Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

StarkingBarfish posted:

One thing that I've noticed is party leaders always just look completely hosed after a few weeks in post. Bojo turned to warmed up dogshit particularly quickly, but Starmer has got this miserable puffy gammon face to him that he didn't have before.... both May and Cameron ended looking much the worse for wear too. Corbyn managed to escape that.

corbyn looked like an oldass man going in and looked slightly older coming out

but yeah kier is rapidly degenerating into a hog, its way too on the nose

e: 322AD. Empress Yang Xianrong dies. Having survived the 'orrible Eight Princes period and being deposed and reinstated half a dozen times. Escaped execution a couple times and survived her husbands overthrow by marrying the new emperor, who she seems to have liked possibly.
Has a somewhat happy ending with a stable family and kids, happily doesn't live to see them all be executed when her new husband is also overthrown shortly after her death.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

supressing your humanity really takes it out of you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ItohRespectArmy posted:

It's 100% this.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like the thread as it is a digest of stuff I don't like looking at/putting up with (Twitter/Telegraph) with some politics/theory chat and then other bits and pieces. I wouldn't really say its toxic (have you read other threads in DND? lol) but sometimes pile ons can happen - I don't think this is that malicious against the person, rather the ideas they represent, so calling someone a oval office and to get the gently caress out of the thread etc. is more placed towards abstractions rather than if that person actually is a oval office.

Not like people go round kicking dogs faces off or voting Tory or what have you. Has a gen-u-ine Tory ever been in the thread?

In other fun news, looks like we're going to reach the 1m total infected mark tomorrow

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

761 dead this week

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think being PM is just a ridiculously stressful job i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy

but somehow my worst enemies get the job regardless

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1322182016721428480

Not bothering to rehost it, but I've started noticing these little reminders of pre-lockdown life more and more around London. Of course they've been there for months, but my brain's starting to pick them up more and more and I'll admit to understanding (while not agreeing with, of course) the anti-lockdown anti-mask lot more and more, and this is the one that really kicked me in the bollocks today when I realised what I was looking at. For reference, these no-parking signs are all round Stratford to stop visitors crowding out local residents for parking when there is either a West Ham match or a concert or other event on at the London Stadium (the former Olympic stadium if you're really not paying attention). The match on the 15th of March against Wolves was postponed when the Premiership suspended the competition as the country went into lockdown, and games have been played behind closed doors since.

I know I'll get poo poo from both non-football fans for caring about football, and from football fans for caring about our soulless toilet bowl of a white elephant stadium, but right now I miss being in the crowd - even the tutting sullen near-silence of a typical West Ham game - almost as much as I miss birthday parties and other family events, and TBH more than I miss say going to the pub with non-football friends.

There's a feeling you get in a football crowd, even if only fleetingly, that nothing else on earth can replicate. It really is a drug, a connection to a mass of people that no other event can really match. The singing is one thing of course, but the feeling when something truly amazing happens - a last-minute winner, or a world-class goal, or even a particularly juicy foul - is like a complete erasure of the ego. You jump around like an idiot, hugging strangers and bellowing words unknown to any linguist, screaming, laughing. To someone who's lived their whole life in London and considers even making eye contact on the tube to be an outrageous overstepping of the boundaries of modern society, and has that particularly crippling form of English understatement of emotions, it's as alien and enlightening a situation as ever experienced by Timothy Leary.

I'm posting this here rather than in TRP because really this is a post about mental health and dealing with alienation and depression more than it is about a child's game that is unaccountably richer than God, and I just wanted to get it off my chest without some tedious prick talking about how poo poo the new ground is or whatever. We know it's poo poo, but it's not like we had any loving choice in the matter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sassassin posted:

Needs to lay off the booze.

you know i thought the cartoon with the head was a bit much in terms of how they drew him but now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, the ones I feel sorry for are the old blokes who go along to Ross County games (& I assume every other club in the country has them) seemingly just to berate the players, presumably out of envy for them being one foot in the grave & the players being in their prime. Don't know how they'll have coped with 9 months of being unable to yell "YA MEWCH" at a 19 year old making his first appearance as a sub.

There was always something slightly therapeutic about going to the football, the sense of community & also just screaming that the referee is blind until your voice goes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine working for the Labour Party and needing to handle a quarter million new members signing up at once, and and then having to process all of their resignations a few years later.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine working for the Labour Party

no thanks lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Don’t be too hard on yourself Azza, your cartoons were funny and everyone makes mistakes.

