Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think I posted it in another thread recently but this 'tandoori' chicken recipe is great. The only thing I do differently from the recipe is to sautee onions before I add everything in, and to thicken the curry up after I take the lid off, using whatever you normally would use (I just take some of the sauce out, add flour, return it, repeat as necessary). I make rice on the side with this and it's a great meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sad news, friends. Cecilia Chiang, owner of San Francisco institution The Mandarin and one of the first links to Chinese traditional cooking in the US, has died at the age of 100.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/28/dining/cecilia-chiang-dead.html

I just watched Soul of a Banquet a couple of weeks ago. She seemed like a super neat lady and I would've loved to interview her for a few thousand hours. I hope someone did.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
She changed the way Americans eat and understand Chinese culture, and also lived to 100. I would t call that sad, personally, but mourn and celebrate your own way (mine will be dumplings).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good idea: using preheating oven to melt butter required for recipe.
Bad idea: forgetting about it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I remember hearing about a cooking show host that would get drunk while filming, and saw some YouTube videos of her. Not Hannah Hart. Does anyone know who I am trying to think of? 90s or early 2000s I think.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Julia Child

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Machai posted:

I remember hearing about a cooking show host that would get drunk while filming, and saw some YouTube videos of her. Not Hannah Hart. Does anyone know who I am trying to think of? 90s or early 2000s I think.

Was it Sandra Lee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdiBG_TYZHA

She's also of Kwanzaa Cake fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

(Also apparently Andrew Cuomo was her domestic partner lol)

Edit: I don't know whether or not she got drunk while filming, but she would have a lot of cocktails on her show.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Julia Child

lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Julia Child was such a gangster

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Machai posted:

One of the Two Fat Ladies is definitely usually at least slightly sauced.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Julia Child

No she was just French, they're all like that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

She was from Pasadena.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

She was from Pasadena.

You can't prove that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There's probably several Achewood references one could stick in as a response to this post

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Eeyo posted:

Was it Sandra Lee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdiBG_TYZHA

She's also of Kwanzaa Cake fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQbWeNQpiA

(Also apparently Andrew Cuomo was her domestic partner lol)

Edit: I don't know whether or not she got drunk while filming, but she would have a lot of cocktails on her show.

Yes, thats her. Thanks!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Weird recipe recommend: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

My brother made this yesterday, and I was very sceptical because it sounded both bland and awful, but it's actually really tasty in a comfort food kind of way, and extremely easy and cheap.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pookah posted:

My brother made this yesterday, and I was very sceptical because it sounded both bland and awful, but it's actually really tasty in a comfort food kind of way, and extremely easy and cheap.

yeah i'd gently caress that up

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Nigella’s recipes are usually good. My son is coeliac so we make her GF chocolate cake and lemon polenta cake. If he was miraculously cured tomorrow I’d still make them. They are extremely good. And pretty easy too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Is it just me or have groceries gotten really loving expensive (even excluding meat)? Potatoes are a bit over a buck per which while I've never actually paid much attention to potato prices seems high. I know covid's hosed the supply lines, but gotdamn, this is a horrible time to have to trim back your grocery budget especially if you were already fairly frugal anyways. I'm doing the right stuff, we're about 70% vegetarian meals, lots of eggs, legumes, in season produce. Meats maybe a pack of chicken thighs/a chicken and possibly some sort of roast if they're on sale. And still somehow I'm spending more on groceries than I did 6 months ago

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is it just me or have groceries gotten really loving expensive (even excluding meat)? Potatoes are a bit over a buck per which while I've never actually paid much attention to potato prices seems high. I know covid's hosed the supply lines, but gotdamn, this is a horrible time to have to trim back your grocery budget especially if you were already fairly frugal anyways. I'm doing the right stuff, we're about 70% vegetarian meals, lots of eggs, legumes, in season produce. Meats maybe a pack of chicken thighs/a chicken and possibly some sort of roast if they're on sale. And still somehow I'm spending more on groceries than I did 6 months ago
It's not just you.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Things that have manual labor as part of harvesting have had smaller workforces. Spacing for safety reasons in meat processing have slowed output. Logistics of importing food have gotten more complex.

Housing for migrant labor is often barracks, transportation to fields is old busses. NPR had a thing where some of the growers were having legal contract workers on a virtual prison scheme. Not allowed to go buy groceries, or go anywhere but their barracks during off time, no access to laundry, so they were getting skin problems from dirty, sweat soaked skivvies.

poo poo's hosed. :(

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Bought store brand Ranch dressing and Cream Cheese. (Giant Eagle). It's terrible, watery, cheap. Tastes bad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We still have an unopened liter of ranch from Costco that we got from the in-laws after we got our new apartment. Same with a liter of BBQ sauce, but at least we've used some of that. They're both honestly just starting points to spice up.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

We still have an unopened liter of ranch from Costco that we got from the in-laws after we got our new apartment. Same with a liter of BBQ sauce, but at least we've used some of that. They're both honestly just starting points to spice up.

