Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-could-launch-on-november-17th

3060ti launches in two weeks apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nvidia should release 1,000 distinct Ampere models, one for each card in existence.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Still in the queue for my 3080 tuf. I can check my status and see myself slowly climbing but its still far off. I'll hold out because a refund will just make acquiring a card even harder.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bespoke artisanal graphics cards.

Seriously though a 3060Ti on Nov 17 for less than 400 bucks? I was planning on getting a 2060 Super in December but if a 3060Ti is available by then I might as well get that instead.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MeruFM posted:

It's weird that it's doing worse at 4k. I thought the extra memory should make it better.

I think it'll be heavily driver-dependent on it being able to leverage the 128MB cache for anything useful; otherwise it's a 16GB card with pretty lovely actual memory bandwidth. So in that sense it wouldn't surprise me to see some 4k games where the drivers / game arch doesn't play well and you get poor results, and other games where you get very good results.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Lets go low profile 3050ti with nvenc :clint:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Wonder how fast a 3060ti is, if it's around 1080ti performance that would be amazing. 1440p gaming for the masses, with some somewhat-recent games playable at 4K on everybody's shiny new TVs.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Shame it's 3xDP 1xHDMI

Watercooling allows true single slot design, so it's actually a plus for a decent number of people. This allows LinusTechTips to put 7 in a single motherboard and get 5M views

You can always get a TUF/Strix and put an EK block on it for two slot 2xHDMI

On the other hand, shame it's 2x8pin. Weird choice given the extra power you can dissipate with water

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

4k is misleading yadda yadda, but 4k is also easier to type/say/remember than 2160p so I'm OK with 4k.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
oh wow the queue to my gigabyte 3080 gaming oc has moved along quite fast, 53 in line when I placed my order, only 20 in line just a couple of days later! might get it weeks earlier than I expected at this rate!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Inept posted:

4k is misleading yadda yadda, but 4k is also easier to type/say/remember than 2160p so I'm OK with 4k.

Yeah I'm ok with it and its also 4x the resolution of 1080p so I'll give it a pass as being easier to explain for consumers

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as 4K, is in fact, 4K UHD, or as I've recently taken to calling it, 4K 2160p. 4K is not a resolution unto itself, but rather another system of a fully defined cinema resolution standard created by the Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) comprising a full complement of resolutions defined as Digital Cinema System Specification.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Just call it 2M, 4M and 8M how hard could it be :banjo:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

BurritoJustice posted:

Watercooling allows true single slot design, so it's actually a plus for a decent number of people. This allows LinusTechTips to put 7 in a single motherboard and get 5M views

You can always get a TUF/Strix and put an EK block on it for two slot 2xHDMI

On the other hand, shame it's 2x8pin. Weird choice given the extra power you can dissipate with water

Yeah, I know. I do plan on putting a block on a 2 slot card. I would have prefered 2 HDMI/2 DP

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just do ppi

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as 4K, is in fact, 4K UHD, or as I've recently taken to calling it, 4K 2160p. 4K is not a resolution unto itself, but rather another system of a fully defined cinema resolution standard created by the Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) comprising a full complement of resolutions defined as Digital Cinema System Specification.

I'm gonna call it 3.8k40 cos it's right there, 3840x2160

I have already made a facebook page peddling this to all the casuals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
This dumb argument, plus the fact that screens can have different aspect ratios, is why we should only be talking in terms of megapixels

1080p is 2mp
1440p is 3.7mp
1440p ultrawide is 5mp
4k is 8.3mp
8k is 33mp

Etc

It gives the most useful information for comparing performance and it's consistent regardless of the screen design

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

look at me not being interested.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Literally doing the star citizen thing of releasing more poo poo that no one can get lol

Related note, my 3080 is processed at my local mail facility and I presume out for delivery on Monday

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I guess the regular non-Ti 3060 is going to be GA106?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Mindblast posted:

Still in the queue for my 3080 tuf. I can check my status and see myself slowly climbing but its still far off. I'll hold out because a refund will just make acquiring a card even harder.

The vendor I ordered my non-OC 3080 TUF doesn't even give any information about queue status. All I can do is wait and hope that I'll get the card eventually :smith:

(or try to get a 6800XT when they launch, but I have a feeling it'll be a similar shitshow)

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bespoke artisanal graphics cards.

Seriously though a 3060Ti on Nov 17 for less than 400 bucks? I was planning on getting a 2060 Super in December but if a 3060Ti is available by then I might as well get that instead.

Bold of you to assume they’ll have enough inventory for you to order one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The 2060S? That is bold, considering that they're already almost completely gone. It's probably actually more realistic to try to get a 3060Ti at a reasonable price than a 2060S at a reasonable price.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat, my MSI 3070 really doesn't like my LG B9 TV. If I enable HDR then the display turns on and off constantly and I keep getting "no signal". I'm using an HDMI 2.1 cable. Dunno what to do.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

fuf posted:

drat, my MSI 3070 really doesn't like my LG B9 TV. If I enable HDR then the display turns on and off constantly and I keep getting "no signal". I'm using an HDMI 2.1 cable. Dunno what to do.

