Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That HUD looks awful, why is it so busy? There is just random dots and numbers all over the place. A HUD doesn't need to display every piece of possible information, it's supposed to be a concise easy to ready display that you can glance at in combat.

EDIT:
Why are there so many random dots and lines that appear to serve no purpose??

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Popete posted:

That HUD looks awful, why is it so busy? There is just random dots and numbers all over the place. A HUD doesn't need to display every piece of possible information, it's supposed to be a concise easy to ready display that you can glance at in combat.

EDIT:

F35 HUD

https://images.app.goo.gl/nwMZu7BgDW9SV5vL9

One results in a kill the other results in "what the gently caress is that?" dead

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

monkeytek posted:

F35 HUD

https://images.app.goo.gl/nwMZu7BgDW9SV5vL9

One results in a kill the other results in "what the gently caress is that?" dead

If F35 pilots could handle a high fedility hud they would be astronaughts

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Popete posted:

Also what happened with that dumb UEE election? I'm sure whoever won is making a big impact in game.

In the what now?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1318968423297110016

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

"If you don't have it fun with a cube and a sphere, you can put all the pretty paint on top of it you want, and it won't be fun"

- Dan Trufin, Lead Systems Designer CIG

lmao, if only this guy was around 8 years ago to tell Chris that.

Holy crap, he really did go there

(Also turns out that Chris’s head-in-hands mugging was due to a 'CRINGE-TASTIC' SQ42 finale scene. Even more fitting :allears:)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 30, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Cyberpunk is in so much trouble I swear

BARTENDER PATRONS IGNORE PLAYER CAUSING CLIENT CRASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzDU9WVegnQ

* Guy with monster rig stands in dystopian bar, while NPCs perch drinks in mid air
* 1 minute later he manages to order a drink
* 2 minutes later the bartender starts making the drink
* 3 seconds later the game crashes

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

EDIT:

Just wait for the elevator panels. :cool:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mailer posted:

FS2020 is a hack job from some mediocre dev. You might think you're flying over a farm, but it's just satellite imagery with some bland fakery on top of it. In CIG's Earth, you'll be able to fly down to that farm and meet the farmer who will have his own hopes and dreams and will react to you based on how his life is going. This is all tracked server-side thanks to icache or quanta or something that looks like a lot of writing on a whiteboard. It might be a player, enjoying the game by never leaving that farm or seeing space because that's Star Citizen and you can't tell the NPCs from the players. Then you'll hide in the barn with lust on your mind.

That's not my fault, Ram Ranch really rocks.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Corncrobbled again :argh:

https://i.imgur.com/4DdIqTz.mp4

(there's audio if the mic in his face doesn't make it obvious)

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Pixelate posted:

Cyberpunk is in so much trouble I swear

BARTENDER PATRONS IGNORE PLAYER CAUSING CLIENT CRASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzDU9WVegnQ

* Guy with monster rig stands in dystopian bar, while NPCs perch drinks in mid air
* 1 minute later he manages to order a drink
* 2 minutes later the bartender starts making the drink
* 3 seconds later the game crashes

i thought everything in this world was "fully physicalized" but at like 1:35 in the video, the player instantly swaps outfits in the middle of a bar?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
it'd be cool if every player was constantly wearing every outfit they own. and then when you change outfits they just keep ripping off layers like velcro track suits until it gets to the outfit you chose.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Defiance Industries posted:

That's not my fault, Ram Ranch really rocks.

18 naked Citizens in the showers at Crob Ranch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nicholas posted:

it'd be cool if every player was constantly wearing every outfit they own. and then when you change outfits they just keep ripping off layers like velcro track suits until it gets to the outfit you chose.

All the whales would be stuck like Ralphie's brother in Christmas Story. :haw:

I can't put my arms down!!! :cry:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This is the evolution of Star Citizen's design philosophy in one picture. You might have to right click and open in another window to enlarge:

1: Normal HUD. Readable. Screens are poorly positioned but big enough to be usable. Understands that is a video game. Immovable chat window obscures whatever that top-left information is. Screens from left to right: your ship, radar, enemy ship. Simple.

2: Holy poo poo. They didn't bother to fix the chat bug, but they sure hosed everything else. Hundreds of tiny, incomprehensible screens, each one requiring that the user hold down a button and use the mouse to interact with them, essentially preventing them from flying the ship. But they sure look fidelitous! Screens, left to right: Heat signature (useless), power (useless), your ship, radar (now broken), enemy target (also broken), your ship again but without the model this time (useless), component power (useless). Just loaded with pointless bullshit.

