Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I just want all the art from the credits to hang up in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Vinylshadow posted:

I'd completely forgotten about Temuera's casting, so I was watching the episode thinking "Ah, so they're using this to finally tell us Boba's dead and gone"

And then the end of the episode happened

The remake of the Tatooine KOTOR mission was an interesting choice

Raises questions though, it seems like if he wanted his armour back from Cobb he could have got it, plus if he's alive how did he get seperate from it?

And given I think at least three characters are known to be alive that look exactly like Temuera there's still an element of surprise. Logically the character at the end of the so, being completely bald, looks like Gregor, I believe the only one of the post-CW clone characters to due.

Ringo Star Get posted:

So much this, it's such a great look into the craft of the show. As if the themetune and guest stars under heavy prophetics didn't justify watching the credits already.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ringo Star Get posted:

Season One concept art album
Art and Imagery Collector's Edition vol 1

We'll likely have something similar once the season ends

BizarroAzrael posted:

Raises questions though, it seems like if he wanted his armour back from Cobb he could have got it, plus if he's alive how did he get seperate from it?

And given I think at least three characters are known to be alive that look exactly like Temuera there's still an element of surprise. Logically the character at the end of the so, being completely bald, looks like Gregor, I believe the only one of the post-CW clone characters to due.

I guess the Sarlacc spat him out a few years after trying to digest him, and he was robbed while he was unconscious
He might also not feel a connection to the armor like other Mandos, if you want to take the "not an actual Mando" at face value

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Mando's set like 30 years after Mandalore got the poo poo kicked out of it by the Empire and its people scattered to the galactic winds. That hadn't happened yet in Clone Wars and still relatively fresh by the time of Rebels. So I'm guessing the "don't take the helmet off" thing is relatively recent development and in response to the whole Mandalorian diaspora thing.

This is my reading of it, as well--the Empire deciding that Mandalore is too much trouble to keep around and just straight-up genociding them lead to the adoption of extreme level 9000 secrecy.

Come to think of it, since Mandalore was mostly irradiated wasteland with domed cities already, wiping it out wouldn't have been that tall an order.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly the Mando heritage thing has never really meant much for Boba Fett. It was more Jango's deal and as far as that's concerned the True Mandalorians died with him given how Death Watch and the Supercommandos made up the bulk of militant Mandos in the Clone Wars.

Even the old canon Boba Fett never really cared much for Mandalore and only became the big boss because it was forced on him and most of his Mando contacts argued he was a pretty poo poo leader. He's always been a bounty hunter first and foremost, trying to thrust the crusading warrior mercenary code onto him has been a side note forever.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I liked that Boba Fett is of a somewhat average height, and Timothy Olyphant's pretty tall, so the armor is only barely big enough to cover his sternum.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I thought Jango and by extension, Boba, weren't actually Mandalorians at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Depends on who you ask, both in universe and the real world. Even the Mandalorians on the whole can't decide who is and isn't legit. Almec is the only guy in the canon who refutes Jango's heritage but he's also a death watch sympathizer covering his rear end to try and keep their planned takeover under wraps.

And really, it doesn't matter if the Fetts are Mando or not, they're better known as bounty hunters anyhow.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 31, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vinylshadow posted:

Season One concept art album
Art and Imagery Collector's Edition vol 1

We'll likely have something similar once the season ends

I guess the Sarlacc spat him out a few years after trying to digest him, and he was robbed while he was unconscious
He might also not feel a connection to the armor like other Mandos, if you want to take the "not an actual Mando" at face value

Honestly i always thought Din's people are basically trying to preserve a weeb version of Mandalorian culture and the actual mandalorians probably don't care about it quite as much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The singular complaint I have about the show is that the main characters are a man who can't show his face and a puppet, so a lot of the reaction shots have to go to side characters and a lot of the emotional moments don't quite land.

Making it so Mando won't remove his helmet was an odd choice really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How do you feel about people reacting to R2D2?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It still bothers me he has a mustache under there.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PriorMarcus posted:

The singular complaint I have about the show is that the main characters are a man who can't show his face and a puppet, so a lot of the reaction shots have to go to side characters and a lot of the emotional moments don't quite land.

