Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You need to watch 'Get Him to the Greek' immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1321996131757379584?s=21

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had never heard of Allen Gregory until you guys started talking about it. What's so bad about it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Everything, pretty much. All the characters were horrible and unlikable. Imagine Always Sunny but some of them are children and also it isn't funny.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I was rooting for napoleon dynamite

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Phlegmish posted:

I had never heard of Allen Gregory until you guys started talking about it. What's so bad about it?

Here's the thread from when it came out, if you're interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445803

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My parents requested The Regina Monologues earlier.

It's as bad as I remembered it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hedgehog Pie posted:

My parents requested The Regina Monologues earlier.

It's as bad as I remembered it.

Requested? You have parents with favorite zombie Simpsons episodes?

Fun fact from the wiki page for that episode:

quote:

The episode has become study material for sociology courses at University of California Berkeley, where it is used to "examine issues of the production and reception of cultural objects, in this case, a satirical cartoon show", and to figure out what it is "trying to tell audiences about aspects primarily of American society, and, to a lesser extent, about other societies". Some questions asked in the courses include:

• What aspects of American society are being addressed in the episode?
• What aspects of them are used to make the points?
• How is the satire conveyed: through language? drawing? music?
• Is the behavior of each character consistent with his/her character as developed over the years?
• Can we identify elements of the historical/political context that the writers are satirizing?
• What is the difference between satire and parody?

Imagine getting to write a sociology paper about satire in the Simpsons but it has to be about a terrible episode.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Ror posted:

Requested? You have parents with favorite zombie Simpsons episodes?

They can't take long films (we're all alcoholics) so I suggested some Simpsons to pass the time. This led to "put that one where they come to England on!".

quote:

Imagine getting to write a sociology paper about satire in the Simpsons but it has to be about a terrible episode.

For me, this cushions the blow about probably never being able to study in North America.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lisa turns n-i-n- *Ben Hughes bursts in*

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

:glomp:

And yeah, Allen Gregory is the only thing I've "seen" him in, so my opinion of him was instantly negative. Maybe he'll redeem himself one day.

How are you a human male and you've never seen Superbad

Imagined posted:

You need to watch 'Get Him to the Greek' immediately.

What

No

Don't listen to this guy, that movie sucks rear end.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

What

No

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thanks for the screen grab wit hthe play button on it, Al!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At this point I'm not even willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the joke is in the center

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm not a human male :v:

quote:

What

No

See, now I'm curious

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

She is not so I guess it checks out

e: not human I mean, of course

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Jonah Hill is a good actor who's done some great movies, but he's frequently casted as a scummy toady or some other unlikeable character. I guess I'd suggest watching Moneyball or Get Him to the Greek if you want to have a better opinion of him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK Treehouse of Horror XXXI

The Homer voting thing had an OK joke. I think the teaser clip had Lisa listing all the bad thing's Trump's done, but the actual show version was a scrolling list. Maybe they wanted to get very recent stuff in, because it had some. In the middle of it, they do a cut to over Homer's shoulder, and you see the list reads backward from his point of view, but he's still following it along. Good for a chuckle. It's all a dream, Homer slept through voting and goes "how bad could it be?" Cut to a post-apocalypse where Moleman is getting kicked around by the bad robot from Robocop.

First real story is a Toy Story parody. The CG actually doesn't look too bad. There's a Randy Newman-style song with a montage of Bart destroying toys. Bart melts a Radioactive Man doll in the microwave, which vows revenge as he dies.

Some classic late Simpsons way overexplaining the joke: The toys have a funeral for the Radioactive Man. Krusty doll says his belongings will go to his widow and hands his cape to one of those cymbal clapping monkeys. And OK joke on its own, but then Krusty goes "His wife was a monkey?! Well love is love". I mean, overexplaining the joke, but also you gave the monkey the cape, you already knew that was his widow, you can't be surprised by this.

The toys kill Bart and replace his insides with toy parts.

2nd story: Into the Homer-verse. Homer causes an accident at the plant, and Homers from other dimensions start falling out of portals. Homer Barbeara (Yogi Bear Homer), Disney Princess Homer (Cinderella), a noir film Homer, an 8 bit video game one, and an anime one. For some reason Lisa knows what's going on and gets them to recreate the accident. This is mostly just a vehicle for dumb animation jokes, this one sucked.

3rd one: It's Lisa's 9th birthday. The party is lame, and she says "Somebody kill me" and gets run over by a car driven by Gil running into the living room. She wakes up 5 minutes prior and escapes death this time, only to get killed by a series of accidents. Nelson tells her they're caught in a time loop where they die every time. They try a bunch of stuff, but wind up getting out of it by murdering Gil.

This one was OK actually.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Can almost guarantee that toy story thing is Disney testing the waters on how to do the show way cheaper

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't imagine the show looking any cheaper than it already is

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Cool moment that I never noticed in the episode where the Simpsons kids get fostered by the Flanders family. When Lisa's baby tooth falls out leaving a gap in the middle, she makes a whistling sound when she talks, can't find it on Youtube unfortunately.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't imagine the show looking any cheaper than it already is

Worker and Parasite style animation?

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 3, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm not a human male :v:

See, now I'm curious

I just kind of go with the assumption that the last female posters fled during the second Lowtax woman hitting saga

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Worker and Parasite style animation?

Worker and Parasite is actually enjoyable for me to look at, though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Finally Lisa gets a birthday episode. Maybe they can have a celebrity popstar do a song for her or something.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Lady Gaga?!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Lisa's 8th birthday was shown on screen, and her 9th birthday is now being shown on screen

Yet Bart remains 10 through both these events

Makes u think

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Cromulent Case of Benjamin Borton

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The show already made if clear that Bart is actually a creature from Uranus, and Uranian years are obviously longer than Earth years

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The whole show is from someone's anus at this point

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

womb with a view posted:

Lisa's 8th birthday was shown on screen, and her 9th birthday is now being shown on screen

Makes u think

Apu's kids went from gestation to toddlers without anyone else aging.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

womb with a view posted:

Makes u think

its Treehouse of horror though presumably she will stay 8 in the show.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

muscles like this! posted:

Apu's kids went from gestation to toddlers without anyone else aging.

But Bart still learned the true meaning of Winter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's definitely an idea in an animated show where the titular family doesn't age and has their original locked to a particular era but time passes and side characters age in regular time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They should just go "Vacation" with it and change the age of the kids based on whatever the plot is that week.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PostNouveau posted:

They should just go "Vacation" with it and change the age of the kids based on whatever the plot is that week.

It's the perfect move because it's equally plausibly either a really subtle subversive joke or the result of utter incompetence, and it's impossible to prove which.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/1325180220803084288

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*we did not, in fact, need that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not even really sure what to say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stricly stop airing this show