Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^That

Osprey packs just hit a nice blend of feature rich, durability, warranty, and price. I like my z packs and other Cuben fiber packs more for backpacking, but you pay a premium, and my osprey volt is a solid winter backpack when I need the extra space. I really like my Osprey Talon Daypack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My Osprey has all the right features, but I find my Deuter backpack more comfortable at the same load out. They're similar sizes (30/32L).

I use them for travel and work, not for backpacking, but there's my two cents.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rob Rockley posted:

What's the latest word in women's daypacks? I got my wife a super cheap little pack off Amazon but it's not great and the chest strap sits rather uncomfortably with any load. We've been interested in picking up a better pack to hold a few liters of water and some food and maybe a jacket for our day hikes, but with Covid we haven't exactly been window shopping a lot. Any specific recommendations to look into brand or model wise?

e: thanks for the replies, Osprey will likely be where we look right away - I was kind of hoping there was a cheaper REI type bag that's a good value, but for a daypack it won't even be that expensive to go for the nice brand.

e: okay still pretty expensive, but next time there's a sale...

I'm a guy, but I have this and really like it:

https://www.decathlon.com/collectio...roduct-features

Same capacity as the Tempest and pretty much all the same bells and whistles as it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For those who camp with canine companions, what do you bring for them to sleep in/on/under in cooler weather? I was thinking of doing my first primitive camping experience in 2 weeks time. I'm in western New York, so early November is typically 30-50ºF. One is a hound, the other is a pit - so they are both pretty short-coated.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

We have a border collie / german shepherd mix, 60 lbs, he sleeps on a thermarest z-lite folded in half. Above ~35 he's fine without anything besides some sleeping bag cuddles. We did an overnight that probably got to 28ish a couple weeks ago and brought a little primaloft blanket for him and he was happy with that. Presumably he'd be fine on just a half pad but I haven't worked up the nerve to cut it up yet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sab669 posted:

For those who camp with canine companions, what do you bring for them to sleep in/on/under in cooler weather? I was thinking of doing my first primitive camping experience in 2 weeks time. I'm in western New York, so early November is typically 30-50ºF. One is a hound, the other is a pit - so they are both pretty short-coated.

I've seen some people just use an oval rug, a memory foam dog bed or a thermarest foam pad. Anything for comfort and insulation from the ground. I actually went to a used gear store and found a kids sleeping bag, a north face synthetic 15º for $20. If you really want, you can always go and have it cut down and stitched smaller to fit your dog, I have a 5 year old Vizsla and he can still stretch out in it, but he tends to stay balled up.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm going car camping in the woods and I'm planning to be comfy as hell, so I'm gonna buy a queen size air mattress and a tent. This is tomorrow so I'm pretty much limited to stopping at one of the Bass Pro Shops on the way and see what they have. Any pitfalls to avoid? Planning to spend up to ~100 on the tent. I've been camping before so I know roughly what's up but I've never owned a tent before. I own this tarp, it will work as long as the footprint of the tent is smaller than the tarp, correct? (I know that the tarp shouldn't extend beyond the tent, I'll fold it over to fit).

e: Actually looks like something like this would fit my needs perfectly?

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 30, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

feelix posted:

I'm going car camping in the woods and I'm planning to be comfy as hell, so I'm gonna buy a queen size air mattress and a tent. This is tomorrow so I'm pretty much limited to stopping at one of the Bass Pro Shops on the way and see what they have. Any pitfalls to avoid? Planning to spend up to ~100 on the tent. I've been camping before so I know roughly what's up but I've never owned a tent before. I own this tarp, it will work as long as the footprint of the tent is smaller than the tarp, correct? (I know that the tarp shouldn't extend beyond the tent, I'll fold it over to fit).

If you grab a walmart tent, grab a can of scotch guard while you're there. The seams like to leak IME, having used an Ozark Trail for backpacking and canoeing for several years.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

feelix posted:

Be careful. Depending on where you're at, a lot of outdoors stores have been selling out of things due to coronavirus like tents, sleeping bags, stove fuel etc. People have been getting out more often so a lot of stores might have limited stock. You wouldn't want to be on your way and strike out and not have a tent.

