Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I’m a gamer coward. I also love scary movies but I cover my eyes and ears in the tense parts. Somehow I made it through alien isolation so I know you guys can!!!! It’s the only game that I loved that I felt relieved to have finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am a 3d printing hobbyist and this fig leaf is basically a fun industry practice across the board when small time digital artists are playing in someone else's IP pool.. They get pretty creative with the Star Wars stuff to keep Disney off their tip.

I'm one of the Upright Bucket Drones.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am a 3d printing hobbyist and this fig leaf is basically a fun industry practice across the board when small time digital artists are playing in someone else's IP pool.. They get pretty creative with the Star Wars stuff to keep Disney off their tip.

That's awesome. Lobotomized assistant lol.

pech posted:

I’m a gamer coward. I also love scary movies but I cover my eyes and ears in the tense parts. Somehow I made it through alien isolation so I know you guys can!!!! It’s the only game that I loved that I felt relieved to have finished

No can do. You should see me when some of us in here play AvP 2010 and we're being chased by aliens popping out of vents. I need to be on xanax.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jesus, is that why that extremely minor character was named Lobot? I feel dumb as hell. He's a robot brain inside a lobotomized human. A lobot. I just assumed it was throwaway Lucas naming stupidity and never gave it a second thought before seeing a knockoff mini's name.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Jesus, is that why that extremely minor character was named Lobot? I feel dumb as hell. He's a robot brain inside a lobotomized human. A lobot. I just assumed it was throwaway Lucas naming stupidity and never gave it a second thought before seeing a knockoff mini's name.

:same:

Although that certainly fits in the Lucas Naming Stupidity, since the guy who sells "death sticks" is named Scumbaggio.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

He was just a human with cybernetics that hooked him up into the local databases on Cloud City.
So gently caress knows where Lucas came up with it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In my young childhood headcannon his name was Logan that got turned into a robot, hence Lobot. :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
His first name is Rob

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

happyhippy posted:

He was just a human with cybernetics that hooked him up into the local databases on Cloud City.

It has lojack on it.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I thought he's called Lobot because he's got robot bits plugged into his lobes.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No can do. You should see me when some of us in here play AvP 2010 and we're being chased by aliens popping out of vents. I need to be on xanax.

I actually think playing as a marine in things like AVP affects me worse than Isolation. You're better equipped obviously, but the game actually expects you to stand and fight. Isolation at least let me follow my natural instinct to run crouch-walk and hide under a table whenever I hear a scary noise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

happyhippy posted:

Supposedly he originally had lots of dialog but when they cut it all someone joked he was lobotomized and that's where the name came from.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Although that certainly fits in the Lucas Naming Stupidity, since the guy who sells "death sticks" is named Scumbaggio.

Sounds Italian.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well I'll be a motherfucker. More Alien: Isolation

Confirmed there's more than one alien in actual gameplay. I knew there were more in the game from a cinematic and level to level standpoint and lately it FELT like there were was at least more than one as I roamed around certain levels but this was the first time I was looking right at one and got completely hosed up by one right behind me. It was classic "Burke hides in a vent thinking he's safe and turns around to get completely owned"

I entered a room, heard/saw one drop into the room, scampered into a vent, hid there and watched it walk away but still heard noises then immediately turned around and got wrecked by another bitch hiding in the same vent. Now I want to try a noisemaker or a flare and see if I can draw multiple xenos to a spot. But I have a feeling that won't work.

I thought I'd seen everything this game had to throw at me and it was starting to get a little flat and repetitive but then *bang*. I screamed out loud and not for the first time. This loving game, man. Deserves way more love and a bigger following.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 19, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alien Isolation is currently $10 on Steam.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Well I'll be a motherfucker. More Alien: Isolation

Confirmed there's more than one alien in actual gameplay. I knew there were more in the game from a cinematic and level to level standpoint and lately it FELT like there were was at least more than one as I roamed around certain levels but this was the first time I was looking right at one and got completely hosed up by one right behind me. It was classic "Burke hides in a vent thinking he's safe and turns around to get completely owned"

I entered a room, heard/saw one drop into the room, scampered into a vent, hid there and watched it walk away but still heard noises then immediately turned around and got wrecked by another bitch hiding in the same vent. Now I want to try a noisemaker or a flare and see if I can draw multiple xenos to a spot. But I have a feeling that won't work.

I thought I'd seen everything this game had to throw at me and it was starting to get a little flat and repetitive but then *bang*. I screamed out loud and not for the first time. This loving game, man. Deserves way more love and a bigger following.