Got a new place? Your gonna need condiments.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Transportation costs for shipping food from the packinghouse to the grocery warehouses are between 2.5 and 3x what it was last fall. Most of your grocery store produce is coming from the border areas of California and Texas and the brokerage I work for is paying $8,000-$9,000 per truck to get from SoCal to the Pittsburgh area where last year it was $2,500- $2,800.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How important is the initial temperature of some food for the cooking time it might take in an oven? I'm cooking some chicken in the oven at ~450f (I figured out what's going on with my oven) following this recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OSMbfhIao and 45 minutes in, it's still nowhere near as browned and fully cooked as it is in the video. Is that because I'm cooking it from defrosted? Was it too cold?

Any other reason why it might be taking so long?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is your oven acturate?

/e - the initial temp is not very important. To bring things up to room pre whatever method of cook by leaving it out you'd quickly break safely standards with very little gain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have an oven thermometer and it reads 450f, so I assume that's accurate. If it helps, the heating element is on the bottom instead of the top (gas oven).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aaaaand I just burned my pinky on a hot pan handle. Had to happen sometime :gonk:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

How important is the initial temperature of some food for the cooking time it might take in an oven? I'm cooking some chicken in the oven at ~450f (I figured out what's going on with my oven) following this recipe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OSMbfhIao and 45 minutes in, it's still nowhere near as browned and fully cooked as it is in the video. Is that because I'm cooking it from defrosted? Was it too cold?

Any other reason why it might be taking so long?

Pollyanna posted:

I have an oven thermometer and it reads 450f, so I assume that's accurate. If it helps, the heating element is on the bottom instead of the top (gas oven).

Starting temp affects how quickly something cooks internally a little bit, but outside almost not at all. You might need an extra few minutes to cook through if your chicken was 33f, but the browning won't be noticeably slower.

Chef John is cooking in a gas oven as well. I'd guess that he got the better browning on the chicken by using convection, just not calling it out because he doesn't want to discourage people without convection setting. He also may have done a quick broil, or something else that would make it look nicer, but be fussier than he thinks his audience wants to do.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If the skin started out wet from defrosting and you didn’t thoroughly dry it or you didn’t really brown the skin of the chicken before you start, the residual water can keep the skin from browning. Or if the very middle was still icy you’ll end up having to add time for that.
Or your oven doesn’t cycle on until the temperature drops by a larger amount than theirs. My lovely apartment oven can be set for 375 and swing between 340 and 425 at what seems to be completely random intervals. I always end up having to chuck stuff under the broiler to get a good top browning on most roasted things, I think the top of the oven must not be heat shielded very well.

I’m sure your dinner is fine, just keep checking the doneness of the chicken every once in a while and then broil it if you want crisp skin.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I like to let my chicken sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered with a nice dry brine to help dry the skin, promote browning and get some nice flavors deep into the meat. As well as starting in a 450 deg oven for 15-20 mins before dropping the temp.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

This is all fiddly poo poo though. Was your chicken just not browned enough, or was it actually not fully cooked? Do you have a meat thermometer? I agree your oven sounds fucky.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I couldn't get the lid off my Healthy Boy Fishsauce, yanked it and the fish sauce spilled all over my kitchen. It really stinks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cheese Thief posted:

I couldn't get the lid off my Healthy Boy Fishsauce, yanked it and the fish sauce spilled all over my kitchen. It really stinks.

Someone I know on Fb just posted about spilling fish sauce on their brand new trainers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

A tin of oyster sauce in the bottom of my pantry apparently burst a seam. The liquid sorta capillary'd around the perimeter of the can, then did the same along a couple of other cans near it, until it came into contact with the cardboard cartons I was using to store my empty mason jars. And then it just sorta spread across the bottom of every cardboard box in the bottom of the pantry. So although it had spilled a lot of fluid, you couldn't tell by looking at it without pulling everything out. Which I had no reason to do until prompted to by the smell....

Count your blessings, is what I'm trying to say.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oyster sauce comes in tins?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Five pound tins, yes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Here's a stock image of one not leaking all over the bottom of my pantry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That’s a lot of oyster sauce.
How do you store it once it’s opened out of interest?