Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Doing a called shot right now, they absolutely will be stupid enough to implement this at some point, and it will 100% kill the game lmao. "Oh, hold on, I died during that raid on the [whatever, some space bullshit]. I'll meet up with you guys in a bit, I just have to make a 45 minute round-trip to go pick up my guns."

World of Warcraft tried this at launch. All the corpses killed the servers so bad they had to implement a downtime to sweep the zones free of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also. I was going through my google docs and saw a link to a shared spreadsheet.

Accurate Star Citizen best estimated feature dates as of 7/26/16.xls

Ah the good olde days of 2016 when we could laugh at the non progress made.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

No it's not. SC is aiming to be somewhat like real life. If you walk outside your house you are taking a risk. The risks scale up pretty high the moment you enter a car, get into traffic... start engaging with people etc. Move from one location to another. Life has risks literally everywhere. The same will apply to Star Citizen. If you're so risk averse that you don't want to play the game because "risk" then this isn't the game for you. There will be ways of minimizing risk and playing in very chill/casual ways. However you'll never be able to completely negate risk no more so than you can in real life. (Hint: You can't)

quote:

SC is not nor has ever intended to be a mainstream game. So no, there doesn't need to be a balance.

quote:

That's absolutely true as an isolated generic statement. However in the context of Star Citizen where it actually matters and is applied it's absolute nonsense. If you're being punished too much or too frequently it's because you keep putting yourself in risky situations and for lack of a better term, failing. You've made bad choices. It isn't because "oh the game is too hard" or "oh the game is too punishing" it's not. You've made choices and those choices have resulted in significant risk and punishment for failure. You can fix those problems yourself without the design needing to be changed. As I said above, you will be able to minimize your risk.

quote:

Once death matters... it will matter for everyone and for the most part if they hit all their design cues it'll be pretty hard to identify you as a player to "gank". Which brings up another point. Do you assume there is going to be all combat all the time everywhere? Because there isn't. There might be combat potential but potential doesn't mean it'll end up happening. Just that it could happen.

There are going to be systems heavily occupied by advocacy, UEEN and other security forces that are more than capable of putting down any force of players that try to start trouble so I would liken it to something like this. You could be sitting on your computer playing your game enjoying yourself... and a plane could fall out of the sky that happened to be flying over your house... land on your house and kill you. The chances of that happening are very low... but it could happen. Now the chances of someone randomly deciding to start shooting up areas in safe systems is going to be considerably higher but still very low. Especially if CIG does in fact implement their plan of not allowing players to identifying players from NPC's. If they nail that then the chances drop even more significantly because the sort of people who might be inclined to do that won't be able to find targets to do it to which means they'll probably not bother.

Now that doesn't mean you won't end up in combat situations, but I suspect going forward the idea will be that it is extremely uncommon that players or NPC's will simply interdict you and attack you as soon as they catch you. They'll make demands... they'll offer you your life. If you refuse then they might act against you. Now obviously there will be the odd player that just wants to murder every player they see but again if they nail their design goal of not allowing players to know who a player is and who an NPC is... that'll probably reduce the chances of that happening significantly.

If nothing I've said seems reasonable to you then SC just isn't the game for you. At that point I'd say this isn't a SC design problem, it's a you problem.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/yUh8kbj.gifv

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"This was never meant to be a mainstream game and it will actively punish you for playing. Also hundreds of thousands of people will play in the verse at the same time, creating a surplus labor pool of newbies who will suck my dick for the chance to swab my decks. Also cig will make enough money to work on this game forever."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

No it's not. SC is aiming to be somewhat like real life.

Hold on a second, brb, I'm doing a corpse run.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

It's brilliant! With inheritance tax and constant deaths Croberts has figured out how to keep inflation from spiraling out of control. After your 30th death of the day you'll have less than you started with, with nothing to show for it!

I made this trade run and earned a cool $5K. How much did it cost me?

:negative:

My entire in-game family tree.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All this Dead *** series talk made me want to go and play some more of Dead Cells. Try it out, lacks multiplayer, but other than that it's very similar and has more intuitive controls. Feels great to die and run again, too.

I improved from failing at the first boss to reaching the final (secret) boss at highest difficulty over a year and it was immensely satisfying. And I am still in awe regarding what people can do - like reach the final boss (regular) without any weapons and killing him purely with weak stomping attack, their evade skill is just too godlike compared to mine.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Honestly what the gently caress...

