Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hwurmp posted:

if you have to chainsaw more than two or three imps/zombies in a typical fight then you are using too much ammo

Or too little ammo. If you constantly run out of one ammo type, use the other guns more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Would I like Project Zomboid if I love the State of Decay games? From what I hear it's mostly complete now despite still being in EA.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hard to say. In terms of gameplay, they've got pretty little in common. The State of Decay games are much more action-heavy than PZ, as you can probably expect from a third-person brawler-shooter as compared to an isometric survival sim, so it's hard to really compare them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Hard to say. In terms of gameplay, they've got pretty little in common. The State of Decay games are much more action-heavy than PZ, as you can probably expect from a third-person brawler-shooter as compared to an isometric survival sim, so it's hard to really compare them.

I dunno if I’d go so far as to call State of Decay a brawler-shooter. Generally you have to avoid protracted combat and pick your fights, it’s not like Dead Rising where it’s “gently caress YEAH GIMME ZOMBIES!”

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alan Wake

pentyne posted:

It was episodic before episodic became a thing, went really big into trying to build out the lore and backstory from collectibles and things, and while playing you will absolutely get the feeling like "this seems like a last minute change" at certain points.

It wasn't episodic, in the video game sense of the word. They released it all at once. It's just modeled after a television show, so it's split into episodes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dunno if I’d go so far as to call State of Decay a brawler-shooter. Generally you have to avoid protracted combat and pick your fights, it’s not like Dead Rising where it’s “gently caress YEAH GIMME ZOMBIES!”
Yeah, fair. Combat isn't the central focus of State of Decay the way it is for Dead Rising, even if they have a lot in common. It's just how I'd describe the action elements of the game overall, while Project Zomboid is basically just an entirely different type of game altogether.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, fair. Combat isn't the central focus of State of Decay the way it is for Dead Rising, even if they have a lot in common. It's just how I'd describe the action elements of the game overall, while Project Zomboid is basically just an entirely different type of game altogether.

I guess the way I would put it is both games will put you in the same kind of mindset, even if the way you actually interact with the game world is pretty different.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fallom posted:

drat, Intergalactic Fishing must get spookier than I thought

Compare Intergalactic Fishing and A Rose in the Twilight. They're both on sale this weekend, but only the second one is listed as part of the Halloween sale. There's no organized sale outside of the Halloween-themed games (whatever that means), but within that group there's a lot on sale at pretty good discounts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I guess the way I would put it is both games will put you in the same kind of mindset, even if the way you actually interact with the game world is pretty different.
Hmm, yeah. If I had to compare Project Zomboid to any other zombie game I've played in terms of gameplay, I'd say the one it has the most in common with is probably Cataclysm DDA. They're both very detail-oriented and the world is highly interactive in a way the game world of State of Decay often isn't.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I may just pull the trigger on Zomboid then. A more interactive world is one of the things I wanted out of the State of Decay games, and the Cataclysm DDA comparison intrigues me. Plus $10 isn't exactly breaking the bank. Thanks guys!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phetz posted:

I may just pull the trigger on Zomboid then. A more interactive world is one of the things I wanted out of the State of Decay games, and the Cataclysm DDA comparison intrigues me. Plus $10 isn't exactly breaking the bank. Thanks guys!

Make sure to opt into the beta update as that adds a LOT of cool stuff to the game!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was thinking about doing another Zomboid run, I enjoyed it in spite of the occasional jankiness and the fact that I almost never survived for a decent amount of time. They really do get the feeling of being completely surrounded by a horde of zombies with no escape like no other game does.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Make sure to opt into the beta update as that adds a LOT of cool stuff to the game!
Which one of them is the most current beta? There are like eight to choose from.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I found that brief pause during a Glory Kill to be a much needed moment to breath what with how hectic some of the fights felt

Same honestly. In the bigger arenas the glory kills are a good way to pause for a beat and assess your next step.