I definitely feel the crowds thing. My partner spent a good hour watching videos of small gigs they’d been to the other night, longing to have that crowd connection. It sucks because the best part of those events is the very thing that makes them an issue right now. You can’t do them in a socially distanced way because the whole point is the fun of social closeness.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like what an absolutely squandered potential.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potential yes but squandered would depend on whether you want what they want. Much of the party does not.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah this year has been extremely poo poo, obviously that is true for everyone but it's only really hit me the last few weeks with this second lockdown looming (and I've basically been treating it as in place this whole time really). I hadn't realised how much going out for a burger or a burrito every so often or the tabletop game I play with my friend did wonders for my mental health, now I'm just in that lovely state of mind where I'm counting down the days until the next thing comes out, like a game or a new tv show.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I strongly recommend if you have the opportunity to take a packed lunch and find somewhere to go for a walk in the countryside. Walk until you find something interesting and then eat. It's harder to do in winter but I find it very fulfilling.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ItohRespectArmy posted:

He was a criminal barrister, whatever humanity he had shrivelled & died a long time ago

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not bothering to rehost it, but I've started noticing these little reminders of pre-lockdown life more and more around London.
A while back I was in a sandwich shop flicking through an events guide from February about poo poo that didn't happen, and yeah, it was surreal, like you say it was like seeing a prop from a post apoc movie

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1322182016721428480

Not bothering to rehost it, but I've started noticing these little reminders of pre-lockdown life more and more around London. Of course they've been there for months, but my brain's starting to pick them up more and more and I'll admit to understanding (while not agreeing with, of course) the anti-lockdown anti-mask lot more and more, and this is the one that really kicked me in the bollocks today when I realised what I was looking at. For reference, these no-parking signs are all round Stratford to stop visitors crowding out local residents for parking when there is either a West Ham match or a concert or other event on at the London Stadium (the former Olympic stadium if you're really not paying attention). The match on the 15th of March against Wolves was postponed when the Premiership suspended the competition as the country went into lockdown, and games have been played behind closed doors since.

I know I'll get poo poo from both non-football fans for caring about football, and from football fans for caring about our soulless toilet bowl of a white elephant stadium, but right now I miss being in the crowd - even the tutting sullen near-silence of a typical West Ham game - almost as much as I miss birthday parties and other family events, and TBH more than I miss say going to the pub with non-football friends.

There's a feeling you get in a football crowd, even if only fleetingly, that nothing else on earth can replicate. It really is a drug, a connection to a mass of people that no other event can really match. The singing is one thing of course, but the feeling when something truly amazing happens - a last-minute winner, or a world-class goal, or even a particularly juicy foul - is like a complete erasure of the ego. You jump around like an idiot, hugging strangers and bellowing words unknown to any linguist, screaming, laughing. To someone who's lived their whole life in London and considers even making eye contact on the tube to be an outrageous overstepping of the boundaries of modern society, and has that particularly crippling form of English understatement of emotions, it's as alien and enlightening a situation as ever experienced by Timothy Leary.

I'm posting this here rather than in TRP because really this is a post about mental health and dealing with alienation and depression more than it is about a child's game that is unaccountably richer than God, and I just wanted to get it off my chest without some tedious prick talking about how poo poo the new ground is or whatever. We know it's poo poo, but it's not like we had any loving choice in the matter.

I'd be sympathetic with the anti-lockdown people if hospitals weren't a thing. Like we can all just ignore the dead and dying but the health system will fill up and then fail and then the knock on effects will hit everyone. It doesn't even make pragmatic sense. If you don't want society to slowly collapse the pandemic must be controlled. The hospitals must be protected. They can keep building extra hospitals but we don't have infinite staff. Which means we either control it or we start just arbitrarily killing infected, or leaving them to die at home which amounts to the same thing. And I worry that the 'lets go back to normal' crowd absolutely are up for a world where severe covid cases mean you get murdered in order to protect normality and the economy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

He was a criminal barrister
Accurate but potentially libelous.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'd be sympathetic with the anti-lockdown people if hospitals weren't a thing.
I can empathize with them being scared and confused and not culturally able to admit that so adopting a front of "just get things back to normal we'll be fine" or "this is the NWO putting the 5Gs in the GMOs" or whatever but also they're loving idiots.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's hard to see how suspending Corbyn ends well for Starmer. Right now it might please some Guardian journalists but to the average voter it just reminds them the party is divided. And in the future he has to either expel Corbyn (and lose an absolute shitload of left-wing members/voters) or re-admit him (and get a shitload of criticism for being soft on anti-semitism).

Really it just cements my opinion that he's nowhere near as savvy a political operator as he thinks he is.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Occasionally when I see some news about politics these days I check the UKMT to see what's going on because you tend to break it down well. Naturally, when Corbyn gets purged, I had a look over here to see what the gently caress is going on in Labour and a few people are asking where I am so they can give me a fair piece of their mind.

You're right, I was an idiot to think the lawyer guy would be any more moral than the filthiest right wing realpolitik. I regret my decision, and I've been nothing but a oval office for some time. I was completely broken by 2019 and rather than respond with the solidarity shown here, I've mostly checked out. I'm tired of having the same conversation with people who have everything morally right and nowhere to put it.

