Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Amid Evil is a very satisfying manifestation of what Quake could have been like if it leaned into more of its original design.
It's even got the world select as a level of its own like quake 1 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So Monster Hunter World is on sale but apparently there's like £500 of dlc and my eyes started glazing over as I tried to figure it out. Is there some kind of game of the year edition that has everything, I don't mind paying a little extra so long as it's not literally the price of a new iphone. Or is this actually a gacha game service thing, because screw that.

Propaganda Hour posted:

It may have been missed in the Halloween sale, but Black Mesa development did not stop at launch. The Crowbar Collective announced last night: Black Mesa Definitive Edition Beta is now available for opting in: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/362890/view/2925611484592371251

What's in definitive edition, you say?
Art and aesthetic design passes on "We've Got Hostiles", "On a Rail", "Questionable Ethics", "Surface Tension", and "Forget About Freeman!" chapters
Lighting and level design passes on "Powered Down" and "On a Rail"
Better Steam Workshop support

Black Mesa is currently 50% off, $9.99! What the gently caress that's a lot of improvements.

Aw hell yeah. I just got it on the sale, it's pretty great although I have to admit I miss the cheesy techno music stings from the original.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

So Monster Hunter World is on sale but apparently there's like £500 of dlc and my eyes started glazing over as I tried to figure it out. Is there some kind of game of the year edition that has everything, I don't mind paying a little extra so long as it's not literally the price of a new iphone. Or is this actually a gacha game service thing, because screw that.

Base game, and Iceborne expansion are all you need. Dont buy the rest, its a scam.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ultrafilter posted:

Early game Doom has a survival horror flavor that a lot of modern shooters don't, but even by episode 2 that was pretty much gone.

What is happening in this thread today

Am I taking crazy pills

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I do think the original Doom had a grimness to it that newer titles lack but I couldn't really tell you why
There is by no means anything even slightly survival horror-like about the original Doom, but I agree that Doom 1 was maybe a bit more grim in its presentation. It was a game that took itself fairly seriously. Doom 2 was when they realized that nobody gives a flying gently caress about Doom as a serious sci-fi horror FPS and people just enjoyed blasting the gently caress out of the demons to synthesized MIDI metal tracks.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

I do think the original Doom had a grimness to it that newer titles lack but I couldn't really tell you why

I think a lot of that had to do with how the levels never had any sense of being recognisable places, but had enough intention behind them that they were more than just arenas. Like, you weren't fighting in hell but there was never any sense that somebody would actually live or work in these buildings.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just redownloaded and played the first couple of levels of The Ultimate Doom to make sure I wasn't misremembering, and I don't think I have the same definition of survival horror as other folks :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So Monster Hunter World is on sale

There should be like a Master Edition that includes both the base game and Iceborne

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They don't mean that the first Doom is literally a survival horror game as we understand it in 2020, just that it has atmospheric elements other than RAH RAH SHOOT MONSTERS. And I agree.

Seriously, replay the first episode of the first Doom. There aren't actually that many monsters, even on Ultra-Violence, and a surprising amount of time is spent running down empty or almost-empty corridors, flipping switches and finding keycards as you hear monsters ominously grunting from off-screen. Of course that doesn't even register to us today, since we're so jaded after almost three decades of first-person games, but it was there.

However, yes, the fact that Doom 2 is so tonally different from its predecessor means that most of the appeal really did come from the rip and tear aspect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Base game, and Iceborne expansion are all you need. Dont buy the rest, its a scam.

Wow, impressive. Is there an in-game store/digital currency or are the microtransactions restricted to the storefront.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, impressive. Is there an in-game store/digital currency or are the microtransactions restricted to the storefront.

It's all storefront. If you don't seek it out you'll never even know they existed. We had a 50 page derail about this a while back but it's the least intrusive poo poo ever and they never once push you to buy cosmetics so it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't call it a scam, it's just a bunch of dumb cosmetics for people who want them.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Wasn't really a derail when mods literally said this was the right place to discuss the topic sans sniping, but ok.

Dumb cosmetics in fully priced games (with paid expansions) are scams, op.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Every resident evil and silent hill would be improved if you moved at Doomguy speed.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Ok I know it's a far out comment but there really is something creepy and survival-horror esque about original Doom, especially on harder difficulty where the ammo becomes extremely scarce. I'm asking you to look past the obviously frenetic aspects of the game and think about those creepy FM sounds (not all the soundtrack is metal, tracks like "Dark Halls" and "They're Going To Get You" are sparse, ambient affairs), lonely crude polygonal environments, flashing dark/light coridoors, claustrophobic mazes. It's maybe not obvious on the surface but when you juxtapose it with D2016 I can't help but think something that makes it what it really is, is missing. I don't think I'm wrong on this when you inspect the game beyond its surface presentation.

