Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

im on the net me boys posted:

I have an otterbox coming in the mail tomorrow so I was thinking maybe I won’t need AppleCare if I have the case everyone says is indestructible

Usually AppleCare or any insurance is not worth it , and as long as you don’t break your phone yearly you come out ahead of time. You do have to be mentally prepared to pay something somewhat large out of pocket if something happens though.

So the question, which is different this year for people in 2020, is just “can you afford a one time $300-500ish repair out of warranty, or paying off $1,000 of you lose it ? If it’s a no for this year, you can also compromise, get apple care monthly for 6-10 months, and cancel when more of the phone is paid off (I assume you can cancel AppleCare).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
In 15 years of having mobile phones I never broke one. I had two phones die during the normal warranty period (24 months in Europe) and two were lost or stolen. AppleCare wouldn’t have helped in any of these cases, and even then it would probably be cheaper to cover the phone through a third party insurance. The main advantage is a bit more convenience.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The problem with going without AppleCare is that glass back. You can get the front glass replaced once for less than the cost of insurance, but if you crack the back then it's a bad day. My kid keeps her Xr in a case and never even realized the back was cracked all to hell. She has AppleCare, but because they'll have to replace the whole phone it'll still costs $99.

All in, I paid $200 for AppleCare and $100 for a deductible on a $600 phone. If she didn't have AppleCare she could have bought an used Xr replacement for $350. So for one instance of damage, it's worth it. If she damages it again before the 2 years are up then it's a slam dunk of a deal. Also any used phone she bought would probably have a poo poo battery whereas her refurb will have a brand new battery.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
you can buy a donor rear housing for like 40 bucks and carefully swap over everything, including the camera, faceid, buttons and all the connectors over to the brand new housing

did that to an x including applying new waterproof seal adhesive around the screen, then i brought the phone to an apple store for a battery swap and didn't get a peep from them :v:

coke
Jul 12, 2009
also if you have a good credit card with one extra year of warranty then they can just 'refund' you the repair cost eg. 1 year apple warranty + 1 extra year from your cc

free repair/replacement within two years, it takes a while for you to apply though but they just need the bill of repair and photo of your item to get the ball rolling

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

It seems Costco only extended the T-Mobile iPhone 12 promo to 11/05/20. Hopefully they'll extend it again for the Max and Mini.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The picture of the 2nd gen AirPods on Apple shows the charging indicator back inside the case. When did that happen? I have a 2nd gen AirPods already and I distinctly remember they moved the charging indicator to the outside.

e: oh never mind its the wireless charging case that has the external lighty

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Beta software is great. I’m getting a pop up telling me to update but the update setting screen says “your software is up to date”.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Beta software is great. I’m getting a pop up telling me to update but the update setting screen says “your software is up to date”.

The system that handles the beta updates is also in beta.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Seems like Apple One is out now. Does anyone know for sure if trying it out will mess with my 9+ months of free Apple TV+ that I have ready for me?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

I have this problem too. If you find a solution let me know!

So far I’ve tried:
-removing the beta profile, reboot
-adding the beta profile back, reboot
-removing it again, reboot

In all scenarios still getting the pop up.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

LuckyCat posted:

I have this problem too. If you find a solution let me know!

So far I’ve tried:
-removing the beta profile, reboot
-adding the beta profile back, reboot
-removing it again, reboot

In all scenarios still getting the pop up.

I read that if you’re on beta you have to set the system clock back to sometime before the 28th of October to get it to stop.

Not on beta, can’t 100% confirm, but lol.

Edit: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/29/a-new-ios-update-is-now-available-ios-14/

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I have a problem I'm not sure how to solve or if it can be solved in a way that I like. When I had my Android phone, I could tell the assistant "play the news" and it would play the five minute hourly briefs from NPR and BBC World Service; I had specified these from a list that the assistant's settings provided. When I tell Siri to play the news, she says she doesn't have an app that can do that, but she doesn't specify which apps could. I could use my podcast app but I don't want to have the hourlies clogging up my unlistened queue. Short of installing the Google Assistant on my iPhone, which I really don't want to do, what can I do to get this function back?

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Seems like Apple One is out now. Does anyone know for sure if trying it out will mess with my 9+ months of free Apple TV+ that I have ready for me?

I subbed to it earlier, and my two prior subscriptions ( free Apple TV+ and Apple Music) still show separate, but list that they will be included as part of Apple One as of November 30 (the end of the free trial). So, it seems as long as you make your decision within the trial, no it shouldn’t mess with the free Apple TV+ offer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I have a problem I'm not sure how to solve or if it can be solved in a way that I like. When I had my Android phone, I could tell the assistant "play the news" and it would play the five minute hourly briefs from NPR and BBC World Service; I had specified these from a list that the assistant's settings provided. When I tell Siri to play the news, she says she doesn't have an app that can do that, but she doesn't specify which apps could. I could use my podcast app but I don't want to have the hourlies clogging up my unlistened queue. Short of installing the Google Assistant on my iPhone, which I really don't want to do, what can I do to get this function back?