:reddit: WTF?! Holy Gallant Energy Rifle?

https://i.imgur.com/q6IYl3c.mp4

Sometimes when you need to have some object viewable in some screen, like maybe some inventory panel, you spawn the object some unthinkable distance away with a camera. So then it looks like it's just in your inventory and you can spin it, but it's actually spawned in the world somewhere as some object.

In this case it looks like the player camera for this user is getting tangled up with the inventory view camera for some random gun. Maybe. No idea how they could screw that up but there it is. :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

All this Dead *** series talk made me want to go and play some more of Dead Cells. Try it out, lacks multiplayer, but other than that it's very similar and has more intuitive controls. Feels great to die and run again, too.

I improved from failing at the first boss to reaching the final (secret) boss at highest difficulty over a year and it was immensely satisfying. And I am still in awe regarding what people can do - like reach the final boss (regular) without any weapons and killing him purely with weak stomping attack, their evade skill is just too godlike compared to mine.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen was pretty good too - it's more of a standard RPG but it did some very interesting things with bosses, and the hit-a-wall, practice, gear, try again mixed with creative combinations of abilities/items to me was done very well. I never felt stuck, always that I was either doing something wrong or trying something too soon.

Kind of a messy game though, Dark Souls series seems better engineered overall.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

World of Warcraft tried this at launch. All the corpses killed the servers so bad they had to implement a downtime to sweep the zones free of them.

Heck, even when bodies despawned, for major events like the scourge plague at the launch of Wrath of the Lich King, sometimes there could be enough corpses in the main square of stormwind to make it virtually unplayable.

CIG is putting on an absolute masterclass in "Not paying attention to lessons that were learned decades ago" lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Heck, even when bodies despawned, for major events like the scourge plague at the launch of Wrath of the Lich King, sometimes there could be enough corpses in the main square of stormwind to make it virtually unplayable.

CIG is putting on an absolute masterclass in "Not paying attention to lessons that were learned decades ago" lol

Now I'm tempted to crosspost my multicrew rant from over on the FDev forums, because that's another area where they have managed to stay ignorant of two decades worth of game design experience. :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

lol loving crobbo with more idiocy...throwing out demon souls without understanding why the death mechanics work so well in those games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BeLX0DgRC8

Shut up. Roberts did not reference demon souls. loving lmao. (ugh now I gotta watch this dumb video haha)

tuo posted:

It's even worse...not only does he have no clue what demons souls, dark souls etc. is (he obviously never played them), he only uses demon's souls because it's a PS5 title soon launching. He has no idea what soulsbornes are....this is so pathetic

It physically hurts me. He's unironically exactly the typical parody of the clueless armchair game developer. "LIKE DARK SOULS!" but not remotely comprehending what that means or why.

tuo posted:

Yes and no (IIRC the only "prison" in soulsbornes is in bloodborne with the bagmen, but someone correct me please, I never finished DS3 or it's DLCs)

Arguably you could say that Seathe's Library, The Painted World, The Bloodborne Bagmen, and a few other things could qualify as "jail"

But lol nothing in souls is anything like roberts' nightmare world.

Hahahahaha he's actually talking about inheritance tax?! "The sins of the father..." jesus christ roberts!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's the one where the death mechanics are extremely well thought out and incorporated into the gameplay such that death no longer becomes a frustrating failure, but an expected part of the process of learning a level, and results in eventual victories being incredibly fulfilling.

It's not for everyone, and that's fine - I need to be in a certain mindset to enjoy a Soulsborne game, it takes a lot of mental dedication. But just minimizing it to "grinding for hours to get better" is, well, wrong.

They were being sarcastic :)

Mailer posted:

Souls continues to be one of the weird anomalies in video games. Doom, Street Fighter 2, CoD, Everquest... there's an endless list of games that wowed people and were subsequently cloned and improved until the genre died. Then years later someone does an amazing revival and it starts all over again.

Not Souls, though. Everyone who went to that well has oversimplified it down to: "it's hard so it's punishing, and death is a punishment, and you die a lot... so players like getting punished a lot!" Crobbler isn't the only idiot to do this but his handwavey design shows he also learned the wrong thing. Everyone is trying to making death a punishing failure and have deaths matter in order to ape the popular mechanics of a game series where death doesn't matter. Dev after dev makes this error and the market is full of "it's like dark souls but..." games where they've done the opposite of the thing they're trying to emulate.

This is going to be awesome when it gets implemented in SC and I can't wait.

