Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

If they warn it's a Cat 3 and it weakens to 1 then meatballs start going "Ahh, it's never that bad" and refuse to evacuate.

I'd rather have an accurate assessment than one worked for the benefit of idiots.

https://twitter.com/ScottWalkerJP/status/1321549583005192192

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Power just went out in the 6th ward. Rain is spotty & the wind is gusting but nothing too bad yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The interaction of a low pressure system coming towards Zeta from the west was supposed to cause some decent wind shear but the storm is maybe moving ahead of where they thought it would be?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

A few years ago there was that twitter thread as they watched a passenger flight fly between two arms of a hurricane to quickly pick up a bunch of people off an island

Found it:
https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/905433106475311104

And the return flight from SJU:
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/905476429575487488

I remember watching that unfold, was pretty crazy to follow along with the flight, seeing the flight being turned around in 45 minutes, and then departing with a full load of pax flying along the outside of the hurricane. Definitely an excellent planning job by the dispatchers and meteorologists.

Edit: Apologies if the tweet I posted is a double from the tweet thread already linked, last pic that loaded for me is the flight still heading to SJU.

Germansimp has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Oct 28, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The most important duty of the Mayor of Grand Isle is giving interviews with the big news stations as the storms blow in that are like "woo boy, yeah it's real bad. It's raining sideways, ayup"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Power cycled for a second but came back on. Hearing other parts of the city just lost power completely.

https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1321569869326913537

Saying gusts up to 135 mph there.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Oct 28, 2020

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Power cycled for a second but came back on. Hearing other parts of the city just lost power completely.

https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1321569869326913537

Saying gusts up to 135 mph there.

We were down in the Treme for like ~30 minutes. Back on now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1321568214971764738

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Eye wall hitting NOLA right now. The big gusts are freaky as hell, like everything outside goes sideways. The tree out front is dropping branches like crazy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Trees and limbs down all over the city. Looooooots of power outages, but no major destruction it seems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

is it just hauling rear end enough that it's not able to hit NO with surge or drop enough rain to cause really catastrophic flooding?

because, like, if wind is the main problem and even that's going to be over by morning that's some nat 20 roll on luck poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes it's moving fast enough that wind is the main problem.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Exclusive reporting from the epicenter of the damage

https://twitter.com/JustLeslieCat/status/1321597722340790272

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

PostNouveau posted:

Exclusive reporting from the epicenter of the damage

https://twitter.com/JustLeslieCat/status/1321597722340790272

lmbo. I like the bike helmet/glass of wine/golden mic combo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Stay safe goons :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Very cool. Love it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Since I'm traveling down memory lane here's the goon who streamed hurricane sandy flooding his apartment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nMdqrtqBys

in case anyone wants a very real example of how fast a storm surge moves in

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

maybe a city at risk of being submerged beneath Poseidon's mighty waves should bring in engineers from the Netherlands or something to shore this poo poo up

you know?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

maybe a city at risk of being submerged beneath Poseidon's mighty waves should bring in engineers from the Netherlands or something to shore this poo poo up

you know?

the netherlands guys look at the giant saltwater lake behind the city that is at a higher elevation than a ton of neighborhoods and ditch the meeting

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

you know?

They've brought in Dutch consultants several times since Katrina, but I don't think any amount of money is going to make us able to snap our fingers and go "OK, forget the levee system we've built up over hundreds of years, we need to use this system the Netherlands built up over hundreds of years."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Netherlanders look at Lake Pontchartrain and think “it’s free real estate.”

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The only thing the Dutch have ever pioneered was scaling up the slave trade to massive levels, if you bring them in they will probably suggest certain neighborhoods be rounded up to build new canals. Actually I shouldn't post this, I think I'm just giving the GOP in the area some new ideas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s unfair.

The also committed genocide in the Banda Islands so they would have a monopoly on nutmeg and clove.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dont forget all our warcrimes against Indonesians struggling for independence, immediately after we'd been liberated from the Nazis

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

Cool. Very cool. Love it.

so glad the sewerage and water board got rid of all those people treating maintenance management positions as sinecures the last time the drainage system spectacularly underperformed a few years ago

SKULL.GIF posted:

you know?

they literally did this after katrina

some of them even gave us guest lectures at lsu for my disaster engineering class that i had after the storm, because my professor was also the head of the multi-state hurricane center and kept getting called before congress

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Since I'm traveling down memory lane here's the goon who streamed hurricane sandy flooding his apartment

I haven't seen this before (or I did and forgot it) and it is making me angry. I can forgive some of the behaviour from panicking, but why was this guy so determined to keep streaming, no matter how inconvenient it made things?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

uvar posted:

I haven't seen this before (or I did and forgot it) and it is making me angry. I can forgive some of the behaviour from panicking, but why was this guy so determined to keep streaming, no matter how inconvenient it made things?

we were convinced we were about to see someone electrocute themselves on stream

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol i think you mean SUPERSTORM SANDY

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol i think you mean SUPERSTORM SANDY

I was there 3 weeks before/during/after for relief efforts and power restoration. One of the things I remember most clearly was street after street of piled up debris on the curbs, 5-8 feet high, at every single house. Just a canyon of grief and sadness as people had to throw out most of what they owned.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FistEnergy posted:

I was there 3 weeks before/during/after for relief efforts and power restoration. One of the things I remember most clearly was street after street of piled up debris on the curbs, 5-8 feet high, at every single house. Just a canyon of grief and sadness as people had to throw out most of what they owned.

wow just imagine how many dollars worth of damage it would've done if it'd been stronger than a tropical storm

why, there might even still be damage from it unaddressed and remaining 15 8 years afterward

hmm maybe that place just shouldn't have people living there if it's so susceptible to storm damage

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Oct 29, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NYC is still going to need a sea wall by 2050

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SKULL.GIF posted:

NYC is still going to need a sea wall by 2050

they keep tacking on new reclaimed land so it's more likely they won't need a seawall but will need more and more capable drainage as manhattan becomes more and more bowl-shaped

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

FAUXTON posted:

they keep tacking on new reclaimed land so it's more likely they won't need a seawall but will need more and more capable drainage as manhattan becomes more and more bowl-shaped

maybe they can buy some second-hand pumping stations when NOLA gets abandoned

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

subsidence gets to be a problem yeah

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm no expert but this feels like a bad place to build a city

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

unfortunately, you gotta build a city there because of the good good river

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

El Burbo posted:

unfortunately, you gotta build a city there because of the good good river

also there used to be a fuckload of bayou there to break up storm surge and it wasn't nearly as densely populated or as thoroughly channelized so the river would have flooded more shallowly but over a larger area, and incoming hurricanes would have had their effects mitigated a good amount by the wetlands which now do not exist

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

also 18th century invaders from another continent probably didn't have very good regional flood maps or hurricane data and didn't think to account for sea level rise or increased rainfall caused by global warming

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

also there used to be a fuckload of bayou there to break up storm surge and it wasn't nearly as densely populated or as thoroughly channelized so the river would have flooded more shallowly but over a larger area, and incoming hurricanes would have had their effects mitigated a good amount by the wetlands which now do not exist

well they had to dig channels everywhere, how else were they supposed to get all that delicious oil out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

smug jeebus posted:

I'm no expert but this feels like a bad place to build a city

It seemed like a less bad place before the soil dried and oxidised and shrunk.