Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I have a Skoda Octavia wagon, but they don't exist in the US, so no one talks about em. Good car though. But I'll replace it with a Passat Alltrack when the lease runs out early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I have a Golf Sportwagen! Does that count

I also have this Audi, for some reason people hardly talk about audi in here lately I feel like

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i also have the Long Golf but with the plastic to appeal to americans

NoWake you could see that one coming a mile out man

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have a complex relationship with '04 A4 where I loving love driving it but always fear whats gonna break next

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

flightless greeb posted:

people hardly talk about audi in here lately I feel like

well, most people have innies.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
RE: Audi chat. Used ones not far off in price so question is: Golf R versus Audi S3?.........GO!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

I just bought a 2007 Passat Wagon 2.0T 6MT. I've found the previous owner never checked the cam follower, so it has a bad camshaft and fuel pump as the cam follower was worn completely through. Somehow it was running fine with no codes in this condition. Cool!

Oof.

I've got a 2006 Passat 3.6. It's got a litany of problems, mostly electrical, some rust, most annoying.
But the 275hp VR6 is an absolute ripper and it's a blast to drive, so welp.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Mines an ancient squished Golf (Rabbit actually). Front bumper has since been reinstalled

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

meatpimp posted:

Oof.

I've got a 2006 Passat 3.6. It's got a litany of problems, mostly electrical, some rust, most annoying.
But the 275hp VR6 is an absolute ripper and it's a blast to drive, so welp.

Yeah mine's got some pretty decent rust as well. The interior is in really great shape though and my kids love it. I do find the manual extremely smooth and pleasant to drive. Hoping the stick keeps its value above average.

Styles Bitchley posted:

RE: Audi chat. Used ones not far off in price so question is: Golf R versus Audi S3?.........GO!

Manual Golf R, no question. If you're getting an auto and don't care about a hatch, then the Audi.

edit:
My significantly less lovely VAG product:

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 29, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah if I was gonna go for the Audi it'd have to be the RS3 I feel like which sucks that it doesn't come in an MT. For just S3 VS Golf R id want the manual R altho I haven't researched either car bc they're both kind of out of budget for me

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

trashy owl posted:

Is this actually just a Golf Owners Group or something? Nobody with boring Jettas or whatever?

I've got this li'l freak of nature:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I've got this li'l freak of nature:

Hey car cousin! Those are cool as hell and like one of the only VWs I haven't owned (yet). Anything done to it? I'm almost done putting a cheapie turbo on my 8V right now and I'm building a hot rod TDI to put in it eventually

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

flightless greeb posted:

I have a Golf Sportwagen! Does that count

I also have this Audi, for some reason people hardly talk about audi in here lately I feel like

Both really nice looking cars. I love the wheels on both as well.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Ty! The Audi came with those but I chose the VW ones after an agonizing process, probably should gone bigger than 17s but w/e. These are also the first two cars I've ever owned that weren't painted in the German rainbow - I'm going to try to stick to colors on cars from now on! Or maybe white

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

colors are good, i will take a picture of my very stock (with APR tune) blue alltrack at some point

Styles Bitchley posted:

unless you love the four ringed circus and paying more for non-platform parts dunno why you would pick the Audi. real alive adults do not fit in the back of the S3

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

Hey car cousin! Those are cool as hell and like one of the only VWs I haven't owned (yet). Anything done to it? I'm almost done putting a cheapie turbo on my 8V right now and I'm building a hot rod TDI to put in it eventually

I don't have any mods planned but it needs a ton of basic maintenance, at some point I'll be doing at a minimum everything that touches the brakes and wheels, master cylinder, and it desperately needs rings which is doubly infuriating because the previous owner had the head done right before he sold it but explicitly told his engine guy not to do the rings even though it burns all of the oil 3 times over between fuel ups.

1.6 NA diesel, 45HP of pure rage.

Also, maybe I'll fix this someday

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 29, 2020

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Mines an ancient squished Golf (Rabbit actually). Front bumper has since been reinstalled

:swoon: At one point I wanted it to make sense to get a ~2002 Saab 9-3 cause I love how those kind of body styles look.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
In further adventures with my GTI S, something finally came I have been looking forward to. Since I wanted the cloth seats not only did I have to give up the good audio, but I had to give up the good lights.

Look at this whack halogen garbage they give you:

They don't even work that good at night, so I am looking forward to being able to put some good lights on my car:

It's all plug and play. I got them from Ed Chu out of BEC in Canada. Can't wait to get them on the car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GabbiLB posted:

In further adventures with my GTI S, something finally came I have been looking forward to. Since I wanted the cloth seats not only did I have to give up the good audio, but I had to give up the good lights.

