Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the best part of the "MJ is smoking" plot thread was that one time the soap director got mad because she was smoking while shooting a scene. I guess no one noticed until the cameras had been rolling a few minutes.

Second best part was every third issue where Peter would stop what he was doing and give her a stern lecture about it.

Kirsten dunst 42069 smoke weed erry day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bitch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll be honest, none of the stories when it comes to Peter's relationships post-OMD feel like they were anything new or interesting. Oh no, Carlie/Michelle/Cissy Ironwood got mad at Peter for missing a date because he's secretly Spider-Man! That's never happened before!

For that matter, basically none of the story arcs post-OMD would have been changed all that much when it comes to Peter's marital status with the exception of Superior (because that would snap credibility to the breaking point, not to mention the ethical landmine of Otto assuming a married Peter's identity - it was skeevy enough when he tried to get with MJ as it was). But then Kraven's Last Hunt was foundational on the marriage (and them being newlyweds in specific). Every status quo is going to limit the stories you can tell, but it's not like you need every single Spider-Man story to revolve around his romantic status.

Oh yeah, OMD is one of the dumbest literary decisions ever. It shouldn't have happened and I'm glad it's getting unhappened. But just recently I've randomly read a couple comics from the marriage era and both of them featured fairly dreadful "Mary Jane is under stress because of Peter's superheroing and Peter feels guilty about it" subplots. So I do hope that in the intervening time they've figured out a different take on their marriage.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would like to see them continue the classic Spider-Man trope of him having problems he has to deal with, but updated from Aunt May will die if he doesn't sell some Spidey pix. The problem with the marriage is that it adds almost nothing unless the either have kids or something causes marital trouble.

One More Day would have been much better if MJ had caught Spider-Man sleeping with Black Cat causing their marriage to be strained, rather than MJ making a deal with the (essentially) literal devil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The problem with the marriage is that it adds almost nothing unless the either have kids or something causes marital trouble.

This is one of the most wrongest opinions that ever wronged.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For a low-level superhero like Spider-Man who is often on the outs with the media and the authorities, having a spouse as a constant source of support and love and reassurance is a pretty big addition

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah, OMD is one of the dumbest literary decisions ever. It shouldn't have happened and I'm glad it's getting unhappened. But just recently I've randomly read a couple comics from the marriage era and both of them featured fairly dreadful "Mary Jane is under stress because of Peter's superheroing and Peter feels guilty about it" subplots. So I do hope that in the intervening time they've figured out a different take on their marriage.

I think a lot of it is that a lot of the writers in the immediate post-marriage era weren't really in favour of the story at all, so they were stuck writing a status quo they weren't really invested in or outright opposed. Whereas writers who came into it knowing Peter & MJ as married (or at least as a couple) and being on board with the idea are able to do great things - whatever else you can say about the JMS run, he did great stuff with MJ, you've got Fraction giving us To Have and To Hold even Millar doing some great work with Marvel Knights, and of course Kraven's Last Hunt. More recent stuff like Taylor in Friendly Neighbourhood, the Iceman issue where Peter & MJ show up as supporting characters, or Amazing Mary Jane, to say nothing of Spencer's own take on MJ, all show that the current bench of writers can write them well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And let's not forget Newspaper Spider-man, where Mary Jane is basically more of a protagonist than Spider-man is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

The one I'm thinking of was the guy who got Peter and MJ kicked out of their Central Park high rise (on Christmas!), kidnapped her at one point, sent Styx and Stone after her, generally made her life a living hell and saw to it she couldn't get any modeling gigs (although she started with a soap opera and I think that's when she became an actress) then kidnapped her again but the rich stalker was killed by a cop who was also obsessed with MJ who I think only came up a few issues earlier. This was all David Michelinie's work who I consider a good Spidey writer overall but did nothing much with Mary Jane which does not admittedly make him stand out among the pack.

You know, Michelinie was on ASM for a long time and presided over some significant changes to the character that at least have had an impact to this day, but the further out I get from that run, the less able I am to consider it "good." It's really benefiting from the accumulated goodwill that Michelinie got from working with McFarlane, then Larsen, and finally Bagley all in a row.

Taking the writing on its own merits outside of that, it has surprisingly little going for it. It's very standard superhero fare with a lot of gimmick arcs, and once they realized Venom was a hit, the entire book bends around that gravity well for the next decade.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I realized part of my antipathy for Venom as a character comes from how my first Spider-Man books were Roger Stern's, where Peter is driving himself crazy looking for Hobgoblin due to his neurosis. It rang real hollow for Peter to turn around and be so poo poo-scared of Venom in the Michelinie run that, for example, he'd be willing to fake his death so Venom would leave town.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what sort of psycho would get back with the guy who sold their marriage to satan if they knew about it?

I have this vague memory of a comic that tried to make it so actually it was MJ who made the deal and said Peter totally never would’ve done something like that without her egging him on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

More recent stuff like Taylor in Friendly Neighbourhood, the Iceman issue where Peter & MJ show up as supporting characters, or Amazing Mary Jane, to say nothing of Spencer's own take on MJ, all show that the current bench of writers can write them well.