The tents at Walmart will be fine for fair weather camping but might struggle with any wind or rain, sand optionally won't last very long. The seams and fabric might not be the most water repellant either. Zippers might be poo poo. Bass pro have some good tents and some bad, but their tents are surprisingly inexpensive. I would avoid the absolute cheapest tent you can find and maybe look a few levels up if possible and within your budget.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

feelix posted:

For occasional car camping something like you linked ought to be OK. If you have time I'd seam seal all the outside edges, but especially the seams on the top under the little rain fly and the bottom of the tent. Make sure you do a good job pitching it, guy it out for additional stability as these dont have a ton of room for error in storms.

Keep in mind that an uninsulated air mattress, while better than just being on the ground, wont do a whole lot to keep you warm. If you can try and pick up some foam insulated sleeping pads that you can at least lay flat under your air mattress.

Have a good trip!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Thanks everyone! This is in Florida so I'm not too worried about being cold. It's supposed to get into the 50s but that's perfect imo, sleeping in a tent isn't comfy unless it's cold enough to wear a winter hat

feelix fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 30, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

50's is still cold af on an uninsulated pad. you are going to wake up at 3am and feel like all your energy is being sapped out of the parts of your body in contact with the mattress

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd consider putting a comforter between the mattress and you.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I own a sleeping bag pad but I didn't bring it and I'm not buying another one so I'll just have to find out the hard way

E: I guess I'll buy a comforter, they're cheap and I don't actually own one so it's no biggie. I was very comfortable sleeping at night in Wisconsin in fall with a similar setup and it couldn't have been much warmer

feelix fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 30, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I just got through a 5-day long power outage from an ice storm! I've been through 2-week ones, and been hiking/camping for 4 days, and have a hefty tornado season shelf-stable food stash, so mostly this was just an unexpected chance to double-check all the lanterns, see if I still like those thermals, etc. The only problem I ran into:

CAFFEINE

It was a pain needing to get the fireplace going every morning before I could have coffee. I only needed to do it for a few days before the roads were de-treed enough for me to get in to work to make my morning coffee (we have a generator there). Even so, I thought, this is surely an annoyance I can solve!

Would it be more reasonable to get a JetBoil-sort of mini canister system to make coffee in the morning during power outages (and take out camping maybe twice a year), or just get some caffeine tablets & a pill splitter so my headache goes away?

I know which one will be cheaper, but one sounds more fun.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean, if you're looking at disaster proofing your house I would much rather suggest that you get a generator and an induction cooktop and something like a moka pot or just some instant coffee. A generator and a electric cooktop of some sort (induction being the more efficient option) gives you a lot of flexibility to use non-shelf stable foodstuffs or to power your fridge and be able to keep your non-stable food stuffs good longer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah we got a chest freezer this year and almost losing that food was pretty scary.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Most of my JetBoil use is to heat water for the French press.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Alcohol stove is good. Easy to get denatured anywhere.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

effika posted:

I just got through a 5-day long power outage from an ice storm! I've been through 2-week ones, and been hiking/camping for 4 days, and have a hefty tornado season shelf-stable food stash, so mostly this was just an unexpected chance to double-check all the lanterns, see if I still like those thermals, etc. The only problem I ran into:

CAFFEINE

It was a pain needing to get the fireplace going every morning before I could have coffee. I only needed to do it for a few days before the roads were de-treed enough for me to get in to work to make my morning coffee (we have a generator there). Even so, I thought, this is surely an annoyance I can solve!

Would it be more reasonable to get a JetBoil-sort of mini canister system to make coffee in the morning during power outages (and take out camping maybe twice a year), or just get some caffeine tablets & a pill splitter so my headache goes away?

I know which one will be cheaper, but one sounds more fun.

For home emergency use, I would personally advise getting either a double-burner propane camp stove or a single-burner butane stove with a propane adapter.
Both of those are reasonably safe to run indoors (assuming you have even moderate ventilation) and they're more stable with large pots than a JetBoil or anything similar.
Alcohol stoves are nice, but they're prone to producing carbon monoxide and really shouldn't be used indoors.
While an electric cook stove could be a good adjunct to a generator, it's nice to be able to cook without having to fire up the generator, especially if it's for morning coffee and you don't want to wake up other people.
Propane and butane also store indefinitely (assuming the canisters don't rust) where as fuel for a generator has a finite life span even with additives.

