Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something nice I wasn't expecting in GTAV was the help it gives you if you repeatedly fail a mission. Sometimes it stops spawning in particular threats, and if you fail a few times, you can choose to skip to the next segment of a mission. That doesn't solve all of its difficulty issues and there are still plenty of weirdly long segments without any checkpoint help, but it's nice and more than I expected from the game.

Something I really like with Rockstar games in general in this regard is the in-mission conversations all have multiple variations on them, so you're not getting the same lines rehashed after every single time you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds of of Saint's Row The Third; the Boss voice you choose (out of seven, including an incoherent zombie grunt iirc) will have different lines, and responses from the other characters, for nearly every conversation... even the ones where the Boss is impersonating the STAG commander, using their voice actor, but has entirely different lines fitting to the personality of the voice you've chosen. One of the male Boss voices will hit on his second in command, while one of the female ones will talk about Pierce who she's clearly attracted to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Veotax posted:

Not quite the same, but Final Fantasy XIV usually gives you a warning before a really long string of cutscenes.

"Several long cutscenes will play in sequence, please set aside enough time before proceeding"

It's serious too, the first time that comes up it's about 45 minutes of unbroken cutscenes.
I've always wondered, whenever I saw one of those "don't turn your computer off while this symbol is on-screen" messages, what would cause a person to lose all reason and suddenly switch their computer off. A 45-minute cutscene would probably do it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

I've always wondered, whenever I saw one of those "don't turn your computer off while this symbol is on-screen" messages, what would cause a person to lose all reason and suddenly switch their computer off. A 45-minute cutscene would probably do it.

I mean you'd think, but never ever underestimate how stupid people are with anything computer related.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

Reminds me of how my PS4 tries to shame me whenever the power goes out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

Reminds me of how my PS4 tries to shame me whenever the power goes out.

Lol that just happened the other evening. Yes I know you're not happy but I don't need to read your big warning screen for the dozenth time.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

it's for like any impossibly brief dip in power, too, like if my coffee maker clock doesn't even start blinking why are you out here calling me an irresponsible piece of garbage for utility issues beyond my control, product?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

The time I learned the lesson of save often across multiple slots was when I lost my Dark Cloud 2 save to a power flicker.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that is the true Dark Chronicle

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AC Odyssey is kind of blowing my mind, I'm like 70 hours in at this point and Kassandra can teleport, fall from great heights without taking damage, and can launch tactical nukes from her bow. She's also real and strong and my friend. And I'm only 40~% through the game!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Biplane posted:

AC Odyssey is kind of blowing my mind, I'm like 70 hours in at this point and Kassandra can teleport, fall from great heights without taking damage, and can launch tactical nukes from her bow. She's also real and strong and my friend. And I'm only 40~% through the game!

I've heard about Greek fire, but this is ridiculous!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I restated odyssey after playing through a large part of unity and its just incredible how far the game has evolved and how good the series is at this point. I played through it with alexios the first time and chose Kassandra this time around since everybody told me she's so much better, and she is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kassandra's arms are their own character.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Do you have tickets to this gun show, malakas?”

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Watching LPs of Breath of the Wild made me by a Switch. I guess to some extent I was enjoying a climbing/exploring style of gameplay already because of Death Stranding, but with BOTW you can climb anything, glide down to places, and then just fast travel back up to somewhere you've already visited for zero cost. This is the first Legend of Zelda game I've approached with any hype since Majora's Mask, and it's actually kind of exciting because it's threatening. Weapons and shields break in the middle of fights, you need to make or find food to restore health, the different environments of heat and cold can kill you just from exposure, and enemies will one hit kill you without warning. It has been unexpectedly challenging.

What's funny is that I still have this mental block in my brain of wanting to tap A to roll everywhere like an N64 Zelda game despite not playing one for over a decade, which has messed me up constantly because X is the jump button in BOTW.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something nice I wasn't expecting in GTAV was the help it gives you if you repeatedly fail a mission. Sometimes it stops spawning in particular threats, and if you fail a few times, you can choose to skip to the next segment of a mission. That doesn't solve all of its difficulty issues and there are still plenty of weirdly long segments without any checkpoint help, but it's nice and more than I expected from the game.

Resident Evil 4 (and maybe the later games I dunno) had something similar, where if you die to a particular room repeatedly, it stops spawning certain enemies to make the room easier.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

I forget about most of the bow abilities in game, but the super exploding arrow one is a keeper. You just point at a group and let fly. I used to clear out the crowd around a nation leader, and it knocked half of them off the wall to their death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheMostFrench posted:

Watching LPs of Breath of the Wild made me by a Switch. I guess to some extent I was enjoying a climbing/exploring style of gameplay already because of Death Stranding, but with BOTW you can climb anything, glide down to places, and then just fast travel back up to somewhere you've already visited for zero cost. This is the first Legend of Zelda game I've approached with any hype since Majora's Mask, and it's actually kind of exciting because it's threatening. Weapons and shields break in the middle of fights, you need to make or find food to restore health, the different environments of heat and cold can kill you just from exposure, and enemies will one hit kill you without warning. It has been unexpectedly challenging.

What's funny is that I still have this mental block in my brain of wanting to tap A to roll everywhere like an N64 Zelda game despite not playing one for over a decade, which has messed me up constantly because X is the jump button in BOTW.

And once you're less concerned with shield durability you can also slide down hills and mountains.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The BotW paraglider is so good it slightly worsens every open world game where you can't just casually jump off of any tall object to glide away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember talking to the developers of Shadow of Mordor and they mentioned that game originally had fall damage but they removed it for testing and realized it made the game way more fun so they left it that way.