Also one poster did frequently hammer the point in that I completely misevaluated the threat of Covid at the start of this year and I want to mention I was wrong there, too.

I am everything you say I am: an idiot, a oval office, a lovely cartoonist.

There's nothing I can do to absolve myself but I just thought I'd let you know I'm not totally gone.

Please don't beat yourself up. You did nothing wrong apart from being taken in by Starmer's act as a huge number were, including me to some extent. And the vicious, over-the-top reaction to anyone suggesting Starmer might not be the devil incarnate is what drove me out of the thread for nearly a year.

The actual cunts here are the people who still jumped at the chance to call you names months after they drove you away. It's sad, bitter and uncomradely and people need to stop doing it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'd be sympathetic with the anti-lockdown people if hospitals weren't a thing. Like we can all just ignore the dead and dying but the health system will fill up and then fail and then the knock on effects will hit everyone. It doesn't even make pragmatic sense. If you don't want society to slowly collapse the pandemic must be controlled. The hospitals must be protected. They can keep building extra hospitals but we don't have infinite staff. Which means we either control it or we start just arbitrarily killing infected, or leaving them to die at home which amounts to the same thing. And I worry that the 'lets go back to normal' crowd absolutely are up for a world where severe covid cases mean you get murdered in order to protect normality and the economy.

this is what i find so frustrating here. people just ignore it sometimes and if you bring it up they accuse you of being unsympathetic to what it must be like for them to not be able to drink beers with friends (a literal argument).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Borrovan posted:

A while back I was in a sandwich shop flicking through an events guide from February about poo poo that didn't happen, and yeah, it was surreal, like you say it was like seeing a prop from a post apoc movie

I had my "Ah so this is like the apocalypse" moment a few months back while taking a walk by a school ground. I was in a field which was getting really overgrown and sitting forlornly and slightly buried in the grass was a rapidly disintegrating poster saying COVID 19 KEEP YOUR DISTANCE AND STAY ALERT. Really gave off massive vibes of a warning not heeded like the papers at the start of Day of the Dead.

namesake fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 30, 2020

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
depositchat; a long time back I moved out of a place and the landlord tried to take part of the deposit for blutak on a wall or some bullshit. My girlfriend at the time found him on facebook, saw he was getting married soon and messaged his fiance to explain that if he didn't give us the money back we would be appearing at the wedding. The deposit was swiftly returned, unconventional but effective I guess

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Occasionally when I see some news about politics these days I check the UKMT to see what's going on because you tend to break it down well. Naturally, when Corbyn gets purged, I had a look over here to see what the gently caress is going on in Labour and a few people are asking where I am so they can give me a fair piece of their mind.

You're right, I was an idiot to think the lawyer guy would be any more moral than the filthiest right wing realpolitik. I regret my decision, and I've been nothing but a oval office for some time. I was completely broken by 2019 and rather than respond with the solidarity shown here, I've mostly checked out. I'm tired of having the same conversation with people who have everything morally right and nowhere to put it.

Also one poster did frequently hammer the point in that I completely misevaluated the threat of Covid at the start of this year and I want to mention I was wrong there, too.

I am everything you say I am: an idiot, a oval office, a lovely cartoonist.

There's nothing I can do to absolve myself but I just thought I'd let you know I'm not totally gone.

Get off the cross, they need the wood. I voted for Nick Clegg in 2010 and that probably had more to do with my reaction than anything else. Admitting that and being called a stupid oval office for it at the time and then seeing that I was being a stupid oval office left some residual shame as well as pushing me more to the left and to be a more canny person, if obviously not smarter or nicer. It's hard to remember there are real people behind these posts sometimes and I apologise for going in with both feet.

And your cartoons are fine, don't take my posts for anything but anger.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
looking for some escapism rn so anyone got any good recommendations from the Steam sale? looks like pretty much anything even remotely close to a horror game has got some kind of discount

it'll be running on a Macbook (though using Windows) so nothing too graphics-intensive

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tooting my own horn a bit but fuckin hell, libs are bad at this. Thread.
https://twitter.com/Real_ManJackson/status/1322202571646390273?s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1322190869534068737

lmao

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Being online and keeping up with this thread, and listening to the pod makes me feel less insane and less alone. I tend mostly to listen to Trashfuture and PiP and occasionally Chapo because it's like relief - it's that feeling of "Yes, this is poo poo, we also feel like poo poo about it, now lets all have a laugh about how poo poo it is."

Yeah I think about this a lot. I felt really, really alone as a leftist before finding this thread, and similar people on twitter, and that maybe I was the crazy one.

Twitter can be shite and bad for your health, but if you go to efforts to curate your follows, delete people who are cunts or who are just posting stuff that makes you rage all the time, it can be nice.