I really liked the resource economy in Doom Eternal, personally. Ammo was fairly limited, but it was balanced with the expectation that you'd be cycling through all your various tools throughout the fight to stock up on resources as they started to dip. If you're low on ammo, switch to another gun, your chainsaw will be recharged to one pip before you can run out of everything and you can just rip up a zombie to refill.

The game really leans into the hyperviolence aesthetic by making enemies into resource packs. All the imps and shambling zombies aren't there to threaten you, they're there to recharge you--if you're low on health, glory kill them, if you're low on armor, blast them with a flamethrower, if you're low on ammo, chainsaw them. Once you get into the flow of it, there's a real rhythm to the battles that I thought was really satisfying, but you do have to kind of play the game the way it wants you to play it, if you fight against the flow you're gonna struggle a bit.

Except marauders, they're never fun

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

Can someone make a list of the good games on the Halloween Sale please and thank you.

Ok since no one is doing this I'll make a list of what I see on the sale that I consider a great (or pretty good) game and that is at least 40% off. Hopefully other people can add their own. (note: some of these sales might be region-specific to Canada)

Resident Evil - 75% off HD remaster of the 2002 remake of the original, this is the best classical Survival Horror game ever made by far. The last of the greats before the genre completely shifted.
Resident Evil Zero - 75% off Big step down from the remake, especially the silly story, but since it's in the same engine and still has some cool monsters and neat setpieces, definitely worth getting at such a heavy discount.
Resident Evil 2 - 60% off This modern remake of the PSX classic is quite the mechanical departure from the original but has great innovative features and gorgeous spooky graphics. You've heard of this one, come on.
Resident Evil 4 - 75% off The game that was so good it ruined survival horror by changing it irrevocably into a genre desperately trying to copy its formula and failing.
Dead Rising - 70% off The most important zombie game of the 2000s, Dead Rising is equal parts survivor management, tense zombie survival, Pokemon Snap, and ridiculous zombie decimation. Definitely more difficult and serious than its sequels.
Dead Rising 2 - 70% off Easier, goofier, and splatterier than its predecessor, this is probably the most accessible entry in the franchise.
Dead Rising2: Off the Record - 70% off A What-If retelling of the game starring the protagonist of the first one, brings back the photography mini game and cranks up the goofy to maximum levels.
Death Road to Canada - 60% off A cartoony zombie apocalypse road trip roguelike inspired by Oregon trail, this hilarious game is constantly getting new modes, weapons, characters, and abilities added.
Dying Light - 60% off A first person game that combines parkour with the zombie apocalypse, this game's movement and combat mechanics are some of the best out there, and the score is amazing.
Organ Trail: Director's Cut - 60% off This is Death Road to Canada's spiritual predecessor. It's quite literally oregon trail with zombies, complete with super minimal graphics and simple gameplay. Not nearly as fun as some of the others on here, it's still a fine cheap time waster. Also pretty funny!
Zombie Driver HD - -80% off A top down driving/car combat game set in a zombie apocalypse. This game would've been considered a GOAT if it came out in the late 90s (which isn't to say its graphics are that dated).
Zombie Night Terror - 90% off Lemmings, but with zombies. A surprisingly gross game for its minimal graphics, filled with endlessly creative challenges. Also features tons of user generated levels!
The Walking Dead Season 1 - 50% off This is the game that catapulted Telltale into the Cinematic Decision Making genre. Better than any of its sequels, this game totally holds up.
Alan Wake -75% off An atmospheric horror game inspired by Stephen King's writing and Twin Peaks, this interesting character-driven experience only mildly suffers from the fact that it's not scary at all and that the main combat mechanic is lame.
Lakeview Cabin Collection -90% off This gory collection of physics based puzzle adventure games is the most hilarious, creepy and fun homage to b-movie horror you'll ever see. An absolute steal at this price.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - 90% off A creepy stealthy game where you explore a spooky dark castle and avoid horrors. Somewhat hampered by its bad sequel, myriad clones and being incredibly over-exposed via streams and let's plays.