I probably shouldn't have said it was "actually a survival horror game" but I feel there's a valid point in this critique!

perc2 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 31, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

mycot posted:

Every resident evil and silent hill would be improved if you moved at Doomguy speed.

Just every game, period, nothing frustrates me more in video games than slow movement speed. Or taking fifteen years to get up a ladder, things like that.

Yeah, survival horror is not for me at all

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

explosivo posted:

It's all storefront. If you don't seek it out you'll never even know they existed. We had a 50 page derail about this a while back but it's the least intrusive poo poo ever and they never once push you to buy cosmetics so it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't call it a scam, it's just a bunch of dumb cosmetics for people who want them.

Right on, if a game is going to have a hilarious amount of dlc (something which I think is questionable, but I'm tired of debating horse armour at this point) then that is the right way to do it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

perc2 posted:

Ok I know it's a far out comment but there really is something creepy and survival-horror esque about original Doom, especially on harder difficulty where the ammo becomes extremely scarce. I'm asking you to look past the obviously frenetic aspects of the game and think about those creepy FM sounds (not all the soundtrack is metal, tracks like "Dark Halls" and "They're Going To Get You" are sparse, ambient affairs), lonely crude polygonal environments, flashing dark/light coridoors, claustrophobic mazes. It's maybe not obvious on the surface but when you juxtapose it with D2016 I can't help but think something that makes it what it really is, is missing. I don't think I'm wrong on this when you inspect the game beyond its surface presentation.

I probably shouldn't have said it was "actually a survival horror game" but I feel there's a valid point in this critique!

I get it. That vibe was mostly already gone by Doom 2, though, so you're more than two decades late.

explosivo posted:

I'm not going to lie, there's an event hat bundle sale in Vermintime 2 going on right now, and I jumped on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not going to lie, there's an event hat bundle sale in Vermintime 2 going on right now, and I jumped on it.

Hell yeah! Dumb cosmetics are cool and good when you're not pressured into buying them. I've not played Vermintide 2 in many years after my group kinda grew tired of it, have they turned that game around? I remember not being super pleased with the gear system last time I was playing it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Regardless of whether cosmetic DLC is ethical or not, there really should be separate DLC sections for cosmetics and out of game extras so that when someone who doesn't know what things are browses a page they can see how much real content DLC there is. But then I suspect a number of games rely on that ambiguity to sell their DLC artbooks and hats.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Hell yeah! Dumb cosmetics are cool and good when you're not pressured into buying them. I've not played Vermintide 2 in many years after my group kinda grew tired of it, have they turned that game around? I remember not being super pleased with the gear system last time I was playing it.

Depends on what you mean by turned around. The core gameplay and mechanics are still mostly the same, but there have been lots of little (and big) QoL improvements over the years. For example, you can now speed up the chest-opening animation and the mission end screens by pressing space, which is a pretty big timesaver.

If it's the interface that was bugging you, I would recommend coming back and giving it another try. If you didn't like the combat, stay away, that part is mostly the same (I personally love it). If it's the leveling and equipment...to be honest, once you have the set-up you want, there's not much reason to ever change it again. Maybe switch in a trinket without curse resistance if you're not picking up grims, that sort of thing.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 31, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info, I think the combat was about the only thing I really loved about the game. Being a shield bashing dwarf never got old for me. The feeling of needing to get grims and tomes in every run to get better gear is I think what eventually did me in. I'm reinstalling it anyway, seems like it's as good a time as any to get back in and see what's changed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's another improvement, the forge interface has been changed and you can upgrade items to a higher tier, all the way up to red (you need red dust for that though). As long as you've managed to collect enough miscellaneous garbage beforehand, you can craft anything you want.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
In Vermintide 2, I see this DLC of the grail knight, can you have him and Markus both playing at the same time? Or is the grail knight just a sub class for Markus?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Grail Knight is a Kruber class with some extra dialogue lines thrown in. All of the characters will eventually have a fourth class added, according to the devs.

I personally like GK a lot, he gives boosts to the team by accomplishing deeds during the mission, and he's a really powerful melee class. No ranged options, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

They don't mean that the first Doom is literally a survival horror game as we understand it in 2020, just that it has atmospheric elements other than RAH RAH SHOOT MONSTERS. And I agree.

Seriously, replay the first episode of the first Doom. There aren't actually that many monsters, even on Ultra-Violence, and a surprising amount of time is spent running down empty or almost-empty corridors, flipping switches and finding keycards as you hear monsters ominously grunting from off-screen. Of course that doesn't even register to us today, since we're so jaded after almost three decades of first-person games, but it was there.

