Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's important to remember as well. There's a feeling somewhere between solidarity and schadenfreude in knowing that other people are not ok with this, that you are not alone. For the longest time I was stressed and sad because none of this poo poo made sense to me, but everyone around me seemed fine with it.

Being online and keeping up with this thread, and listening to the pod makes me feel less insane and less alone. I tend mostly to listen to Trashfuture and PiP and occasionally Chapo because it's like relief - it's that feeling of "Yes, this is poo poo, we also feel like poo poo about it, now lets all have a laugh about how poo poo it is."

I don't think I really have the ability to step away and not pay attention - I've tried after the 2019 election and just ended up feeling like I needed to know anyway. I'm not making GBS threads on people who can do that because it's a valuable sanity skill, but I feel like once the door is open to that kind of knowledge there's no closing it without a nagging worry about what's going on back there. I just don't know how to do that without it feeling like denial.

While it is genuinely helpful to know I'm not alone in my misery, especially since my misery comes from my health (and politicians telling me I deserve to die for being unable to work), that line's the last we see of Doctor Weir before he goes all "where we're going, we won't need eyes to see".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
2021 is pretty much a write off, it's probably best to start preparing for that eventuality, even if it's just accepting that fact

Mebh
May 10, 2010

:ohdear:
This is genuinely starting to get terrifying. I was going to go to aldi and get some sparklers to enjoy my American wife's first bonfire night as a bit of fun (because you know, the irony of celebrating a failed attempt to blow up the government right now is not lost on us) and I think I might just stay in our bedroom and hug the cats instead.

In other slightly better news everything this week was looking pretty poo poo as my best mate was hospitalised with pre eclampsia, after forced induce failed she had to have an emergency c-section and it was all a bit touch and go with her husband sleeping in his car in the hospital car park so he was at least nearby while I was looking after their cats and finding it really loving weird to be in another person's house for the first time in 8 months.

Then, everything just went fine. And she's good as is the baby, nobody got covid (yet), and they're coming home today. We cooked all the food that was going to go off in their fridge and portioned it into tupperwear so they have easy low effort meals for a few days and froze the rest then sanitised the hell out of everything we touched.

Maybe I'll get those sparklers after all...

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1322434930673131520
4000 people a day, Christ.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Still shaking my head in disbelief at how badly Starmer screwed up the release of the anti semitism report, lol.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Thanks very much Cosmo’s in Doncaster for letting us sit in and eat, knowing that you were going to Tier 3 at midnight.

Of course if the NHS app actually told you the risks of the area you were *in* and not your own fecking postcode...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just want to make sure I am correct that I think schools staying open during a lockdown is utterly pointless. Is that a correct assumption?

I am just trying to figure out why there are rules where a family cannot visit their grandparents but it is ok to send a child to a school of 1400 people from different families and I cannot think of anything non cynical.

If there is a genuine reason I have completely missed reading or hearing about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I just want to make sure I am correct that I think schools staying open during a lockdown is utterly pointless. Is that a correct assumption?

I am just trying to figure out why there are rules where a family cannot visit their grandparents but it is ok to send a child to a school of 1400 people from different families and I cannot think of anything non cynical.

If there is a genuine reason I have completely missed reading or hearing about it.

Schools contain children while the parents work.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Biggus Dickus posted:

Thanks very much Cosmo’s in Doncaster for letting us sit in and eat, knowing that you were going to Tier 3 at midnight.

Of course if the NHS app actually told you the risks of the area you were *in* and not your own fecking postcode...

The risk was essentially identical to you either way

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I think it's because closed schools mean parents can't go to work which results in damage to the economy. The govt is trying to balance minimising economic damage against an 'acceptable' number of deaths while constantly glancing back at the headlines, not entirely unlike that old dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Convex posted:

I think it's because closed schools mean parents can't go to work which results in damage to the economy. The govt is trying to balance minimising economic damage against an 'acceptable' number of deaths while constantly glancing back at the headlines, not entirely unlike that old dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Except that as has been proved over and over, you can’t protect the economy while people are scared of contracting a potentially deadly virus. The best thing for every country would have been to just take a ‘year off’ as it were and reduce consumption (and thus required workers) to a minimum but alas, capitalism will stand for nothing but ceaseless expansion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The pit of idle wealth never stopped having money shoveled into it, so everything else must keep going to facilitate that.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A small price to pay for me being able to go to Ladbrooks iyam

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Because if we fill their heads with useless nonsense, they will be unable rebell once they realise that the roaming bike gangs will not factor in their knowlege of the Mitochondria in their decision to bash their heads in.

Though to be fair they wouldn't care about any of the useful information schools are heavily discouraged from teaching kids ether but I'd like to think that my snark stands.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

For kids under the age of 11ish they don't seem to be very infectious and the academic and social damage probably means schools should be closing as late as possible. No reason for secondary school kids to be at school though- they are old enough to learn online (although you've got the inequality issues of the poorest not having devices or space.)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

You have to cancel the guardian membership over the phone? Please make this illegal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dugong posted:

You have to cancel the guardian membership over the phone? Please make this illegal.