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 50% off This 8-bit style tie-in to Bloodstained is a love letter to the NES Castlevania series and 8-bit action platformers in general. Tough but fair, with a charming visual aesthetic and kick rear end chiptunes, it's a nostalgic trip.
Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla EX) - 40% off A loving Arcade-style tribute to the Ghosts and Goblins series, inspired by Spanish Mthology. This is a game from genius indie dev Locomalito, and it rules.
Darkest Dungeon® - 75% off A combination of a dungeon-delving RPG with a town management sim, this Lovecraftian adventure has amazing gory atmosphere, wonderfully creepy narration by Wayne June, and an engaging attrition-based gameplay loop.
Costume Quest - 75% off An adorable kid-friendly RPG set on halloween, where collecting candy and wearing costumes are your primary concerns as you battle not very spooky goblins and monsters. Charming and funny, if quite short and simple.
Costume Quest 2 - 75% off More of the same, and a bit of a step down overall, but still an enjoyable time if you enjoyed the first one. Makes a good bundle purchase.
Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition - 50% off A remaster of the greatest CRPG ever made, bar none, this game's clunky battle mechanics are a small price to pay for the incredibly engaging writing and quest design.
Lucius - 85% off An adventure game where you play as a child who happens to be the Antichrist. Cause all sorts of grizzly and horrifying "accidents" with your dark powers as you fulfill your true father's wishes. Twisted fun.
Lucius Demake - 50% off 8-bit demake of the game, styled after very very old computer adventure games.
Shadowrun Returns - 75% off A cyberpunk RPG with an X-com style combat interface. This first installment in the revival franchise is a bit rough around the edges but still a good time, especially its killer soundtrack.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - 75% off Bigger and better than its predecessor in every way, this moody sequel is set in an anarchist commune in Berlin and sees you managing a team of misfit Shadowrunners. Truly excellent game.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition - 75% off The final entry (so far), this game is at least the equal of Dragonfall, if not better. Cyberpunk Hong Kong is equal parts beautiful and miserable.
Hitman 2: Gold Edition - 70% off 2018's GOTY, this stealth assassination game really doesn't need any hype from me.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - 70% off Another game that really does not need much hype. It's a gigantic, fully 3D, incredibly well written open world fantasy action RPG.
The Wolf Among Us - 50% off Another Telltale game, this one manages to capture everything awesome about the source material without carrying in any of the gross politics of the author. Noir meets gothic fairy tales, what's not to love? Just be ok with the cliffhanger never getting resolved.
Hollow Knight -50% off An incredibly pretty gothic metroidvania about cute bugs with a dash of Dark Souls influence. Everyone loves this game.
Broforce -75% off Absurd 80s action movie parody indie platformer with gory destruction physics and tons of playable Bros with unique mechanics, all based on iconic action heroes.
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition - 75% off Let's be real you probably already have this one, but in case you don't, while this installment lacks the open world of its sequels, it makes up for it with incredibly tight 3D metroid level design, something that got lost as the series evolved.
The Talos Principle - 90% off Chill, gorgeous exploration puzzle platformer about a robot trying to connect with its defunct creators. It's what you'd call a Mood Piece.
Orcs Must Die! Complete Pack - 75% off A tower defense game with an interface that tricks you into thinking it's a 3rd person action game. A fun way to waste some afternoons. Includes all DLC.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack - 80% off The absolute best turn based tactical game of the past decade, rivaled only by its sequel. Blow up aliens using your wits and learn that 90% odds aren't a sure thing. Includes all DLC.
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered -60% off A 2D stealth platformer with a striking visual style and tons of different ways to reach your objectives. If you enjoy Hitman or Tenchu, this is for you.
