Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

:hellyeah:

This is what I want to see more of in this thread. Need more ideas for what to paint my mechs. I try to paint each one a different color.

I did a batch using nothing but GW Contrast paints as a generic camo. I'll post them later today. I am pretty happy with how it turned out for not a ton of work.

My WIP is an orange-grey-black lance that is off the resin printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Post more mechs!!!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DrPop posted:

Post more mechs!!!

Finished mechs.

WIP clan mechs.

Green test scheme mech. (I didn't like it)

Orange ink over zenithal highlight WIP. Not actually sure how this one is going to finish up. Though I've realized that mechs look way cooler a few feet away than they do 6 inches away.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Those look great! The cockpit on the Battlemaster looks particularly good. Well done!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Man, there’s a whole lot of stuff in this Kickstarter box. The Nova Cat logo looks real good as a pin.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
I got all of my Wave 1 stuff today. I backed at the Galaxy Commander level, so there is a pile of stuff. I will catch some pictures tomorrow to share :)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Finished up my first mini from the kickstarter, and started on another. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

(the incorrect Point Commander decal has been replaced with the correct Star Commander decal, I just don't have a more recent picture yet)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

(the incorrect Point Commander decal has been replaced with the correct Star Commander decal, I just don't have a more recent picture yet)

That's a good lookin mech. Were there decals included? I don't recall seeing any.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I don't think there were any transfers in the KS. But you can get them here: https://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/

I have some of their CJF ones and they're solid.

Very nice Dire Wolf!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DrPop posted:

I don't think there were any transfers in the KS. But you can get them here: https://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/

Very nice Dire Wolf!

Nice! I've been using leftovers from various 1/72 scale tanks and planes. My merc lances all sport 1941 era Soviet KV-1 decals.

Is there some rule that a Classic Battletech website still has to look like it was made on dial-up for a 2002 era Netscape Navigator Browser?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yooper posted:

Nice! I've been using leftovers from various 1/72 scale tanks and planes. My merc lances all sport 1941 era Soviet KV-1 decals.

Is there some rule that a Classic Battletech website still has to look like it was made on dial-up for a 2002 era Netscape Navigator Browser?

Yeah, it's gotta be some guidance handed down in a Harmony Gold lawsuit 20 years ago.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DrPop posted:

Very nice Dire Wolf!

Be patient, though, PGI is basically a one-man sidejob so it takes a while for orders to get filled.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPop posted:

Post more mechs!!!

Here's a bunch I've done over the years, with varying levels of quality.

Annihilator!

Archer!

Urbanmech with an Arrow IV

big bird and little bird

Aqua Lance, reporting in!

Catapult.

Big Crimson!

Cyclops!

Flea!

Griffin!

Highlander here to check your cable reception!

Jungle Lance, in the pipe 5 by five!

My big bubba Kodiak.

Mad Cat with a weird upward tilt.

Mad Cat shiny metal and gold edition

Black Hawk!

Shadow Hawk! Caw!

Bruin! Which I never get to use!

My two Wolfhounds together.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Very cool! Good variety.

https://fs.battletech.com/fiction/

Catalyst is doing a big sourcebook for Tukayyid instead of a short PDF as laid out by the Kickstarter. Lots of short fiction to go along with it. I'll get the sourcebook because of the camospecs stuff alone, which you can see in the KS update about the sourcebook here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion/posts/3000876

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Greatest battle in history" is quite the exaggeration though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That book has gotta be a must-buy for me. Will be a great follow-up when I finally get to finish my homebrew 3050 campaign.

I also started making a newspaper as some in-universe lore for the events in the campaign I'm running:

Fun stuff so far. Next scenario is gonna take place on two maps simultaneously - one in an underground fighting arena, and the other up top inside the walls of the "Pleasure Dome" - which is basically a circular version of the Vegas Strip.

Also here's a spaceport map I hacked together in Illustrator, with a bunch of 3d printed terrain I slapped on top of it:

Still gotta paint the rest of the buildings, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

It's not far off. Kerensky's march to Terra is the only thing that even comes close to being larger. Nothing that comes afterward is even half the size.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
As promised, snagged some photos today. I am very much looking forward to painting these!

A wide shot of most of my Wave 1 goodies.

A Star of Urbies. It makes sense if you don't think too hard about it.

Elementals!

Clan Heavy Striker Star.

Clan Command Star.

Legendary Mechwarriors.

Inner Sphere Battle Lance, aka Unseen This!

Inner Sphere Command Lance.

Clan Invasion boxed game.

The sum total of my model madness this shipment.

First up is to paint up a Battlemaster in Black Watch colors. I've been off of painting for too long.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

It's not far off. Kerensky's march to Terra is the only thing that even comes close to being larger. Nothing that comes afterward is even half the size.

The Battle of Terra is SO much larger in scope than Tukayyid that comparing the two seems silly. Yeah, they both involve "army" deployments, but a single SLDF army was larger than the entire Com Guard combined and they dropped... what, twenty-some of them?

Also, no WarShips at Tukayyid so it loses by default.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I was a little bit off on the sheer scale of the Liberation of Terra; it was definitely larger.