This is a good post. Yeah agree on every count here. I think the souls like games that won't suck are coming (Nioh 1&2 weren't awful) but 3rd person animation driven games are a pain in the rear end compared to FPS, even action games like DMC are harder and I think Souls is harder to get right than a spectacle fighter still. So lots of devs at AAA aren't even trying.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 31, 2020

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

For me the main appeal of soulsbourne games is the feeling of mastery you get when you have everything figured out, enemies goes from being scary to easy to beat once you have acquired the knowledge needed to beat them. Running through an area for the first time and being scared of everything and then later you just rush through because now you are the scariest thing there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

trucutru posted:

If you avoid all the knights then the run to get squashed again by Ornstein and Smough takes less than 2 minutes.

But that's only if you define "the action" as being bosses when you're repeating boss runs. But trying to dodge enemies (or even fight your way back to the boss like you should) counts as "action" compared to the dull experience SC is promoting of laying on the ground on some moon while your shattered leg bleeds into your spacesuit, waiting for someone to come and heal you so you can stand up and move again.

Souls after you die you're back in the "action" in literally seconds, as soon as you're done loading. The only exception is if you're co-oping then you'll have to spend time activating humanity/embers/whatever and finding a sign, but you're still back in "action" in like, minutes.

Souls doesn't really waste your time. You may die and have to do things again, but each time you're instantly back doing the thing again. Like Megaman.

A game that wastes your time comparison would be Everquest.

Everquest makes you sit down and WAIT real-time for your character to heal and recover mana. Wizards that rely on mana end up spending half of combat just sitting on the ground "meditating" with their spellbooks to recover mana slightly faster. Doing NOTHING.

If you die, you may have to run literal hours to get back to where you were, if you don't have a friend with a teleport or SoW or something.

You have to spend hours and hours and hours grinding to get money or farming camps to get something worthwhile, and if you play on a PvP server, getting murdered can lose some of your gear and move you back all that grinding.

Dying loses you XP and makes you possibly de-level, so you have to grind it all out again. If you don't loot your corpse, you'll lose all the gear you had on you that isn't stored in the bank.

The game Star Citizen is closest to is not remotely Dark Souls type death, its Everquest type death.

Everquest is quite possibly my favorite gaming experience of all time. It was an electric virtual world that felt real and grounded in ways that modern MMO design like WoW doesn't really satisfy anymore. (look at the demand for WoW Classic)

So if Star Citizen did it right, they could feasibly make a really cool game experience where the game requires heavy investment. And it could be cool.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut everybody at CIG is incompetent so instead they're not making a game they're making jpgs and tech debt, there's no design document, and everything that EQ did right SC is going to do x100000 worse and it won't be fun remotely.

Sandweed posted:

For me the main appeal of soulsbourne games is the feeling of mastery you get when you have everything figured out, enemies goes from being scary to easy to beat once you have acquired the knowledge needed to beat them. Running through an area for the first time and being scared of everything and then later you just rush through because now you are the scariest thing there.

To me the point of Souls games is the bark is worse than the bite. You get into dungeons or bosses and you go "gently caress, that's too much. Maybe some pro gamer can do this, but I can't do this"

Then an hour later, you're shouting "gently caress YOU YES I DID IT I DID THAT poo poo"

Souls is about a balanced challenge and consistent mechanics so that success feels actually earned and so much sweeter than if it was just handed to you. You know what it means in a visceral personal way. Its about leveling up as a player, not as an rpg character.
Which is what old NES games like Castlevania and Megaman were like, before everything became about skinner box loot and leveling or a lengthy tutorial with automatic achievements that gets playtested to the point of being a snooze.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 31, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
str citzne should never be compared to another game, as it isn't one itself
The nearest thing I can compare it to is Bonzi Buddy, it's a pile of annoying poo poo that uses system resources for no good reason and is a shitter to try and uninstall

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

str citzne should never be compared to another game, as it isn't one itself
The nearest thing I can compare it to is Bonzi Buddy, it's a pile of annoying poo poo that uses system resources for no good reason and is a shitter to try and uninstall

Arguably, you could call it an ARG, since all the "gameplay" is done outside the game, in a meta shitposting sort of way.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the demons souls of space sims

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Doing a called shot right now, they absolutely will be stupid enough to implement this at some point, and it will 100% kill the game lmao. "Oh, hold on, I died during that raid on the [whatever, some space bullshit]. I'll meet up with you guys in a bit, I just have to make a 45 minute round-trip to go pick up my guns."

