Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Verman posted:

I typically don't enjoy repeating a hike, especially in such a short amount of time, but this is so beautiful that it just made sense.

It's weird isn't it? Like a lot of terrain looks similar in the mountains but it's never exactly the same and there's something about repeating a hike that makes it more of a drudge than anything else. I've done dozens and dozens of mountains and only a very small number of them did I do twice. I know lots of people can do the same hike many times over but I need it to be new to keep me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

I stumbled on Lamoille Canyon when I was randomly clicking around on google maps a ways back and goddamn I gotta get there. Based on the clothing of the people that show up in the street view it's not very remote or very difficult but dang it is pretty.

The whole Ruby range looks like a heap of fun.

Great Basin and Lehman Caves are worth checking out. The Ruby’s are where my father and I hunted and camped, they are awesome.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd hardly call this "hiking" because it was such a perfectly packed dirt path, or even lots of pavement for parts of it, but I did a ~14 mile Niagara River gorge trail today that I've never done before.

It's so unfortunate the Canadian side is such a concrete & steel touristy hellscape. The American side is also pretty developed, but it's nowhere near as bad as across the border.

I've done the first mile of this trail many times, and then you descend down into the gorge along the river but then you're limited to only about a mile in either direction and then exit back up the gorge. This just stretches all along the river to the Falls. Pretty neat to get a different view of it all for a change.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went to an even more remote location in Nevada and found a ghost town on my way up to Spruce mountain

The views were pretty good

The benchmark was dated from 1929

Some wild horses checking me out

Found a tire and rolled it back to my truck for proper disposal

All in all it was about 5.25 miles and 3000 feet of climbing one way. Since this was Saturday I was going to plan another hike on Sunday. My original plan of hiking Cascade Mountain in the Wasatch seemed kinda ehhhh knowing that there was tons of stuff out west. I drove past the Ruby Mountains on my way home and looked at some information for them but could hardly find anything for some of their named peaks. There was one called Smith Peak that seemed like it didn't exist outside of maps. I ended up on some website called Peakvisor which essentially gives a 3D panorama of all the terrain from whatever summit you might be on. While playing around with it I could see the ultra prominent peaks highlighted in red. I had done Pilot Peak, Ibapah Peak, and while looking for Wheeler Peak I found another one not too far away called North Schell Peak. It was a super easy climb even though I parked hella far away to try and make things harder for myself. I continued down its southern ridge for a while before doing a super lovely descent into a basin

In 1944 some people were fighting the Nazis, but other people were placing benchmarks on mountains

The descent into the basin

It was lovely and when I say lovely I mean loving lovely. Every step was practically a rock slide. Tons of rocks ended up in my shoes and I couldn't empty them because it would immediately happen again. It was an awful time.

It was 10 miles and around 5200 feet of climbing when I made my descent, so probably another 5 miles back to my car. A bit more daylight, more food, and more water and I would have kept going down the ridge for a while

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just got back from a two-week backpacking trip through Colorado and Utah. Stayed at the Great Sand Dunes, Blue Lakes, and Island/Needles districts in Canyonlands. We brought/cooked all of our food, lived out of a tent the entire time, and didn't explore any of the cool towns along the way (because COVID). I've never been so dirty for so long.

We took a wrong turn in Cortez and ended up outside the Osprey HQ, which I had no idea was there. Shout out to my new Osprey Exos, which held up great the entire time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate how public land access works in this country.

https://www.thearmchairexplorer.com/arizona/cottonwood_point_wilderness.php

quote:

Be aware that significant amounts of the property abutting Cottonwood Point Wilderness is private property and access is not allowed without getting permission first. That permission might be hard to obtain as a large portion of the private land to the south and west of the wilderness area is owned by members of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, an increasingly famous group of Mormon polygamists who do everything they can to discourage non-sect-members from visiting or spending time in the area.

:mad:

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Wow, those dunes are unreal!