As far as actually making the coffee, a propane or butane stove would work well with a french press, moka pot, pour-over, or instant coffee.
Coleman actually makes a drip coffee maker which takes 1lb propane cylinders, but it's a uni-tasker and I think they're over $100.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

poeticoddity posted:

Propane and butane also store indefinitely (assuming the canisters don't rust) where as fuel for a generator has a finite life span even with additives.

For this reason actually I would recommend getting the dual fuel generators. They will work with both gasoline and propane allowing you to have a fuel source on hand indefinitely that you can use for both electricity generation and for grilling or a stove.

They tend to be more powerful when you use gasoline with them so it would probably still be beneficial to keep a tank of gasoline around but if it does go bad you will still have another backup fuel supply that has a variety of uses.

In my opinion the key to a successful emergency plan is to get survival tools that are multi-purpose and which have at least one or two backups in case they fail. If you have a survival water filter, a dual fuel generator, a propane stove, a propane supply, and small gas canister then you have the tools to purify water at least three ways, two fuel sources for cooking, two fuel sources to power your electricity, and one backup power generation device (which can power your electric cooktop and your fridge/freezer), and a small backup gasoline supply in case you need to move your car some distance.

Those handful of tools and supplies provide you a lot of utility

Edit: to avoid taking this thread off on too big of a tangent I'll also plug the emergency preparedness thread which is better suited for this talk.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941131&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

poeticoddity posted:

For home emergency use, I would personally advise getting either a double-burner propane camp stove or a single-burner butane stove with a propane adapter.

^^This. They’re just so great to cool off too, my buddy uses them as a full kitchen setup at his cabin. Propane is shelf stable and cheap AF.

Hey cool, new bookmark! Thanks

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Stop telling me to be responsible; I just want to buy fun stuff!

I guess I'd better read up on generators. Thanks for all the perspectives on "I want to more easily heat water," thread! probably still getting a little cannister campstove with the excuse of "but camping AND power outages!" in addition to a generator

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

effika posted:

Stop telling me to be responsible; I just want to buy fun stuff!

I guess I'd better read up on generators. Thanks for all the perspectives on "I want to more easily heat water," thread! probably still getting a little cannister campstove with the excuse of "but camping AND power outages!" in addition to a generator

Something worth considering if you're going to use a backpacking stove with a Lindal valve for emergency use at home or in a vehicle is that there are a lot of adapter options out there.

You can get Lindal to Lindal that let you refill small canisters from large canisters.
You can Lindal to whatever the 8oz butane cartridges use. Those cartridges are too unstable for the stove style that sits on top of the canister, but they'll attach nicely to the ones with an extension tube that sits out to the side.
You can get 1lb propane to Lindal and, if you have one of the bottle leg attachment things, you can use the top mounted style...as long as your 1lb propane bottle's valve is level.
You can gang up the Lindal to Lindal and Lindal to propane or butane to put propane or butane into a canister...though I'd be hesitant to do that without a scale and a lot of math...and PPE.

The adapters aren't cheap (because they're low-tolerance machined fittings that have to be gas tight) but they might be worth considering for anyone who regularly travels to areas with different kinds of fuel availability.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations on Winter hiking boots? Specifically lightweight, waterproof winter style boots? I already have Mukluks for deep winter dry use, and Bunny Boots for deep winter wet use or just sitting around.

What I'd like are boots that are good down to about 10F or so that I dont have to worry about getting wetted out in slush/mud when its just below freezing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on Winter hiking boots? Specifically lightweight, waterproof winter style boots? I already have Mukluks for deep winter dry use, and Bunny Boots for deep winter wet use or just sitting around.

What I'd like are boots that are good down to about 10F or so that I dont have to worry about getting wetted out in slush/mud when its just below freezing.

I use my Salomon 4d GTX for snowshoeing and general winter stuff. Usually paired with gaiters. Beyond that I use Baffin Selkirk's for when it's really cold. The quality on the Baffins is really amazing and blows away anything else I found. I used to have Lacrosse Ice Kings but they aren't even in the same league as the Baffins.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
When I have space I bring my stainless french press camping. It's an absolute godsend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I ended up getting some Vasque Snowburban II boots cheap at $75. I took out the laces and re did the lacing pattern and now they seem like they'll be great. Only walked a few miles in them so far though so hard to say. Very stiff but should do the trick.