I wish every developer with open world games would make the same realization

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I remember talking to the developers of Shadow of Mordor and they mentioned that game originally had fall damage but they removed it for testing and realized it made the game way more fun so they left it that way.

Unless it's a linear game with platforming puzzles expressly built around getting down a large cliffside in some areas, fall damage has absolutely no place in a game.

Like, in Ghosts of Tsushima Legends, the fall damage was removed and it makes things so much cooler when you can just leap off cliffs to go to objectives.

There's nothing fun about realizing that you need to stumble down a cliff to get to your objective.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Spelunky 2: The game's framing device is that you've gone to the moon to find your missing parents (and in search of treasure naturally). When you beat the game, you unlock Dad Spelunky and Mom Spelunky as playable characters. But what's also cool is that they show up in the pre-game hub with all your other characters and you can talk to them. They have unique dialogue when you're playing as Daughter Spelunky, but also when you're playing as either Mom or Dad talking to the other. It's a fun little touch and it made me :unsmith: to have Dad Spelunky say "I'm so proud of you, kiddo!" after I came back from a tough successful run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I kind of like the Dishonoured compromise, where you take fall damage UNLESS you land on a mook to break your fall

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I kind of like the Dishonoured compromise, where you take fall damage UNLESS you land on a mook to break your fall

https://i.imgur.com/F8KlvaD.mp4
Figuring out that special attacks overrule fall damage was a great moment in Ghost of Tsushima :black101:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ImpAtom posted:

Assassin Creed: Odyssey initially has fall damage but it will never kill you. Than at level 20 you will start doing tactical rolls and you won’t even be scratched.

It’s pretty great for a game that wants you to climb up to high spots and then jump down into a bail of hay a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Using some poor sap to break your fall has been the coolest way to jump off a building in video games ever since Valve made it a mechanic in Left 4 Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og1us74EY8&t=12s

Listen to that sweet, solid thud.

edit: I remember back in the day you knew you got a 25+ damage one by the extra bone crunch sound and the split-second stutter between hitting the survivor and the pin animation starting.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Oct 29, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

The Secret World is mostly a bad game but during development Ragnar Tornquist was supposedly playing and jumped off a thing and died and demanded they remove fall damage. It messed with his sense of exploration and the game turned out for the better because of it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind fall damage if there's a way to save yourself because if you jump off something high then you know to use that method and if you can't use the method because you get stuck in an animation from being hurt then it makes fighting near cliffs risky (as it should be).

But some games like Ghost of Tsushima have a height threshold that still kills you even if you do the roll and it's tough to know what that height is. It's why I don't get why some fans want Spider-Man to have fall damage. In a game about a superhuman character leaping up and down and across rooftops, how is the player supposed to know the point at which his huge jumps will hurt? It can't be intuitive at all so it would need some dedicated audio or visual cue.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Fall damage is only acceptable when its primary purpose is to enable you to kick, shove, or otherwise knock people into falling to death.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Fall damage only as a result of a physics engine that the game allows me to exploit. Consistent rules is all I'm asking for.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo 2 had fall damage until they added the sword and people would kill themselves when the lunge animation made them hit something too solid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite moment of fall damage in video games is right after the start of Nier Automata. You land on top of a building and get a nice view of the surroundings, and then there's a special voice line if you decide to jump right off the side and splat for 99% damage instead of floating down safely using your pod.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My favorite fall damage thing in games is N, the old game where you play a ninja dodging robots and grabbing gold. It implements fall damage, quite reasonably, as "if you hit a surface too hard, you die" (there's no health, just dead/alive). Turns out that if you have a sufficiently long vertical shaft, you can walljump up it and gain enough vertical speed to die from "falling" damage as you hit the ceiling.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite instance of fall damage was someone tweeting about how you could run forward too fast going down stairs in Shadow Warrior and end up dying from the fall damage, so the dev offered to make a special patch for the person that'll disable fall damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final level of Shadow Warrior puts you directly at the top of an enormous flight of stairs you can either cinematically walk down slowly and approach the boss like a cool guy, or do the dash move having forgotten about the fall damage stairs thing and fling yourself off from the top and splatter into gibs embarassingly right after a very serious story moment. It is fuckin awesome and I bet 2/3rds of players have done it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They should have made that a secret achievement.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

It can't be intuitive at all so it would need some dedicated audio or visual cue.
To be fair Spider-Man is the one character where you could just put in an obvious danger cue and it would only make the game more authentic to the source material.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

Spider Man With Fall Damage

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Using some poor sap to break your fall has been the coolest way to jump off a building in video games ever since Valve made it a mechanic in Left 4 Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og1us74EY8&t=12s

Listen to that sweet, solid thud.

edit: I remember back in the day you knew you got a 25+ damage one by the extra bone crunch sound and the split-second stutter between hitting the survivor and the pin animation starting.

If I remember right there was no damage cap and it was calculated by air time. So if you knew where to jump from you could just down someone instantly. They patched that because they hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zoig posted:

Fall damage is only acceptable when its primary purpose is to enable you to kick, shove, or otherwise knock people into falling to death.

Again with ac odyssey, my main strategy for difficult forts above my level is to sneak around, backstab people, and then lure them on top of something to spartan kick them off. The fact that spartan kicking is actually a skill shows that the devs actually want this to work. It's so satisfying to kick someone off and see the huge damage this does.

The fact that i have to use a tactic like this instead of choosing it, is however an unfortunate consequence of the worst decision the series had ever done, the leveling system. But that's for the things ths tbother you thread.