Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

$1400? Guess I'm gonna stick with my old stationary bike lol
I wonder if you could somehow rig up a cheap stationary bike to work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

buy a single sided crank arm powermeter to use with a dumb trainer

stages: $299 https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/stages-cycling-shimano-105-7000-single-leg-power-meter?sg=501
4iii: $279 with promo code https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/4iiii-105-r7000-left-arm-powermeter/rp-prod187252

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Every trainer is zwift compatible one way or another

This. You can get a smart trainer or a dumb trainer and either use a power meter with it or use cadence/speed sensors instead. The dumb trainer/sensors route tends to be the cheapest option possible but you'd have to be using zPower or something like it, which means your power will most likely be overrated and it just won't give you an accurate idea of your performance. You'll always want a heart rate monitor no matter what.

and yall, we've got the Indoor Trainer thread.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 29, 2020

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Time posted:

I missed the ordering the first go round so a very kind goon shipped me one. Thank you both!

Related- im 235 pounds and just competed in my last bodybuilding show. Biking has been a great hobby to pick up with my free time but absolutely none of the gear is made for me. I even got told not to buy a few carbon bikes by the manufacturer. My brain is still broken as well so I refuse to lose weight. Does anyone have reccs on stuff for people that are bigger? Does Rapha make stuff that big? It says size up but I don’t even know what that means at 6’4” and rotund

I think you need to ring up John Cena my dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd77fHyD-BM

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Optimus Subprime posted:

Lmfao

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Several months back, someone posted a link to a Black Owned Business that made bikepacking bags. Despite my best efforts, I just can't find it.

Fake edit: It was not R.E.Load.

Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've been having a real nightmare with flats in the last couple of weeks. And like, associated part shortages and things just breaking in general. My tires are 35mm. I got some 32-50c tubes since there were no other <=35c tubes loving anywhere. It was very hard to get the tires on without pinching the tubes and I never actually ended up getting them mounted without leaks. This is after taking them to the bike shop in total hopelessness and the tube coming back with five(!) holes in it. I just accepted a very slow leak over the last ten days.

I was wheeling my bike out to go run an errand and this happened:

I think I read this as broken bead or wheel. Is that right?

Interesting damage! I think I'm just going to get rid of this loving tube anyway.

Looks like exposed and frayed wire. Is this tire hosed forever?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 29, 2020

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I'm looking at buying a fixed gear/single speed (Wabi) because I love throwing money away on a whim, and I'm curious about anyone else's experience with bullhorn handlebars with the top mounted brakes.

It seems like shifting from the "hoods" position to the flats to brake would make you really unstable and prone to torquing the handlebars one way or another? Or are the flats on bullhorns like that fairly spacious? I'm picturing having to grab for the flats on my Specialized Crux whenever I need to brake suddenly and the thought scares me.

Just an irrational fear?

I know the real answer is run it fixie and forget the brakes, but I'm new to single speeds so will probably run the freewheel side for a while...

If I were riding on a singlespeed /w bullhorn bars, I'd want tt / reverse brake levers at the ends of the horns, rather than interrupter levers. Not my bike, but you get the idea: https://i.imgur.com/DesMRSY.jpg. It's also possible to have both kinds of levers on the bars, if you want to be able to brake from both hand positions.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Several months back, someone posted a link to a Black Owned Business that made bikepacking bags. Despite my best efforts, I just can't find it.

Thanks.

Was it https://www.instagram.com/urban_desert_1/

Path Less Pedaled youtube channel interviewed a maker recently but I can't find UD on his channel, so may have been someone else.. can't find the video now though.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 29, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you're getting lots of flats and don't have an obvious explanation (eg running summer racing tyres in winter) then it's probably time to replace the tyres, regardless of how hosed the bead looks (which in this case is pretty hosed)

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

kimbo305 posted:

You get used to balancing/moving in such a way as to not tilt the bike over. Most bike geometries at reasonable speeds will be fairly stable, resisting a certain amount of perturbation.
But yes, the brakes are very narrow and do put you at a disadvantage if you need to brake hard and do some maneuvering. You should be fine in most cases as long as you keep your eyes out for potential hazards.

Good to know, thanks.

skul-gun posted:

If I were riding on a singlespeed /w bullhorn bars, I'd want tt / reverse brake levers at the ends of the horns, rather than interrupter levers. Not my bike, but you get the idea: https://i.imgur.com/DesMRSY.jpg. It's also possible to have both kinds of levers on the bars, if you want to be able to brake from both hand positions.

I looked at this and was aware it was an option but I think it looks kinda stupid. I'm unabashedly choosing based on aesthetics since this is such an unnecessary bike for me to buy. Right now I'm leaning towards trying the bullhorn bars and if I hate it too much, I'll just swap out for drops.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

$1400? Guess I'm gonna stick with my old stationary bike lol

it is seriously ridiculous how expensive indoor trainers are. makes me want to say gently caress it and buy a set of rollers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

tuyop posted:

Looks like exposed and frayed wire. Is this tire hosed forever?

yes

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Thanks.

Seconding Urban Desert- I bought a couple of feedbags from them and they're cheap+good quality.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looking to get a neat headset cap to add a tad of flair. Any suggestions on where to cop one?

How else do people style their bikes?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

a loathsome bird posted:

Seconding Urban Desert- I bought a couple of feedbags from them and they're cheap+good quality.