They don't even work that good at night, so I am looking forward to being able to put some good lights on my car:

It's all plug and play. I got them from Ed Chu out of BEC in Canada. Can't wait to get them on the car.

I've had cars with a variety of seats including the pretty unsupportive leather seats in the mk5 GTI I currently drive, coming from actual bolstered seats in a 98 STI:

And I don't think I'd downgrade the rest of the car just to get the cloth seats. Wouldn't you rather just have the proper headlights and better interior, audio, etc? Then just buy some seats you like?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't have any mods planned but it needs a ton of basic maintenance, at some point I'll be doing at a minimum everything that touches the brakes and wheels, master cylinder, and it desperately needs rings which is doubly infuriating because the previous owner had the head done right before he sold it but explicitly told his engine guy not to do the rings even though it burns all of the oil 3 times over between fuel ups.

1.6 NA diesel, 45HP of pure rage.

Aolso, maybe I'll fix this someday

Oh it's a diesel that's even better. Not for anything besides fuel economy but I'm a diesel head so I like it. If I ever do get one it would get a TDI swap as well.

I just fixed my shifter with the USRT kit, new shift rod ball and the rod bushing underneath and its great now, highly recommended.

You could do the rings in chassis by just pulling the head and pushing the pistons up through the top to slam the rings on. Only way that wouldn't work is if there is a ring ridge but if it's been semi maintained it might be ok. My engine has somewhere around 300k and no ridge when I pulled the head for a rebuild. You could do the connecting rod bearings too when you have the big ends apart. Most likely they are probably good though with the low power and again if it had some maintenance done generally on time over the years.

The other day my great aunt (in her 80s) was telling me she saw a caddy and had never seen one before and she loved it, haha

teh_Broseph posted:

:swoon: At one point I wanted it to make sense to get a ~2002 Saab 9-3 cause I love how those kind of body styles look.

It's the best body style ever to me, Deloreans, Lotus and the Izusu Impulse all look like it. I think Lotus was first and the designers for Delorean were inspired by it then VW just copied I'm assuming, haha. Not sure where the Impulse fits in. 9-3s look great too so it makes sense. I used to know all about the Scirocco design but I'm drawing a blank now

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 29, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

I've had cars with a variety of seats including the pretty unsupportive leather seats in the mk5 GTI I currently drive, coming from actual bolstered seats in a 98 STI:

And I don't think I'd downgrade the rest of the car just to get the cloth seats. Wouldn't you rather just have the proper headlights and better interior, audio, etc? Then just buy some seats you like?
Also for what its worth, the SE comes with adaptive lighting so it stays level and moves with turns, however the whole package is a large premium over the S, but it also includes things like push to start, proximity locks, and sunroof (which some people hate it seems).

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I really didn't want or need any of the other stuff in the SE trim. Sadly VW doesn't offer the lighting package separate anymore so I have to do it myself. It's not really that much of a hassle considering I usually end up doing audio in every car I own, so I saw that one coming.

edit: I don't want to seem like I was unhappy with the car. I really love it as is besides the 2 things I mentioned. Now that I have them worked out the car is exactly what I wanted.

VV Yeah I haven't owned a car with more than 6 speakers so I don't know much about the more premium setups. I would hope for the money you pay they wouldn't need to be fiddled with.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 29, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GabbiLB posted:

I really didn't want or need any of the other stuff in the SE trim. Sadly VW doesn't offer the lighting package separate anymore so I have to do it myself. It's not really that much of a hassle considering I usually end up doing audio in every car I own, so I saw that one coming.

edit: I don't want to seem like I was unhappy with the car. I really love it as is besides the 2 things I mentioned. Now that I have them worked out the car is exactly what I wanted.

That's awesome. I do my own audio too but only for head units and subwoofers. I have to imagine it's a nightmare trying to replace the 10+ speakers in modern cars and dealing with all the amps and preamps and crossovers in different areas of the car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The sport trim really was a great thing. Diff, PP brakes, cloth seats, lighting package. It was basically exactly what I wanted.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

teh_Broseph posted:

I wonder what Saabs would be like in 2020 if they were still in production.

I had a 2003 9-3 that was definitely a bit more mainstream than the >2002 but it was still plenty odd and great to drive. Weirdest/coolest cup holder I've ever seen and a HUD on an entry level luxury sedan from 2002? Wacky.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I have BECs in my Sportwagen I posted earlier too since I also went with the S trim. I had to to in order to avoid the sunroof and get the transmission and engine combo I wanted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

I have BECs in my Sportwagen I posted earlier too since I also went with the S trim. I had to to in order to avoid the sunroof and get the transmission and engine combo I wanted.

ya same on the S trim, i aint hosed with the lights yet though. are they worth it?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I absolutely love them. I've had them since March or so? I really like the dynamic turn signal and I just hate how little light halogens throw so having HIDs is really nice. Compared to the factory HIDs in my Audi they do look a little aftermarket - the boundary between light and dark in the light they Project is really sharp unlike a factory set up and, unlike more modern LED set ups the DRL/turn signals are visibly made up of a bunch of individual lights when viewed up close.