Wait, only 45 minutes? With all the running, elevator rides, train rides, and flight to exit the atmosphere? Did he die inside Loreville or something?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
I think whatever happens to your spaceman should also happen to you in real life: turning into a golf ball, deskeletonization, face removal. Part of that comes from getting into the halloween spirit, but I also believe it would be good for star citizen.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I made this trade run and earned a cool $5K. How much did it cost me?

:negative:

My entire in-game family tree.

Are you sure you weren't playing Crusader Kings?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Hell, they have enough trouble keeping a mining vehicle alive

:reddit: posted:

Yes the RoC has bugs but here are some easy workarounds:

1- Call RoC and wait at window. If RoC spawns then falls through world,spawns tilted,spawns "jittery" store RoC and try again until you get a clean spawn.

2- When you power on RoC immediately tap M 2 times. This is most important when roc is stored inside ship. This will keep the Roc from clipping/flipping/sliding into the geometry of the ship.

3- When mining turn engines OFF. This will keep the RoC from sliding or drifting while breaking-extracting.

4- Never ever for any reason leave the RoC seat while not inside transport ship. ATM there is a very high chance of falling through the world.

5- Try to always reverse the RoC into transport ship when using ships like the cutlass or freelancer. This makes leaving the ship much easier. Utilize the F4 camera to make this easy. Power off Roc before leaving seat.

6- After you call and load a RoC into a ship, head directly to a orbital station or Port O. Store [not claim] ship at terminal the call ship again. Roc will spawn inside of ship and in my experience this halves the bugs associated with the Roc for the remainder of the play session.

With practice the Roc can make 100-500 aUEC hr. It's buggy as F#&* right now but is still very usable. This is in no way a "get good" post just wanted to point out that we do have some easily learnable workarounds to a current problem.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just a few easy workarounds! Such as, do not use the Roc.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pixelate posted:

Any one of these should be enough to tell you the games turbo hosed.
"Spawn your car but if it falls through the ground just spawn another one until it doesn't"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

7- Put holy water around the computer exactly 8 inches from the cpu. You will need to measure this. If the cpu is too high off the floor do not attempt to spawn the roc.

8- Clap once, hit F, pay respects, and after saying the ABCs twice immediately hit Q then Y. This will prevent the roc from launching into orbit and killing you.

9- Click the left mouse button, right mouse button, K key, Space bar, middle mouse button, and within 4 seconds find the right hud menu item and open to menu 2 and set power to 75% to engines. This will allow you to drive the roc down a ramp. It works about 70% of the time guaranteed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Souls doesn't really waste your time...

A game that wastes your time comparison would be Everquest.

Isn't the point to compare SC to good games? Yes, EQ wastes your time, but so does Bugsy 3D.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Flannelette posted:

Any one of these should be enough to tell you the games turbo hosed.

That's for a single vehicle. Everything from flying to getting the UI to load to using an elevator has a list of workarounds designed to pretend this is a game you can play. It's yet another thing about SC that would be fun and hilarious as an indie game concept piece if it was done ironically.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Titanic posted:

7- Put holy water around the computer exactly 8 inches from the cpu. You will need to measure this. If the cpu is too high off the floor do not attempt to spawn the roc.

8- Clap once, hit F, pay respects, and after saying the ABCs twice immediately hit Q then Y. This will prevent the roc from launching into orbit and killing you.

9- Click the left mouse button, right mouse button, K key, Space bar, middle mouse button, and within 4 seconds find the right hud menu item and open to menu 2 and set power to 75% to engines. This will allow you to drive the roc down a ramp. It works about 70% of the time guaranteed.

Make the sign of the Holy Thumb and hammer Esc

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The third absurd ship showroom nears completion

Fittingly, the base-building Pioneer doesn’t seem to exist...

Neither does whatever the hell this is:

quote:

The Anvil Crucible

Featuring a rotating control bridge and a detachable pressurized workspace, the Crucible is a versatile mobile garage equipped with repair arms, a drone operation center and all the equipment needed to overhaul a damaged craft back into fighting shape.

IN CONCEPT
Concept complete.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

10 - Look up at the sky in game if the sun is in the east and the moon is setting then continue but if not you're gonna need to... etc etc

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

Yep this is the kind of dance that I keep referring to- this is the horseshit that every Citizen posting "Well I don't see any bugs" has done so often that they are now blind to it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

If steps 1-10 don't work for you it's probably your system and I'd consider an upgrade. If money is an issue this might not be the game for you.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I'm new to watching this dumpster fire with more attention than just hearing secondhand what a mess it is, but holy poo poo is it all so amazing. You all in this thread are doing god's work

I watched a video where some veteran shitizen was giving a noob a tour of the new babbage "city". At some point he says something like, "hey see that bar? next patch they're going to actually add bartenders that will make you drinks :smuggo: yeah..." He then shows the noob that you can purchase and consume a bottle of water as if that was the greatest thing to ever grace his computer monitor and was hopeful that "they will let us climb that in the future" when pointing out a climbing wall. Even the backers of this game have stupid loving priorities.