SteamWorld Heist - 75% off A turn based tactical squad RPG with interesting physics based combat mechanics (no percentages here) set in a kooky setting of steampunk robots who've never heard of humans. Pretty engaging, if a bit bare bones.
Cave Story+ - 60% off It's the most famous indie platformer of all time, but more. Just buy it.
killer7 - 60% off Bonkers and stylish gamecube rail shooter with exploration elements that finally got ported to the PC last year. Best played while 17 years old and into John Woo films.
Dead Space - 75% off The single best RE4 ripoff ever made, this action horror game set on a derelict space station is a good, slightly terrifying time, especially at a discount. Worth playing just for the crazy weapons if nothing else.
Dead Space 2 - 75% off More Dead Space in less confined locations and with a lamer story. The best alien dismemberment sim ever.
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - 80% off Hey, it's the meme game! While a step down in many ways from 2 (especially if you were invested in the story and characters to an unhealthy degree like me), GTA's wacky cousin's third entry is still a ton of fun, as long as you're not sick to death of dubstep.
Saints Row IV: Game of the Century Edition - 80% off A lot of people were disappointed this game took the setting's wackiness to such an extreme that you're now in space, in the matrix, and a superhero all at the same time, I found its quest design and character writing to be a huge step up from the previous entry. Plus, the superpowers are actually incredibly fun to gently caress around with.
Hand of Fate - 75% off An incredibly engaging board game with cards, dice, coin flips, dialogue choices, randomly generated paths, inventory upgrades, oh and did I mention ARKHAM COMBAT MECHANICS? This unlikely merging of genres is both incredibly creative and addictively fun.
Hand of Fate 2 - 50% off More options, more cards, more enemy types, more dice modifiers, more maps, more choices, more everything. This game is exactly what you want from a sequel.
Bastion - 80% off A colorful isometric brawler with exploration mechanics, beautiful graphics, a surprisingly touching story about how we cope with the end of the world, catchy music, and an iconic narrator. One of my top games of the 2010s.
Double Dragon: Neon -75% off This was one of my other top games of the past decade. A funny, energetic, stylish, irreverent and musically bombastic update on a beat-em-up series that I love. Unfortunately the steam port of this console release is less than perfect, with some timing issues in cutscenes, mild glitches, and jank load times. But, unlike the console version, it has online co-op! So it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.
Dicey Dungeons - 50% off A cute and colorful roguelike where you try to make your way through a board game/dungeon combo and defeat adorable enemies using increasingly complex dice-based mechanics. Can you overcome Lady Luck's loaded dice?
Guacamelee: Gold Edition - 70% off This beautiful beat-em-up/metroid hybrid has you battle your way through a colorful world inspired by mexican folklore using nothing but your brawn and wrestling moves. Build combos by suplexing skeletons! Incredibly fun.
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition -70% off This remaster of the original game features improved graphics, new dungeons and enemies, and a second playable character for co-op action! The only reason it's not the perfect version of the game is that some of the enemies they added are just annoying to fight and break the flawless flow of the original.
Transistor - 80% off From the makers of Bastion comes a melancholy action RPG with advanced geometry-based mechanics and a forlorn noir atmosphere. A real bummer of a masterpiece.
Dragon Age: Origins - 75% off This somewhat dated RPG still has a lot of fun to be had if you find fantasy settings engaging at all. Lots of Bioware staples in this one, for better or for worse.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 75% off Much mechanically improved from its predecessor, this continues the story from part 1 and expands the themes and scope of the adventure. What's that, part 2? No, you must be mistaken.
Night in the Woods - 40% off A fall-themed indie adventure game about finding yourself, life in a small town, economic anxiety, mental illness, cosmic horror, alienation, the ravages of capitalism, and poetry. Completely engaging and beautiful story, marred slightly by some annoying mini games.