I've got good news. I will make it illegal to have Guardian membership when I'm God King of the Imperium of Man

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Dugong posted:

Just... stop paying it? And send them an email saying I’ve stopped paying this, please cancel the subscription?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MeinPanzer posted:

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We'd just moved to the UK when we moved into this place and we were desperate to find something. We've written back to the landlord with a reasonable point-by-point response, so we'll see what she says.

It sounds like legally we're lodgers with a licence agreement, but google searchers provide ambiguous results when it comes to our legal rights surrounding a damage deposit. If we didn't have exclusive access to the property, and thus never had an official tenancy, does that mean we have no legal right to challenge her keeping the deposit?

No, because we didn't do a walk through with pictures taken. My wife and I are Canadian and the tenancy laws we've always lived under stipulate that if you don't do a walk through, the landlord can't hold you responsible for wear and tear. Is the legal onus not on the landlord to demonstrate the state of the property before a tenant moves in, for comparative purposes?

I don't think so, since we just gave her a cheque for the amount. Does this give us any legal standing?

For the last year she's kept a bedroom in the house but hasn't been living there and only returned to pick things up or drop them off in storage once every 2-3 months. She hasn't been using the property in any other way but did keep a set of keys.

Try posting in the renting forum over on Moneysavingexpert, some of the posters there really know their poo poo about these kinds of issues. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

VideoGames posted:

Serious answer. I believe the thinking is that schools are technically ‘Covid secure’, so among other measures, surfaces that may carry the virus would be regularly cleaned and disinfected, like walls, door handles, light switches etc. The same is not necessarily true for grandparents or other friends/family members houses.

I’m not saying it’s correct, but that’s one of the main justifications.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No reason for secondary school kids to be at school though- they are old enough to learn online (although you've got the inequality issues of the poorest not having devices or space.)

It’s not just that though. We were looking at the stats for the last lockdown and our school only had 40% take up for online learning. The biggest issue we found is that without rigid timing for a school day the pupils would just not plan their day properly. One pupil tried doing a school day from 9am to 8pm and was surprised to see little to no work completed regularly.

Other issues were lack of study space, sharing the same room with your siblings screaming around the house is not the most productive of environments.

We also had some pupils being used as baby sitters, so they just had no time to work at all.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Catzilla posted:

Serious answer. I believe the thinking is that schools are technically ‘Covid secure’, so among other measures, surfaces that may carry the virus would be regularly cleaned and disinfected, like walls, door handles, light switches etc. The same is not necessarily true for grandparents or other friends/family members houses.

My sister got a message from her academy chain saying make sure the caretakers know they’re the most important people in the school right now, they’re letting us stay open! She wrote back saying should we think about giving them a Christmas bonus then but has not yet had a reply.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Catzilla posted:

I haven't been in many schools since September, but I'd be surprised if the number taking a rigorous approach to infection control and maintaining bubbles is close to 50%.
Schools don't have the manpower to do that and still keep supporting children with their learning. If the choice is between cleaning surfaces touched by someone outside of their bubble, or keeping a child safe if they're run out of class, staff will choose the latter 100% of the time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Catzilla posted:

What are kids doing during breaks though? Are they required to keep a distance while playing outside?

I just can't comprehend how a playground full of kids is any safer than a pub full of big kids.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mebh posted:

:ohdear:
This is genuinely starting to get terrifying. I was going to go to aldi and get some sparklers to enjoy my American wife's first bonfire night as a bit of fun (because you know, the irony of celebrating a failed attempt to blow up the government right now is not lost on us) and I think I might just stay in our bedroom and hug the cats instead.

In other slightly better news everything this week was looking pretty poo poo as my best mate was hospitalised with pre eclampsia, after forced induce failed she had to have an emergency c-section and it was all a bit touch and go with her husband sleeping in his car in the hospital car park so he was at least nearby while I was looking after their cats and finding it really loving weird to be in another person's house for the first time in 8 months.

Then, everything just went fine. And she's good as is the baby, nobody got covid (yet), and they're coming home today. We cooked all the food that was going to go off in their fridge and portioned it into tupperwear so they have easy low effort meals for a few days and froze the rest then sanitised the hell out of everything we touched.

Maybe I'll get those sparklers after all...

Honest question but why is "deaths within 28 days of test" lower than "deaths due to Covid-19" here?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

stev posted:

What are kids doing during breaks though? Are they required to keep a distance while playing outside?

I just can't comprehend how a playground full of kids is any safer than a pub full of big kids.

Being outside vastly reduces your chances of catching the virus, not that you can play outside much in this weather.

Also the surface cleaning stuff us wholly unnecessary at this point - not a single covid vase worldwide has been linked to picking it up from a surface - covid is an airborne disease, it spreads by being indoors without ventilation and when people speak without a mask (hmmm restaurants and bars...)