I'd throw Renew Your Vows in that bucket too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

You know, Michelinie was on ASM for a long time and presided over some significant changes to the character that at least have had an impact to this day, but the further out I get from that run, the less able I am to consider it "good." It's really benefiting from the accumulated goodwill that Michelinie got from working with McFarlane, then Larsen, and finally Bagley all in a row.

Taking the writing on its own merits outside of that, it has surprisingly little going for it. It's very standard superhero fare with a lot of gimmick arcs, and once they realized Venom was a hit, the entire book bends around that gravity well for the next decade.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I realized part of my antipathy for Venom as a character comes from how my first Spider-Man books were Roger Stern's, where Peter is driving himself crazy looking for Hobgoblin due to his neurosis. It rang real hollow for Peter to turn around and be so poo poo-scared of Venom in the Michelinie run that, for example, he'd be willing to fake his death so Venom would leave town.

He faked his own death on a remote island where Venom could live out his years peacefully while Spider-Man hitched a ride on a passing freight boat. Spider-Man realized he couldn't defeat Venom without killing Venom so he found a third option.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mary Jane should be free of Spider-Mans bullshit and allowed to flourish in her own solo series again. RIP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mary Jane should be free of Spider-Mans bullshit and allowed to flourish in her own solo series again. RIP.

She was pretty good as a supporting character in Bendis' Iron Man but no one else has touched on that since Bendis went to DC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

It's been many years but when I first got to read through the whole Micheline run I had been anticipating the Bagley run and I ended up feeling like he was wasted on it. Might be worth reading through it again to give it a second shot because I do adore Bagley as a Spider-Man artist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

She was pretty good as a supporting character in Bendis' Iron Man but no one else has touched on that since Bendis went to DC.

I think that's for the best since I trust literally no writer to make a good story out of a new SHIELD team of Iron Man, a bunch of assorted other random armor themed heroes, plus Blade, the whole Morales family, and Leonardo Da Vinci. I mean, it sounds like... something all right, but I don't trust any writer to make it good.

e: oh I guess for MJ specifically that could build to some new status quo... but yeah it's probably better to leave that in the past.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, honestly a rich guy using his connections to ruin a model/actress' career because she won't sleep with him seems like the kind of story that's got a lot of resonance with a modern audience. You kinda make it sound like it was compressed into one arc and not a long-running subplot over the course of his run - so I'm not sure where you're getting that he didn't do anything with Mary Jane given you know, that whole subplot he gave her (including rescuing herself a few times and even Peter at one point).

Because it was both trite and ended with the 'whoop also she has another stalker' bit? Obviously, yes, superheroes are also soap opera but be engaging.

Wanderer posted:

It seemed like under his tenure they really went hard on the company wide crossovers (Spidey getting Inferno and Acts of Vengeance) plus if you want to talk about 'writing for trade paperbacks' Amazing Spider-Man did it before it was a thing with the AssassiNation Plot, the Return of the Sinister Six, Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge and of course Maximum Carnage and all that followed. I wonder now how much of it was editorial past the company wide stuff.

Speaking of women in Michelinie's run, I forgot that's where Black Cat comes back and starts dating Flash as a way to get back at Peter. Not so much to make him jealous but more 'ooh, is she going to reveal his secret identity?' How they split up I no longer remember. (Maybe Vulpes does. Actually probably he does.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I would like to see them continue the classic Spider-Man trope of him having problems he has to deal with, but updated from Aunt May will die if he doesn't sell some Spidey pix. The problem with the marriage is that it adds almost nothing unless the either have kids or something causes marital trouble.

One More Day would have been much better if MJ had caught Spider-Man sleeping with Black Cat causing their marriage to be strained, rather than MJ making a deal with the (essentially) literal devil.
I mean, yes it would have been better had the marriage not literally ended by infernal intervention, but you went to 'Peter cheating on his wife literally out of the blue' over something like 'Peter literally being afraid for MJ's life after May got shot and pushed her away for her own safety'? Seriously?

TheHan posted:

I have this vague memory of a comic that tried to make it so actually it was MJ who made the deal and said Peter totally never would’ve done something like that without her egging him on.
That would be One Moment In Time. drat you for making me remember that story existed. It's especially hilarious when you go back to OMD and Peter basically gives a massive speech about how he could not make the deal if MJ's willing to support him, but he's going to feel so terrible about it. It reads like he's guilt-tripping her into making the deal.

howe_sam posted:

I'd throw Renew Your Vows in that bucket too.
Dammit, how did I forget Renew Your Vows?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 29, 2020

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah I think even aside from the abject absurdity of One More day even by comics' campy, goofy, melodramatic standards, the main problem was that it was just an utterly toxic character moment for everyone involved.

Peter goes to the smartest and most powerful people in the universe to help, including the most powerful sorceror in the universe and Reed Richards who has a son who can reshape the universe on a whim, but suddenly they're all like "A bullet to the liver? Nothing I can do about that."

Peter and MJ are so beholden to their elderly aunt that they willingly make a deal with the devil to destroy their relationship to save her for a few more months or however long the terminally old May Parker has left.