Uh... I think I got a bit carried away there. These are all games I already own so despite my deep dive I'm no closer to having any idea which games, horror or non, to purchase this sale.

Honorable Mention to Halloween Forever, which is not on sale but got a free update recently. And rules.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 30, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Which one of them is the most current beta? There are like eight to choose from.

I use the "iwillbackupmysave" beta!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

:words:
Good post. I agree with most of that.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I use the "iwillbackupmysave" beta!
Much obliged.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I second the endorsement of Dicey Dungeons which seems to be sadly not as popular as it deserves to be. Game good.

(With the very notable exception of the harder rounds as Witch. These totally suck. Unlike the rest of the game, these rely very heavily on just getting lucky with dice rolls and can't be beaten with good strategy alone. Witch is not only really awkward and slow to play, but feels unfair. It's a shame :shrug:)

The soundtrack by Chipzel is also great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SirSamVimes posted:

Furi (75% off)
huh, did they change the discount on this? i see 60%

still need to pick it up on pc since i never use my ps4 anymore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alright alright, here is a Horror game rec list:

Cleansuit - 2 dollars for a text adventure with minimal graphics about trying to escape a slasher. Very good and short.
Consuming Shadow - 10$, weird side-scrolling Silent Hill punch/shoot thing with an emphasis on exploring small areas to get clues to piece together which deity is about to invade our reality and destroy everything. I adore this game as it nails the atmosphere very well.
Dead End Road - 1$, a hard arcadey driving game about driving around to get things before demons come for your soul. Great atmosphere.
Door in the Woods - 8$, ASCII roguelike about being alone in a haunted town and there are things that will eat you. Very hard, I suck at it.
DUSK - 12$, Doom-esque FPS where it's you against a cult. It is awesome!
The Forest - 9$, absolutely terrifying survival sim-esque thing where you crash-land in a forest and have to survive cannibals. Great awful caves, dumb but interesting story, and I played this with my boyfriend and found love. If not for him being with me I would've been too scared to beat this game.
Pathologic HD - 2$, the first, the slow. This is a great game but you need to be patient and willing to really think about the story. I have a huge soft spot for this game even if I suck at playing it.
Prey - 15$ - Extremely good immersive sim ala Deus Ex, you spend most of the game exploring a space station and trying to survive against a deadly alien menace.
System Shock 2, 3$, the first game that scared me so bad I couldn't play it at night. Dated now but still worth it.
Vampyr - 11$ - *hisses vampirically*
WORLD OF HORROR - 13$, extremely weird but worth a look
Yume Nikki - a classic, I think this is free? It should be free. You explore a girl's dreams/nightmares.

And then finally a wildcard I haven't played yet but I'm excited to play soon: GRIM, a horror overhaul mod for Fallout 4. You wake up in Fallout land with a curse and it basically turns into Silent Hill, with monsters that might or might not be there and other awful things, and you might go to Hell. It sounds GREAT and I cannot wait to check it out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

WORLD OF HORROR - 13$, extremely weird but worth a look
As a personal note, I would suggest staying within the return period for this one if you're not really sure if it's your kind of thing. World of Horror is basically the board game Arkham Horror by way of Junji Ito-esque art. It has some really cool setpieces and ideas, but its biggest flaw is that it's really not much of anything in terms of being a game. Most of the scenarios (of which five will be picked at random when you start a game) come down to memorization and what doesn't come down to memorization tends to come down to how lucky you were at randomly finding a good weapon. Failing to win the game if you managed to stumble over a katana is nearly impossible, for example.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Because i'm a broke-brained idiot and tis the season for zombies, I turned on Dead Rising 4 after some years, continuing my game... (There's sound but not super important)

https://i.imgur.com/EVPQTCz.mp4

:v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Morter posted:

Because i'm a broke-brained idiot and tis the season for zombies, I turned on Dead Rising 4 after some years, continuing my game... (There's sound but not super important)

https://i.imgur.com/EVPQTCz.mp4

:v:

speaking of crunch, working on that game was allegedly hell

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Aha, finally - MYTH - Steam Edition is the lowest price I've ever seen it. Xander you can finally relax when you check out my wishlist, it is mine at last.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aha, finally - MYTH - Steam Edition is the lowest price I've ever seen it. .