Their codebase and design patterns must be such a hellish disaster at this point that a broken bartender feature would take a month of work for multiple people, those poor bastards.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They actually finished and implemented the bartenders, and it's hilarious how much work they clearly put into their animations and AI, and it's still janky as hell and often broken.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

playground tough posted:

Their codebase and design patterns must be such a hellish disaster at this point that a broken bartender feature would take a month of work for multiple people, those poor bastards.

A month?!? I guess you really are new here! Welcome! :) Those bartenders were being built and hyped for years... seriously. It was supposed to be the base for their entire "subsumption" AI tech. You know, that would have AI indistinguishable from humans, and have bartenders live full and meaningful lives off screen, or whatever. Currently the big deal seems to be that occasionally, when they aren't janking out, they know where you move and serve you a drink. If you're lucky. This is how it is and how it always will be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What's funny is I didn't even realize until recently that "subsumption" isn't even a CIG invented buzzword. Its a concept from the 80s. But Chris heard someone say that subsumption was how you make powerful AI so boom, subsumption in Star Citizen, even if it doesn't make any sense really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsumption_architecture

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Once death matters... it will matter for everyone and for the most part if they hit all their design cues it'll be pretty hard to identify you as a player to "gank". Which brings up another point. Do you assume there is going to be all combat all the time everywhere? Because there isn't. There might be combat potential but potential doesn't mean it'll end up happening. Just that it could happen.

There are going to be systems heavily occupied by advocacy, UEEN and other security forces that are more than capable of putting down any force of players that try to start trouble so I would liken it to something like this. You could be sitting on your computer playing your game enjoying yourself... and a plane could fall out of the sky that happened to be flying over your house... land on your house and kill you. The chances of that happening are very low... but it could happen. Now the chances of someone randomly deciding to start shooting up areas in safe systems is going to be considerably higher but still very low. Especially if CIG does in fact implement their plan of not allowing players to identifying players from NPC's. If they nail that then the chances drop even more significantly because the sort of people who might be inclined to do that won't be able to find targets to do it to which means they'll probably not bother.

Now that doesn't mean you won't end up in combat situations, but I suspect going forward the idea will be that it is extremely uncommon that players or NPC's will simply interdict you and attack you as soon as they catch you. They'll make demands... they'll offer you your life. If you refuse then they might act against you. Now obviously there will be the odd player that just wants to murder every player they see but again if they nail their design goal of not allowing players to know who a player is and who an NPC is... that'll probably reduce the chances of that happening significantly.

If nothing I've said seems reasonable to you then SC just isn't the game for you. At that point I'd say this isn't a SC design problem, it's a you problem.

Ok this is interesting to me because this is apparently how some shitizens have wiggled their way out of the death penalty issue. The game will have hundreds of thousands of living NPCs indistinguishable from players, so you wouldn't even know who to grief!

Also, in this spaceship game which is ostensibly fun because you get to shoot your space lasers in your big sexy ship, actually you will only have the rare potential to shoot space lasers. Because like the real world, there is a huge death penalty and law enforcement is everywhere. So actually it will be just like real life where you just get in your car and take the freeway to work. This is what I want in my dream game.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

L. Ron Hoover posted:

A month?!? I guess you really are new here! Welcome! :) Those bartenders were being built and hyped for years... seriously. It was supposed to be the base for their entire "subsumption" AI tech. You know, that would have AI indistinguishable from humans, and have bartenders live full and meaningful lives off screen, or whatever. Currently the big deal seems to be that occasionally, when they aren't janking out, they know where you move and serve you a drink. If you're lucky. This is how it is and how it always will be.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's funny is I didn't even realize until recently that "subsumption" isn't even a CIG invented buzzword. Its a concept from the 80s. But Chris heard someone say that subsumption was how you make powerful AI so boom, subsumption in Star Citizen, even if it doesn't make any sense really.

Oh my god this rocks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsumption_architecture

Yes, these days we call it “Radiant™” and we are all quite familiar with how well it operates in video games when done poorly. And this is CI¬G — it will be done poorly.