Does anyone have good recommendations for hiking-focused plus-size women's boxer briefs? My darling butch wife wears men's cut underwear, but a lot of the ones she's purchased are cut for men's body shapes (too narrow in the thigh), don't come in the right size, and/or aren't designed to wick moisture for exercise. She's tried MeUndies, Pair of Thieves, Woxer, and the Hanes workout type. Pls help!!!!!!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Both me and my fiancée love our Ex Officio’s. They’re super breathable and durable, and honestly the comfiest undies we’ve ever worn. I have 10+ pairs at this point. Looks like they’re having a sale on their website right now, too; I’m not sure about sizing availability right now, but worth a look!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ex Officios are amazing, I'm a bigger dude, so lovely underwear is how chafing happens, and they have never failed me.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ex officios are unofficial thread mascot, they rule

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thirded. Exofficio is great and I've never found another brand that came close.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ex Officios do own if you are a chubby man (probably also the thread mascot), not sure about any other people shapes tho.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
As a woman who also likes hiking and good underwear, Mark me down as another pro ex officio . Avoid anything with lace edging tho, last pair I got with it frayed super bad. Still wearable though!

I'm about 5 7 150lbs

I should check if they still have anything boyshort style. It's been a while.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a few pairs I got off Amazon and they were very inconsistent. Like the fabric and sizing felt completely different. Also my crotch gets like...a clammy feeling? Like yes the moisture wicking is happening but not comfortably.

I've since switched to Saxx and love them.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Hey all, looking for advice on two fronts for big boys like myself.

1) I already have a pair of heavier duty Scarpa SL Active boots which I use if I'm carrying heavier weight, uneven terrain or really going through heavy snow. But, I don't have any really light hiking shoes or boots that I can just throw on when taking the dog out to a muddy or packed snow hiking trail, so I need some lighter options. Typically I wear 13 or 13E. The width I need is more from the toe box (I have some awkward pinky toes that must have hammer toe or something), so it really depends on the shoe/boot if I go for 13E or 13. Any good options of light weight, mid height hiking boots I should look at for wider and large feet brethren?

2) I need hiking pants, just something all-weather for going on walks with the dog or hikes on a trail thats somewhat water/wind resistant, stretchy and comfortable. I'm a swole-fat type of body, so something that comes in size 40+ and with roomy thighs is a must.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got to hike a mountain for the first time in a few years this past week while visiting family :toot: nothing major - Mt Monadnock in New Hampshire:

Mega foggy when I arrived and just starting to get above the treeline:

Started to clear up while eating lunch at the summit

And for a few brief minutes it actually fully cleared :toot:

I hate how flat western New York is :'( so this was a real treat for me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

1) I already have a pair of heavier duty Scarpa SL Active boots which I use if I'm carrying heavier weight, uneven terrain or really going through heavy snow. But, I don't have any really light hiking shoes or boots that I can just throw on when taking the dog out to a muddy or packed snow hiking trail, so I need some lighter options. Typically I wear 13 or 13E. The width I need is more from the toe box (I have some awkward pinky toes that must have hammer toe or something), so it really depends on the shoe/boot if I go for 13E or 13. Any good options of light weight, mid height hiking boots I should look at for wider and large feet brethren?

2) I need hiking pants, just something all-weather for going on walks with the dog or hikes on a trail thats somewhat water/wind resistant, stretchy and comfortable. I'm a swole-fat type of body, so something that comes in size 40+ and with roomy thighs is a must.

I love these kind of hiking pants from Columbia. I'm 6'0 and wear a 38 inseam (and shrinking) and have never found them uncomfortable. They dry out real fast if wet from rain/sweat and the removable bottoms comes in handy more than you might think, even if its just unzipping it halfway for ventilation while hiking.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-silver-ridge-convertible-pants-AM8004.html?dwvar_AM8004_color=028&pos=0

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oysters Autobio posted:

i really like my prana hiking pants, they're stretchy in all directions and i'm sure they make a 40" waist. also dwr which imo is more gimmick than functional. some of them are cut a bit tight in the leg but i think they also make roomier ones

e: columbia is also good, i have some shorts that have some elastic in the waistband as well as a cinch belt. it's worth noting that any zip-off pant is always going to be cut around the cargo short pattern, whereas full length pants can be whatever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I use the cargo pockets all the time while backpacking since its a good place to put a bandanna or something lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'm all about pockets, the point i was trying to make is how a zip-off is going to fit with more room around the thighs and crotch compared to pants

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Seconding Prana. I love my Stretch Zion Straights and have comfortably worn them in all conditions. They roll up at the ankle really well and have a nifty built-in cinch belt, too (which isn't everyone's style, but I dig it). If needed, the non-straight version might be a little roomier all around.