And thanks too to sweat poteto, that is who I was looking for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're getting lots of flats and don't have an obvious explanation (eg running summer racing tyres in winter) then it's probably time to replace the tyres, regardless of how hosed the bead looks (which in this case is pretty hosed)

Check the rim tape too.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Head Bee Guy posted:

Looking to get a neat headset cap to add a tad of flair. Any suggestions on where to cop one?

you can get one personalized for pretty cheap or you can get one of these and put your favourite beer cap on top. otherwise, I would check twin six, team dream bicycling team (sold out) or Mash SF (store on break right now).

there's lots of fun ways to style your bikes! bags (handlebar, saddle, whatever), ironic stickers, water bottles, tool kegs, cool looking bar tapes etc.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Head Bee Guy posted:

https://kustomcaps.com/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Head Bee Guy posted:

Pics of bike for full color compliance, please.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I Zwift a little bit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

I Zwift a little bit.

I still do not understand your Ven-Top (Ven-bottom?) descent speed. How?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I had to suck it up and chop some steerer off the new fork on my hybrid. The position was always upright but even with the Ritchey stem flipped over it was a hair more so, and now that there's ice everywhere I can't have the front washing out on me like it's been doing a bit the first few days.

Now the thing handles like a champ and is actually kinda fun.

I figure even if I do swap frames for a 29er the odds of the head tube being longer than a hybrid was pretty slim and I still have a few spacers in the stack so I've definitely got wiggle room.

Plus the bike looks a tad less silly now.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I still do not understand your Ven-Top (Ven-bottom?) descent speed. How?

Set your weight to the max and your height at the minimum when you're at the top.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EvilJoven posted:

Edit: speaking of things running out, start stocking up on basic poo poo like cassettes, chains, brake pads, maybe chain rings etc. 2021s gonna be fun.
Serious my shop was going to buy back half a pair of swissstop black prince carbon pads the other week.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Wait you guys don’t just buy a new bike and throw the old one out when things get worn? Craziness.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i want some enve 5.6s for my cervelo r5

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Optimus Subprime posted:

i hadnt seen that and i just watched it and well its only 40 minutes but i cant recommend it even though it got a couple of laughs out of me

its straddles that no mans land of being accessible to non cyclist but not getting esoteric enough for cyclist to like

however the way they play the gag of the death of tom simpson but looking like pantani in one go is uhhhh pretty bad and i was almost ready to just turn the movie off after that opening scene

3/10

not a total waste of time, but avoid

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 30, 2020

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it is seriously ridiculous how expensive indoor trainers are. makes me want to say gently caress it and buy a set of rollers

My indoor trainer while expensive was still cheaper than my bike and it's more than paid for itself through health/fitness benefits. Last winter here was so poo poo and rainy every day that I just did Zwift for most of that time and got fitter than I ever have before, as well as losing 10kg. I am more than happy to do it again this winter and don't regret spending the money I did on the trainer one bit.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Yeah my partner wants a trainer for the winter, but we are back to possibly looking at a spin bike because wow. We don't zwift so we don't need anything fancy

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if im riding my bike 2-3 times a week in probably not freezing but just slightly above freezing weather throughout the winter, are there any steps i should take in terms of preventative maintenance? im never gonna get enough into biking to really fix issues but if i can reduce them through some oiling or whatever that would be nice

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Give the bike a good clean, especially the chain, every week. (Ideally every time if there's salt etc on the roads but that's not something you will probably be bothered to do.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just got a kickr core, and while yes they cost a lot, I am really liking it so far. Zwift is going to be a good way to stay busy over the winter and we're doing a local race league in place of what would normally be cyclocross so I get to "ride" with a bunch of friends I've barely seen all year. I think I had a huge grin on my face the whole time even when we were going up the climb the other day and the group was getting blown to bits. Also great having some power numbers to look at since I still haven't bought a PM for my road bike. And yes I know I was lucky to even find one at this point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 31, 2020

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

jamal posted:

I just got a kickr core, and while yes they cost a lot, I am really liking it so far. Zwift is going to be a good way to stay busy over the winter and we're doing a local race league in place of what would normally be cyclocross so I get to "ride" with a bunch of friends I've barely seen all year. I think I had a huge grin on my face the whole time even when we were going up the climb the other day and the group was getting blown to bits. Also great having some power numbers to look at since I still haven't bought a PM for my road bike. And yes I know I was lucky to even find one at this point.

Seconding basically everything in this post as it applies to me. I got the very last Kickr Core at Mountain Equipment Co-op about 3 months ago and it has been great. I think Zwift is pretty dumb for a number of reasons so I primarily use Trainer Road, and I couldn't believe how efficiently it woke my legs up after several months of exile/not riding. Winter should be good.

Alternatively I could make some money by flipping the trainer to a triathlete or dentist or something...got to wait for that peak in the market.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I swear my new tires are cursed. 13 rides and three flats - all from foreign objects.

Here's the latest:

And here it is in all its glory after I pulled it out:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

jamal posted:

It looks nice as hell, not gonna lie.

Just scared at those prices lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's going to be 60+ F both days of the November 7 weekend here and we are absolutely prepping up for that.

Also my basement has a floor drain and for some reason I can't get myself to wash my bikes down there.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Weembles posted:

I swear my new tires are cursed. 13 rides and three flats - all from foreign objects.

I feel ya. Not quite as bad for me but I put new tires on back around January. I hadn't had a flat for a couple years and I'm up to four so far in 2020. None of them anything to complain about, three nails into the center of the tire and one nail into the sidewall.

After flat number three I replaced the cursed tires and made it half a dozen rides before the fourth one. :sigh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You guys need to bite the bullet and go to tubeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

You guys need to bite the bullet and go to tubeless.
Does that really help with giant tire-destroying pieces of metal?