything else, though, depends on how charitable you feel about the company and whether they know what makes the parks The Parks. In the middle of very good times we were seeing live entertainment sliding.

I want to say Festival and Finding Nemo are locks since they have their own giant buildings, have fair capacity, and are accordingly more likely to be seen as keystone entertainment (Festival moreso than Finding Nemo, since its space is purpose built), but who knows. And it's hard to feel particularly confident about things like the Citizens, which are decidedly on the margins. Laying off imagineers speaks to a willingness to borrow against the future of the parks that I'm not entirely sure about.

Dren posted:

If festival and nemo don’t come back they will need something that can soak up a comparable amount of people out of the park and I doubt they will build a new attraction before they reopen the parks so I’d say it’s a lock those come back.

I'd be surprised if Hoop and FOTLK don't reappear. Finding Nemo's building was not built for it like the other two were. Pioneer Hall has always had Hoop (I'm almost positive) and FOTLK's theater was literally built for it, etc. Finding Nemo's building was Tarzan Rocks and Jungle Book? I think? before that. As much as I love the Finding Nemo show, of the three, that's the one I'd assume is dead permanently. You can always stuff something else in there. And, to be honest, a cool new Moana show would be a great fit since you're heading into Asia. It'd be a neat little nod to Polynesia's global positioning.

This is assuming any of these are permanently dead. If there's a vaccine this year, who knows? We might see them back before terribly long.

Citizens is almost certainly a goner or will come back in extremely reduced capacity if it does come back, and that makes me pretty sad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You're the one encouraging people to go to a theme park with low, low prices during a pandemic.

That's somewhat harsh. I don't know their financial situation but her commission right now might be the only thing keeping their household going.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

That's somewhat harsh. I don't know their financial situation but her commission right now might be the only thing keeping their household going.

Reminder: I also did travel agent work. I PA for someone involved with a certain theme park I keep complaining about. My funding is also somewhat tied to said theme park industry and my record speaks for itself. I cannot, under good conscience, remotely suggest people go to a place that exposes them and untold others by transmission when they get home to a potentially deadly virus.

I wouldn't have said anything if she hadn't snotted "are we doing this again" because yeah, the pandemic is getting worse again. because people are doing dumb things. and we still don't have a vaccine.

I get that she may need to make cash. That doesn't mean cheerfully suggesting things that might make people sick. If she is in dire straits, goodness knows I will be the first one to flood her PM box with WFH stuff because I've done it the past nearly 20 years now and I have a ton of things to suggest. (this goes for any of you no matter how much you dislike my big mouth, I will gladly try to help if I can)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

If the world were avoiding the plague like the plague, I think Disney would be a bad idea. Right now, the bar is unfortunately really low, and in many places people are often taking action to actively spread covid. My family tells me that masks required signs are rarely enforced in the Orlando area, social distancing isn't really a thing, bars are packed, etc. Disney is unfortunately setting a better example than most other places, and that is having a positive influence on people. Disney taking it slightly seriously, at least enough to actually enforce masks, is probably a factor in some of my family wearing masks more often outside of Disney, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's doing more elsewhere.

People look to authority in times of crisis, and in some states the actual government authority is sending mixed signals. Years of marketing and indoctrination has also better established Disney as more of an authority in some people's eyes than the government.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

Thankfully, no, my commission or lack thereof isn't hurting us financially but I do have to keep up my sales numbers if I'd like to stay at my current level of benefits. Which I do, because some day I would like to travel again.

And I "snotted" it because we have hashed this out at least 3 times already. People feel how they want to feel about travel during a pandemic. I think everyone in here has made their opinions known about whether or not they feel like people should travel or not. Why rehash?

I am not encouraging anyone to travel who does not want to do so. If you want to go, it's on you. That said, I have always announced here when there is a Disney discount. I didn't make a sales pitch. I just said "hey, there's a good deal." What you do with that information is up to you. If you don't want to go, don't go. If you do want to go and you want a TA to work with, fine, happy to help. But it's not like I'm out here saying "If you book with me, I'll give you a gift card! Here's a freebie! PLEASE BOOK A TRIP."

I don't need any WFH handouts. I'm just doing my job, which unfortunately, sucks a lot right now.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Mentioning a travel discount that currently is up for travel next year is hardly begging folks to travel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Reminder: I also did travel agent work. I PA for someone involved with a certain theme park I keep complaining about. My funding is also somewhat tied to said theme park industry and my record speaks for itself. I cannot, under good conscience, remotely suggest people go to a place that exposes them and untold others by transmission when they get home to a potentially deadly virus.

I wouldn't have said anything if she hadn't snotted "are we doing this again" because yeah, the pandemic is getting worse again. because people are doing dumb things. and we still don't have a vaccine.

I get that she may need to make cash. That doesn't mean cheerfully suggesting things that might make people sick. If she is in dire straits, goodness knows I will be the first one to flood her PM box with WFH stuff because I've done it the past nearly 20 years now and I have a ton of things to suggest. (this goes for any of you no matter how much you dislike my big mouth, I will gladly try to help if I can)

Man, shut up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In other news

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1321852810061905925?s=21

quote:

Engwall asked Temple why she had a gun at Disney World.

“I had told my son to hold it for me and stand right here" while she went to get her brother to take the purse and gun back to the car, the report quotes Temple as saying.

Great mom.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

loaded and with one in the chamber. Georgia as gently caress

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

chitoryu12 posted:

Man, shut up.

She's right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just got an email about changes to the ROR virtual queue starting November 3:

"Guests with a valid ticket or pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system starting 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation to check for an available boarding group. This can be done before you leave your Resort hotel or wherever else you happen to be nearby at that time.

Just as we do today, a second round of virtual queue inventory will still be released at 2 p.m., to anyone who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day.

For people who receive a later boarding time or are waiting for the second round of virtual queue inventory, we encourage them to take their time in getting to the park. Go back to sleep, have breakfast, check out the pool and relax a bit before journeying over to Disney's Hollywood Studios."

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 29, 2020

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I hope they keep that as long as boarding groups are a thing. I didn't get enough sleep the week of my trip in The Before Times because of having to be in the park to try for a group.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Capacity improvements for Rise:

https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1321898596522954755?s=21

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

That is such a weird way to route the queue, but you gotta do what you gotta do in these weird rear end times, I guess. Haunted Mansion's line consistently goes to Frontierland and then back to the actual Mansion entrance most days, and it doesn't have any sort of help via Virtual Queue.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That is so freaking weird.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I’ll be testing it out in two weeks. Curious to see the improvement. I’ve done walk up reservations from my resort room and that was honestly wonderful.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8_VmWWRJgE

Skynet came from Disney.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Doubled eye AA is what we need to turn MNSSHP in a true HHN

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Disney finally catching up to the robots of Daft Punk

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
New boarding pass system for ROR worked fine this morning. 7am and 15-20 seconds in and got group 38.

edit: And for the goon asking about lightsaber parts, Savi's does sell extra parts. $25 a pop or $20 a piece if you buy 2 or more. Dok Ondar's also has 2 new kyber crystals that turn your Holocron into a magic 8-ball. They'll have gold colored caps on the packaging.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 4, 2020

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I wonder what "nearby" means. My house is five minutes from property, do I gotta drive over or can I do it from home...

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tom Bricker says as long as you have a park pass for that day you can join the boarding group from anywhere. They've had people do it from 20 minutes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Five Nights at Freddy's fans have a lot to get excited over.