Counterpoint: It's great and allows the puppet's expressions to be somehow more poignant. The side characters surrounding Din are now kind of the focal point of the series which lets the show runners keep it fresh since Din is kind of a blank-ish slate that people can paint whatever feelings they want onto. It's kind of brilliant really. The core duo is a stoic badass and a more or less innocent child. Everything happening around them is what colors the world and how they're moving through it but that core dynamic stays true no matter what happens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll take a hundred mandos acting through minimalist body language before I sit through another game of thrones where people speak in monotone to show how grown up and mature they are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Will disagree wholeheartedly, it’s a huge strength of the show and refreshingly different.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

in case anyone wants an avatar

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PriorMarcus posted:

True, but Episode 4 really showcased how that could be used brilliantly. It just takes some good direction.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

thrawn527 posted:

Christopher Nolan famously did it for The Dark Knight for the opening bank robbery scene, and a few other scenes if I remember correctly. Pretty sure he did it in Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar, too.

Grand Budapest Hotel changes aspect ratio all over the place in fun ways, changing with the decade to reflect how things were filmed at that time, but I'll never recommend people watch that movie, because the aspect ratio changes are the only things I liked about it. But I do mean it does it well, focusing on the vertical more for less wide ratios. Still though, ugh that movie.

The theatrical release of Galaxy Quest had the opening 'show within a show' scene in TV 4:3 ratio, 'real life' in 1.85:1 'standard widescreen' ratio, and 2.35:1 'cinematic widescreen' ratio when they arrive on the bridge of the ship, as I recall. The DVD omitted one of those AR changes, and I remember it being a point of contention at the time, when DVD fans felt like second-class citizens, and were always harping about 'day and date' releases alongside VHS and bitching about needing to buy the Japanese LD of Phantom Menace. Oh, and eternal flame wars about DD vs DTS because DTS usually had over-cooked sound mixes compared to DD.

Back on topic: were the doggies the Tuskens had supposed to be vornskyrs from the original Zahn novels?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah; they're the same doggos they had in AotC. Anakin kills a couple.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll take a hundred mandos acting through minimalist body language before I sit through another game of thrones where people speak in monotone to show how grown up and mature they are.

GoT character: Oh you asked me a simple question? Let me answer with a long winded anecdote like real people totally do.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

The implication is that the group Din belongs to is hyper fundamentalist, what with the "never remove your helmet" rule and the "this is the way" call and response.

This. I always thought the idea is that Din is like "ultra-orthodox Mandalorian," where Clan Wren is more like "observant Mandalorian."

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Tom Tucker posted:

Yes the poster is saying it could have used some set up earlier in the episode since it was so important in the end. I had no idea what he was using so just assumed some cool Magical Mandalorian Armor Nonsense which is fine by me.

Edit: a good example is the micro missiles (I forget the cool name) - they don’t set them up from last season but when e turns them on Baby Yoda’s reaction tells us what is up.

You mean the Whistling Birds? They were introduced and featured heavily in the third episode last season.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Counterpoint: It's great and allows the puppet's expressions to be somehow more poignant. The side characters surrounding Din are now kind of the focal point of the series which lets the show runners keep it fresh since Din is kind of a blank-ish slate that people can paint whatever feelings they want onto. It's kind of brilliant really. The core duo is a stoic badass and a more or less innocent child. Everything happening around them is what colors the world and how they're moving through it but that core dynamic stays true no matter what happens.

It's a space-western. Din is literally the Man With No Name who blows into town, fixes a problem, and leaves. The 80s Incredible Hulk show was the same concept. Conversing with the 'natives' through sign language, brokering an uneasy peace between the 'local savages' and the 'poor townsfolk in a barely-hanging-on-mining-town' is classic. Hell, Cara Dune is literally the 'retired soldier from the Civil War who doesn't know how to do anything but fight.'

I once heard somebody describe The Mandalorian as good because, much like the original Star Wars, it's taking something else and putting a Star Wars spin on it, while the three sequel movies are bad, because they're taking Star Wars, and trying to put a Star Wars spin on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah except only one of the ST is actively bad.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Preemptive can we please not have sequel chat in the Mandalorian thread again?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thundercracker posted:

GoT character: Oh you asked me a simple question? Let me answer with a long winded anecdote like real people totally do.

