Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

The Pixel 5 feels SO GOOD without a case. The texture on the back & sides is really grippy, unlike the 3 which was like holding a bar of soap.

Unless you got the sorta sage color, in which case you only have to worry about it LOOKING like a bar of soap. :v:

codo27 posted:

Holy gently caress I'm not gonna sleep tonight now knowing there are people out there who use the phone speaker for anything but notifications. You waste all this money on dumb phones you'll replace every 5 minutes, but don't have a quality, accessible audio concern setup throughout your home smdh

Yeah I don't get this at all. I can't imagine using the speakers on ANY phone for anything other than voice calls. If you want to listen to stuff in the kitchen while cooking or whatever, you can get a cheap bluetooth speaker for like ~$20 that will sound way better than any phone ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm not going to run off and grab my dang earbuds or pair my phone to a dang speaker just to fire up youtube and listen to a long-haired weirdo talk about an obscure gun

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I just gotta hear the high fidelity audio in all of these cat videos!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fishy Flip posted:

Unless you got the sorta sage color, in which case you only have to worry about it LOOKING like a bar of soap. :v:

Yeah I don't get this at all. I can't imagine using the speakers on ANY phone for anything other than voice calls. If you want to listen to stuff in the kitchen while cooking or whatever, you can get a cheap bluetooth speaker for like ~$20 that will sound way better than any phone ever will.

Sometimes you're sitting on the couch browsing mindlessly and there's some 30 second funny clip linked somewhere. You don't understand wanting to be able to hear that ok without needing headphones or a bluetooth speaker?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Our household hasn't bought a sound setup since the twin lead days.

Someone bought a bluetooth speaker for their phone, then turned around and bought a 4K TV that didn't have bluetooth, that was a pretty lol worthy moment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

I figure manufacturers hire people to make packaging to survive FedEx.

They do. Except this time it looks like it was designed by the marketing team rather than the engineers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like watching YouTube in bed. I don't need to pull out my speaker for that.

I didn't think about this at all, but my mom's speakerphone isn't super loud and it doesn't help with her hearing. Knowing about speakers under the glass is worrying.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'd love to know when my pixel is going to arrive but the tracking number now says, "Duplicate PIN" on Canada Post so god knows when it will get here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vasler posted:

I'd love to know when my pixel is going to arrive but the tracking number now says, "Duplicate PIN" on Canada Post so god knows when it will get here.

Mine too!!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you cover the bottom speakers, you'll see that the majority of the sound is coming from them. The under screen speaker just kind of fills it in but it's hardly noticeable that it's working at all.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The speakers sound like dogshit coming from the Pixel 3, I plugged this thing in and the charging notification sound made my wife say "what the gently caress was that" because it sounded like an 8bit robot fart.

Still worth the upgrade tho, this thing is super loving zippy and the battery life lives up to the hype so far.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

codo27 posted:

Holy gently caress I'm not gonna sleep tonight now knowing there are people out there who use the phone speaker for anything but notifications. You waste all this money on dumb phones you'll replace every 5 minutes, but don't have a quality, accessible audio concern setup throughout your home smdh

I have high end surround sound in my living room, not my kitchen, sorry. Also I'm listening to people talk, not music, and just need it to be loud enough over cooking stuff.

Also any excuse is a good excuse to not buy another phone. This year has been bad even by my standards.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Phone speakers are the only part of the phone that has gotten outright worse in every way than phones were 5 years ago. Personally, I blame waterproofing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Give me updated internals in the body of my old HTC One M7 and I'd be doing just fine.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Twerk from Home posted:

Phone speakers are the only part of the phone that has gotten outright worse in every way than phones were 5 years ago. Personally, I blame waterproofing.