The hugest whiplash is clicking that while not paying attention and expecting MYST, only to get that. :stare:

perc2
May 16, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

As a personal note, I would suggest staying within the return period for this one if you're not really sure if it's your kind of thing. World of Horror is basically the board game Arkham Horror by way of Junji Ito-esque art. It has some really cool setpieces and ideas, but its biggest flaw is that it's really not much of anything in terms of being a game. Most of the scenarios (of which five will be picked at random when you start a game) come down to memorization and what doesn't come down to memorization tends to come down to how lucky you were at randomly finding a good weapon. Failing to win the game if you managed to stumble over a katana is nearly impossible, for example.

I think it's a bit harsh to say this is barely a game; it's been a while since I've played but there are quite a few mechanics and different ways to solve scenarios. There are also enough scenarios that you'll want to do a good number of runs. Definitely the enjoyment factor is about kicking back with a beer and just taking in the atmosphere and aesthetics, but I think what it sets out to achieve, it does well. There are extremely crude haunted house games with absolutely zero personality going for a similar price, you can't knock this game for its vibe, and that vibe is worth 5-10 hours at least.

perc2 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 30, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

perc2 posted:

I think it's a bit harsh to say this is barely a game; it's been a while since I've played but there are quite a few mechanics and different ways to solve scenarios. There are also enough scenarios that you'll want to do a good number of runs. Definitely the enjoyment factor is about kicking back with a beer and just taking in the atmosphere and aesthetics, but I think what it sets out to achieve, it does well. There are extremely crude haunted house games with absolutely zero personality going for a similar price, you can't knock this game for its vibe.
Well, I suppose that's something you can argue about. I think that for the kind of coffee-break permadeath game it presents itself as being, it just kind of lacks in any real depth. The vignettes that are in the game are somewhat varied and interesting enough in their own right, but after spending some time on it, I thought there was a sense of shallowness to it all.

I was expecting something very different from what the game actually delivered on, though, so that might just be me. I just wanted to give a fair warning.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Resident Evil 4 - 75% off The game that was so good it ruined survival horror by changing it irrevocably into a genre desperately trying to copy its formula and failing.
Remade on...5-6 consoles? for a reason, it's absolutely the GOAT of Resident Evil games.

quote:

Dead Rising - 70% off The most important zombie game of the 2000s, Dead Rising is equal parts survivor management, tense zombie survival, Pokemon Snap, and ridiculous zombie decimation. Definitely more difficult and serious than its sequels.
Dead Rising 2 - 70% off Easier, goofier, and splatterier than its predecessor, this is probably the most accessible entry in the franchise.
Dead Rising2: Off the Record - 70% off A What-If retelling of the game starring the protagonist of the first one, brings back the photography mini game and cranks up the goofy to maximum levels.
Very iconic franchise, that does not benefit from the first game being a little too hard for a casual fun zombie killer play-through. Ironically somewhat of a roguelike as you keep your levels and experience each time you die and start over. The DR2 games are a blast of fun, with OTR significantly better then the first one. Sad state of affairs in that every lesson they learned in making DR2 was promptly forgotten as DR3 and DR4 are suck-fests.

quote:

The Walking Dead Season 1 - 50% off This is the game that catapulted Telltale into the Cinematic Decision Making genre. Better than any of its sequels, this game totally holds up.
Very good and very compelling modern version of the classic 90s adventure games style of story telling. It's a great game for anyone who likes that sort of find and solve adventure style gameplay, and you don't need to know anything about The Walking Dead to enjoy it. Almost has actual historical value as basically relaunching the games as storytelling genre and popularizing the staggered release episodic format.

quote:

Alan Wake -75% off An atmospheric horror game inspired by Stephen King's writing and Twin Peaks, this interesting character-driven experience only mildly suffers from the fact that it's not scary at all and that the main combat mechanic is lame.
Has been discussed several times in the last few months. Is worth it for $10 or whatever the complete edition with the DLC is if you want to read a . Combat can be fun at harder difficulties but is usually a bit of a slog through non threatening enemies at best.

quote:

Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition - 50% off A remaster of the greatest CRPG ever made, bar none, this game's clunky battle mechanics are a small price to pay for the incredibly engaging writing and quest design.