However, yes, the fact that Doom 2 is so tonally different from its predecessor means that most of the appeal really did come from the rip and tear aspect.

Counterpoint - they set the tone with E1M1. There are spooky levels, but the game as a whole is not spooky.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

update on this: they actually recently changed it to now be intrusive, as DLC pendants and gestures you don't own are now shown in the ingame menu, with links to the steam store from them (also the links originally didn't work or something so they added a patch just to make them work that was somehow 2.6 goddamn GB). so it's now dumb as poo poo and I will not defend it. that said, for anyone willing to put up with it and trying to parse what actually matters out of everything on the game's store page, Iceborne is the only thing that matters. and I would wait on iceborne until you hit the credits of the base game, as it's almost all post-credits content and the new stuff you can use before that point is overpowered since the base game wasn't designed around it.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

PlushCow posted:

In Vermintide 2, I see this DLC of the grail knight, can you have him and Markus both playing at the same time? Or is the grail knight just a sub class for Markus?

Grail knight is a lot of fun and one of the easier classes. You have a super strong signature ability that can one shot bosses if you drink a strength potion before you use it and you have mini quests for your team to do every map that give you great bonuses like passive regen or an extra 10% attack speed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

update on this: they actually recently changed it to now be intrusive, as DLC pendants and gestures you don't own are now shown in the ingame menu, with links to the steam store from them (also the links originally didn't work or something so they added a patch just to make them work that was somehow 2.6 goddamn GB). so it's now dumb as poo poo and I will not defend it. that said, for anyone willing to put up with it and trying to parse what actually matters out of everything on the game's store page, Iceborne is the only thing that matters. and I would wait on iceborne until you hit the credits of the base game, as it's almost all post-credits content and the new stuff you can use before that point is overpowered since the base game wasn't designed around it.

I still don't consider it very in-your-face, I have like 90 hours in the game and JUST found out you can decorate your house which is the first place I've ever seen the in-game links to the steam store page. As for buying Iceborne before you finish the main game, I'd say it's worth considering as long as money's not tight and you're enjoying the game-- having the expansion adds some new combos to weapons and the clutch claw tool, and if you play through the entire base game and then get it later, it might feel weird adjusting your playstyle to incorporate the new tools. It'll make the game a little easier, but not by that much.

What IS OP as hell (and available with or without Iceborne I think) is the Guardian armor and Defender weapons that were added as sort of a "catch-up" mechanic for players new to the game wanting to hurry up and get to Iceborne. I do not recommend using these, especially the armor -- it's available from the start, super easy to craft, and has extremely high defenses that will just encourage sloppy play and leave you overwhelmed when you eventually outgrow it. You also miss out on the fun of putting together different skill builds. My advice is to just pretend like it isn't there.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Getting used to the new movesets and the clutch claw is totally worth making the high rank game a bit easier.

Also it's weird to live in a world where Demon's Souls is offering preorder-only weapons and armor while Monster Hunter sells you exclusively cosmetic stuff, what with Capcom being who they are and all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

perc2 posted:

Ok I know it's a far out comment but there really is something creepy and survival-horror esque about original Doom, especially on harder difficulty where the ammo becomes extremely scarce. I'm asking you to look past the obviously frenetic aspects of the game and think about those creepy FM sounds (not all the soundtrack is metal, tracks like "Dark Halls" and "They're Going To Get You" are sparse, ambient affairs), lonely crude polygonal environments, flashing dark/light coridoors, claustrophobic mazes. It's maybe not obvious on the surface but when you juxtapose it with D2016 I can't he lp but think something that makes it what it really is, is missing. I don't think I'm wrong on this when you inspect the game beyond its surface presentation.

I get what you're saying. Those flashing light hallways in... E1m2? were p spooky. It's more straight horror than survival horror is all. I think if you play it without saving (so you restart a mission with only a pistol when you die) it becomes a bit more survival horrory.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Is the concensus on Spelunky 2 that it's genuinely harder than the first or have I just become worse at this game? Not even talking about the moles and early levels, but like, everything. I used to routinely beat Yama in the first, no problem, but with this one I've only beaten it the 'normal' way a few times and trying to go the long way is absolute murder.