Personally I think it's all a ploy to stop kids walking down the street blasting lil dolphin or whatever mumble rap artist til tok has latched onto.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Hey it's not like Nest Minis are free... oh wait...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Nah, lots of phones now have front facing stereo speakers, which are so much better than the single bottom facing standard of the early 2010s

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Goddamn. Just playing around with the thing this evening finishing setting it up. Off of a full charge I'm just shy of 3 hours SoT and I'm only down to 74% battery.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Hey it's not like Nest Minis are free... oh wait...
alright, getting ready to watch this youtube video, but oh god, i can't watch it with these terrible phone speakers, better cast to my...audio only device?
phone speakers are fine, just don't use them in public

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a small house so my living room setup can easily pump through the whole place, plus I have nice studio monitors in my office. Then sometimes gf will put on music while cleaning and play it through the god drat nest mini.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm enjoying the shift from my 2xl to the pixel 5. The smaller form factor is much easier and the screen isn't any smaller. I got the blue fabric case and I am enjoying the texture of it. Lookswise I'm not sure about it, with the sage phone it's a bit... pastelly but it feels great.

I listen to podcasts a lot and find speaker quality is fine for that.

Also someone here asked about tempered glass screen protectors? I got a cheap set off Amazon, it's 1mm or so away from the edges all round and definitely rises noticeably. My 2xl had some screen shattering in the bottom corner (and badly on the back glass) for a long time from a caseless drop onto concrete so I'm being paranoid. Not sure I like it really, maybe a better sized one would match up with the case edges but then it's kind of defeating the purpose of having a lip there as screen protector will be getting scratches and bumps the screen wouldn't have been anyway.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy gently caress, been surfing the internet for 40 minutes and my Pixel 5 battery is still at 100%.

Unsure if godlike battery or software glitch, with Google it could be either.

EDIT: proof

smoobles fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 30, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gotta be a glitch man. Which 1:15 AM is it talking about 17 hours away? That doesn't make sense

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Green fabric case has arrived. I've been getting the fabric cases since the pixel 2 xl and it's interesting to see how they evolved.

This year they extended the microfiber up the side rails of the case and on a whole the thing is a bit more grippy than fabric cases in the past.

The lip around the display is there but subtle, that's one of the things that seems to vary the most year to year. The radius of the side rails are a bit different from last year's which brings the highest point of the lip away from the screen a mm or so further. This will likely help keep the case from interfering with edge gestures.

I like the fact that they are machine washable now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Green fabric case has arrived. I've been getting the fabric cases since the pixel 2 xl and it's interesting to see how they evolved.

This year they extended the microfiber up the side rails of the case and on a whole the thing is a bit more grippy than fabric cases in the past.

The lip around the display is there but subtle, that's one of the things that seems to vary the most year to year. The radius of the side rails are a bit different from last year's which brings the highest point of the lip away from the screen a mm or so further. This will likely help keep the case from interfering with edge gestures.

I like the fact that they are machine washable now.

I really like the combination of fabric colors going on with it, sorta peacock-like with the bright green against the darker bluish tones

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

codo27 posted:

Gotta be a glitch man. Which 1:15 AM is it talking about 17 hours away? That doesn't make sense

Yeah I restarted and it went to 95%.

Still amazing tho. The battery life is so good that I've turned off the percentage since I don't really need to think about it with my typical usage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/30/amazon-is-opening-every-motorola-razr-box-to-fold-the-phone-for-safer-shipping/

Apparently it's not Amazon that's opening the Motorcycle Razr, it's Motorola themselves.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Give me updated internals in the body of my old HTC One M7 and I'd be doing just fine.

please!! this is all i want

i would also accept an updated One A9, which i only upgraded to this dying pixel 2 from because the camera OIS killed itself

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I returned my Note 20 Ultra after using a pixel 5 for one day. the SoT on this thing seems almost impossible and my god it is the most perfect sized device of all time.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Pixel 5 is a huge step up in performance, feel, and appearance from the 3. And that battery, mother of god. Coming from a regular P3 it's night and day even with constant SOT on cellular data.

But my god the 5G icon is hideous. It's like an italicized racing video game title for the N64. Is there any way to get rid of it or change it? Also, how do I get the old screenshot functionality back? Swipe up to take screenshots doesn't include the full UI elements and I can't take screenshots of my home screen either.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cromlech posted:

But my god the 5G icon is hideous. It's like an italicized racing video game title for the N64. Is there any way to get rid of it or change it? Also, how do I get the old screenshot functionality back? Swipe up to take screenshots doesn't include the full UI elements and I can't take screenshots of my home screen either.