Schools are tricky though - as pointed out many kids just can't do online learning, but an indoor space where you're being talked at for hours on end is a pretty good way to spread covid.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 31, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Not So Fast posted:

Honest question but why is "deaths within 28 days of test" lower than "deaths due to Covid-19" here?

Some people will probably hang on a bit longer than 28 days of their positive test. By definition it would also include anyone who died of non-Covid related reasons after the test. So if you had a positive test, recovered in 2 weeks and went on a bender and fell out the window, you'll be part of that statistic.

Also it says "COVID-19 oon death certificate". Your death cert comes with 4 blanks

1a, 1b, 1c and 2.

Section 1(a,b,c) is primary cause of death, section 2 is any contributory factors.

So if you caught COVID and died of it, you would have 1a - COVID.

If you caught covid, went to hospital and recovered, but because your nursing home refused to take you back due to a lack of beds and you caught MRSA/a urine infection/fell and hit your head in hospital and died of that, you would have 2. COVID instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1322484349321838592?s=20

Do you think Boris really doesn't know it's Cummie who is leaking? At this point my opinion of Boris is so low that I could believe he's that loving dumb

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1322484349321838592?s=20

Do you think Boris really doesn't know it's Cummie who is leaking? At this point my opinion of Boris is so low that I could believe he's that loving dumb

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Sunak, who has been anti-lockdown from the start, hoping to create a backlash - quite a few papers, especially the Mail, have been very much against another national lockdown.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Sunak, who has been anti-lockdown from the start, hoping to create a backlash - quite a few papers, especially the Mail, have been very much against another national lockdown.

The other option is it's just more dead cat stuff, if it gets people talking about the leak rather than the impending lockdown & 4000 deaths per day baby

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

4000 deaths per day baby

How can we stop this baby? I believe they're usually small and vulnerable and if the baby is definitely responsible for such a high death toll then extreme measures might be justified.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Catzilla posted:

Policy v reality. I can only talk about my school, but I can't see it being vastly different than the average school.

Our policies say all keyboards will be wiped down at the start and end of lesson with the same wet wipe. (Yes the wet wipe will have sat on the side next to the computer and dried out during the lesson). In reality, some teachers enforce this but many don't.

Policies say all students hand sanitise on entering and exiting the classroom. Reality is that certainly doesn't happen.

Never seen any of those shared surfaces being wiped down during the day. Desks get wiped down by cleaners at the end of the day, but at least in the room I stay in after school none of the others do.

Policy says you must wait 48 hours after collecting books to mark them and 48 hours more to hand them back. 72 if they've backed it in plastic. Mixed uptake by teachers.

Policy says no sharing of equipment between students. That's not really followed much, students definitely still lend each other glue.

Policy says no turning and talking to the person next to you. Hah. Yeah right.

stev posted:

They stay outside in the playground. They aren't supposed to be making any contact, but that's very loosely enforced so not always followed. If it's raining, then they go inside and it's just like being in a class except they're not supervised so are closer and noisier.

Main issue with lockdown for schools is access to education & impact on mental wellbeing of many students. The government brought in the legislation that all schools had to have a remote teaching plan by the start of October (cue lots of rushed training about MS Teams/Google Classroom) however as we all know access to technology to access that learning is massively restricted and not something that the government seems to be doing much to improve.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 31, 2020

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Sanford posted:

Just... stop paying it? And send them an email saying I’ve stopped paying this, please cancel the subscription?

Yeah this. It's not like a utility/mobile bill where it shows up on your credit report.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am beginning to think that Keith is Labour's Bojo.

He wants to be PM, he knows he can be PM, he knows how to be PM, he just doesn't know why beyond a desire to "govern sensibly".

Look at his handling of the left, it isn't malice, it's the desire to never cause a single wave ever.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

notaspy posted:

He wants to be PM, he knows he can be PM, he knows how to be PM, he just doesn't know why beyond a desire to "govern sensibly".

Well, does that really describe Johnson except for the first two, and he's probably reconsidering the first one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Look at his handling of the left, it isn't malice, it's the desire to never cause a single wave ever.

Bojo's actually got a personality though. Keith might as well be a reject from the RealDoll factory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

notaspy posted:

I don't think I am seeing what you are seeing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

notaspy posted:

If that last line was true he'd not have suspended Corbyn & removed the whip. He'd not have purged any left voices from his cabinet.

Anyway, here's Peter Oborne, former Spectator Political Editor & writer for among others the Mail & Telegraph, with an extremely reasonable take

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1322463086180212736?s=20

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Schools are tricky though - as pointed out many kids just can't do online learning, but an indoor space where you're being talked at for hours on end is a pretty good way to spread covid.

So are the buses children may use to get to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Bojo's actually got a personality though. Keith might as well be a reject from the RealDoll factory.
Rejected: XL penis module fell off and left to join Change UK.