:science: Shortcuts

Download Overcast (any podcast player should work but this is a fan favorite and is frequently updated) and subscribe to your podcasts. In the app settings go to Siri Shortcuts and find the podcast.

Tap on it and save the shortcut. I edited the name of the shortcut (from the same screen) which changes the voice command. You can also set a command to play an entire playlist. I think Overcast also has options on how many old episodes to keep so you don’t be bogged down with hundreds of unlistened episodes.

If you want more control you can hope over into the actual Shortcuts app. You can add action blocks to set the desired volume or to start an auto off time and what not. It’s fun!

E: in cAse it wasn’t obvious you’d activate it by saying hey Siri play npr news

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2020

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I did the 14 beta test and everything went well. Now, every time I unlock my phone or open an app, it tells me that I have a new IOS update to download. However, when I go into the software update area, it shows that I do not.

Any way to get rid of this?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I did the 14 beta test and everything went well. Now, every time I unlock my phone or open an app, it tells me that I have a new IOS update to download. However, when I go into the software update area, it shows that I do not.

Any way to get rid of this?

Read the thread. It’s a current issue. Only way is to remove profile and wipe the phone. Restore it from the computer backup they told you to make prior to grabbing the beta profile

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How has ordering through Verizon been for everyone when it comes to preorders? I usually order through Apple since it's 99% painless, quick, easy, but this year, I may hit a snag since I got Verizon recently and I'm getting an "error" about not being an account owner. Not even the Verizon reps knew what was going on since everything looked fine on their end. Hopefully it goes away and refreshes at some point, but if it doesn't, I may have to just use Verizon come the 6th.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had an account issue as well.

The Verizon ordering process was relatively painless. The stickiest part was setting up the trade in but we figured it out.

All told, we had no issues setting up the phones once we had them in hand.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

“Hey Siri, what’s the news?” causes my iPhone to play the day’s CNN briefing.
I recall having the option to pick a source under 13, but can’t find it now under 14.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

“Hey Siri, what’s the news?” causes my iPhone to play the day’s CNN briefing.
I recall having the option to pick a source under 13, but can’t find it now under 14.

Interesting. Even though I pay for News+ when I ask Siri what the news is, she tells me I need to download an app for that. :shrug:

I recall setting a news source for Alexa, but never Siri.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I have a MagSafe charger from apple, an anker usb c car charger with 30w to the usb c. It charges the phone but stays at the same % while in use. What I do wrong?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Krispy Wafer posted:

Interesting. Even though I pay for News+ when I ask Siri what the news is, she tells me I need to download an app for that. :shrug:

Yeah this is my problem as well

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Usually AppleCare or any insurance is not worth it , and as long as you don’t break your phone yearly you come out ahead of time. You do have to be mentally prepared to pay something somewhat large out of pocket if something happens though.

So the question, which is different this year for people in 2020, is just “can you afford a one time $300-500ish repair out of warranty, or paying off $1,000 of you lose it ? If it’s a no for this year, you can also compromise, get apple care monthly for 6-10 months, and cancel when more of the phone is paid off (I assume you can cancel AppleCare).

Krispy Wafer posted:

The problem with going without AppleCare is that glass back. You can get the front glass replaced once for less than the cost of insurance, but if you crack the back then it's a bad day. My kid keeps her Xr in a case and never even realized the back was cracked all to hell. She has AppleCare, but because they'll have to replace the whole phone it'll still costs $99.

All in, I paid $200 for AppleCare and $100 for a deductible on a $600 phone. If she didn't have AppleCare she could have bought an used Xr replacement for $350. So for one instance of damage, it's worth it. If she damages it again before the 2 years are up then it's a slam dunk of a deal. Also any used phone she bought would probably have a poo poo battery whereas her refurb will have a brand new battery.

At least in the US, cell phone insurance on a credit card has become more and more prevalent. It's usually around a $50ish deductable and you're covered for up to $500-800. No Applecare needed.

Check if one of your cards already offers it, and if not take a look around for one that does. Most recently, a new MasterCard from Chase called the 'Freedom Flex' offers up to $800 in coverage since it's a World Elite Mastercard.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else having an issue without being able to back up or transfer their poo poo to a new phone because of not enough storage? My wife's Health app is reporting as taking up 57 petabytes, which from a google, it's a fairly common issue with iOS 14. Super loving annoying since the choices are either to flatten the phone and start over, or wait for a fix.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i apologize in advance for this extremely rude joke. your wife is so fat her health.app data takes up 57 petabytes

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

At least in the US, cell phone insurance on a credit card has become more and more prevalent. It's usually around a $50ish deductable and you're covered for up to $500-800. No Applecare needed.

Check if one of your cards already offers it, and if not take a look around for one that does. Most recently, a new MasterCard from Chase called the 'Freedom Flex' offers up to $800 in coverage since it's a World Elite Mastercard.

I have an Uber Visa with $600 in yearly benefits. But I've got 4 phones I'm responsible for so I usually get AppleCare on 3 and risk the 4th.