Pretty sure icons are set by your carrier, with no way to change it (other than maybe rooting it).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

codo27 posted:

I have a small house so my living room setup can easily pump through the whole place, plus I have nice studio monitors in my office. Then sometimes gf will put on music while cleaning and play it through the god drat nest mini.

Mai Waife would be upset if I cranked my stupid podcasts across the whole house generally. Hopefully you now understand that different people have different needs and desires.

I also have smart speakers all over but unfortunately not much kitchen space as I live in a place where housing costs well over $1200 per square foot. That would be an ok solution otherwise.

And of course as mentioned I will use anything as an excuse to convince myself that I don't need another phone as someone who has owned the pixel 4 xl, s20 ultra, fold 2 and note 20 ultra this year.

nerdrum posted:

I returned my Note 20 Ultra after using a pixel 5 for one day. the SoT on this thing seems almost impossible and my god it is the most perfect sized device of all time.

Did not need to hear that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

P5 is here.

The back of the green is loving beautiful and I don't want to put a case on it.

I already have fingerprints on the camera cause I keep holding it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Did not need to hear that.

Return the Note 20 Ultra, buy two Pixel 5s, then you'll have 16 GB ram, 4 cameras, etc, and can have both bigger numbers and a nicer phone to use

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrDork posted:

Pretty sure icons are set by your carrier, with no way to change it (other than maybe rooting it).

Correct.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DrDork posted:

Lmao who thought that would be a good idea

it was the carriers

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sereri posted:

Lmao who thought that would be a good idea

The same people who thought they could just swap the 4G LTE icon for a "5GE" one on 4G-only phones and call it a day.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I got my Pixel 5 today!

My pixel 1 died halfway through the file transfer process so it didn't finish and I can't figure out how to enable it again.

So I put in a help request with Google. To their credit, someone called me right away. However. I could barely hear the guy (sounded robotic because his connection was awful) and there was a rooster crowing in the background constantly.

The call got disconnected and it shows it as "in progress" now.

So uh...is there any way to transfer the rest of my stuff over without doing a hard reset and starting over?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vasler posted:

I got my Pixel 5 today!

My pixel 1 died halfway through the file transfer process so it didn't finish and I can't figure out how to enable it again.

So I put in a help request with Google. To their credit, someone called me right away. However. I could barely hear the guy (sounded robotic because his connection was awful) and there was a rooster crowing in the background constantly.

The call got disconnected and it shows it as "in progress" now.

So uh...is there any way to transfer the rest of my stuff over without doing a hard reset and starting over?

The exact same thing happened to me today ; my OG pixel died about 75% through the data transfer process. I had to charge it back up to 50% and then reconnect it, the transfer process picked up where it left off. For whatever reason the Pixel 5 didn't drop out of the process while I was charging the other phone, probably because I left the transfer cable plugged into it the whole time. If you reconnect your phone it might do the same thing for you, otherwise you just have to start over.

Pretty pleased with the Pixel 5, although I did have to enable the bottom row of navigation buttons because I could not figure out the newfangled swipe navigation and kept logging myself out of apps. I didn't notice the speakers being abysmally bad but I'm not an audiophile so IDK. They were loud enough to play some music in the background while I was cooking dinner and keep the kid occupied with Sesame Street while we were getting ready for bed, that's enough for me.

The only downside I can see right now is the memory. My wife's Galaxy S20 has half a terabyte, feels very limiting and behind the times to not have any more storage on this phone than I had on my old Pixel (128gb) and no option to expand it either. I don't save much on my phone besides music and a billion pictures of our kid so it should be fine, but I'll have to be judicious with the storage and rely on cloud services more than I like. The cloth case is solid, although I don't know if it's worth $40. The texture is very nice, feels good in your hand, and being able to wash it when necessary are all cool though. If you're on the fence I'd say wait for a sale or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is there no simple way to send a chrome tab to your pc from your phone's chrome?