Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hot, humid, day? Your flour will weigh more from absorbing water from the air, so take that into account and use and less water, and your yeast will rise faster, too (if you just have it rise on a counter, most pro or expert home cooks use a proofing drawer or just an oven set real low, like 100 F or what have you)

I was so ridiculously pleased with myself when I realised the proofing bowl fitted on my 3d printer heated bed, my wife rolled her eyes so far she needed surgery but even she uses it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cage posted:

It means the cushion is shaped exactly like shaquille o neals buttocks, you fool you idiot.

I heard he personally sits in everyone to form the mold.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1320775226649649158

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hot, humid, day? Your flour will weigh more from absorbing water from the air, so take that into account and use and less water, and your yeast will rise faster, too (if you just have it rise on a counter, most pro or expert home cooks use a proofing drawer or just an oven set real low, like 100 F or what have you)

An older oven, not turned on, with a regular globe light (not LED lights) works well for proofing because the light maintains a warm temperature and it's already an environment designed to keep heat in. Lots of ovens don't actually go down that far, the lowest setting on mine is 120°C.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh my gods gently caress you Tesco

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just hold it in. I swear, people will complain about anything.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If it’s a legitimate mensis, the :females: body has ways to try and shut the whole thing down

E. The quote was even dumber than I remembered.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Oct 29, 2020

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't there some US Senator who thought women could hold it in, and was astonished when he was told this wasn't the case? Anyone have a link to that story?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I mean, 40% of Republican men think that women schedule their periods based on the calendar month:
https://twitter.com/teemoneyusa/status/1166039803378511872

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tobermory posted:

I mean, 40% of Republican men think that women schedule their periods based on the calendar month:

That's literally not what the tweet says. And the way the poll question is worded was clearly written to get an intended result.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That's literally not what the tweet says. And the way the poll question is worded was clearly written to get an intended result.

Explain this? Reading the poll question I don't see how its written to get an intended result, and the tweeted expanation seems to fit with the question from the survey.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

Explain this? Reading the poll question I don't see how its written to get an intended result, and the tweeted expanation seems to fit with the question from the survey.

1. They asked Republicans if they were very very stupid about women's health issues

2. That's it, they knew exactly how it would turn out

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't there some US Senator who thought women could hold it in, and was astonished when he was told this wasn't the case? Anyone have a link to that story?

He wasn't wrong, the ladies just didn't know about that wonderful new labia-sealing product, Mensez, that is now ubiquitous because it was such an amazing idea

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Bloop posted:

1. They asked Republicans if they were very very stupid about women's health issues

2. That's it, they knew exactly how it would turn out

So wait the gotcha here is supposed to be the results are self evident?

That’s silly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

So wait the gotcha here is supposed to be the results are self evident?

That’s silly

I mean I'm being coy but the results were pretty self evident

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's lots of ways to word things to get the kinds of answers you're looking for. It's what salespeople, pollsters, and politicians basically do for a living.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Monkey posted:

Which survey? She links to this as the source of the data, and it's definitely the source of all the graphs posted in that thread, and I don't even see that question anywhere in it:

https://t.co/x0hhntaXhy?amp=1

She also points to this one, but again, that question isn't in it and it's a survey of teens, not adults, and there's nothing in there about periods either:

https://t.co/JXqb9OUZsq?amp=1

And searching it looks like the every other reference I can find for the survey asking that question is just the tweet itself. Every other tweet in that thread is a page from one of these two surveys, but that one about periods just seems to come from nowhere.

When you say "reading the poll question," do you mean you found the poll that asked this question, or do you just mean the tweet?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So is the question not real or manipulated.

Y’all got to coordinate this

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don't know, I went looking for the question and haven't found it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is it not in the tweet?

Something like:

quote:

Please check the box that reflects the accuracy of the following statements:

Most women get their periods at the first of the month (true) (not sure) (untrue)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Memento posted:

Is it not in the tweet?

It's not in the tweet. Of all her tweets in the thread, that's the only one not accompanied by the page from the survey the question was asked in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brawnfire posted:

He wasn't wrong, the ladies just didn't know about that wonderful new labia-sealing product, Mensez, that is now ubiquitous because it was such an amazing idea

Mensez is a chapstick that instantly seals flesh flaps together, and dissolves when a liquid of the correct ph is poured over the join. Like crazyglue, but able to instantly and painlessly dissolve at will. Obviously DARPA seized the entire supply which is why it isn't available in stores yet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I thought they were talking about the first question. There’s no way that I can even conceive of the second question being ‘tricky’ in any way.

That said, I also looked and couldn’t find the second question anywhere, but it confirms my biases so it’s definitely true.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tobermory posted:

9_6

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Were you supposed to send that one, Google?

OK that looks better.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

We will only be selling essential products. This does not include sanitary products. Toilet paper is a luxury, not a right. You can live without it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, yeah, bread is a lot more precise than, say, cakes or cookies.

I think the average person can make perfectly fine cake, cookies, brownies, etc... by just volumetric measurements. If you have like 10-15% more or less flour or whatever than the recipe calls for, it ultimtely won't affect it that much.

But bread? drat, man, yeast is picky, and gluten formation (or lack thereof for certain bread varieties,) is critical and can be affected by so many things.

My basic bread recipe is a very rough estimation on all steps. It works because you want the resulting dough to have a specific texture right when you're done mixing it together.. It it's too dry, or too wet/sticky you can throw in a little extra water or flour and continue mixing until it is the correct texture.