3: To go even further beyond. They are now actively placing a major element in the area that will collide with the chat in their design picture, they have learned nothing. The new HUD color is sure to be obscured by any reasonably bright surface. The screens are even tinier and less comprehensible, but they look like a movie fighter cockpit. Most of the numbers on-screen do not represent anything meaningful at all. Screens, left to right: power triangle (useless, will be obscured), your ship + random numbers, enemy ship + random numbers, random numbers + circles. Only one panel conveys anything even approaching coherent information. The most critical element, the radar, no longer even features in their design thought process.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking, with the long elevator rides, the long corridors, the unexplainable length of animations, are they just smoke and mirrors / "loading screens" to ensure the server has enough time to resync with the player?

Otherwise what's the logic in all this time-wasting bullshit?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

no_recall posted:

I was just thinking, with the long elevator rides, the long corridors, the unexplainable length of animations, are they just smoke and mirrors / "loading screens" to ensure the server has enough time to resync with the player?

yes

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lets do a year end raffle for the inevitable upcoming poo poo sale since there's no shitizen's conned. Prizes will be a copy of cyperpunk'ed + 2x humble monthlies cause this thread has given me a lot of entertainment this year.

Please note : You must have a Platinum Account with PM's turned ON to receive the reward.

e: I'm half drunk and its the afternoon here, the event is still drat far away, I will repost with the start date when we're closer to IAE 2950.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 30, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

Sort of yes: it is not a sync issue, but they do not load everything to the client at once. CryEngine maps eat up a shitload of memory with all the art objects glued all over them, so Star Citizen tries to avoid ever presenting more than one at a time to the client to handle. It is possible that the server itself unloads these areas until a player is present, but I don't really know how all of that functions.

The cities are not loaded until you get there. This is why entry/exit to the big maps is so gated via the landing areas. They do not load in the rest of the city until you are on the train headed towards them- Microtech currently has some fun bugs where the new map sections will not load, and your train will continually stop in the middle of an abyss. If you watch the trains take off, you'll see the area you are leaving instantly unload and be replaced by a blank tunnel wall as well.

This is also why the big stations are now being divided up into "Decks" that are large physical distances away from each other, and also why none of the elevators have ever been given windows. It's all to get around the asset limit. However, the long QT times appear to be unrelated.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think its funny how SC insists on using displays on the cockpit when even moden fighter jets have HUD integrated into the helmet so pilots can move their head freely.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WaltherFeng posted:

I think its funny how SC insists on using displays on the cockpit when even moden fighter jets have HUD integrated into the helmet so pilots can move their head freely.

WWII in space, baby!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

However, the long QT times appear to be unrelated.

QT length should be due to the fact that they are trying some cross server shenanigans that isn't working out the way they're hoping. Cryengine back in my day used XML data for everything, nothing is dynamic and everything has to be loaded on to the client. It would appear that the QT length is due because a request is probably sent to the server to sync player data with the server and destination state data with the player / client.

The fact that the mean time for some QT jumps are hilariously long makes me think that a 3 year old is building their backend.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

no_recall posted:

QT length should be due to the fact that they are trying some cross server shenanigans that isn't working out the way they're hoping. Cryengine back in my day used XML data for everything, nothing is dynamic and everything has to be loaded on to the client. It would appear that the QT length is due because a request is probably sent to the server to sync player data with the server and destination state data with the player / client.

The fact that the mean time for some QT jumps are hilariously long makes me think that a 3 year old is building their backend.

Or that the backend is just some monstrosity built out of hopes and stupidity.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If Disco wasn't cringey enough, amateur headhunter second-life-avatar guy had to add some cringe to it.

Popete posted:

Also what happened with that dumb UEE election? I'm sure whoever won is making a big impact in game.
I checked spectrum thread and they should announce results on 1st of November. I am sure it still won't change anything.

Sarsapariller posted:

This is the evolution of Star Citizen's design philosophy in one picture. You might have to right click and open in another window to enlarge:

This makes me appreciate clarity of Elite's HUD so much more.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 30, 2020

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham
Now I want to see a CIG Obra Dinn clone

Walk around an Idris full of glitchy dead commandos clipping through the geometry

Try to figure out which bug caused each death

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

Walk around an Idris full of glitchy dead commandos clipping through the geometry

The answer for all: Chris Roberts is behind it all.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

1: Normal HUD. Readable. Screens are poorly positioned but big enough to be usable. Understands that is a video game. Immovable chat window obscures whatever that top-left information is. Screens from left to right: your ship, radar, enemy ship. Simple.

2: Holy poo poo. They didn't bother to fix the chat bug, but they sure hosed everything else. Hundreds of tiny, incomprehensible screens, each one requiring that the user hold down a button and use the mouse to interact with them, essentially preventing them from flying the ship. But they sure look fidelitous! Screens, left to right: Heat signature (useless), power (useless), your ship, radar (now broken), enemy target (also broken), your ship again but without the model this time (useless), component power (useless). Just loaded with pointless bullshit.