The Liberation of Terra is still the only thing that even halfway threatens for the title of "greatest", and honestly I'd still say Tukayyid fits the bill for its impact on the game. :shrug:

EDIT: in case anyone is curious, Terra included 183 BattleMech Brigades, which (admittedly an assumption) at full strength is a little bit under 60,000 'Mechs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Strobe posted:

EDIT: in case anyone is curious, Terra included 183 BattleMech Brigades, which (admittedly an assumption) at full strength is a little bit under 60,000 'Mechs.

I wonder how many Wasps.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Relax

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sorry I'm not excited for the hard sell on a Com Guards vs Clan players expansion? Maybe this is how Com Guards players felt when the FCCW was a thing, I dunno.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Strobe posted:

I was a little bit off on the sheer scale of the Liberation of Terra; it was definitely larger.

The Liberation of Terra is still the only thing that even halfway threatens for the title of "greatest", and honestly I'd still say Tukayyid fits the bill for its impact on the game. :shrug:

How much infantry? Are we talking anything close to Citadel? The Somme? Stalingrad?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

How much infantry? Are we talking anything close to Citadel? The Somme? Stalingrad?

Just doing some napkin math, the two most common SLDF division types were the BattleMech division (6 regiments of mechs and 3 regiments of infantry) and the Mechanized Infantry division (6 regiments of infantry, 3 regiments of mechs) so let's just say, for the sake of estimation, they kind of equal each other out and each SLDF army (there were 20) were half-and-half. With 20 armies of 9 divisions each, half of which being infantry, and each division being 6,804 infantrymen, you get 602,360 SLDF infantry involved. This doesn't count anyone outside a Mechanized Infantry division in the frontline assaults but hey, it's an idea.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There were 41 BattleMech Divisions (two Mech Brigades, one Infantry Brigade, one Armored Brigade) and 111 Infantry Divisions (one Mech, two Infantry, one Armored) that participated in the actual battle according to Liberation of Terra Vol, for a total of 263 infantry brigades. Each brigade is three regiments, each regiment is three battalions, each battalion is three companies, each company is three platoons, and between foot and mechanized infantry you can probably average about 25 infantry per platoon. So:

25 x 3 (company) x 3 (battalion) x 3 (regiment) x 3 (brigade) x 263 (# of brigades) = 532,575.

So presumably between 500,000 and 550,000 infantry.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Since we're posting mechs here's the pre-final cleanup and basing shot of my Catapult for my as-yet-unnamed garish nightmare mercenary regiment

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

There were 41 BattleMech Divisions (two Mech Brigades, one Infantry Brigade, one Armored Brigade) and 111 Infantry Divisions (one Mech, two Infantry, one Armored) that participated in the actual battle according to Liberation of Terra Vol, for a total of 263 infantry brigades. Each brigade is three regiments, each regiment is three battalions, each battalion is three companies, each company is three platoons, and between foot and mechanized infantry you can probably average about 25 infantry per platoon. So:

25 x 3 (company) x 3 (battalion) x 3 (regiment) x 3 (brigade) x 263 (# of brigades) = 532,575.

So presumably between 500,000 and 550,000 infantry.

Nah, foot and mechanized infantry platoons are both 28 guys. It's jump infantry that's different (21 dudes).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would have sworn that Mechanized was 20.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I can't speak to every army ever, but it's definitely 28 in FM:SLDF.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In that case it's nominally 596,484, assuming there are no jump platoons and also that Independent Regiments don't normally include infantry. Six hundred thousand feels like a safe place to round off.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Strobe posted:

In that case it's nominally 596,484, assuming there are no jump platoons and also that Independent Regiments don't normally include infantry. Six hundred thousand feels like a safe place to round off.

And then four-to-six times that for support staff, and WarShip crews and...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't even know how you'd try to calculate the total crew count of the SLDF navy. Like most fleets, we have an actual count of combat vessels and then the transport fleet is however big or small the story needs it to be.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't even know how you'd try to calculate the total crew count of the SLDF navy. Like most fleets, we have an actual count of combat vessels and then the transport fleet is however big or small the story needs it to be.

Are you the same Defiance Industries that sells 3d printed mech minis on Etsy?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, he lives in Maryland and I'm a West Coast guy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrPop posted:

Very cool! Good variety.

https://fs.battletech.com/fiction/

Catalyst is doing a big sourcebook for Tukayyid instead of a short PDF as laid out by the Kickstarter. Lots of short fiction to go along with it. I'll get the sourcebook because of the camospecs stuff alone, which you can see in the KS update about the sourcebook here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion/posts/3000876

25 galaxies? How are they able to travel to other galaxies in the Battletech universe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Galaxies are a Clan military grouping.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I said come in! posted:

25 galaxies? How are they able to travel to other galaxies in the Battletech universe?

This is how Tukayyid was the greatest battle in history

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my wave 1 shipment and god these models are just too drat beautiful. Really glad I made sure to get two Phoenix Hawks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Whatcha all get in your blind boxes?

Mine currently sit at Aiden Pryde (Timberwolf), shadow cat, mad dog, ice ferret and a hellbringer.

Because I am too poor to get more than that :(