I'll have to check if my AmEx has any coverage. You'd think so. It's got a ton of other consumer perks, but I've never seen cell phone damage protection.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

How has ordering through Verizon been for everyone when it comes to preorders? I usually order through Apple since it's 99% painless, quick, easy, but this year, I may hit a snag since I got Verizon recently and I'm getting an "error" about not being an account owner. Not even the Verizon reps knew what was going on since everything looked fine on their end. Hopefully it goes away and refreshes at some point, but if it doesn't, I may have to just use Verizon come the 6th.

I haven’t had people come in with issues. For the issues, are you the main person and number on the account ? If not, you may need to request the account holder authorize your online account be authorized for purchase.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I actually think cell phone coverage on credit cards has been going away. MasterCard World Elite has coverage but their process could be poo poo. I tried an extended warranty request with them once that would’ve been fine with Amex but they denied me.

Uber Visa is great for this but their card sucks otherwise.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I don't believe most Amex cards offer that benefit.

For the Flex, it's:

quote:

The maximum liability is $600 per claim for World Mastercard and $800 per claim for World Elite Mastercard, and $1,000 per Covered Card per 12-month period. Each claim is subject to a $50 deductible. Coverage is limited to two (2) claims per Covered Card per 12-month period.

Josh Lyman posted:

I actually think cell phone coverage on credit cards has been going away. MasterCard World Elite has coverage but their process could be poo poo. I tried an extended warranty request with them once that would’ve been fine with Amex but they denied me.

Uber Visa is great for this but their card sucks otherwise.

Freedom Flex just came out and is, I think, the second type of Chase consumer card to offer that benefit (the first being the IHG MasterCards). MasterCard only added the cell phone protection benefits in the last few years. Cell phone coverage is the new hip benefit to offer, rather than extended warranty or (RIP) price protection.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven’t had people come in with issues. For the issues, are you the main person and number on the account ? If not, you may need to request the account holder authorize your online account be authorized for purchase.

Yeah, when we initially set it up, there was another person listed as the account owner. The Verizon rep tried to make me a manager (so I could try to test ordering a phone) and it all failed, they told me if I went to an official store, they could help out. I went to the store and the guys there said their "authorized user" thing is different from whatever an "account manager" is and it wouldn't result in much. The guy basically said if I get the rep to unregister the phones with MyVerizon, I can re-setup with my number being the account owner, which I did. And then that led to the question above. It just seems weird, online through Verizon's website, everything seems to work fine. It's just through Apple's store online and on the app. The app claims to be checking with Verizon to verify things, but I guess it's not or it can't or something in between.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I wonder if it’s because I don’t pay for News+ or have a 3rd party podcast app installed?

I’ve just been saying that during morning routines for as long as I can recall.

According to this: https://geeksmodo.com/how-to-get-siri-to-read-news-articles/
one changes the source by saying “switch to XXX”

Good luck?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Guys the default “play the news” app is Apple Podcasts. But with the power of Shortcuts you can use Overcast or other podcast apps.

Boris Galerkin posted:

:science: Shortcuts

Download Overcast (any podcast player should work but this is a fan favorite and is frequently updated) and subscribe to your podcasts. In the app settings go to Siri Shortcuts and find the podcast.

Tap on it and save the shortcut. I edited the name of the shortcut (from the same screen) which changes the voice command. You can also set a command to play an entire playlist. I think Overcast also has options on how many old episodes to keep so you don’t be bogged down with hundreds of unlistened episodes.

If you want more control you can hope over into the actual Shortcuts app. You can add action blocks to set the desired volume or to start an auto off time and what not. It’s fun!

E: in cAse it wasn’t obvious you’d activate it by saying hey Siri play npr news

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone else having an issue without being able to back up or transfer their poo poo to a new phone because of not enough storage? My wife's Health app is reporting as taking up 57 petabytes, which from a google, it's a fairly common issue with iOS 14. Super loving annoying since the choices are either to flatten the phone and start over, or wait for a fix.

Mentioned this in the Apple Watch thread, but you’re not alone. This is a post of mine from September:

illcendiary posted:

Weird bug with iOS 14, my phone is showing the right amount of storage used, but the bar is completely filled red because apparently my Health app is using 56.29 petabytes (!!) 😂

Haven’t had to do any sort of restore since then though. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Could somebody tell me the data rates for the various video modes on the 12 Pro? Looking into getting the Max next week and I’m thinking about what storage config to get, since I’m planning to use the video function extensively for work. Thanks!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thank you for the Overcast recommendation. I have labored far too long in the Podcasts.app gulag.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Thank you for the Overcast recommendation. I have labored far too long in the Podcasts.app gulag.

It's the best, and Marco and the gang on ATP is easily one of the best podcasts about tech out there. And they also just took ten minutes in the most recent episode to encourage everyone to vote. They're good people.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LionArcher posted:

It's the best, and Marco and the gang on ATP is easily one of the best podcasts about tech out there. And they also just took ten minutes in the most recent episode to encourage everyone to vote. They're good people.

except casey

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John sold out when he stopped writing novella-length reviews of OS X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AirPods Pro got an extended service program for sound issues and are now covered for two years from purchase

https://support.apple.com/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues