Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The Quarry is best used for your keg empire, all the room you need with a one-time upfront cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I put the barn and coop there and on the next day a rock spawned that blocked the coop door so yeah, think I'll move them down and put the less frequently visited sheds there. It's winter now so I'm also tearing up sprinklers to remake the farming layout for next year's strawberry crop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think if you put down flooring, rocks won’t span on it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Platystemon posted:

This idea would require unreasonable changes to the core game, but I think it would be neat if different maps had different microclimates to differentiate them beyond “here are some areas where Yoba’s finger touched your farm that you can’t walk, build or plant on”.

On the river map, maybe the moderating effect of all that water means that fall crops don’t die in the first week of winter. The high water table lets crops go one day between waterings. Maybe even give the rice trait of automatic irrigation to every crop near the river so it’s not obsolete once sprinklers are available, but that could be too powerful from the start.

For the forest map, the surrounding trees take the edge off the summer’s heat, allowing spring crops to hang in through early summer. Fog could come in and moisten crops on days that are otherwise sunny.

The hill farm’s altitude means fall starts early there. It is subject to more lightning strikes on stormy days.

The wilderness farm, being in the wilderness, is more exposed to the elements. Summer effectively starts early there. Animals enjoy the rangeland and gain the mood benefits of grazing outside even in the absence of tall grass. Trees mature and yield quality fruit on shorter timelines.

Neat ideas.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Neat ideas.

I agree. I hope ConcernedApe reads this post somehow, because I think these ideas, or ones like them, would be great additions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is on sale on PC right now.

Anyone have opinions about it? I'm a little tempted to get it because I'm several hundred hours into SV and I'm not sure I'm up for another play through. What I'd really like is another multiplayer farming game, but those are few and far between.

Oh, if anyone has opinions about Kynseed I'd be interested to hear them. It looks cute at first glance but it's from the developers of Fable who... well, I think we can all agree that at best they fell far short of delivering the game they promised with Fable.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LLSix posted:

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is on sale on PC right now.

Anyone have opinions about it?

i enjoyed it, and it's better in motion than it is in screenshots. unlike a lot of the recent story of seasons games, it's has a pretty brisk pace to it. since the graphics are so simple i wish they had added more customization options for your home and character.

there's a lot of quality of life improvements over the GBA version, you have bigger bags and items stack, you can't accidentally throw poo poo you're holding on the ground, etc.

there are some baffling things they didn't add - there's no tooltip on seeds to tell you how long they take to grow, instead there's a book in the library that lists plant growth rates, for example.

they did made this change to animal raising so now animals start with a max of five hearts, and each successive generation you breed will raise that max by one heart, which is pretty tedious? it also means you'll end up using the sell animal option at the store, something you've likely never done before in a story of seasons game because why would you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, Story of Seasons is on ste-

Oh, not the one I was thinking of. Pretty interesting to see a Doraemon version of it, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If it's anything like the GBA version it's a very funning relaxed and enjoyable game thats a little bit tighter playing and a little bit more stressful and a little more janky than stardew.

If you have a switch or a 3ds grab tune factory 4 for a game that blows stardew outta the water in every way except having multiplayer

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm kinda weird in that I love Stardew and all of the older Harvest Moons (like, pre gamecube) but I've found that I really don't like the Rune Factory games. Everyone recommends RF4 but I bounced off of it hard about ten hours in.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm kinda weird in that I love Stardew and all of the older Harvest Moons (like, pre gamecube) but I've found that I really don't like the Rune Factory games. Everyone recommends RF4 but I bounced off of it hard about ten hours in.

same friend

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Same here. I forget if I played RF3, but I had the first two and lost interest when money became trivial really early on because ore/bars(and gems?) sold for too much money. Made doing anything else for cash seem pointless.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I love the RF series because of the monster taming stuff and the crafting stuff. RF4 in particular has some really neat mechanics with respect to leveling up crops, farm plots, monsters, really deep crafting mechanics and more. The combat is also pretty fun, with all of the weapon types, weapon skills, and magic.

Now if I could get RF but without terminal anime poisoning, that would be fantastic.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I dislike fighting in my farm sims (hell, its my least favorite thing in Stardew and when me and my brother play the multiplayer I never even see the mines) so Rune Factories have tend to be a miss for me. That and a lingering bitterness from the first one where I got locked out of story progression for a year because a certain cave is only accessible during winter.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I got Friends of Mineral Town on Steam and am playing it for the first time. So far it's mostly succeeded at making me want to play SV again.

I'm having a bug where the control zooms up and down lists instead of moving one option at a time. Has anyone else seen that? It's making it almost impossible to shop.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gaius Marius posted:

If you have a switch or a 3ds grab tune factory 4 for a game that blows stardew outta the water in every way except having multiplayer

As someone who loves Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, and My Time at Portia,

Rune Factory 4 is poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dirk the Average posted:

terminal anime poisoning

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So it's the Blazblue of farmsims, then?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lot of turbo bad opinions on rf4 in here

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Idk, I really liked rune factory 4! The anime BS is what it is, but it has a lot of fun and engaging mechanics and the characters are fun. I have a copy on 3DS and bought it to have on steam as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Really tempted to return Friends of Mineral town and replay SV instead. I really miss lookup anything and I can't find a good comprehensive gifting guide. Being able to tell who in town liked any random item you pick up in SV with the lookup anything mod is so convenient, I'm not sure I'm willing to play without something like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only bad thing about rune factory 4 is the flags for some of the major story arcs are extremely hard to throw. also that the remaster looks like it uses the models from the 3ds version

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

LLSix posted:

Really tempted to return Friends of Mineral town and replay SV instead. I really miss lookup anything and I can't find a good comprehensive gifting guide. Being able to tell who in town liked any random item you pick up in SV with the lookup anything mod is so convenient, I'm not sure I'm willing to play without something like that.

https://fogu.com/sos3/events/birthdays.html fogu tends to have a lot of info on things like gifts for villagers for SoS games! :)

and yeah, rf4 is pretty solid, plus the switch version fixed the issue with the major plot flags that the 3ds ver had too

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDON5I_JH4A

New Story of Seasons game announced, it would appear that Mr. Concerned Ape has the whole company shaking.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Pretty much everything showed off in the trailer except the more-in-depth farm customization is something that's showed up in previous titles, so I'm not sure what you mean? You could point towards the plot hook being identical to Stardew -- but that plot hook was used for the original Friends of Mineral Town, as well. SoS/HM is not really a series that trends towards innovation.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

New Story of Seasons game announced, it would appear that Mr. Concerned Ape has the whole company shaking.

That looks suspiciously like Friends of Mineral Town.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

TurnipFritter posted:

It's interesting to see the difference in art quality between the two, watch a tree fall in Stardew and observe how the wood is generated when it hits the ground, then watch this trailer and laugh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Stardew Valley on iOS is $4 right now from from $8.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tetrabor posted:

then watch this trailer and laugh.

3D graphics but cartoonish is really hard to do, honestly. But I did enjoy watching perfectly synchronized trees falling over after the axe spin attack(?)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand why people try to create this rivalry between stardew and sos. Can't people just enjoy both games?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand why people try to create this rivalry between stardew and sos. Can't people just enjoy both games?
Set phasers to flame.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes, but some comparison is inevitable.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
But can you be gay?? Literally all I care about

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It looks fine but lol that the trailer shows off its crippling framerate issues simply with a field of crops.

It's nuts how a game like this that ostensibly has a development TEAM can look like shovelware garbage and then Stardew can look amateurish but still very polished with just one guy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I liked the SNES, N64, and GBA games a lot, but the gameplay in this trailer does not look or sound compelling.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

witchcore ricepunk posted:

There's plants? I dunno.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Other games are cool, but I -cannot- wait to couch co-op this on switch with my wife. She's never played and given how into Animal Crossing she got, I think she's gonna go bananas for a game like this that we can also play together.

That was my single greatest disappointment with AC. We basically had to take turns on our shared island.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the argument to be made is that developers could learn from previous or similar titles in order to improve and modernize their game instead of churning out something that looks closer to Farmville than Harvest Moon.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah. We all love the old old HM games but the majority of the ones that natsume or whoever released after back to nature/fomt have been total schlock. Stardew has some flaws but it feels like it was made with care as opposed to how halfassed harvest moon felt for a long time.

Plus you can make wine and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

The newest Harvest Moon game lets you be gay, yes.

https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1320854949237018626?s=20