3 cups water, microwaved to near body temp. I usually nuke 2 cups then add 1 cup cold tap water. It should feel warm and cozy. It should not feel like heated pool water (too cold) or a fever (too warm). Aim high, dip your finger in it, if it's too hot, let it cool down before you do anything else.

1 tablespoon yeast into the mixing bowl with water

1.5 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 tablespoon table salt into the bowl with water

stir briefly to disperse the yeast and salt

6 1/2 cups flour. AP is fine. scoop and level. do not compact or sift the flour.

stir with a big wooden spoon until it is dough, a bit on the wet and sticky side. it should cling to the spoon, and then cling to your fingers when you try to scrape the spoon clean. just a big wet wad somewhere between dough and paste. if it is too dry, add 1/2 cup water and stir. too wet, add 1/2 cup flour and stir.

let it rise in the bowl for at least 2 hours, covered by a towel. in the summer, you might be able to get away with just 1 hour. in the winter, you could leave it and work an 8 hour shift then come home and it's ready.

BAKIN TIME

the recipe should yield 4 balls of dough that are like a big grapefruit. flour your counter, flour your hands, then scoop out the dough in 4 balls. push all the weird hangy bits into the bottom, so the top of each ball is smooth and the bottom is a puckered rear end hole. dust the tops lightly with flour and cover for 30 min with a towel.

dip a steak knife in water (and re-dip between each ball), then cut a few slashes into the top of each ball. no deeper than a fingernail. it can be an X. it can be 3 parallel slashes. make like a palm leaf or wheat sheaf, i don't fuckin care just put some slashes on that ball

preheat oven to 450. flour a baking tray and put 1-2 loafs on the tray. put the tray on the top rack. on the bottom rack put a casserole or bread dish with 1 cup of water. the water vapor Does A Chemistry during baking and you get a fantastic crusty crust on your bread.

set timer for 30 minutes, and then just keep looking at the bread. you want a nice dark golden brown crust. take it out when it's the right color. hold your ear up to the bread and hear the crust crackling. inhale the smell of fresh baked bread. wow this is good and you made it from literally nothing but flour water yeast and a pinch of salt. repeat the baking steps for the other 2 balls of dough. give one loaf to a family member. give one loaf to a neighbor. keep 2 loafs for yourself. after bread has cooled, you can brush it with a napkin if you put a little bit too much flour on the baking sheet or top of the loaf.

it looks like a lot when written out but it's very intuitive in practice. It is more like other types of cooking than actual baking. I can cook a million things on the stovetop without looking up a recipe. this is the only thing I can bake without looking up the recipe. It costs like 25 cents and it's better than the $8 artisan pain de campagne from the store with its own bakery (because it is the same thing, except you get to eat it when it's fresh out the oven). goes really well with a soup or stew in a slow cooker, so you spend maybe 20 minutes actively prepping/cooking, the rest is letting it rise or cooking in the oven/slow cooker

once you've done it a couple times, it's the same level of effort as making an omelette or spaghetti sauce. when i make it from memory, it's "3 cup warm water, 1 spoon yeast, 1.5 spoon salt, 6.5 cup flour. mix, cover until dinner. flour counter, flour hands, make 4 balls dough. dust with flour, cover 30 min. slash with wet knife. bake 450 on floured sheet for 30 min" and all those other details just become muscle memory from having made it before

wait a minute what thread am i even posting in

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Well, I can at least congratulate you for not doing the standard thing Bread People do, which is give you three or four sentence recipes and then a couple paragraphs insisting how easy it is, and then leaving out 80% of the recipe because you should have KNOWN how to do it because of how EASY it is. Still gonna ding you for giving all the steps, but still saying that it's "intuitive", like everybody should be able to figure out complex food chemistry by opening their minds to the Wheat Force.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And I'll give credit for the shortest preamble before getting to a recipe I've seen on the internet. Usually its about 30 paragraphs of "I've always felt a special connection with the italian countryside, and in many ways I feel like this recipe draws on that. My family love it, and let me tell you about the first time I made this for my son, Mason....". I mean, I'm not going to try baking it (its bread, they sell that poo poo in shops now which seems easier) but I will give credit for that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think everyone has seen this, but it gets me every time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WITCHCRAFT posted:

We will only be selling essential products. This does not include sanitary products. Toilet paper is a luxury, not a right. You can live without it.

My basic bread recipe

Good point. You could use bread as toilet paper. Thanks for the tip!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Platystemon posted:

I think everyone has seen this, but it gets me every time.

I've seen this posted at least a dozen times and I cri laugh everytiem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Movember/status/1321819400249450497

Should we maybe have a think about what we're actually saying here? Nahh, run with it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if they just specify "male astronauts", then it wouldn't be a problem...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

if they just specify "male astronauts", then it wouldn't be a problem...

I mean there would definitely still be a causation/correlation and/or causal direction problem, just less sexism

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Nobody wins if you try to say that women can't have mustaches. Further it says that gender doesn't matter when it comes to wanting to be an astronaut. It's probably the best way they could've gone here.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Where's the seventh astronaut

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Gort posted:

Where's the seventh astronaut

Taking the photo of course.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What do astronauts even actually do? The job provides no actual tangible benefit to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hope I used tangible correctly