Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oct posted:

For free content, I would typically point someone here: https://www.dfir.training/. A lot of the really good training is still paid unfortunately. SANS is kind of a 900 pound gorilla for training, especially for forensics and incident response. The site I linked is pretty much driven by the DFIR community, so there are a lot of decent resources to dig into.

ATT&CK is definitely becoming something of a standard for modeling threat intelligence - on the DFIR side it's pretty much essential to understand what it is and how it can be used. It's mostly designed for enterprise-level attacks carried out by advanced threats rather than script kiddies, though it can be used for that. I typically work it into interview questions when I am screening candidates.

There are a ton of ways it can be used, it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. So for example if you're working in a SOC and someone asks you to do some threat hunting, you can pick tactics and look at what indicates those tactics, then search for that across your environment with whatever tools you have. We rely on it a lot during incident response as well simply to help us inform our understanding of what may have happened and what artifacts we should look for (or steps to take to contain the threat, all that IR poo poo).

Thanks a TON for the links and info!

Yeah one of the jobs I was interviewing for was in a SOC. I had to be upfront and say while I was slightly familiar with MITRE from studying for my CISSP I've never actually used it in a professional setting. I'm going to try and learn as much as I can about it and also try to start using it in some format at my current position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oct posted:

For free content, I would typically point someone here: https://www.dfir.training/. A lot of the really good training is still paid unfortunately. SANS is kind of a 900 pound gorilla for training, especially for forensics and incident response. The site I linked is pretty much driven by the DFIR community, so there are a lot of decent resources to dig into.

ATT&CK is definitely becoming something of a standard for modeling threat intelligence - on the DFIR side it's pretty much essential to understand what it is and how it can be used. It's mostly designed for enterprise-level attacks carried out by advanced threats rather than script kiddies, though it can be used for that. I typically work it into interview questions when I am screening candidates.

There are a ton of ways it can be used, it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. So for example if you're working in a SOC and someone asks you to do some threat hunting, you can pick tactics and look at what indicates those tactics, then search for that across your environment with whatever tools you have. We rely on it a lot during incident response as well simply to help us inform our understanding of what may have happened and what artifacts we should look for (or steps to take to contain the threat, all that IR poo poo).

Yeah, anything MITRE does is top notch and generally great framework for Policy, Governance, and DFIR/IR stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/dnvolz/status/1321447353975513094

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yup, unsuprisingly, we're as bad as everyone else with government backdoors. And this is why Barr's plan to backdoor encryption is loving insane.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

. And this is why Barr's plan to backdoor encryption is loving insane.

Didn't the aussies already try this and get mocked excessively for trying to outlaw math?

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020

RFC2324 posted:

Didn't the aussies already try this and get mocked excessively for trying to outlaw math?

Every couple of years a Five Eyes country tries to outlaw math and learns nothing from the resulting mess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Yup, and now Barr/Pompeo are putting pressure on the EU to do it again.

Its going to be both a nightmare and hilarious since it'll just result in a hundredfold increase in breaches.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Great (IMO) video about the whole Dual EC saga from the perspective of the ScreenOS firmware code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPHLvx6jbOc

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Brian Krebs is an ex Windows Admin who plays security and regularly says poo poo that is based on little evidence. He's a pariah in the Infosec community, especially because he doesn't take criticism well. Kinda like Kevin Mitnick but Kevin does actually know a lot of things, even though he sold his soul.

This. AND in this case, he's trying to exploit fear to make himself a bunch of money selling a product that might not actually help.
my impression of him was that he was a reporter, not an infosec professional, but i haven't really paid much attention to him lately so if he doxxed people that's good to know

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

my impression of him was that he was a reporter, not an infosec professional, but i haven't really paid much attention to him lately so if he doxxed people that's good to know

This is true, but he bills himself as more than a reporter professionally.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wyoak posted:

https://www.itwire.com/security/86867-infosec-researchers-slam-ex-wapo-man-krebs-over-doxxing.html

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/1321889826711298048?s=21

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

super happy for the next 3 pages of password manager chat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Diva Cupcake posted:

:same:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm so happy for the bougie security reporter man who defends victim blaming and enjoys long walks shilling for the shady VPN company that he gets to shill for another service with an unnecessary subscription fee.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like Troy :/

Elaborate on the victim blaming?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Fool posted:

I like Troy :/

Elaborate on the victim blaming?