I'm stubbornly avoiding the Spelunky thread because I'm trying to discover most of the secrets and alternate routes on my own and I'm very wary of spoilers so I don't know what the talk is... For what it's worth the furthest I've gotten is getting Qilin on 6-3 once, but I died before making it to Tiamat. I got my hands on the Tablet of Destiny a few other times but couldn't make it to 6-2. I have no idea what to do with Qilin or what's after Tiamat, and I haven't even gotten started on Volcana secrets cause I've no idea how to dislodge that stupid drill, which is the obvious starting point. This isn't a request for help or spoilers by the way so please don't tell me anything, I'm not quite desperate yet. :)

It feels like not only are the enemies deadlier (particularly the sorceresses and necromancers in the temple, and the traps in Neo-Babylon - going through the temple without bombs because I have so few and need to save them for Anubis and Anubis II is just harrowing), but bombs are much scarcer. And robbing shopkeepers (and the Black Market) isn't as productive as it was in the first, which is good, but it makes resources and items rarer.

The most frustrating failures for me were getting to the CoG on 1 health, which meant losing my Ankh trying to sacrifice myself because the fall damage killed me before the sacrifice - I learned a lesson there, though - and having the Tablet on 6-2 but not finding the ushabti room, then dying while scrambling desperately to locate it before the ghost shows up.

Also getting petrified just sucks.

Maybe I expect too much of myself but... man, do I suck or is this game really that much harder?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yes it's much harder, to the point where I've seen plenty of people in the Spelunky thread get turned off by it even though they were avid players of the first game. My two cents is that it makes sense for the type of game it is, a straight forward expansion of the first game's premise without a huge deviation from it's mechanics. I doubt I will ever accomplish some of the wild end game stuff that I won't spoil you on, but I'm happy with the handful of normal wins under my belt.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 31, 2020

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Re-installing Supreme Commander 2 Cycle

The first hour: "Huh, why did everyone drag this again?"

Every subsequent hour: "Ah."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I forgot how much Vermintide 2 loving rules, god drat. The improvements to the crafting system make it much easier to deal with that whole part of the game which got tiresome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, the new Project Zomboid tutorial is kind of an rear end in a top hat. It made me eat a dead rotten mouse and then it laughed at me for it.

On the plus side, you don't have to strangle your wife anymore to skip it, so that's something.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Glare Seethe posted:

Maybe I expect too much of myself but... man, do I suck or is this game really that much harder?

The general consensus is that it is noticeably harder, yes. As somebody who never got super into the weeds on the original Spelunky, beat Olmec a few times but nothing else, I personally think the first area is harder and the rest is actually a bit easier - I find myself much more able to go the distance with this new one. Easier to buy things without going out of your way, and more secrets to find and make things easier on yourself, plus the ability to choose a path (between two options) commensurate to your abilities at the time. Take it with a grain of salt, because nobody else agrees with me, but I played the original Spelunky and this one equally hard, and I'm making a ton more 'progress' in Spelunky 2.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes it's much harder, to the point where I've seen plenty of people in the Spelunky thread get turned off by it even though they were avid players of the first game. My two cents is that it makes sense for the type of game it is, a straight forward expansion of the first game's premise without a huge deviation from it's mechanics. I doubt I will ever accomplish some of the wild end game stuff that I won't spoil you on, but I'm happy with the handful of normal wins under my belt.

Well that makes me feel better, at least! I really would like to discover at least some of the end-game stuff on my own, but do wish I could freely read/participate in the thread. That makes failures a bit more frustrating too as each one just pushes me further away from being able to do that. Maybe eventually I'll give in and spoil myself or just ask for tips.

John Lee posted:

Easier to buy things without going out of your way

That's interesting, my experience has been the opposite. I'm always saving so much money for the Hedjet that I usually don't have much left for bombs (which seem rarer in general, even in shops) or mobility items, and those seem to be crucial for at least a few critical points on the path (I'm hyper focused on the jungle/temple at the moment, don't know what the Volcana/Tide Pool path demands). I'm at least glad that Waddler exists to mitigate that a little bit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a lot of stuff on my wishlist, but I wound up buying mostly "here is a good escape from the hellworld that is 2020".
Pixel Puzzle Makeout League I like Picross-style puzzles, the plot sounds fun and silly, it just released yesterday, so who knows.
Pepper's Puzzles Did I mention I like Picross puzzles?
Whispers of a Machine I also like point-and-click.
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles I've used up Stardew Valley; here's hoping it scratches some of the same itch.
Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal I hear these are good and it's currently way cheap.

In the next 44 hours, if you like simulation/builder games at all, or if you've ever liked anything by Klei, go buy Oxygen Not Included right now. It's 40% off and you will get many many hours' playtime out of it.

e because time units are hard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Strong recommend on Heart's Medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOvxARtxqkw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I gotta say, that art style doesn't exactly scream quality. More of a "very misleading mobile ad" vibe.