Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Navy ships and merchant vessels?

Edit: gently caress, what a damned way to snipe a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Kith posted:

Update: The colonel's wife is now pregnant.

Three guesses as to who the father is. For a handy hint, you should know that the colonel has not had sex with his wife in two years.

why is this in the Idiots thread? seems like the colonel is getting exactly what he wants here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LordSaturn posted:

why is this in the Idiots thread? seems like the colonel is getting exactly what he wants here

The other dude is an idiot for giving him what he wants without written orders because this will absolutely go south for everyone involved.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The other dude is an idiot for giving him what he wants without written orders because this will absolutely go south for everyone involved.

Written orders to impregnate his wife? What form would that be?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 29, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

piL posted:

DD Form 4 is the most common form used to gently caress someone, but there are others.

He did ask to be assigned to the Coital Strategic Reserve Generation Directorate, AKA the 20th Fuckborn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why delete a good joke?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

Why delete a good joke?

I immediately felt guilty for those who had used joining the military to get out of troubles in their lives etc etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s fair.

Doesn’t necessarily stop them from considering themselves hosed by the enlistment form, though.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 29, 2020

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Puckins guy got perma’d immediately at least, which is more than CSPAM can say about the attempted cow bomber.

Even when TFR didn’t have mods it was still better than 90 percent of gun forums. Most online gun forums are incredibly awful.

The what now?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Weka posted:

The what now?

Goon (Turtlicious) posted in the climate change thread asking how to dispose of a bunch of UXO after theyopted not to do a terror attack because they couldn’t get people to join them. Turns out going to a comedy website to make Hahahamas is difficult.

They made those posts in July 2019 and didn’t get perma’d for it til December. No idea what they actually wanted to bomb, but they sure did have a hateboner for cows so everyone just calls them the cowbomber.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Goon (Turtlicious) posted in the climate change thread asking how to dispose of a bunch of UXO after theyopted not to do a terror attack because they couldn’t get people to join them. Turns out going to a comedy website to make Hahahamas is difficult.

They made those posts in July 2019 and didn’t get perma’d for it til December. No idea what they actually wanted to bomb, but they sure did have a hateboner for cows so everyone just calls them the cowbomber.

Quite literally wanted to bomb the cows.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884239&userid=189869

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Holy poo poo kill me please. The only direct action that works is blowing up oil refineries

lmao i'm just picturing a dipshit goon making pipe bombs and trying to blow up an entire industrial complex

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I mean...Caro proved anything is possible.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Caro also proved that following your dreams can get you your own personal suite in hell on earth, so I wouldn't advise following his example.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Caro also proved that following your dreams can get you your own personal suite in hell on earth, so I wouldn't advise following his example.

He ignored a lot of advice. So did puckins guy. Probably so do most murderous crazies. And cross-country-stroller-goon.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm amazed the legend of strollerguy never got any traction outside the forums, it's every bit as powerful as Groverhaus or Doom Bathroom

Then again if it had any traction it wouldn't have been ditched on the side of the trail barely 10 miles in

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kontour posted:

Hi OP.

I don't imagine you will listen to this, but I'd like to give you a few pointers.

I hike for a living as a guide, I spend 250+ nights a year in the bush and I've been doing it for over 5 years now.

First off, I have to say I have absolutely no idea about the geography or climates of the areas you're going to be walking through, but I do have a lot of experience in hot, dry climates.

I'm going to approach this from my experience which is in remote areas with no support options, you say you are planning on stopping in towns which may mean some of what I say is redundant.

You say you are planning on carrying a 26l container with you and a camelbak. I you are walking a conservative 20km a day in 40 degrees celsius, I would expect that to last you around 3 days at a stretch. I climbed a mountain last year that was a 35km walk, and the temperature during the day hit 45. I went through 16 litres in about 18hrs, and didn't pee once. I probably needed to drink more. If you run out in that kind of heat, you will go into heat exhaustion extremely quickly, followed by heat stroke, and then death. Once you reach the point of heat stroke, you're in a very bad place and with no one to support you, you will not survive. At certain temperatures, not even water will save you, your body just can't cool itself effectively.

Lets look at your gear.

Most mountaineers and long distance hikers live and die by their gear, they test it, tweak it and get it completely right before bringing it into a situation where it actually matters. All of your stuff still has the tags on. Have you actually loaded up and camped out for even one or two nights with it?

Your pack is a Jansport. Jansport make gear for the "camp once or twice a year" market. Without seeing the harness setup I can't say for sure, but my gut says it is not a pack that's appropriate for what you plan on doing. You say it was the most comfortable one you tried on, but I don't get the feeling you really looked at that many. More important than how a pack is designed is how you adjust it and how it supports and transfers the weight of the contents on to your body. You would be much better off with a lightweight option from someone like Osprey or Black Diamond.