When Accounts are "Hacked" Due to Poor Passwords, Victims Must Share the Blame

quote:

"You're victim blaming. Stop victim blaming."

Yes, I am and no, I won't. This issue - the one that implies there's no responsibility on behalf of the victims in these incidents - needs addressing because frankly, it's an absolute cop out.

With doubling down here and this one within the last week.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

He certainly has an interesting.... perspective. Honest, I feel like he is looking for rage clicks and is getting them. Nobody is reading that poo poo except to hate on it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm so happy for the bougie security reporter man who defends victim blaming and enjoys long walks shilling for the shady VPN company that he gets to shill for another service with an unnecessary subscription fee.

I bought 1Password 4 and may never update, lol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I pay for a 1Password family subscription and it is worth it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine paying for decent software

e: troy is a landlord

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeoh posted:

:guillotine:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

imagine paying for decent software

Paying for software is ok, I personally wouldn't do it, but I think you only subscribe to 1password, not even buying it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I subscribe to 1Password and think it's great :shrug:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So far they haven't been as bad as LastPass but I'm pretty confident it's just a matter of time until something happens just like them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xtal posted:

So far they haven't been as bad as LastPass but I'm pretty confident it's just a matter of time until something happens just like them

things can only be good for so long before they get hosed in the name of profit

1Password has been around long enough that corners are surely being cut now

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

He's not wrong? God forbid anyone take responsibility for their choices these days. There are dozens of options for password managers and many are integrated into browsers, desktops and phones. If your to lazy to use one in 2020 and your password of 'Maga2020!' kicks off world war 3 then yes, you share responsibility.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

xtal posted:

Paying for software is ok, I personally wouldn't do it, but I think you only subscribe to 1password, not even buying it

Yea, I am not paying a subscription for something I used to be able to buy before someone figured out how to make more money off it. Adobe-tier poo poo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yea, I am not paying a subscription for something I used to be able to buy before someone figured out how to make more money off it. Adobe-tier poo poo

Complaining about this for a security product that needs constant maintenance is some galaxy brain poo poo.

The times of buying SOFTWARE VERSION 2.0 and being able to use it for a decade are over. Updates are critical and they cost money. Having people stuck at older versions is a massive risk and a huge burden for developers.

It's gone. Let it go.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Complaining about this for a security product that needs constant maintenance is some galaxy brain poo poo.

The times of buying SOFTWARE VERSION 2.0 and being able to use it for a decade are over. Updates are critical and they cost money. Having people stuck at older versions is a massive risk and a huge burden for developers.

It's gone. Let it go.

I didn't subscribe to Linux to post this, you don't need to buy any software, much less buy it more than once. Separately from that, storing your passwords in the cloud is a bad idea whether it's a subscription or not.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1password’s watchtower is worth the money and it has warned me about passwords on two separate occasions.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 30, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xtal posted:

I didn't subscribe to Linux to post this, you don't need to buy any software, much less buy it more than once. Separately from that, storing your passwords in the cloud is a bad idea whether it's a subscription or not.

Storing your passwords anywhere is a risk assessment with security and convenience trade offs that you need to make your own decision about.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

xtal posted:

I keep my keepass archive in cloud storage, but in addition to the longass password I also composite that with my yubikey challenge-response.

All my emails and variants are subscribed to hibp and I reroll my all my passwords annually so something like Watchtower is unnecessary for me.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 30, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xtal posted:

Separately from that, storing your passwords in the cloud is a bad idea whether it's a subscription or not.

It's not. There are many ways to do it as safely as reasonably possible, and as said it's about assessing the convenience and other areas of improved security against your own personal risk posture.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also this was prophetic lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you say "password" in the bathroom mirror three times, the CEO's nephew will come out of the mirror and tell you about their custom password management setup involving six types of authentication, three different open source syncing services, and a ham radio tuned to a soviet numbers station

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

if you say "password" in the bathroom mirror three times, the CEO's nephew will come out of the mirror and tell you about their custom password management setup involving six types of authentication, three different open source syncing services, and a ham radio tuned to a soviet numbers station

God if only

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In reality you'll just get a pin number in a text message.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xtal posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can buy a standalone 1Password license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Achmed Jones posted:

as the prophecy foretold.