Late 90s experimental story based RPG. Something like more words in the script then most entire fantasy book series or something. It's less a fight-y DnD game and more a exploration of the setting and characters. It's actually entirely possible to never fight a single thing in the game aside from a small handful of required boss fights.

quote:

Shadowrun Returns - 75% off A cyberpunk RPG with an X-com style combat interface. This first installment in the revival franchise is a bit rough around the edges but still a good time, especially its killer soundtrack.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - 75% off Bigger and better than its predecessor in every way, this moody sequel is set in an anarchist commune in Berlin and sees you managing a team of misfit Shadowrunners. Truly excellent game.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition - 75% off The final entry (so far), this game is at least the equal of Dragonfall, if not better. Cyberpunk Hong Kong is equal parts beautiful and miserable.

Phenomenal modern crpgs using the shadowrun pnp system and a tactics based combat system. As a trilogy it will constantly come up that you should skip Returns but I say play Returns until you get bored or don't like it anymore so you have a in depth understanding of the game system so Dragonfall makes more sense starting out. Very, very different from the typical D&D system so there's going to be a rough learning curve until you understand what does and doesn't work.

quote:

Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition - 75% off Let's be real you probably already have this one, but in case you don't, while this installment lacks the open world of its sequels, it makes up for it with incredibly tight 3D metroid level design, something that got lost as the series evolved.

Another one that kind of came out of nowhere and completely dominated the genre, easily the best comic based video game ever made and an all time top 10 for the exploration-action genre.

quote:

Dead Space - 75% off The single best RE4 ripoff ever made, this action horror game set on a derelict space station is a good, slightly terrifying time, especially at a discount. Worth playing just for the crazy weapons if nothing else.
Dead Space 2 - 75% off More Dead Space in less confined locations and with a lamer story. The best alien dismemberment sim ever.

Dead Space was "instead of zombies, weird aliens? Also no more headshots, you can shoot off arms and legs". Once of the only games to pull off a genuinely creepy and terrifying atmosphere without depending on constant jump scares.

quote:

Bastion - 80% off A colorful isometric brawler with exploration mechanics, beautiful graphics, a surprisingly touching story about how we cope with the end of the world, catchy music, and an iconic narrator. One of my top games of the 2010s.
Transistor - 80% off From the makers of Bastion comes a melancholy action RPG with advanced geometry-based mechanics and a forlorn noir atmosphere. A real bummer of a masterpiece.

I slept on Transitor for years before finally playing it and getting sucked in to beat the entire thing in a week. Its hauntingly beautiful with an insanely good soundtrack that just does not quit.

quote:

Dragon Age: Origins - 75% off This somewhat dated RPG still has a lot of fun to be had if you find fantasy settings engaging at all. Lots of Bioware staples in this one, for better or for worse.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 75% off Much mechanically improved from its predecessor, this continues the story from part 1 and expands the themes and scope of the adventure. What's that, part 2? No, you must be mistaken.

Dragon Age as a series went from "modern CRPG in the style of the classic isometric 90s games", to "badass console action RPG", to finally "hey everyone loves Witcher 3? Play our game it's almost the same". There's a story that follows through everything and DA:I really tries to make it feel like everything major from the first 2 games actually matters. Even if you didn't DA:I has a online system called The Keep which lets you set up a save file where you can decided what the outcomes were for tons of choices from the previous games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I so desperately want to like Transistor, but the battle system is just not a thing my brain likes at all. I've tried a few times to get into it but something about the quasi-turn-based battles just rubs me mentally completely the wrong way.

Bastion is phenomenal though, anyone who likes Hades and for some reason hasn't played Bastion needs to go ahead and fix that

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I so desperately want to like Transistor, but the battle system is just not a thing my brain likes at all. I've tried a few times to get into it but something about the quasi-turn-based battles just rubs me mentally completely the wrong way.