3: To go even further beyond. They are now actively placing a major element in the area that will collide with the chat in their design picture, they have learned nothing. The new HUD color is sure to be obscured by any reasonably bright surface. The screens are even tinier and less comprehensible, but they look like a movie fighter cockpit. Most of the numbers on-screen do not represent anything meaningful at all. Screens, left to right: power triangle (useless, will be obscured), your ship + random numbers, enemy ship + random numbers, random numbers + circles. Only one panel conveys anything even approaching coherent information. The most critical element, the radar, no longer even features in their design thought process.

I see enough art assets for 3 games....yet I see no games?

Game development might be hard but CIG only develop art so they can only speculate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DGP Space Lion posted:

While Obra Dinn's death reasons are lengthy and some are humorous, they probably couldn't hold a candle to what SC's version would be.

I picked up Obra Dinn last night. After a while got the hang of it and felt pretty good identifying the first group of three or so. Then it went downhill from there real quick.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

While Obra Dinn's death reasons are lengthy and some are humorous, they probably couldn't hold a candle to what SC's version would be.

I picked up Obra Dinn last night. After a while got the hang of it and felt pretty good identifying the first group of three or so. Then it went downhill from there real quick.

That's normal, don't give up. It's the point where imo the game overwhelmes you and doesn't explain much. Just keep going.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

An important thing to realise about Obra Dinn is that everything is a clue, not just in the murder scene but in every other scene; in the current-time scene; and pretty much every page in the note book.

Ship map? Clues.
Manifest? Tons of clues — in every column. Even the one that you don't think of as a column at first.
Passenger drawing? Omfgwtfcluevaganza.
Text captions? Well, yeah, clues.

There are a few bodies that require a bit of out-of-game knowledge, and those can be pretty cruel, but they're still not obscure enough not to be subject to pretty simple rules of elimination. Also, if you haven't had a ton of exposure to English dialects and accents, some distinctions can be a bit tricky, but they're not requried to figure out the answer — they just help.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 30, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thoatse posted:

Corncrobbled again :argh:

https://i.imgur.com/4DdIqTz.mp4

(there's audio if the mic in his face doesn't make it obvious)

“mr chairman, what is your opinion on the current electoral campaign in the verse?“

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Still not off the starting grid...

https://i.imgur.com/wJKHK0u.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5FtGifL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4T7YGwu.mp4

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tippis posted:

There are a few bodies that require a bit of out-of-game knowledge, and those can be pretty cruel, but they're still not obscure enough not to be subject to pretty simple rules of elimination. Also, if you haven't had a ton of exposure to English dialects and accents, some distinctions can be a bit tricky, but they're not requried to figure out the answer — they just help.

I actually had to read up on some stuff on the net, like uniforms of that age, and that added a lot more to the overall experience. I agree that I'd say three fates are pretty hard to solve without beeing able to identify the dialect.

I have to say the only death I had to lookup after more than an hour looking at the scenes around it was

the death of the two guys beeing blasted by the cannon. I had the names correct (I was sure), the cause of death, but it would never register...I spent so much time identifying the person that lit the cannon, but somehow my stupid brain never thought off the monster beeing the shooter...I mean you can see why the cannon shoots the wrong way, but I still never thought of that solution/didn't realize it was even possible...

...sometimes you can totally run into a dead end for quite some time only to go for the big old facepalm once you see the solution

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
dozens of streamers laughing directly at the game is great

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Goat Simulator sequel for $300 million

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tuo posted:

I actually had to read up on some stuff on the net, like uniforms of that age, and that added a lot more to the overall experience. I agree that I'd say three fates are pretty hard to solve without beeing able to identify the dialect.

I have to say the only death I had to lookup after more than an hour looking at the scenes around it was

the death of the two guys beeing blasted by the cannon. I had the names correct (I was sure), the cause of death, but it would never register...I spent so much time identifying the person that lit the cannon, but somehow my stupid brain never thought off the monster beeing the shooter...I mean you can see why the cannon shoots the wrong way, but I still never thought of that solution/didn't realize it was even possible...

...sometimes you can totally run into a dead end for quite some time only to go for the big old facepalm once you see the solution

On the spoiler, that's another thing that the game does pretty brilliantly: the answers available aren't restricted and often allow for interpretation without calling out outright “wrong”. That instance is the only one that really forces it. But I think it is also intended to be an early hint and pseudo-tutorial that, yeah, this isn't Clue; the answer isn't always “Colonel Mustard™ in the Library® with the Candlestick©”. The way the facts can be combined allows for some odd potential answers, and this means something for how some bodies are resolved. Again: the game-interface itself almost is a clue.

Sure, in that particular scene, it can be a bit annoying because it requires a lot to click at once but still.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

getting into a ship is more lethal than CoD - they weren't lying

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Gameplay that doesn’t cut anything else would have to start with you as a baby and take more than one minute to make for every one minute of gameplay, which explains why this game has never come out.

I, too, wanted to spend nearly two decades in the vault before witnessing Megaton. Bethesda was almost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Picture gone. Can you repost?