You have a Big Agnes tent, can you set it up in the dark? In the wind? In the rain? In all three at once? Do you have a repair kit? Have you seam sealed it?

You have a wide brimmed hat. Good. Ditch the umbrella.

Nothing gets me more frightened than an unopened first aid kit. Open it. Pull everything out, put it back in and make sure you know where everything is. Add things to it. I have never found a stock first aid kit that has everything I want to carry in it. Are you first aid qualified?

Your sleeping bag is too big and heavy for extended hiking. Lightweight small bags are expensive but given the distance you are walking, it would be prudent. Likewise your sleeping mat.

Do you have a liner for your bag? It will stop it smelling quite so bad after a few weeks.

You have insect repellant, get rid of the head net. Get rid of the camp towel, use a t-shirt.

You don't need bath wipes, whatever the gently caress they are.

You don't need camp soap, and having it just screams "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE gently caress I'M DOING"

Hot water cleans pots and pans although since you're not taking a stove (something so retarded I'm having trouble comprehending it) you won't need to clean them.

Your lantern is too big and heavy, get one of the small flat magnetic ones.

That poncho will keep you dry for about 5 minutes in anything other than light rain, and anytime you start to sweat it will gather on the inside as condensation and make you wet anyway. I'm not sure how much rain you're planning on coming across, but a lightweight goretex something will be far more versatile.

Your shoes are awful. Get something better. I can't even really break down how inappropriate they are. Walking on the road is going to put a lot of strain on your joints and you need to have excellent cushioning in your footwear, I recommend superfeet. They will also probably wear out in about a week.

As an example here is one of my old boots, next to a new one.

I'd put 7 months on the one on the left and these are the top of the line hike boot in this brands line up.

I deal with people who make wrong gear choices every day, but they're also paying me to make sure they don't die. Your entire setup just screams inexperience and lack of research and time spent outdoors.

I'm not saying what you're attempting to do is impossible, but out of the gate you are drastically reducing your chances for success by not being prepared. Yes, people like that chick in Wild manage to do amazing things with no preparation SOMETIMES, but I've also had to rescue and help idiots like yourself when they've jumped into places and situations that they aren't prepared for.

Morale is also something you're going to struggle with. Hiking is one of those things that sounds easy and fun in your mind but rapidly changes once you start out. Have you ever been so incapacitated by giardia that you poo poo in your tent because you couldn't physically move? Have you ever been so tired hiking that in between steps you actually fall asleep for a second? Have you ever sat in a tent with the wind and the rain howling outside, stuck by yourself miles away from the nearest human being, set up your stove to eat something warm and found that you hadn't screwed the lid on the fuel bottle properly and now you have no fuel for the next 5 days? Have you ever laid in the fetal position in a sleeping bag, tears in your eyes wishing you were anywhere but here? I've done all of those things and while I've come out the other side glad I gained the experience, they were never transcendent events that changed who I was or any bullshit like that. They were just lovely, awful situations.

Take some time, do a whole bunch of extended hikes in fun places, get yourself prepared mentally and physically, get your gear sorted out, and then attempt something like this. As it stands you're being loving stupid.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:discourse:

It really is truly amazing he didn't die out there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
He didn't make it past a well hiked portion of Mt Tam or something right?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

lightpole posted:

He didn't make it past a well hiked portion of Mt Tam or something right?

He went to a state park to "train" and didn't even last a few hours walking around on paved trails. Park Rangers had to rescue him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

madeintaipei posted:

He went to a state park to "train" and didn't even last a few hours walking around on paved trails. Park Rangers had to rescue him.

Was it a training run? I thought he legit began his journey in a state park so grueling and arduous it's described online as "a nice place to walk your dog."

It didn't help that he didn't have a topographic map of the area and decided to take the route that had the most change in elevation.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
It wasn't a training run, I'm pretty sure it was the very beginning of the hike.

Muerte posted:

A lot of the things do have the tags on them still, its not every day you just go hike 2500 miles, I've already broken in my shoes and hiked with my pack full up the many mountains around the area. I don't have visions of it being a romantic journey, I know what is in store for me. I know I'll be starving and thirsty and hot and tired and get blisters and be in pain. I couldn't be more ready to go. While hiking the AT, PCT, CDT would be great fun I want to hike an unconventional route although people have done the route I'm doing.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/real-life-forrest-gump-walks-across-america-in-178-days.html

He walked ~18 miles in four days

It's a fun thread to read through.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Wasn't he also only eating trail mix?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GORP GORP GORP

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

The Rat posted:

Wasn't he also only eating trail mix?

Yes, he was a "picky eater"

Muerte posted:

Its not about not knowing how to cook, its about I'm a very picky eater and have literally lived on pizza, hamburgers, hotwings and chips my entire life. I'm sure you think I'm exaggerating but the people who know me would attest to this statement. I'm also 6' 3" 200# so go ahead and call me fat rear end because that isn't true either.

pentyne posted:

"Well, start eating some vegetables from time to time, peppers, carrots, onions. Fruits like bananas and apples are also high in fiber and a good source of vitamins. Wheat breads and pastas make a healthy alternative to their bleached varieties."

OP: "That's sounds disgusting. I'm trying to have a serious conversation about nutrition not listen to you people trying to convince me to eat things I hate. Maybe try to take me seriously and not just be assholes"

-adds extra ketchup to his fries, no longer scrapes the onions off his Big Mac, talks about how he's forcing down those fast food salads once a week and he's testing his limits

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Muerte's story has recently attracted a bunch of QCS concern trolls to start accusing people making fun of him of doxxing and harassment every time it comes up.

It's hard to sum up how insane it was without reading the thread. He checked out early on when he didn't get 100% effusive praise but kept updating his facebook journey which he had linked in the OP until his eventual collapse.

The most incredible things about the entire story

- He spoke to "Hobo Nick" who had done the same thing to get advice
- His original trek had him walking several hundred miles of highway straight through Texas, and walking through Mississippi and Louisiana in the middle of July. It's where the whole "death march" thing came from as people told him he would literally die if he tried it.
- When asked about safety, said he'd get a realistic looking CO2 gun to brandish if he had too, wasn't worried about getting arrested because according to him, a few days in the slammer was no big deal
- Packed literally nothing but dry food, had no plans to cook, said he could just learn whenever he wanted to and would eat when he got into town
- Started his journey by eating at Denny's.
- When everything went to poo poo, he drove his BMW out to Florida. During the trip, the water system broke down in AZ and his grandma sent him money to get it fixed. In FL he joined his dad's family business. The business in question? it was a stump grinding business, consisting of his dad, and a stump grinder

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The FYAD criterion thread about it is the best read. He started somewhere in the Marin headlands around Mt Tam and lost his stroller within a couple miles or something and abandoned it. I guess it could be hard if he walked in a straight line from the coast to the GG...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

how did he "lose" the cart? i never understood that part.

e: i can understand abandoning it after it became immobile, but that's never the language i've seen used

e2: vvv lol, i see

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 30, 2020

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

how did he "lose" the cart? i never understood that part.

The front wheel broke off because it was a bicycle trailer not meant to be used that way, so he abandoned it almost immediately without making any attempt to fix it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tuyop posted:

75l pack, 35 pounds dry and no camping stove? Hahaha

Muerte posted:

I've survived until the age of 26 and I've never cooked a single thing on a stove, actually I have cooked macaroni before. Stop acting like a dipshit. I can pick up a stove at any point if I decide I want one.

Looking back, the whole self induced forced march without increasing his calorific intake (and maybe even reducing it) is the biggest death march aspect of it, but also what stopped him from getting far enough to really get himself in trouble.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Stingwing posted:

The front wheel broke off because it was a bicycle trailer not meant to be used that way, so he abandoned it almost immediately without making any attempt to fix it.

:stare:

That's just magnificent, especially since people specifically told him in the thread that the cart wasn't a good choice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Left it right where it broke, as I recall.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
We still have an image or two of some of his insufficient kit. Do any images of the famed cart survive? I know it was apparently a bicycle trailer, but what exactly was it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yes, there’s photos in the original thread. A couple of times loca goons offer to go find the trailer but by page 48 that hadn’t happened yet.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah, I thought it would've been posted by the OP, but it was posted by someone else:

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Out of all the strollers in the country OP chose to take one with a tiny front wheel, perfect for getting caught up on loose dirt and gravel. I mean, sure the trip is dumb but crust punks make annual migrations all the time. It's not impossible. You sure as poo poo don't want to pushing an overloaded stroller with lovely plastic wheels when you do it. If you're lucky the bearings will grind themselves into dust only after you've left your state, though!

:lmao:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

pentyne posted:

Muerte's story has recently attracted a bunch of QCS concern trolls to start accusing people making fun of him of doxxing and harassment every time it comes up.

Do you have examples of this? I have never seen anyone taking Muerte’s “side” in this thing, ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Do you have examples of this? I have never seen anyone taking Muerte’s “side” in this thing, ever.

Sleeveless did. It was in the sagas thread. Lots of people saying people were dunking on a mentally ill person and doxxing him for knowing his Facebook page about it (that murte posted in the thread, repeatedly)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Well there's your loving problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I had sleeveless on ignore so I didn't even know about that one. There were a few others who either committed to a bit 100% or were so broke brain from cspam/QCS posting they decided to make their stand on that issue.

This totally sane person decided to weigh and and really argue that goons agressively harassed, doxxed, and facebook stalked the guy who posted all his personal info in his OP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938487&userid=222589

PYF Sagas thread in general attracts a wide variety of posters but draws more then a few Extremely Concerned QCS assholes who can't go 5 seconds without finding some issue to take offense at.