Bastion is phenomenal though, anyone who likes Hades and for some reason hasn't played Bastion needs to go ahead and fix that

The trick is that you can actually ignore the turn system and shoot the ranged attack outside of it and then use the turn system to get out of dodge.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

pentyne posted:

Very iconic franchise, that does not benefit from the first game being a little too hard for a casual fun zombie killer play-through. Ironically somewhat of a roguelike as you keep your levels and experience each time you die and start over. The DR2 games are a blast of fun, with OTR significantly better then the first one. Sad state of affairs in that every lesson they learned in making DR2 was promptly forgotten as DR3 and DR4 are suck-fests.

I don't want to sell anyone on it, but I do want to state that I had a lot more fun with DR3 than I expected.

DR4 is a world all its own of dumb, though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Transistor is a puzzle game. The combat tries to imply that player skill is relevant, but it isn't in any way at all. You cannot out-skill anything. It really annoys me too. It's still worth putting up with for a playthrough because the game is beautiful, but it's one of those games that is probably better experienced as an LP than actually playing it yourself.

Bastion on the other hand is an absolute masterpiece and one of the best games ever made. If there is still anyone who hasn't played it, rectify that right away.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
for World of Horror, it's on PC gamepass, so you can check it out that way as well

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't feel like I've ever had a situation like that in World of Horror. I will say that the game's aesthetic feels so much like a horror Phoenix Wright game to me. I mean come on, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0L07tl3oQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvZak9pzMg

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Morter posted:

The hugest whiplash is clicking that while not paying attention and expecting MYST, only to get that. :stare:

I expected Myth: The Fallen Lords, so it was also a shock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oop, blanked on this one, added it to the list.

Lurdiak posted:

Night in the Woods - 40% off A fall-themed indie adventure game about finding yourself, life in a small town, economic anxiety, mental illness, cosmic horror, alienation, the ravages of capitalism, and poetry. Completely engaging and beautiful story, marred slightly by some annoying mini games.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Going to try the DA:Inquisition/ME:Andromeda bundle, only $16.90.

DA 2 was an abomination and i've heard so much crap about ME 3.
Loved ME1 and 2 though.

Can't be a complete waste of money.

Right?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
It may have been missed in the Halloween sale, but Black Mesa development did not stop at launch. The Crowbar Collective announced last night: Black Mesa Definitive Edition Beta is now available for opting in: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/362890/view/2925611484592371251

What's in definitive edition, you say?
Art and aesthetic design passes on "We've Got Hostiles", "On a Rail", "Questionable Ethics", "Surface Tension", and "Forget About Freeman!" chapters
Lighting and level design passes on "Powered Down" and "On a Rail"
Better Steam Workshop support

Black Mesa is currently 50% off, $9.99! What the gently caress that's a lot of improvements.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

OgNar posted:

Going to try the DA:Inquisition/ME:Andromeda bundle, only $16.90.

DA 2 was an abomination and i've heard so much crap about ME 3.
Loved ME1 and 2 though.

Can't be a complete waste of money.

Right?

I recently tried re-playing DA:I and found it felt like an incredibly dull singleplayer MMO. I played about 20 hours of it when it released so I figured maybe it's worth a revisit but yeah it didn't last long. I can't speak for ME:A though, never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Propaganda Hour posted:

It may have been missed in the Halloween sale, but Black Mesa development did not stop at launch. The Crowbar Collective announced last night: Black Mesa Definitive Edition Beta is now available for opting in: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/362890/view/2925611484592371251

What's in definitive edition, you say?
Art and aesthetic design passes on "We've Got Hostiles", "On a Rail", "Questionable Ethics", "Surface Tension", and "Forget About Freeman!" chapters
Lighting and level design passes on "Powered Down" and "On a Rail"
Better Steam Workshop support

Black Mesa is currently 50% off, $9.99! What the gently caress that's a lot of improvements.

nice!

quote:

Female scientists unintentionally do not heal player