Still overall the effect is very good imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ya the HIDeez is one thing I miss from the FoST. maybe I'll get them as a self christmas present. i hardly drive at night though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GabbiLB posted:

Are those for a mk7.5? How much do they run? I have a base '18 and want better lighting. I'm in Canada, where the fancy diff is standard, and there's only 2 trims - if I wanted the lights I was stuck with nav, leather sunroof, etc. I would have liked the push button start too, but it was an extra $5K for all of it and just wasn't worth it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

TrueChaos posted:

Are those for a mk7.5? How much do they run? I have a base '18 and want better lighting. I'm in Canada, where the fancy diff is standard, and there's only 2 trims - if I wanted the lights I was stuck with nav, leather sunroof, etc. I would have liked the push button start too, but it was an extra $5K for all of it and just wasn't worth it.

https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2018-vw-gti-replica-hid-led-headlights?variant=12176416178290

I think he is only able to produce 10-15 sets a month. I ordered mine the end of September and he had it shipped about 10 days ago.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I picked up a 2019 GLI 35th Anniversary edition back in June. I somehow have been getting the same kind of gas mileage as I was in my FiST. It's my first time out of a hatchback in about a decade.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

GabbiLB posted:

https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2018-vw-gti-replica-hid-led-headlights?variant=12176416178290

I think he is only able to produce 10-15 sets a month. I ordered mine the end of September and he had it shipped about 10 days ago.

Cool, thanks for the link! You'll have to post pics once installed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Add gull wing doors and this is basically a DeLorean.

Flux capacitor optional.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

People do ask me if it's the car from back to the Future every once in a while. If I ever see a Delorean out driving I want to ask them if it's a Scirocco. One guy asked me if it was the car from James Bond and I didn't know what he was thinking of until I saw the lotus that turned into a submarine. I always say yes to the bttf people

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Hello VW/Audi Exorcism Thread. I hope no exorcisms will be needed here.

I am looking at buying a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Variant Comfortline 1,6 TDI 77 with automatic gearshift. It has about 174000km behind it and looks ok in the pictures I've seen so far, passed all inspections three months ago. I will inspect the maintenance documents with a careful eye before I decide one way or another. The climate I would be driving in is Northern European, mostly short distances, in urban areas. I expect that I will not be driving huge numbers of kilometers per year.

In the US these cars would go by the name VW Jetta SportWagen.

Anyone with a similar car? What am I getting myself into? I am not much of a car person, and have two left hands. I would rather just drive this thing around with my family safely in the back and not find myself having to fix some even (minor) catastrophic breakdown, because I do not trust myself in that regard. I am spending what I am comfortable with when buying the car, so the price is acceptable. I do not know what to expect from a Volkswagen, having only driven one rental VW before. I have read some good things about Golfs but what do I know?

There is a tiny spot of rust on a door and some pebble marks on the windscreen. Other than that the dealership is claiming it is ok throughout.

What to do, VW thread, what to do? Buy perhaps, or walk away and keep looking? I like the look of the car, seems like the sort of practical family car I would see myself driving. Not particularly familiar with Diesels. Any tips? Warnings? Do's or Don'ts? Thanks for any opinions.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

silly question:

I have a 2008 mk5 Rabbit and I kinda want amber rear turn signals for it. I assume I can just drop the euro market part in, where do I get them?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

minivanmegafun posted:

silly question:

I have a 2008 mk5 Rabbit and I kinda want amber rear turn signals for it. I assume I can just drop the euro market part in, where do I get them?

I've bought lighting stuff from ECS Tuning.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.5/Lighting/Tail_Lights/

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I replaced the stock mirrors on my '85 Vanagon Westfalia today. The upgrades are the "light truck" mirrors that appeared on some Euro T3s (apparently).

Anyway the stock mirrors are really bad and on my last road trip the passenger side was useless and the driver's side kept getting folded by the wind, so I figured it was time to replace them.

Stock mirrors. Very sad. Tragic, even.

When I went to remove the stock screws I found that the heads on the passenger side were fairly mangled. I slotted the one very bad screw with a Dremel and was victorious.

They required drilling machine screws into the top of the door frame. It was a little nerve wracking but with a punch and some careful drilling, it was okay. Naturally, I biffed the last screw and the bit wandered onto the top plate. Mazel tov!

Visibility is much better, they're definitely much sturdier. Very happy with the upgrade.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess you don't get much rain or salt there. In Finland those drilling screws would be gone after one winter.