Senf fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 29, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Brions are a great alternative to the Zions too. They have a slim fit option and are a more plain design. I prefer them because the Zions were pretty baggy (though I'm sure that's better for actual climbing pants).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The Brions are a great alternative to the Zions too. They have a slim fit option and are a more plain design. I prefer them because the Zions were pretty baggy (though I'm sure that's better for actual climbing pants).

Yea seconding the Brions. You can go into town and not look like a complete goober with the slimmer legs. My pair has been great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have an oversized pair of Zions that make great layering pants and honestly fit really well once I've got the belt tightened. I recently got some Brions and am not entirely happy with how huge the cut is in the lower portion. I'm normally a 32 length but might be 30 in these.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Just a heads up on Zions and Brions. Their quality control is terrible. Go to the rack at whatever store you're buying them at and compare leg openings. I've seen differences of over an inch between pants marked identically.

I would suggest taking an armful to the changing room and trying them all on. I have 3 pairs of Zions, two that are baggy for climbing and one that is slim fit for day to day use. They're all marked 32Wx34L

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can anybody recommend a reliable hardwood walking staff?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It was "20% cloudy" on Turkey Day, which apparently meant every cloud in the region stayed directly over our spot on Mt Baker for the full 30hr we were there:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

blista compact posted:

Just a heads up on Zions and Brions. Their quality control is terrible. Go to the rack at whatever store you're buying them at and compare leg openings. I've seen differences of over an inch between pants marked identically.

I would suggest taking an armful to the changing room and trying them all on. I have 3 pairs of Zions, two that are baggy for climbing and one that is slim fit for day to day use. They're all marked 32Wx34L

That is bizarre given that prana is a pretty decent brand. I hate buying pants online, but it's been the only practical option this year.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Can anybody recommend a reliable hardwood walking staff?

A rake handle plus a copper plumbing cap will run you less than $10. You'll probably want to buy some two-part epoxy to stick the cap on the end, though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

blista compact posted:

This might seem obvious, but since I’ve never seen or heard of these issues despite loving Prana and spending a couple seasons working at REI, here goes

Are you sure these variations aren’t because of the (very poorly marked and often intermixed) differences between regular and slim cuts?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

A rake handle plus a copper plumbing cap will run you less than $10. You'll probably want to buy some two-part epoxy to stick the cap on the end, though.

This is for a gift. I want it to look nice, not like I made it out of garbage.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Gripweed posted:

If you live near a national or state park, check the gift shops there. I’ve seen them in places like that before, but never at a place like REI.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Oh, my bad. I use a rake handle sometimes and it's functional but you're right, it's not pretty. These days wooden sticks are out of fashion, so you run into a lot of stuff that's more decorative. I think Brazos is well-regarded for actual use and certainly their sticks look fantastic, or as another poster said there's usually some at the national park visitor centers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh, my bad. I use a rake handle sometimes and it's functional but you're right, it's not pretty. These days wooden sticks are out of fashion, so you run into a lot of stuff that's more decorative. I think Brazos is well-regarded for actual use and certainly their sticks look fantastic, or as another poster said there's usually some at the national park visitor centers.

The Brazos ones look perfect, thanks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I want to be that guy who hikes around with a full-on wizard staff, possibly including a magical gem or crystal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chard posted:

I want to be that guy who hikes around with a full-on wizard staff, possibly including a magical gem or crystal

Hey! I found a real wizard staff!

Real Wizard / Witch Staff | Real Quartz | Hand Made With ZERO GLUE | Entire tree and root system used | RARE Custom Made Staff

It's only $599.97. That's after a savings of $399.98 which of course is the standard price of a real wizard staff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can't afford not to buy it at that price

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For that price it better levitate me up the mountain.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nate fisher posted:

For that price it better levitate me up the mountain.

Isn't there a store like 30 miles up the Appalachian Trail that displays all the dumb poo poo people drop off? I can only imagine a few wooden hiking sticks in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yooper posted:

Isn't there a store like 30 miles up the Appalachian Trail that displays all the dumb poo poo people drop off? I can only imagine a few wooden hiking sticks in the mix.

If it was good enough for that weird English guy who wrote the walking book, it's good enough for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to hike nude down the Grand Canyon... Trails? No, thanks, I think not.