Tried running with gsync disabled? That can also cause issues, and the cable isn't overly long?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fuf posted:

Might be time to see how good their customer support people are.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bus hustler posted:

Lets go low profile 3050ti with nvenc :clint:

Yeah let's see a low-profile card that can trace rays

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

fuf posted:

TV firmware update maybe?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MeruFM posted:

Those numbers seem about right. 6800XT is even-ish with the 3080 without some tech for $50 less. It probably isn't worth it unless you pair it with Zen 3 for the unified goodies.

It's weird that it's doing worse at 4k. I thought the extra memory should make it better.

geforce has higher memory bandwidth with gddr6x vs gddr6 on a radeon

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Angry-Alphs posted:

Tried running with gsync disabled? That can also cause issues, and the cable isn't overly long?

oh hey I think that worked, thanks.

Space Racist posted:

TV firmware update maybe?

I don't think the new update has rolled out to me yet. Although I can select 120hz in the nvidia control panel (but only under PC resolutions) so maybe it has...

I know you can request it somehow but if it's working ok for now then I'll just wait.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

sauer kraut posted:

Please check several reviews before you buy one of the Gigabyte models flooding the market atm.
The 3070 one is loud according to Computerbase, noticeably worse than the FE model. Asus TUF is the best overall model again, they did a great job this time around.

Got a link? I couldn't find it on Computerbase. At least one other article I found called the base model "quiet".

I didn't get the base model, I got the OC'd one which has a different cooler. It's also going to be inside a BeQuiet! case, and also will be resold instantly as soon as I decide which 3080/90 I want and have one in hand. But, I will be happy to post db comparisons between this and my LOLTAC 1080 GTX, I have at least two dB meters around because I am a tinnitus sufferer who also has loud hobbies and dabbles with electric guitars.

Also, as someone with tinnitus -- fan noise doesn't faze me much, especially inside a BeQuiet! case. Coil whine, on the other hand..

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 31, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

fuf posted:

This specific problem is almost always due to having a bad cable. The fact that it says HDMI 2.1 is meaningless, as there is no certification process whatsoever (yet, supposedly that's coming at some point)

I had good luck with this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31231

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Got a link? I couldn't find it on Computerbase. At least one other article I found called the base model "quiet".

I didn't get the base model, I got the OC'd one which has a different cooler. It's also going to be inside a BeQuiet! case, and also will be resold instantly as soon as I decide which 3080/90 I want and have one in hand. But, I will be happy to post db comparisons between this and my LOLTAC 1080 GTX, I have at least two dB meters around because I am a tinnitus sufferer who also has loud hobbies and dabbles with electric guitars.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-10/asus-gigabyte-msi-geforce-rtx-3070-custom-test/2/#diagramm-lautstaerke-beim-spielen

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Taima posted:

This specific problem is almost always due to having a bad cable. The fact that it says HDMI 2.1 is meaningless, as there is no certification process whatsoever (yet, supposedly that's coming at some point)

I had good luck with this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31231

drat. This is the one I got:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WN8C7XV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

lucked out and got myself a 3080 strix last night on amazon in the middle of the night

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Thanks.

I agree that shows the Gigabyte to be the loudest, I think being concerned about the numbers shown in that specific article isn't very reasonable. We are talking about a 4db difference, and the high reading is sub 45db.

For comparison, here is a dB meter next to my Zotac 1080GTX, with a 3dmark stress test running, and with the case opened vs closed:

The takeaway there is that if the Gigabyte is as loud as is it in that article it's going to be quieter than the ambient noise from beQuiet! fans. At 41.5db, assuming you're doing absolutely nothing to mitigate the sound, then you're in "quiet office" territory:

As a complete noise freak who carries a dB meter on a somewhat regular basis, nothing about this is vaguely concerning. I look forward to seeing what the reality is.

If you're hellbent on literally not being able to tell there's a PC running in your room, none of these cards will achieve that, though I can tell you how you can get pretty close with some cardboard boxes and about $100 in amazon spending. (I built a noise isolation chamber for an ethanol closed loop that runs best when ambient pressure is negative, the whole thing makes 34 dB, and the same idea would work fine for a PC. I basically took these plans and then modified them to include a 34 db 4" exhaust fan to keep the whole box at negative pressure: https://soundproofcentral.com/soundproof-cardboard-box/)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 31, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

lucked out and got myself a 3080 strix last night on amazon in the middle of the night
I was on time for the 3070 launch the other day and I didn't get anything. Newegg was sold out within a couple of minutes, and Best Buy kept playing checkout games with me until it just said 'sold out'

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Looks like you're in the UK? I have heard good things about Club3D cables there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Didn't see my discord go off last night. Maybe there is a new better discord to join? Mine just gives me false positives for newegg and crappy zotac store restocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Unfortunately that will definitely not fit in the Ncase.

I went ahead and cancelled. It was gonna be more hassle than it’s worth and no one here wants one. I’m a 9/16 on the EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra waiting list with only 3 hours to go, so I’ll just wait for my turn.

I’ll still try to purchase other cards. Any desirable card I get after that will go to friends or to people in this thread.