For people looking for super warm boots in dry conditions, check out Steger Mukluks. I love my pair so much, I wear them any chance I get. Took them out on several long snowshoe trips last winter, getting down to -20F and they kept my feet incredibly warm while not being bulky. You just cant wear them when it gets slushy out.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I have a question about tent "repair" or seam sealing, re-sealing, I don't know exactly.

I have an old (10 years or so) REI Quarter Dome T2 I really like, but when I took it out to stand it up and clean it up I noticed the seams on the rainfly and inside the tub of the tent are flaking and some kind of substance is rubbing off. I am guessing this is the original seam sealant tape?

I'd like to try to fix it and keep using the tent if possible, because it doesn't have any damage or wear besides this to speak of. I've done some googling, and it looks like I can buy some stuff, clean the current seams with rubbing alcohol, then brush this goop on the seam and let it cure for 8-24 hours, and I'll be good to go. Is this the correct course of action to resolve this issue? The stuff I saw was gear-aid brand, does anyone have any experience with this product or similar ones? Thanks!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
You can dilute silicone window sealant with water I think and do it for cheap as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Garmin inReach Mini is on sale for $250 at REI and various retailers, down from $350.
Costco has a bundle for $250 with a backpack lanyard and 1mo of service as well

https://www.costco.com/garmin-inreach-mini-bundle.product.100686688.html

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Korwen posted:

I have a question about tent "repair" or seam sealing, re-sealing, I don't know exactly.

I have an old (10 years or so) REI Quarter Dome T2 I really like, but when I took it out to stand it up and clean it up I noticed the seams on the rainfly and inside the tub of the tent are flaking and some kind of substance is rubbing off. I am guessing this is the original seam sealant tape?

I had that same tent! Fixed it up and gave it away to a friend that works with a group getting minorities into camping and hiking. Loved that tent.

I did basically what you described. I cleaned the seams first with some rubbing alcohol, let things dry, then used seam sealer and went over the seams again. I used it once post fix and didnt notice any ill effects, but it was a dry day so hard to say for sure.

Based on my experience I think if you didnt care about how it looked to much you could probably just seam seal right over everything and it'd be fine but hard for me to say conclusively.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm looking for a sleeping bag to use to sleep in my car in close to zero degree temperatures. Weight and bulk isn't an issue since I'll never be hiking with it.

What do you guys recommend?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking for a sleeping bag to use to sleep in my car in close to zero degree temperatures. Weight and bulk isn't an issue since I'll never be hiking with it.

If weight isnt a concern and you just want a warm, cheap, durable bag look at a Wiggys bag. They pop up on eBay all of the time for pretty cheap.

The owner of Wiggys is a nutcase, their "superiority" is WAY overblown by bushcrafters and mil-surplus fans, but a car bag is the perfect use case for a Wiggy bag. I owned a 20F that was incredibly warm down to its temperature. I ended up giving it away since it was to big for backpacking but it wouldve been a great car bag.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Well, I spent most of the weekend sorting out the tent, and we'll see this upcoming weekend if it was all for naught, or not. I ended up using the super tacky seam sealer for parts where I had to kind of re-glue some of the bits on the inside of the fly, and the tub of the tent, then the faster curing stuff for the rest of the seams. I then used some of the coating stuff on the bottom side of the rainfly and the nikwax rain and UV stuff on the top of the fly. Hopefully I can get another 2 seasons or so out of it?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

You can get a bulky synthetic fil 0F bag for ~70 bucks, like the cheaper ones from Kelty

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

kinda wish sleeping pad manufacturers offered a size between 'regular' and 'large'. i'm 5'11 and my toes often hang off of regular pads but large pads don't fit in the the "2 person" tent with my partner :negative:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I'm 5'11" and find that I'm right at the medium/large cutoff for so many things.

For the sleeping pad issue you might try resting your feet on your pack?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

kinda wish sleeping pad manufacturers offered a size between 'regular' and 'large'. i'm 5'11 and my toes often hang off of regular pads but large pads don't fit in the the "2 person" tent with my partner :negative:
Are you talking about width?
IDK about others, but REI Flash has separate long vs wide versions iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Partial Octopus posted:

I have a nice Kelty 0° bag that is my first choice for sleeping in my van in a ski resort parking lot. I also picked up one of these a couple of years ago in case anybody joined me --> https://www.nextadventure.net/wilderness-technology-light-0-xl-sleeping-bag.html