Getting raped by Ramsay made me into the woman I am today!

Theres a lot to hate in season 8 but that has to be up there as one of if not the worst parts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Honestly i always thought Din's people are basically trying to preserve a weeb version of Mandalorian culture and the actual mandalorians probably don't care about it quite as much.

So Din is like Worf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So Din is like Worf

If Worf ever met a convent of likeminded Klingon weebs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So Din is like Worf

Is Boba Fett Martok?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Its Rinaldo posted:

Is Boba Fett Martok?

We'll have to see his drinking habits in upcoming episodes before we can say yes or no.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Worf ever met a convent of likeminded Klingon weebs.

The guys on that one planet with the Kahless clone?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If the Mando fought Worf, the universe would collapse because how could Mando dunk on Worf to show that he's a badass, but how would he do that if his flamethrower can't work against Worf?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Currently, we don't know. In the original canon Jango was a proper adopted Mandalorian who had been fighting with them for years before becoming a bounty hunter, but the new canon has said nothing about his backstory except Almec (who was the Prime Minister of Mandalore and thus has some clout) saying he was just a bounty hunter who stole some armor. It hasn't been revealed yet if this is true or if he really was a Mandalorian of a sect that broke off from the rest and he's been un-personed by the Mandalorian government.

The exact truth may or may not come out during this show because I could see it being a big part of what happens when Boba Fett inevitably tries to take his armor back. If Din Djarin knows Jango really was a fraud, then his son is an imposter just the same and doesn't deserve the armor even if it's "his". If Jango was a true Mandalorian who's just the subject of a schism, then it becomes more complicated.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

PriorMarcus posted:

A good chunk of audience empathising with characters is based on the circumstance and the audience projecting it rather than the facial expression itself so it's not too bad for me.

The scene in epsiode 3 where he's deciding whether to go back for the kid was clear enough for me without seeing his face.

And lol, looking for gifs of the Kuleshov effect, one of the first images was from the Mandalorian

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

This show getting into schisms and religious differences would detract so much from what makes it good that i assume they’ll just make it as simple as possible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fett being Mando or not is an answer to a question that is really irrelevant. Its basically "we want this cool character to be part of this cool group so he can he double cool!" that's what the debate abiut Mandalorian heritage has always been for Boba.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fett being Mando or not is an answer to a question that is really irrelevant. Its basically "we want this cool character to be part of this cool group so he can he double cool!" that's what the debate abiut Mandalorian heritage has always been for Boba.

It's irrelevant until you try to write a plot that may require you to go back and use stuff already established in the canon to figure out how characters will react and get a good resolution. Din Djarin being violently protective of Mandalorian armor and Boba Fett possibly being the son of an impersonator who's willing to kill to get his armor back from him is ripe with conflict.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's irrelevant until you try to write a plot that may require you to go back and use stuff already established in the canon to figure out how characters will react and get a good resolution. Din Djarin being violently protective of Mandalorian armor and Boba Fett possibly being the son of an impersonator who's willing to kill to get his armor back from him is ripe with conflict.

I just don't think they need to do more with Fett. He's alive, he's been living on Tatooine since escaping the Sarlacc and he might as well have moved on with his life for all we know. I'd be perfectly happy if that stinger was the last we see of him. Just an acknowledgment of a thing that happened and then back to the daily adventures of baby yoda and buckethead.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Isn't Sabine Wren in this season? I feel like there's no way to avoid Mandolaorian politics if "they" show up. Maybe it all started over a trade embargo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just don't think they need to do more with Fett. He's alive, he's been living on Tatooine since escaping the Sarlacc and he might as well have moved on with his life for all we know. I'd be perfectly happy if that stinger was the last we see of him. Just an acknowledgment of a thing that happened and then back to the daily adventures of baby yoda and buckethead.

They don't need to, but, I think Fett (and maybe throw in Sabine too) could make a really cool ideological conflict episode between Mandalorians.