Don't feel that you need to follow Piers Morgan or whoever because they "have a lot to say" or are "important" because usually if they post anything significant then somebody good will retweet their stuff with some kind of (often amusing) commentary on why they're a piece of poo poo. Better than getting it unfiltered for sure.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's cool. Learn from it and move on. Would be good to have you back around. The rest of us are all broken by all this poo poo going on in various ways/to various extents.

In other news - the deepfake model of Starmer is coming along. I've done a preliminary run-through of the process and got some results, and they're not awful! They're not great - bit blurry and low-res, but I'm reasonably confident in what I need to do to get better results, so now I'm starting again with higher-resolution sources and different settings.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

looking for some escapism rn so anyone got any good recommendations from the Steam sale? looks like pretty much anything even remotely close to a horror game has got some kind of discount

it'll be running on a Macbook (though using Windows) so nothing too graphics-intensive

Blood: Fresh Supply is loving amazing and they just released a new version of that mod Death Wish which is truly amazing, Dusk is the best FPS made in the past 20 years, Disco Elysium is the best CRPG ever made, I've played The Binding of Issac for what must amount to literally weeks of my life across multiple platforms and they're releasing a new expansion soon.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
To paraphrase Terry Pratchett, you can't have two LOTO in a hive. Slash! Stab!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Starmer presented with the most autopilot opposition and subsequent coronation in history and just sits there hammering his balls into the floorboards

Isn't it going to be years till the next election? Makes sense to get the purges out of the way now so they fade by the time you get cunts urging you to vote tory lite for 'harm reduction' again.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this has to be a parody account surely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1321946637921591302?s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

mila kunis posted:

Isn't it going to be years till the next election? Makes sense to get the purges out of the way now so they fade by the time you get cunts urging you to vote tory lite for 'harm reduction' again.

*puts on smart guy political predictor hat* boris is going to get fed up everyone hating him and being expected to do work so will resign citing health issues in 6 months. The new guy or girl will call the 1000th election since 2016 because you might as well with an 80 seat majority and a 'not boris' manifesto and will win comfortably in the face of Keir holding them to account by agreeing with all of their policies

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1322126032028291072?s=20

IF LABOUR HAD ANY OTHER LEADER MURDERING JEREMY CORBYN WE'D BE A MILLION POINTS AHEAD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Get off the cross, they need the wood. I voted for Nick Clegg in 2010 and that probably had more to do with my reaction than anything else.
Had Clegg not been a spineless oval office (or enthusiastically agreeing) all the time it was probably the best option with what information was known at the time. The Orange Book was poo poo, but it was between voting for a Great Repeal Bill for the worst of Blair and Brown's poo poo or voting for the people enthusiastically showing that they'll ban whatever the Sun's mad about this week and turning to the audience for approval. A Lib/Lab coalition with them constantly tripping each other over was about the best thing to hope for.

Instead we got austerity and Home Secretary Theresa May trying to ban tea.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1322126032028291072?s=20

IF LABOUR HAD ANY OTHER LEADER MURDERING JEREMY CORBYN WE'D BE A MILLION POINTS AHEAD

I honestly wish we also had a "do you think the government is doing a good job" just for my own satisfaction in cognitive dissonance.

"Nope, I think the current government is doing terribly with everything, but I'll still vote them in again! Because I am a fish incapable of remembering more then the last five minutes."*

*Is a myth, apologies to all fish people (excluding Gove)*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

*puts on smart guy political predictor hat* boris is going to get fed up everyone hating him and being expected to do work so will resign citing health issues in 6 months. The new guy or girl will call the 1000th election since 2016 because you might as well with an 80 seat majority and a 'not boris' manifesto and will win comfortably in the face of Keir holding them to account by agreeing with all of their policies

There's literally no incentive for any post-Boris Tory PM to call an early election. The chances of them increasing their majority are slim to none and the only reasons a leader would want to roll those dice are :decorum:-related about renewing their mandate or getting stuff in the manifesto they'd want to ram through the Lords but we're definitely in a post-mattering world so there's no way at all PM Patel would care about any of that when she rams though the Law For The Preservation Of British Blood And British Honour, on which Labour will abstain because some people will have some protection against torture and we have to be grownups.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Tyranny is 75% off right now. I've been playing through it after meaning to ever since it came out & y'know, I really enjoy it. It's an Obsidian RPG & you're one of the baddies & it's fun being a bastard sometimes. Hardspace Shipbreaker sounds fun & is 25% off but I don't buy Early Access games so can't confirm. Darkest Dungeon is under a fiver.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/rachshabi/status/1322103780159225856
This thread basically sums up my feelings, particularly this:
https://twitter.com/rachshabi/status/1322106190877392901
The fact that it's happening right as Labour might finally be opening a poll lead on the Tories is doubly aggravating.