Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Excuse me, if you read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", you will see that libertarianism can totally work in a space colony provided you cede decision-making and resource allocation to an ultimate unquestionable authority, which is okay as long as it's an AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm currently reading a book about how a planned "libertarian commune" turned into a bear-infested shithole. Cannot WAIT to see the version of that with added "the outside is deadly beyond belief and you need incredibly complex and well-maintained kit just to survive"

Edit: now I want to re-read the Freeman On The Land thread. That was the goooooood poo poo.

Likely wouldn't be as dramatic. It would just be, "Oops, no one wanted to lose their freedom and do maintenence on the life support system. Everyone died while sleeping. "

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the book called?

I believe they're referring to "A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear"

Great story

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol that he thinks this would hold up in court. Anyway, keep the apartheid dream alive I guess, Musk.

I mean, what are the courts gonna do about mars?

Like necessarily yes any extraplanetary colony is going to have its own dispute resolution process, because they literally cannot be subject to the authority of another loving planet, you can't call space 911 and send the space cops to shoot up the mars colony.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Oct 31, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

This falls into the "much ado about nothing" territory. By international treaty he's right. But it doesn't matter at all because any laws you violate in international waters are still crimes back home.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Likely wouldn't be as dramatic. It would just be, "Oops, no one wanted to lose their freedom and do maintenence on the life support system. Everyone died while sleeping. "

More likely it would be along the lines of what you get when you privatize essential services and they end up being really expensive and lovely

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Me after getting the janitor job on Elon Musk's interplanetary Lolita Express

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big hand to elon musk for inventing the concept of the nation state by himself.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Speaking of corporate mars, there was a front page article series on the idea.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

OwlFancier posted:

Like necessarily yes any extraplanetary colony is going to have its own dispute resolution process, because they literally cannot be subject to the authority of another loving planet, you can’t call space 911 and send the space cops to shoot up the mars colony.

Lmao never heard of the Space Force huh? That’s how you catch a KE tungsten rod through the middle of your colony

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

^^ bien sur! ^^^

Paladinus posted:

Slightly altered.

Passing laws to restrict cosmic ray bombardment to own the libs

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dabir posted:

weird that they never made any of those

System Shocks 1 &2 were dungeon crawlers with a sci-fi coating and you know it :colbert: Yeah, to be fair they were limited by the tech of their time, but still. Prey actually felt like a space game (or at least it did to me) what with its zero-g elements.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Best part of a hamburger

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

i will eat them straight from the jar in large quantities
and then forget a day or two later and get terrified

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Telltolin posted:

i will eat them straight from the jar in large quantities
and then forget a day or two later and get terrified

Reminds me of a friend who, in his 20s, are asparagus for the first time. The next day, we were playing frisbee and he offered me a bottle of water from a case in the back seat of his car, warning me the water would make my urine smell.

He was mystified when I asked if he had asparagus recently, wondering how the hell I knew.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

how high up would you have to be so that you could piss and finish the entire piss before any of ur piss actually hit the ground
Height = Rate * friction * number in volume * fi give up someone else do the Drake equation for doin' a Bushwhacked * fcrosswind * faltitude * fhumidity

stringless has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Oct 31, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

love 'em on my pizza

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Danaru posted:

Elon Musk's interplanetary Lolita Express

Ah, no doubt powered by an Epstein Drive.

*Flies around at relativistic speeds* "I swear she's 18, in a stationary frame of reference"

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sure do. Grandma always jarred them. I should really pick up that tradition.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PizzaProwler posted:

Sean Connery died. Just thought I'd let everyone know before the confusing memes come in.

rude

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

I'm ready to take on the day now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXkbJwrN38

RIP(iss) to a truly lovely human who happened to be famous.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Oct 31, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Slightly altered.

Oh man, Cherdenko is going to be so disappointed!

e: Also, who doesn't eat pickled beets :confused: (I prefer crinkle-cut slices but really it's just a matter of convenience. Whole ones are slippery devils and sometimes instead of cutting one you just launch it someplace, usually onto whatever you most want to not be instantly dyed red.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Oct 31, 2020

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

FFT posted:

Height = Rate * friction * number in volume * fi give up someone else do the Drake equation for doin' a Bushwhacked * fcrosswind * faltitude * fhumidity

i think the simpsons gif was in reference the the 'life in the womb' conversation, not the piss terminal velocity question

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I regret to inform everyone who said they eat pickled beets that they've been leading a deprived life, because my wife's pickle beets are the best.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

I regret to inform everyone who said they eat pickled beets that they've been leading a deprived life, because my wife's pickle beets are the best.

grandpa how are you posting from the grave

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

this is the best virgin/chad I've ever seen, thank you

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm currently reading a book about how a planned "libertarian commune" turned into a bear-infested shithole. Cannot WAIT to see the version of that with added "the outside is deadly beyond belief and you need incredibly complex and well-maintained kit just to survive"

Edit: now I want to re-read the Freeman On The Land thread. That was the goooooood poo poo.

Can you share a link to the freeman thread, I love that junk (I assume it was about sovcit weirdness?)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

50s girl groupon posted:

oh hey Blind Guardian

Thanks for this! I heard a song of theirs and it owned and I wanted to hear more and then couldn't think of the name.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Slippery posted:

Can you share a link to the freeman thread, I love that junk (I assume it was about sovcit weirdness?)

I can't find it, sadly. I suspect it was an offshoot of a schadenfreude thread.

And yes. The book is A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear. The article that got me to buy the book is here: https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Depends on how much you have to pee.

But assuming no wind and your average urine output of 300ml over 21 seconds you're looking at about 250 feet to have a stream neither touching your dick or the ground.

*deletes my search history to find the closests 251 foot building, how deep the grand canyon is, if liquid will kill people from falling to high*

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXkbJwrN38

RIP(iss) to a truly lovely human who happened to be famous.

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Its you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

snergle posted:

if liquid will kill people from falling to high*

I too can't remember if rain is inconvenient or literally deadly. Rain is God peeing.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

snergle posted:

*deletes my search history to find the closests 251 foot building, how deep the grand canyon is, if liquid will kill people from falling to high*

i'm doubtful your urethra is wide enough to allow the kind of throughput needed for it to be lethal

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Flint_Paper posted:

I can't find it, sadly. I suspect it was an offshoot of a schadenfreude thread.

And yes. The book is A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear. The article that got me to buy the book is here: https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Dang well thanks anyway, I appreciate the effort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i'm doubtful your urethra is wide enough to allow the kind of throughput needed for it to be lethal

the literal sky doesn't have the ability to put out lethal streams of water (at least impact-wise) due to the terminal velocity of water droplets being kinda low