Even Mephisto looks like a complete punk. You're the ultimate evil in the universe, why are you spending so much time breaking up this one marriage? Don't you have a reality-destroying Hell War to plan?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, yes it would have been better had the marriage not literally ended by infernal intervention, but you went to 'Peter cheating on his wife literally out of the blue' over something like 'Peter literally being afraid for MJ's life after May got shot and pushed her away for her own safety'? Seriously?

No, I don't really mean that specific example just some kind of drama that doesn't really stem directly from super villains or something like that. I think in the long term telling stories about rising tension from Peter missing yet another one of Mary Jane's chemo treatments because he is stopping the Rhino from robbing a bank is a little more of a fertile ground than Mary Jane just getting captured by super villains yet again.

I get it. As a long term comic reader I don't mind reading the same thing over and over again. I love seeing my pal Spider-Man having a fun adventure every month. It is a great thing to read a story you have been comfortable with for decades one more time with minor changes. But you can also do more than just that with comics. Peter Parker has always been the guy with problems, I just wish he had some new ones that were also grounded.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I think even aside from the abject absurdity of One More day even by comics' campy, goofy, melodramatic standards, the main problem was that it was just an utterly toxic character moment for everyone involved.

Doesn't get the the buck get super passed around as to whose idea it was now? Like JMS is all 'it was Joe's idea' and vice versa? They sure did an idea they all claim was a bad one now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't get the the buck get super passed around as to whose idea it was now? Like JMS is all 'it was Joe's idea' and vice versa? They sure did an idea they all claim was a bad one now.

JoeQ was the most vocal about it in interviews so I'd put the blame on him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

He also had seniority as the EiC so yeah, I'd probably put this on him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nilbop posted:

Peter goes to the smartest and most powerful people in the universe to help, including the most powerful sorceror in the universe and Reed Richards who has a son who can reshape the universe on a whim, but suddenly they're all like "A bullet to the liver? Nothing I can do about that."

Peter and MJ are so beholden to their elderly aunt that they willingly make a deal with the devil to destroy their relationship to save her for a few more months or however long the terminally old May Parker has left.

Even Mephisto looks like a complete punk. You're the ultimate evil in the universe, why are you spending so much time breaking up this one marriage? Don't you have a reality-destroying Hell War to plan?

I jut kind of no-prized that Peter never actually got to Strange (or he subverted that spell where Peter went to ask everyone at once) and it was all Mephisto's smoke & mirrors rather than him actually asking people for help, hence why nobody could.

As for screwing with Peter, I can absolutely se Mephisto do that. He's all about evil at all levels. Plus maybe he was still mad he technically owes his existence (and the existence of the universe itself, but still) to Spidey from Secret Wars II.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

It just felt so meta. Like Daffy Duck facing off against the animator. Peter wasn't talking to Mephisto, he was talking to Quesada.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The funny thing about One More Day that you can see now more than a decade out from it is...it kind of didn't even matter, huh?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

The funny thing about One More Day that you can see now more than a decade out from it is...it kind of didn't even matter, huh?

How so?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Here we are in 2020. Peter and Mary Jane are a couple again. Almost every concept that was wiped out in OMD has made its way back to comics in some form. All the rage and fury over OMD and it didn't really save or condemn the franchise to doom like many people around the time were speculating.

In the end it was just another bad story that was memory holed by fans like every bad story before it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Here we are in 2020. Peter and Mary Jane are a couple again. Almost every concept that was wiped out in OMD has made its way back to comics in some form. All the rage and fury over OMD and it didn't really save or condemn the franchise to doom like many people around the time were speculating.

In the end it was just another bad story that was memory holed by fans like every bad story before it.

I mean they're doing a whole story addressing it right now, so it's not exactly memory holed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blockhouse posted:

It's almost like comics continuity thrives on the illusion of change vs actual change

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think anyone was complaining that OMD would sink Spider-Man.

I think they were complaining that it was a bad and dumb story that was wiping out 20 years of character growth and happening for literally no reason.

I know I sure was.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Aunt May needs to die. Let me write one Spider-Man issue. Aunt May will die peacefully and wish Peter a beautiful life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

VanSandman posted:

Aunt May needs to die. Let me write one Spider-Man issue. Aunt May will die peacefully and wish Peter a beautiful life.

As much as I agree with that...they did that. And she still came back.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

VanSandman posted:

"I have to go now. Galactus needs me." *turns silver, is awkwardly pulled off the page*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"I have to go now. Galactus needs me." *turns silver, is awkwardly pulled off the page*

that's silly. as a herald, may turned gold.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they made the Golden Oldie canon and had her go on cosmic adventures as a way to get her out of Peter's life for like ten years, I'd be very into it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

If they made the Golden Oldie canon and had her go on cosmic adventures as a way to get her out of Peter's life for like ten years, I'd be very into it.

just think of all the brand new life-threatening space illnesses she could catch

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

She'd still be killed by a man with a gun.

It wouldn't even be a space-gun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

The PS4 game did that and it legit made me cry so I support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

just think of all the brand new life-threatening space illnesses she could catch

She will go on a multitude of exciting space adventures and then return to earth, where she will learn Spider-Man's true identity and immediately die of a heart attack.