Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's hard to tell from the archaeological record but (intentional) fire almost certainly predates homo sapiens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fire obviously predates humans lol :xd: look at the sun lol read a book

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there is only pre-agrarian, and agrarian

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jazerus posted:

That distinction is complicated by the mesolithic hobby agrarian.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jazerus posted:

That wasn't binary but a continuum, varying across time and space. Some people went back and forth between the two more than once. Some people are still pre-agrarian

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

it's hard to tell from the archaeological record but (intentional) fire almost certainly predates homo sapiens

Ah, I see another person who studies BIG HISTORY (tm), now we're talking on the right time scale.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

galagazombie posted:

That's why I said "Arbitrary and more for convenience than fact". Just that Western Historiography loved those two dates as the dividing points. Even though that way of looking things is no longer taken as gospel by serious historians, it still holds massive weight, even unconsciously, on how people in the West view history.

Does it, though? Those particular dates have never been as universally accepted as you seem to think, is my point.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Fire obviously predates humans lol :xd: look at the sun lol read a book

We cannot and should not tolerate any competition for man's dominance of the solar system, and it is for this reason we must endeavor to destroy the sun.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Communist Walrus posted:

We cannot and should not tolerate any competition for man's dominance of the solar system, and it is for this reason we must endeavor to destroy the sun.

No you go too far. The sun is lazy, it lacks discipline. We must build a dyson sphere and put the sun to work. Teaching it the value of honest labor.

It is our duty, our burden.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

In it, voted 5.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuschia tude posted:

That wasn't binary but a continuum, varying across time and space. Some people went back and forth between the two more than once. Some people are still pre-agrarian

There are some people who've never lived in Constantinople, yet they live in the modern era

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sullat posted:

So many eurocentric dates. Ancient history period would end with the fall of the Tang.

Applying the "ancient"/"medieval" distinction to Chinese history is a bit odd, since there were multiple periods of medieval/modern-style disunity (Warring States, Three Kingdoms, Sixteen Kingdoms, Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms). A Google search suggests that in a pop-history context, "medieval China" generally begins with the fall of the Han rather than the Tang, perhaps because the Han, unlike the Tang, overlapped chronologically with the Western Roman Empire.

The really interesting question is where "ancient" ends and "medieval" begins in Indian history.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Modern history begins with sliced bread which was the greatest thing since the wheel.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Modern history begins with sliced bread which was the greatest thing since the wheel.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Anyone who remembers how ppl dressed in the 80's cannot possibly believe the modern time started anywhere before 1991

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone who has seen anything lately cannot possibly believe the modern time has started.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

Applying the "ancient"/"medieval" distinction to Chinese history is a bit odd, since there were multiple periods of medieval/modern-style disunity (Warring States, Three Kingdoms, Sixteen Kingdoms, Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms). A Google search suggests that in a pop-history context, "medieval China" generally begins with the fall of the Han rather than the Tang, perhaps because the Han, unlike the Tang, overlapped chronologically with the Western Roman Empire.

The really interesting question is where "ancient" ends and "medieval" begins in Indian history.

Is it just confirmation bias or is Chinese Historiography overly fond of naming things in numbered groups? Three Kingdoms, Four Books and Five Classics etc. While every culture will have things named like this I feel like China takes it to a whole new level.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Any thoughts on this Lindybeige video on spears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

The primary message is that in an open field, 2-handed spears are pretty dominant in a variety of situations from mass infantry to small skirmishes, they are superior to sword and shield or big sword or anything else. Spear and shield on the other hand is mediocre in small skirmishes, as soon as someone with a shield can get past their spear they are hosed untilthey pull out their backup sword/axe). Instead, spear and shield excels in mass infantry blocks, where you can force the guy in front of you to pay attention, while the guy next to you is the one who deals the killing blow. Also, using spears overhand is a bad idea.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Communist Walrus posted:

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Phobophilia posted:

Any thoughts on this Lindybeige video on spears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

The primary message is that in an open field, 2-handed spears are pretty dominant in a variety of situations from mass infantry to small skirmishes, they are superior to sword and shield or big sword or anything else. Spear and shield on the other hand is mediocre in small skirmishes, as soon as someone with a shield can get past their spear they are hosed untilthey pull out their backup sword/axe). Instead, spear and shield excels in mass infantry blocks, where you can force the guy in front of you to pay attention, while the guy next to you is the one who deals the killing blow. Also, using spears overhand is a bad idea.