Might wanna fix that tag

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Iron Crowned posted:

Might wanna fix that tag

Done. Thanks

Ok...so I just beat the game and the ending felt really abrupt to me. I know a lot of people said the game dragged and there was too much backtracking but I never minded that. Going back to areas with new ways to unlock poo poo and deal with things is a video game hallmark that, to me, recalled poo poo like Metroid and Zelda. Seems to me the game is just about the right length even though people said it was too long.

My complaint was how little there was to final "boss fight", which was nothing more than a QTE that took about 90 seconds. It's a great game and I managed to download the Nostromo level and started loving around with that but there's not much new there beyond nostalgia.

There's really not much reason to play it again and I don't have much desire to. Maybe a NG+ where you have your weapons and items and playing on a harder difficulty. Is that a thing I'm not seeing? I think the game could be made better and open up replays after you beat the main campaign by letting you actually kill and fight the creature(s) on a second go round. Have it so on your first run it's all running and hiding but on a NG+, you can genuinely gently caress some poo poo up on occasion. Add multiple aliens earlier in the game.

This game really needs a sequel or some way to make it into a franchise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I need to finish Alien: Isolation at some point.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BiggerBoat posted:

This game really needs a sequel or some way to make it into a franchise.

I’m playing Alien Blackout right now on my iPad. It’s available for Android, too.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMFfjGPPYUo

Foodtuber I'm subscribed to is thinking about Aliens (the movie).

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I got this thing and I'm very happy with it.

Watching Alien movies is like the ultimate nostalgia trip.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Who want so to AvP Sunday? It's a bank holiday weekend so I can play into the wee hours of GMT.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0D1KrMpq2E

Reading 1 star reviews of Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm not about to watch a 1 hour video of a 1 star reviews of Aliens. Clearly it's a joke.

Can you sum it up for me?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not about to watch a 1 hour video of a 1 star reviews of Aliens. Clearly it's a joke.

Can you sum it up for me?

"James Cameron. You bastard."

"People don't actually talk like this."

"45 minutes before anything good happens!"

"Bad writing got them killed."

"Just because she can use a power loader doesn't mean she can fight with it."

"Dude-bro badass marines are a tired trope. USA USA! cringe."

"We lost a cool unknowable alien in favour of cool guns because they thought army men were a better idea."

"The most irritating of the bunch was Bill Paxton. Shame on you!"

"More aliens does not equal more scares."

"The spaceships looked second-hand."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:thermidor:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Animal Friend posted:

"James Cameron. You bastard."

"People don't actually talk like this."

"45 minutes before anything good happens!"

"Bad writing got them killed."

"Just because she can use a power loader doesn't mean she can fight with it."

"Dude-bro badass marines are a tired trope. USA USA! cringe."

"We lost a cool unknowable alien in favour of cool guns because they thought army men were a better idea."

"The most irritating of the bunch was Bill Paxton. Shame on you!"

"More aliens does not equal more scares."

"The spaceships looked second-hand."

what

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

told no lies

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

guys I'm thinkin 'bout thos Aliens

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Are you a human, thinking 'bout those Aliens, or are you an Alien, dreaming of those sweet, succulent flesh-bags?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Are you a human, thinking 'bout those Aliens, or are you an Alien, dreaming of those sweet, succulent flesh-bags?

I'm an android and I know nothing but penis envy.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy hell am I glad you guys are sensible non-assholes, because there are some crazy motherfuckers in the fandom.

Not TOO many, but enough that make me say "what the gently caress am I doing" when I try to engage with them.

I must be an idiot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I generally don't like any type of fandom or especially fan fiction. It's all just people being obsessed in an unhealthy way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I generally don't like any type of fandom or especially fan fiction. It's all just people being obsessed in an unhealthy way.
Eh it depends. I used to be one of those "unhealthy" fans but I've since come around that if you let people do what they want then everyone can be happy and enjoy what they want to enjoy. There are large groups of the fandom who think the same way, and then occasionally you get zealots who get all crazy and dumb.

Also I may or may not be part of a Star Wars video game group that does casual fan fiction about our characters; we don't get stupid about it and have our characters kick the poo poo out of Darth Vader or whatever, and we're generally light-hearted about it and just in it to have a good time. :shobon:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was reading Level E the other day, and I forgot about this panel.

The guy with the long hair says "They really need to stop making sequels to that movie Alien."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Search Google for 'sexy xenomorph'

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

I was reading Level E the other day, and I forgot about this panel.

The guy with the long hair says "They really need to stop making sequels to that movie Alien."

Yet another reason why anime is terrible.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HiroProtagonist posted:

Search Google for 'sexy xenomorph'

I will not;

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

It’s a self selecting group though. Once you cross the line from wishing there was more of the good content, to trying to make it yourself, all hope is lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Yet another reason why anime is terrible.