Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fence posts they stole from across town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, Dick Johnson used bolt in alloy roll cages in his Falcons only because of weight issues:

He's mentioned that if they had the money they should have gone for something better

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Those clamps are steel, right?
I'd be more concerned about the alloy bars. I don't think I've ever heard of a race-legal aluminum cage.

The clamps are indeed steel.

Aluminium used in Australian rollcages was of a different and stronger grade than used elsewhere, hence a lot of howling happened when alloy cages were deemed illegal for new log booked cars in I think 1994. Australian style aluminium cages did not snap like O/S attempts. The issue was that steel resists being deformed so that it will try to spring back - Aluminium doesnt and thence cage collapse might be more likely to occur. It was only an issue if you were say Peter Grinrod hitting a fence post at 200kph sideways in a rally and barrel rolling your Commodore seven times and hammering the A-pillar down. Which to be fair, also was likely to happen on a steel cage without a Sainz Bar.

You Am I posted:

Yeah, Dick Johnson used bolt in alloy roll cages in his Falcons only because of weight issues:

He's mentioned that if they had the money they should have gone for something better

His sponsor was a tube miller. So I'm straight out calling BS on that one esp when Chrome-Moly was available from Palmers. He also collected gum trees at 140kph which would challenge even today's cages. Cage theory and design was also..... kinda poo poo in 1983

quote:

t's got some real "overheard a conversation about bolt-in roll cages while 3 beers down in a crowded bar and just went for it" vibes to it.

1981 homologated cage, likely from Bond Roll Bars.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

this is Berwick as gently caress by the way

Rhyno posted:

Fence posts they stole from across town.

nahh, Packenham is just down the road

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just going by local trends. Steel scrappers usually steal a good distance from where they live.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Memento posted:

this is Berwick as gently caress by the way

nahh, Packenham is just down the road

Hah! It is. I grew up in Beaconsfield, between Berwick and Pakenham (no C) and yeah, Berwick is either new development bogans or old money snobs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

1) Jesus. I'm expecting the back half of that Cutlass to drop off any day now. Looks like the bumper tried to.

2) Not appreciating being bombarded by the related furry Twitter accounts.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Aluminium used in Australian rollcages was of a different and stronger grade than used elsewhere, hence a lot of howling happened when alloy cages were deemed illegal for new log booked cars in I think 1994. Australian style aluminium cages did not snap like O/S attempts. The issue was that steel resists being deformed so that it will try to spring back - Aluminium doesnt and thence cage collapse might be more likely to occur. It was only an issue if you were say Peter Grinrod hitting a fence post at 200kph sideways in a rally and barrel rolling your Commodore seven times and hammering the A-pillar down. Which to be fair, also was likely to happen on a steel cage without a Sainz Bar.

There's also the thing where roll cages up until the late 70s where afaik all bolt-ins, and when weld-ins started showing up in force and turned out to be better in almost every way the days of alu cages where numbered, since welding alu to steel is still to this day kind of a poo poo show. Another problem if you're going for a welded alu cage is that if you don't heat treat it afterwards (which might be tricky when it's, you know, welded in place inside your car and also hard to verify that it has actually been done) your yield strength drops to a third or even less depending on the alloy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's also the thing where roll cages up until the late 70s where afaik all bolt-ins, and when weld-ins started showing up in force and turned out to be better in almost every way the days of alu cages where numbered, since welding alu to steel is still to this day kind of a poo poo show. Another problem if you're going for a welded alu cage is that if you don't heat treat it afterwards (which might be tricky when it's, you know, welded in place inside your car and also hard to verify that it has actually been done) your yield strength drops to a third or even less depending on the alloy.

Cages weren't welded in as more of a rule until the early 90's, it even persisted at international level.

What mostly happened with alloy cages is alloy cage was given tabs that you bolted the cage to the bodyshell - So for instance on a cage I had on a RX2, there was a plate put into the A and B pillars with captive nuts so that the cage tags would line up and you could then bolt the cage to the shell. Even with a steel cgae like my final RX2 coupe had, that was bolted to the shell (Cage homologation was 1991 in that case) - see BOM's Bargain Racement part 6 how effective that can be.

We also in this case need to be more specific in saying this was in Australia due to the differences in access to aluminium that could be used as cage material and thence why it persisted longer here.

In the end it's an old cage used in a much different time.... and I was about to say we've moved on but I've seen what some people call cages and yikes I'd almost prefer to use that 40 year old alloy thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

His sponsor was a tube miller. So I'm straight out calling BS on that one esp when Chrome-Moly was available from Palmers. He also collected gum trees at 140kph which would challenge even today's cages. Cage theory and design was also..... kinda poo poo in 1983
Quote from DJ from Australian Muscle Car, issue 10:

"No not really. It was still just an alloy roll cage, which had to be bolted to the shell everywhere because it's pretty hard to weld aluminium to steel"

"I reckon if I had my time again and having seen the Steve Masterton car which had a welded chrome-moly (steel) cage in it, that would have been the better way to go"

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Just spotted on a mushroom ID group:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WTF, Lamborghini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ8XcIIWMBQ&t=491s

Just go to where the oil filter location is revealed at 8:11.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 29, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Platystemon posted:

WTF, Lamborghini?

That's pretty bad but at the same time extremely impressive.

At least it's on the cold side though, unlike the Subaru Ring of DeathTM.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
With no experience in working on them, I must admit I assumed that cars at that level require you to drop the engine to do even the most basic maintenance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's pretty common placement on Italian engines of that sort; lots of Ferraris have it there too.

At least the oil empties out by gravity so it doesn't ALL go everywhere

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Putting this in here but imagine it's continuing on from self-driving car chat. :v:

https://twitter.com/dogryan100/status/1321800383505657856?s=20

https://twitter.com/roborace/status/1321798841117642753?s=20

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

2021 BMW 4-series:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That euro plate really helps take your eyes off that ridiculous gaping maw, and almost makes it look like there is a horizontal crossbar behind it which would help a lot. Stubby little US plates are gonna look real dumb (as always).

One of the very few cars that looks better with a front plate, and that they have one on in these promo shots means they know it. Still doesn't fix that drat stupid grille.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grille makes me want some waffles.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

What's up doc?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Autoblog article the pictures came from was generally positive on the car, but summed it up as "Besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watch it'll be like Richard Hammond being like "I choose to drive this car because that way I don't have to look at it" *catches a glimpse of it in a reflection* "AAAHH IT'S HORRIBLE"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The only way they could make it worse is put it up on stilts, cover the wheel arches with black plastic and call it a sports-activity vehicle.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Well, they can't make the maw anymore gaping without making the car taller so presumably that will be the next version

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Platystemon posted:

WTF, Lamborghini?

Since that uses a separate filter could you not make the "filter cup" walls higher so the filter can sit completely inside. When changing the filter you could suck out the old oil and not spill anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Since that uses a separate filter could you not make the "filter cup" walls higher so the filter can sit completely inside. When changing the filter you could suck out the old oil and not spill anything.

Yes, making modifications to a high strung low production supercar motor to make changing the oil easier sounds like a great idea.

Do you realize just not using the dealership for service at just one interval cuts literally tens of thousands of dollars of value off of one of those things? It's not a regular car valued in regular ways that is purchased by regular buyers.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Odds are the filter and housing are a part they get from VW/audi for cheap, so it gets fit on and they focus on something else. Lambo may be a high end manufacturer, but they will save money where they can to help that whole low volume, high margin thing they got going on.

The headlights on the diablo come to mind here. They bought the design for the 300z's headlights and dropped them in. If you see an early diablo with a bar across the headlights, its actually there to cover up the nissan logo on some of them.

Pinch pennies where you can, use the money building up/tuning the motor for another 50hp dickwaving.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Elmnt80 posted:

If you see an early diablo with a bar across the headlights, its actually there to cover up the nissan logo on some of them.

no way, lmao

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

no way, lmao

Ab-so-lutely

There are several examples of climate control panels, I think the rear lights of a Zonda are off of some Daewoo. The Esprit had Corolla tail lights. The 944 might as well have had Volvo tail lights. And then the tons of things with Hella round rear/marker lights - everything from heavy equipment to hypercars.

Lights are hard. And expensive, because they need to be certified.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Code Jockey posted:

no way, lmao

100% true.

Parts bin sharing are super common like Motronic said. For similar reasons take a good look at motorhomes next time you have the opportunity to. They are the real mutts.

And it's not just light assemblies, you'll find head units/HVAC controls shared over makes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The Pagani Zonda uses the climate control panel from the Rover 45. The Lambo Murcielago uses the climate control from the Rover 45 with remoulded buttons.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^ that's awesome

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's a good thing it's dry as a bone around here

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

It's a good thing it's dry as a bone around here

?

Is that about the snorkel?

I mean, I get it but also I've put snorkels on poo poo that absolutely can NOT get their hood under the water without serious repercussions just so I could be behind anyone on a dusty trail ride and not have to stop and bang out my air filer every 30 minutes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

?

Is that about the snorkel?

I mean, I get it but also I've put snorkels on poo poo that absolutely can NOT get their hood under the water without serious repercussions just so I could be behind anyone on a dusty trail ride and not have to stop and bang out my air filer every 30 minutes.

I mean, I don't know poo poo about snorkels so I'm happy to admit this is the wrong thread; I just wanted to share either way because it appeared to be made out of ABS pipe which amused me

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There is a shitload of fine moon dust around here this time of year so if that's functional for that purpose then I can definitely dig that home depot job.

This was today

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ab-so-lutely

There are several examples of climate control panels, I think the rear lights of a Zonda are off of some Daewoo. The Esprit had Corolla tail lights. The 944 might as well have had Volvo tail lights. And then the tons of things with Hella round rear/marker lights - everything from heavy equipment to hypercars.

Lights are hard. And expensive, because they need to be certified.

Oh my god I had no idea and I'll never be able to unsee that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

I mean, I don't know poo poo about snorkels so I'm happy to admit this is the wrong thread; I just wanted to share either way because it appeared to be made out of ABS pipe which amused me

Yeah, that can still work out. I get it, but it's entirely possible this is functional.