Pretty sure can I hear HEY GUNS screaming a series of obscenities from thousands of miles away.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Pretty sure can I hear HEY GUNS screaming a series of obscenities from thousands of miles away.

This one is based on actual observed things, not his own half baked ideas, plus its stuff that matt easton did, and Lloyd is just relaying it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
youd think the pikeperson would be thrilled at how well big spears are talked up in that vid

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Is it just confirmation bias or is Chinese Historiography overly fond of naming things in numbered groups? Three Kingdoms, Four Books and Five Classics etc. While every culture will have things named like this I feel like China takes it to a whole new level.

Don't forget the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors, the Five Barbarians, the War of the Eight Princes, and the Rebellion of the Seven States.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
And the Revolts of the Three Guards and Three Feudatories

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's largely because Chinese doesn't have a generic plural. You literally can't say War of the Princes, you have to specify a number. Korean is similar, they do have a generic plural but it's barely used, they mostly do specific numbers. I believe Japanese is the same as Korean but have never studied it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Articles and the distinction between proper nouns and common nouns also don't exist in Chinese. If you were to try to directly translate "The Great Lakes" it comes out "Great Lake" or even "Big Lake" which could refer to any number of things. "Five Great Lakes" is a simple way to establish that you're talking about a region in North America.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

How do you deal with puralisation when the number of the plural subject is unknown in Chinese then?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nothingtoseehere posted:

How do you deal with puralisation when the number of the plural subject is unknown in Chinese then?

Dunno about in Chinese, but I assume it's the same in Japanese where there are specific characters to indicate pluralization. E.g. (in Japanese): 組, 達, 等.
https://jisho.org/ if you want to look those up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Stringent posted:

Dunno about in Chinese, but I assume it's the same in Japanese where there are specific characters to indicate pluralization. E.g. (in Japanese): 組, 達, 等.
https://jisho.org/ if you want to look those up.

Yes, counting classifiers

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Current times started in the 30s and will be called the fascistische period

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Miss Broccoli posted:

Current times started in the 30s 1922 when usurper Mussolini rose to power in the Roman Empire and will be called the fascistische period

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo I forgot how early ya boi was and couldn't be bothered to google for a shitpost but dang he had a whole extra decade and still hosed it up

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gabriele d'annunzio :colbert:

Also 1517 is when the first conquistador (de Córdoba) lands on the mexican mainland, which might be what that poster was referring to. Ponce de León got to Florida first but the mexican business is what really mattered.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

No, the ruling seat of the Western Empire just shifted from Vienna back to Rome.

:colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vienna is obviously in the eastern empire as it's in a country literally called Eastern State

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Was listening to the local Catholic Radio station in the car this morning. The priest was giving a sermon on how the United States are a revolutionary republic whose roots trace back to Henry the 8th's rejection of the Catholic Church. Which means that the American revolution, like all revolutions, ignores the authorities that have been ordained by God and is obviously not a Godly or Christian nation.

It was a little disconcerting to hear monarchism being promoted the day before the presidential election.

I suppose this means that the New Rome is the Old Rome as the Church is the only remaining continuous institution from ancient times.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PeterCat posted:

I suppose this means that the New Rome is the Old Rome as the Church is the only remaining continuous institution from ancient times.

Fornication is the oldest institution.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

Fornication is the oldest institution.

We’ve been doing it as long as we’ve been doing it?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Was listening to the local Catholic Radio station in the car this morning. The priest was giving a sermon on how the United States are a revolutionary republic whose roots trace back to Henry the 8th's rejection of the Catholic Church. Which means that the American revolution, like all revolutions, ignores the authorities that have been ordained by God and is obviously not a Godly or Christian nation.

It was a little disconcerting to hear monarchism being promoted the day before the presidential election.

Last heir to the Roman Empire died in New York in like 2010, I think that means Cuomo is the current Roman Emperor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sullat posted:

Last heir to the Roman Empire died in New York in like 2010, I think that means Cuomo is the current Roman Emperor.

The House of Osman is extant though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The House of Romanov is extant though :confused: